We shall see Tuesday.
they'll delay it until Thursday.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6593|132 and Bush

Xbone Stormsurgezz
nightprowler
+1|6617
i too have been waiting for this game since i first heard about it. i've had it pre-orderd for about a year now and cant wait till i get my hands on it next week.
Ty
Mass Media Casualty
+2,398|6767|Noizyland

I pre-ordered it today. It's out in NZ on the 28th, or so I heard. I've been 'researching' it a bit and it seems fucking awesome. One would hope that many years of development would mean a true masterpiece. Still, cautious optimism is my stance and I'm keeping to it.
[Blinking eyes thing]
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/tzyon
Jestar
Shifty's Home Number: 02 9662 8432
+373|6733

Something Awful Presents!

Something Awful wrote:

Choosing not to implement local multiplayer in a game that already has system link and/or online modes increases the likelihood that friends who would have otherwise played against one another on the same system will give in and buy multiple copies of your title. It also increases the likelihood that you are a butt of mythical proportions.

Last I checked, splitting a screen into equal sections is like the second thing you learn in programming, right after getting the screen to print "HELLO WORLD" and right before you learn how to turn a computer on. I'm pretty sure that every console released this generation has room for at least four controllers too, and that numbers 2-4 aren't there in case the first one runs out of batteries.

Your assholery is even more apparent when your game features split screen modes that can only be played online or with multiple systems linked together. That right there is as ballsy as acquiring the rights to the Shadowrun license and using it to make a multi-platform team-based FPS, and only marginally smarter.

Please stop.

Yours truly,
Everyone

After years of anticipation and stupid jokes about the superfluous periods in its title, S.T.A.L.K.E.R. has finally gone gold. While early reports indicate that it's a fun rpg shooter that manages to introduce some new concepts, the final game is very different from the impossibly complex wasteland of horrors that was initially hyped six years ago. So many incredible features were promised at the outset, so which ones made it and which had to be scrapped?

Then:
The game world will consist of a fully explorable thirty square mile area surrounding Chernobyl. This desolate zone will be packed with dangerous and unsettling details to reward those brave enough to scour its entirety.
Now:
Players can mill about the fenced-in backyard of a house thirty miles away from Chernobyl. Also, there's the alien homeworld Xen.

Then:
Not only can you drive abandoned cars that you come across, but they will be incredibly realistic. You must keep an eye on your gas and oil levels, make sure the windshield wiper fluid is full, wiggle the handle if you want to roll down the passenger side window, and keep up-to-date insurance records.
Now:
You can press Shift to run.

Then:
Other Stalkers live their own lives by eating, sleeping and collecting the very artifacts that you're after. They can actually beat the game before you.
Now:
Stalkers live their own lives at predetermined spawn points by standing perfectly still and beating other games on their Nintendo DSes.

Then:
In order to function you must eat, drink water, sleep, urinate, defecate and brush your teeth. Overgrown fingernails can get caught in your gun, jamming it at inopportune times.
Now:
Floating white boxes with red crosses on them = health.

Then:
Unpredictable and deadly pockets of energy called "anomalies" lie in wait to kill you. Many are invisible, requiring you to scout them out by tossing small objects in front of you to see if they disappear.
Now:
Anomalies replaced with icy spots on the ground that make you slide a few inches further than you intended to walk.

Then:
It will take anywhere from 40 to 100 hours to beat the game, depending on whether you rush through as quickly as possible or explore every nook and cranny of the Zone.
Now:
The game still lasts 40 hours, or 2 if you decide to skip the cutscenes for some reason.

Then:
Day and night come in cycles, and as the weather changes you will experience everything from gale force winds to hail.
Now:
Honestly, people only really like cloudless skies and a sun that stays in one happy little spot all the time.

Then:
You can modify every weapon you come across extensively. Scopes and silencers are just the beginning, soon you'll strike fear into the hearts of your enemies with your combination MP5/lawn chair/collectible Elvis plate.
Now:
You can modify your gun to make it much lighter by removing the ammo.
psH
Banned
+217|6376|Sydney

some_random_panda wrote:

Why Chernobyl and not Agent Orange?  Radioactivity usually leads to death or cancers, whereas Agent Orange caused deformity for years after in Vietnam.
Depleted Uranium FTW
Frotz
+15|6522|Sweden
Jestar, that was a nice find!

Jestar12345 wrote:

Something Awful Presents!

Something Awful wrote:

Then:
You can modify every weapon you come across extensively. Scopes and silencers are just the beginning, soon you'll strike fear into the hearts of your enemies with your combination MP5/lawn chair/collectible Elvis plate.
Now:
You can modify your gun to make it much lighter by removing the ammo.
Liked this one especially...

mp5/lawn chair/collectible Elvis plate for the win!
Ty
Mass Media Casualty
+2,398|6767|Noizyland

Jestar12345 wrote:

Something Awful Presents!...
I don't get it.
[Blinking eyes thing]
Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6758|UK
Yeah neither do I. It seems its comparing things that are in this game, the "Then" parts, which are infact all in the game, to other titles HL2, Doom 3 as the "Now" parts.

Also you dont learn how to split a screen after learning hello world, you learn some other random ass stuff that is easy as hell such as using variables and getting some kind of input from the user.

Last edited by Vilham (2007-03-16 08:06:56)

SEREMAKER
BABYMAKIN EXPERT √
+2,187|6560|Mountains of NC

All right March 22nd -------------- The day before my Birthday
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/17445/carhartt.jpg
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6764|PNW

Vilham wrote:

Yeah neither do I. It seems its comparing things that are in this game, the "Then" parts, which are infact all in the game, to other titles HL2, Doom 3 as the "Now" parts.

Also you dont learn how to split a screen after learning hello world, you learn some other random ass stuff that is easy as hell such as using variables and getting some kind of input from the user.
Something Awful is Something Awful. It is not dedicated to making sense, but more to gross exaggeration in the name of sarcasm. I to am somewhat skeptical as to how many promised features were axed in the name of finally releasing the bugger, as similar fates befell many games I've bought recently.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6593|132 and Bush

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Vilham wrote:

Something Awful is Something Awful. It is not dedicated to making sense, but more to gross exaggeration in the name of sarcasm. I to am somewhat skeptical as to how many promised features were axed in the name of finally releasing the bugger, as similar fates befell many games I've bought recently.
You know that "brain freeze" sensation? I got that when I read this.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
ShoopDaWhoop
Banned
+53|6325
I've got it, it doesnt seem that good to be honest.

I'm gonna play it a bit more now and see.
Ty
Mass Media Casualty
+2,398|6767|Noizyland

Bastard. I've got to wait until the 28th or 29th before it come out here in NZ.
[Blinking eyes thing]
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6573|SE London

ShoopDaWhoop wrote:

Seems very, very basic to me. I expected a lot more. It certainly looks VERY dated.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6593|132 and Bush

Bertster7 wrote:

ShoopDaWhoop wrote:

Seems very, very basic to me. I expected a lot more. It certainly looks VERY dated.
Ditto. Granted I didn't play very much.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
ShoopDaWhoop
Banned
+53|6325
I dont think it looks dated, just looks the same as oblivion with different skins and textures.

Im not feeling the way it plays to be honest, it feels like im playing half life 1 with oblivion graphics in all honestly.

The weapons feel weak, like the f2000 does in bf2. I dunno.

I'm glad I didnt pay for it thats for sure.
Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6758|UK
The game has one of the most advance weapon systems in any game... ie calculated trajectors, wind and gravity effecting shots etc.

Tbh its a revelation in gaming just like Deus Ex was, shame no one thought to copy that style of game since system shock.
ShoopDaWhoop
Banned
+53|6325

Vilham wrote:

The game has one of the most advance weapon systems in any game... ie calculated trajectors, wind and gravity effecting shots etc.
thats good and all but it still doesnt make a great game to be honest.

and it certainly doesnt make stalker a great game
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6593|132 and Bush

ShoopDaWhoop wrote:

Vilham wrote:

thats good and all but it still doesnt make a great game to be honest.

and it certainly doesnt make stalker a great game
I'll probably still end up getting it tomorrow.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6758|UK
Well im dling it now, if its any good ill be buying it on friday.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6593|132 and Bush

Vilham wrote:

Well im dling it now, if its any good ill be buying it on friday.
Good idea. I'll have it in 30 mins .

Last edited by Kmarion (2007-03-21 12:06:14)

Xbone Stormsurgezz
Megalomaniac
Formerly known as Missionless
+92|6320|105 RVK
are u saying it has a 5yr old graphic engine? They should have changed since they took so long to make it.

I will lol if this game turns out to suck cause 5 years for one game is allot.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6593|132 and Bush

Missionless wrote:

are u saying it has a 5yr old graphic engine? They should have changed since they took so long to make it.

I will lol if this game turns out to suck cause 5 years for one game is allot.
http://www.stalker-game.com/en/?page=engine
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6758|UK
The bastard i was dling from at my uni bloody disconnected from dc++, guess ill have to wait till friday.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard