reaper6666
+0|6704
just got SF and been trying it out in singleplayer, just to get used to maps, but on some maps i have been getting "lag" is this my comps fault or has any1 else had this problem.
b4 u say buy a new comp here r my specs.

intel pentium 4 with H/T
3.2GHz
1 Gig Ram 2 x 512
80 Gb H/D (just got today)
Nvidia 6800 (2 month old)

please help!
US|dirtysouth
purple sticky punch
+0|6784|englewood FL.
http://www.forumplanet.com/planetbattle … 93&p=1
this is wat my buddy in my clan found, but i havent tried it yet ...been playen alot of CS:S agian...
hope it helps...btw he siad it helps
reaper6666
+0|6704
thanks for the help, US|dirtysouth off 2 try it now, will let u no if it works.

thanks again.
reaper6666
+0|6704
it helped a bit but still got a bit lag, i noticed that when i play that map BF is using over 570Mbs of Ram???

thanks again.
ResDog1
+51|6735|Netherlands
Also visit the tweakguide.com and tweak your settings. After this I had no problems anymore.
[Chill.zone] Link
+0|6684
For me that did work a bit, but I still get low-FPS and HW-lag at the beginning of the rounds for 2-3 minutes. It's unplayable for that long. I figured out how to get rid of it completely, but I strongly suggest to be very carefull with this. If I enable AGP-Fastwrites in the BIOS and install the proper chipset AND graphics drivers who support fastwrites it is completely gone. AGP-fastwrites can bring instability to you're system and even get you're windows to freeze if you don't install the right drivers or have the wrong graphics card/chipset.

For those who don't know what fastwrites i'll try to explain in short:
If you have the right chipset and graphics card who support fastwrites and have the right drivers with fastwrites enabled installed, it enables the graphicscard to use the datatransfer between graphicscard GPU and you're CPU directly without needing to get it through you're RAM. This speeds certain things up, like terrain rendering and other things where speed between GPU and CPU matters and you will get less RAM usage. The savest thing to do would be to buy more and fater ram to compensate but I won't buy more if I can get the same results with some hours of tweaking my system. If you get it running flawless without causing instability you should get a boost on cetain graphiccard features of up to 10%.

As I said, for me it did the trick. I normally have 5-7FPS more and no hardware lag at all now, not even at the beginning of the first round of the day. I had to use an older version of the omega drivers for my ATI card and even an older version of my chipset drivers to get it to work properly without causing instability. With the newest official ATI drivers my system would crash to bios-start when i tryed to start any 3D process.
I would say this is advanced and will take some time to optimise, but for those of you who like tweaking, it's worth the try.
One final note: If you have VIA chipset on you're MOBO don't try it. Fastwrites doesn't work on VIA chipsets and best on nforce chipsets.

Edit:
I'm always one of the first to complete loading now, before tweaking I sometimes had problems with auto-idle kickscripts due to long loading times.
And for my specs, surely mid-end:
AMD athlon XP 3200+ on Asus board with nforce2 chipset (200FSB)
ATI radeon 9800SE@PRO with softmod (a bit less performance then a real PRO)
512MB DDR333 cl2.5 | 512MB DDR400 cl2 running on 200mhz CL3
120GB IDE 7200UPM 8MB HD

Last edited by [Chill.zone] Link (2005-12-09 07:01:40)

reaper6666
+0|6704
thanks for all of your help, and it has helped me out alot, 1 other thing i done was also to lower the video settings on BF from high to low as BF must do this automatically when being installed, 1 other problem i have come across is when the maps r changing it takes me ages to get back in to play, by the time i get in 1 flag has already been captured, some players r already on 10/12 points its like i miss a couple of mins at the start of every game.

Last edited by reaper6666 (2005-12-24 03:56:25)

broncobullfrog
Extra Tender Juicy SPINY
+58|6721|The 70's
Like the guy said, the BF2tweaks.com guide is excellent. Bf is a monster on resources, (that RAM figure you give is normal), and it wont tolerate any glitch in your system. Make sure all your drivers (video, sound etc are up to date - I had a problem which turned out to be my mouse and keyboard drivers). Also you dont mention your sound set-up. This is a common source of probs, make sure you have the correct settings selected, disable EAX etc as bf2tweaks advises. And close down as many background processes as you safely can (but keep your firewall on when playing on-line). Your rig is certainly capable of handling the game at low settings (maybe even medium on some), and it may take a little time and effort, but you'll get there, and believe me its worth it.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard