Daysniper
+42|6605
So as many of you probably know, Apple has revealed their "iPhone." Some of you probably also know that Cisco has had the "iPhone" name trademarked since '98. And now, of course, Cisco is suing Apple. The story goes that Apple tried to negotiate the "iPhone name from Cisco, but Cisco refused. So Apple created a "another company" Ocean Telecom, to try and acquire illegaly it right under Cisco's nose. They "created" an entire company! I really hope Cisco wins the suit. If they do, Apple will:

1) have to change the name
2) pay damages to Cisco
3) I really love this one: they have to destroy basically everything that says "iPhone" and everything that is used to make that.
4) and more

The full copy of the complaint can be found here (PDF):
http://i.i.com.com/cnwk.1d/i/ne/pdfs/20 … vapple.pdf
and CNET's article:
http://news.com.com/Cisco+sues+Apple+ov … 49285.html

Last edited by Daysniper (2007-01-15 15:19:28)

Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6552|SE London

I love it!
Mason4Assassin444
retired
+552|6632|USA
May be sleazebags but Jobs is paid in full. The man wears flip flops to work everyday. Wish I had it that good.
kilgoretrout
+53|6440|Little Rock, AR
The Cisco iPhone and Apple iPhone are two completely different devices, and it's not like Apple is the only company that has a product called iPhone.  They're just big enough that Cisco cares to go after them.  And I don't give a damn what they call it...  It could be the "douchePhone" and I'd still be buying it the second it comes out...
OmniDeath
~
+726|6614

kilgoretrout wrote:

It could be the "douchePhone" and I'd still be buying it the second it comes out...
lmao

i think apple should have just finished the negotiations...
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6571|132 and Bush

Now That The Novelty's Worn Off...
http://www.betanews.com/article/Now_Tha … 1168630250

Last edited by Kmarion (2007-01-15 15:55:29)

Xbone Stormsurgezz
kilgoretrout
+53|6440|Little Rock, AR

Omnideath wrote:

kilgoretrout wrote:

It could be the "douchePhone" and I'd still be buying it the second it comes out...
lmao

i think apple should have just finished the negotiations...
Yeah, but Cisco was demanding that Apple make their iPhone work with the technologies that Cisco is developing for their iPhone.  Piss on that.  I don't know why they didn't just call it the Apple Phone and avoid any chance for a lawsuit.  I mean, they did just unveil Apple TV, not iTV...
HURLEY
Ima Crunchatize you.
+170|6653|The Lou

kilgoretrout wrote:

The Cisco iPhone and Apple iPhone are two completely different devices, and it's not like Apple is the only company that has a product called iPhone.  They're just big enough that Cisco cares to go after them.  And I don't give a damn what they call it...  It could be the "douchePhone" and I'd still be buying it the second it comes out...
Someones a douche (apple) fan.

I hate apple they over price all there crap and they're overrated.
Stingray24
Proud member of the vast right-wing conspiracy
+1,060|6415|The Land of Scott Walker

HURLEY wrote:

Agree, there's many MP3 players that outclass iPods in features and capacity, but people buy them because their friends have them.  Their PCs aren't compatible with much and they don't bother to create good games for their systems either.
Marlboroman82
Personal philosophy: Clothing optional.
+1,022|6593|Camp XRay

Stingray24 wrote:

HURLEY wrote:

Agree, there's many MP3 players that outclass iPods in features and capacity, but people buy them because their friends have them.  Their PCs aren't compatible with much and they don't bother to create good games for their systems either.
please provide these mp3 players? also prices would be nice. also since your so informed maybe you know about this little thing called bootcamp. it allows all intel macs to run windows. which in turns allows you to run any game you want. christ seems like we have this same stupid arguement every month. look if your going to try to make a valid arguement atleast do some research so you don't sound like a complete idiot.
https://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l250/marlboroman82/Untitled-8.png
Stingray24
Proud member of the vast right-wing conspiracy
+1,060|6415|The Land of Scott Walker
I know Mac had to use Windows to run games, which is really weak.  They couldn't come up with a way to run them on their own OS.  Look into IRiver MP3 players, they beat the pants off iPods.
jonsimon
+224|6465
Ipods only suck insofar as no one needs video and pictures and crap on their mp3 player. Unless you travel tons, you won't end up justifying that money. I hope Apple gets screwed in the butt with the name just because I'm appauled at the gadget industry. Several of my friends were practically drooling ready to pay $500 for something that won't contribute to their lives at all once they're done showing off their new toy.
SnobbyBoss
SAS Medic
+18|6710

Daysniper wrote:

So as many of you probably know, Apple has revealed their "iPhone." Some of you probably also know that Cisco has had the "iPhone" name trademarked since '98. And now, of course, Cisco is suing Apple. The story goes that Apple tried to negotiate the "iPhone name from Cisco, but Cisco refused. So Apple created a "another company" Ocean Telecom, to try and acquire illegaly it right under Cisco's nose. They "created" an entire company! I really hope Cisco wins the suit. If they do, Apple will:

1) have to change the name
2) pay damages to Cisco
3) I really love this one: they have to destroy basically everything that says "iPhone" and everything that is used to make that.
4) and more

The full copy of the complaint can be found here (PDF):
http://i.i.com.com/cnwk.1d/i/ne/pdfs/20 … vapple.pdf
and CNET's article:
http://news.com.com/Cisco+sues+Apple+ov … 49285.html
Amen
jonsimon
+224|6465

Stingray24 wrote:

I know Mac had to use Windows to run games, which is really weak.  They couldn't come up with a way to run them on their own OS.  Look into IRiver MP3 players, they beat the pants off iPods.
It's refreshing not to be at odds with you for once Sting. Ipods are overhyped, they're good solid mp3 players, but they're not alone. And Macs still need windows to be gaming machines.
lavadisk
I am a cat ¦ 3
+369|6800|Denver colorado
agreed, Im also tired of the mac fanboys.
lavadisk
I am a cat ¦ 3

Marlboroman82 wrote:

Stingray24 wrote:

HURLEY wrote:

please provide these mp3 players? also prices would be nice. also since your so informed maybe you know about this little thing called bootcamp. it allows all intel macs to run windows. which in turns allows you to run any game you want. christ seems like we have this same stupid arguement every month. look if your going to try to make a valid arguement atleast do some research so you don't sound like a complete idiot.
Zune, same price as the same capacity video ipod (250$ 30 gigs) Also some people prefer the creative series.
Also, you cant argue that mac is better because it can run the opponents OS. then, once its running windows, ITS JUST A SHITTY DESKTOP. so dont argue that ether.

Last edited by lavadisk (2007-01-15 18:38:49)

Marlboroman82
+1,022|6593|Camp XRay

lavadisk wrote:

Marlboroman82 wrote:

Stingray24 wrote:

Zune, same price as the same capacity video ipod (250$ 30 gigs) Also some people prefer the creative series.
Also, you cant argue that mac is better because it can run the opponents OS. then, once its running windows, ITS JUST A SHITTY DESKTOP. so dont argue that ether.
how is it "shitty." there is huge catolog if games available for the mac also. refer to www.apple.com/games . also the problem you run into with the other mp3 players is the software. i have yet to come across a progrem that is as easy to update and manage your music on your mp3 player as itunes. i am still waiting on some actual proof of the mac being inferior. also the new power mac was actually found to be cheaper than it's dell counter part.

Last edited by Marlboroman82 (2007-01-15 19:44:59)

jsnipy
+3,276|6493|...

Marlboroman82 wrote:

... yet to come across a progrem that is as easy to update and manage your music on your mp3 player as itunes ...
Winamp ... and no "wanna go to the itunes store?" nags.
Other than its ok .. kinda of a fat program.

I don't buy the ipod argument ... that nano is amazing ... lots of though went into it.

Last edited by jsnipy (2007-01-15 19:50:16)

lavadisk
I am a cat ¦ 3
Fine, the ipod is more 'simple' and simplicity is just what people are used to. You prefer the ipod because you are used to it and you are probably a loyal mac fan. No problem, but some people dont have that preference.

and my whole argument against your "Dont say they cant run it because it can run windows too" is flawed because once it has the same operating system then all you can judge it by is the hardware. Dell, Is over priced. I dont know where dell came into the picture.
Marlboroman82
+1,022|6593|Camp XRay

lavadisk wrote:

Fine, the ipod is more 'simple' and simplicity is just what people are used to. You prefer the ipod because you are used to it and you are probably a loyal mac fan. No problem, but some people dont have that preference.

and my whole argument against your "Dont say they cant run it because it can run windows too" is flawed because once it has the same operating system then all you can judge it by is the hardware. Dell, Is over priced. I dont know where dell came into the picture.
dell came into the picture because you called it overpriced. i don't see how you can call dell overpriced. seems to be one of the cheaper mass distributors.

i am a loyal mac user. have you ever used a mac? i use both pcs and macs, and i realize that both are not for everyone, but what upsets me is when people make undounded comments. yes a mac becomes exactly that when you install bootcamp, but for now a mac can run both os x and xp/vista unlike its pc counterpart. hopefully with the change to intel based processors developers will begin to create more games for macs.
lavadisk
I am a cat ¦ 3

Marlboroman82 wrote:

lavadisk wrote:

dell came into the picture because you called it overpriced. i don't see how you can call dell overpriced. seems to be one of the cheaper mass distributors.

i am a loyal mac user. have you ever used a mac? i use both pcs and macs, and i realize that both are not for everyone, but what upsets me is when people make undounded comments. yes a mac becomes exactly that when you install bootcamp, but for now a mac can run both os x and xp/vista unlike its pc counterpart. hopefully with the change to intel based processors developers will begin to create more games for macs.
True. hmm, from what I got out of that you were using dell as a way to dis on pc's I guess. w.e.
And yeah, I use mac's I had to learn them because thats all I used at school everyday in ether web page design or comp apps (both way too easy) and at one time I did think of getting a mac so I could do my internet and stuff while using my pc for everything else but I decided not to because their are a lot of illogical mac fan boys out their that swear against pc and provoke argument. You obviously aren't one of them.
Marlboroman82
+1,022|6593|Camp XRay

lavadisk wrote:

Marlboroman82 wrote:

lavadisk wrote:

True. hmm, from what I got out of that you were using dell as a way to dis on pc's I guess. w.e.
And yeah, I use mac's I had to learn them because thats all I used at school everyday in ether web page design or comp apps (both way too easy) and at one time I did think of getting a mac so I could do my internet and stuff while using my pc for everything else but I decided not to because their are a lot of illogical mac fan boys out their that swear against pc and provoke argument. You obviously aren't one of them.
well there are alot of idiots out there
7eregrine
+1|6404
iPod Nano Vs. Trekstor Vibez

8 G Nano = $249
12 G Vibez = $229
(Vibez 8G = $199)

+$14 add an FM Tuner to the Vibez.

The screen on both is made by the same company. It's probably even the same part #.
Vibez > Nano

The iPod is #1 simply because of marketing. When is the last time you saw a Creative or an iRiver commercial? Apple has $$ to advertise.

I don't have a '5 computer limit' with my Vibez. That's insane. I can connect and do what I want with any PC at any time.
I can download free audio books from my local library since the Vibez supports DRM. I can also switch off DRM if I want to. No joy for iPod and the local library.

To speak nothing of the features and sound quality. The iPod is mediocre at best.

This site should be in everyone's bookmarks shopping for a DAP.
http://www.dapreview.net
Trekstor makes the Vibez. I got it the day it was released ( 11/15 ) and love it. When I bought my 8 G it was $199. They raised the price, I assume, because they sold rather well.
http://www.trekstor.de
Bought the FM tuner. Never use it but cool to have.

/DISCLAIMER/

I actually am an Apple fan. I like the systems and all that. I think they blew it, and continue to blow it, with the DAP.

Last edited by 7eregrine (2007-01-15 20:20:21)

lavadisk
I am a cat ¦ 3

7eregrine wrote:

iPod Nano Vs. Trekstor Vibez

8 G Nano = $249
12 G Vibez = $229
(Vibez 8G = $199)

+$14 add an FM Tuner to the Vibez.

The screen on both is made by the same company. It's probably even the same part #.
Vibez > Nano

The iPod is #1 simply because of marketing. When is the last time you saw a Creative or an iRiver commercial? Apple has $$ to advertise.

I don't have a '5 computer limit' with my Vibez. That's insane. I can connect and do what I want with any PC at any time.
I can download free audio books from my local library since the Vibez supports DRM. I can also switch off DRM if I want to. No joy for iPod and the local library.

To speak nothing of the features and sound quality. The iPod is mediocre at best.

This site should be in everyone's bookmarks shopping for a DAP.
http://www.dapreview.net
Trekstor makes the Vibez. I got it the day it was released ( 11/15 ) and love it. When I bought my 8 G it was $199. They raised the price, I assume, because they sold rather well.
http://www.trekstor.de
Bought the FM tuner. Never use it but cool to have.

/DISCLAIMER/

I actually am an Apple fan. I like the systems and all that. I think they blew it, and continue to blow it, with the DAP.
meaning, their are alternatives.

here you go newcomer, your first karma +1
Hurricane
Banned
+1,153|6600|Washington, DC

Why the fuck does Cisco care? I doubt anyone would buy their product anyways. Seriously, who asides from people who researched the iPhone name knew about the Cisco iPhone? That's right, almost nobody. Fuck cisco they've got plenty of cash from their routers and fancy IP phones...

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard