usmarine2007
Banned
+374|6337|Columbus, Ohio
I still do not get why people from other countries get so angry with the US and its policies to the point where it is pretty much all you talk about.  Tell me how Iraq effects you?  I mean how does it really effects you? 

I am sure most of you(the older ones) are just like me..... wake up, go to work, come home relax, sleep, and repeat cycle.  On weekends you hang out with friends and family, or do stuff that interests you.  Even here in America, that has not changed for me or anyone I know.  I still get promoted and make more money the harder I work.

Now, for Americans, Iraq can make you mad because it is our tax dollars.  Tell me how it truly affects you in Ireland for example. (not aimed at you Cam)  I know the US economy pretty much affects everyone, but are you broke because of it?  Is your daily life and routine all messed up because of the US?  Somehow I highly doubt it.  Why do I doubt it?  Because it has not even caused me any problems, yet I live here and have even been to Iraq and Afghanistan.

I know this is a discussion forum, but some of you get way to angry and pissed off at the US to the point where it seems you are obsessed with the USA.  Maybe you put the same effort into worrying about your own country, but it sure does not show.

ps.  For the use of effect and affect being used incorrectly....I know.  I cannot remember the correct usage for some reason right now.
Elamdri
The New Johnnie Cochran
+134|6616|Peoria
I think for the most part the rest of the world sees the US in a state of role reversal. They see the US, which has a history of revolution and progress, instead taking a role of opression and imperialism, which they see as hypocritical when compared to our history.
sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6727|Argentina
I do all those things you mentioned, except the Afghanistan and Iraq part.  I think a lot of Americans in this forum label as anti-American comments about GWB.  That's not anti-American at all.  Since, this forum is American, America is a major topic of discussion here.  And the actions of GWB affects not only America, but the rest of the World.  You may like it or not, but America is the most powerful nation of the World, and the actions of its president affects more or less the whole world. 
You need to understand one thing, GWB is not America.  Later, we can debate why is Bush a topic.  But, one person from Europe, Australia, or anywhere else talking about GWB, doesn't imply necessarily an anti-American comment.  Some people, the less, make some anti-American statements, but the 99% of the people in this forum don't.
Personally, I'm not affected by GWB's decisions, but I still can debate or discuss the policies I disagree with.  Put Clinton back and I won't criticize any of his decisions.  And he is American too.  But, I don't discuss GWB topics only, I discuss all kind of topics like Religion, Middle East, Global Warming and Ecology, civil rights, etc, and other topics in other sections too.
SysTray
"Generous mods" < Thats right Systray !
+180|6791|Delaware
Some people care about the happenings of the world in general, and the good of all mankind, not just whether they have their 2 waffles and orange juice to look forward to in the morning and their mediocre desk job to work at.

If half the money the US spends on useless shit was put towards technology and furthering the human race as a whole, NASA would be more than a presidential hobby and we would know more about space, more about the oceans, and we might possibly start to make major advances toward replacing coal as a source of energy.

People care about what the US (and G-Dub) does because it does affect life in general and a lot of things would be happening positively if we weren't always wasting our time and money on things.
JahManRed
wank
+646|6598|IRELAND

Personally I didn't care for America anymore than other countries, just another country I wanted to tour a bit, which I did.
I only became interested and started to read up on it all when I became a parent. America's global policies are the biggest threat to world peace in my opinion. Thats my opinion and I am entitled to air it. The shit is going down in the middle east which is also allot closer to me than it is to Americans. You can get in a car and drive there from here.
It may not be apparent in my time, but my children and grandchildren may have to go to war over American/uk policies. Tony Blair prity much confirmed my fears today when he announced that the UK should prepare for a "generation of conflict" thats my sons generation and its is conceivable that he may be drafted to go fight this war on terror at some point in his life. I think if America had closed it borders, looked after herself concentrated on home security and not went off on this Neo Con New World Order dream the world would be a much stabler and safer place. That Neo Con shit is a reality. You can criticize me for being anti American, but I a not, I am anti this New World Order and the various wars that must be fought to make it a reality.
Hopefully Ireland will be united by then and my son will be an Irish man with no need to fight wars.
usmarine2007
Banned
+374|6337|Columbus, Ohio
I see what you guys are saying.  But there is a difference between discussion and obsession.
SysTray
+180|6791|Delaware

usmarine2007 wrote:

I see what you guys are saying.  But there is a difference between discussion and obsession.
Of course there is. Someone who talks about Angelina Jolie is different from someone who stalks her, right? Do people stalk America? Can you stalk America? How can you be obsessed with a country? I don't think you can...
usmarine2007
Banned
+374|6337|Columbus, Ohio

SysTray wrote:

usmarine2007 wrote:

Of course there is. Someone who talks about Angelina Jolie is different from someone who stalks her, right? Do people stalk America? Can you stalk America? How can you be obsessed with a country? I don't think you can...
If I talked about Jenna Jameson all the time, or mentioned her name in a thread not even about her, you would say I was obsessed with her right?
SysTray
+180|6791|Delaware

usmarine2007 wrote:

SysTray wrote:

usmarine2007 wrote:

If I talked about Jenna Jameson all the time, or mentioned her name in a thread not even about her, you would say I was obsessed with her right?
I suppose. But she does not affect the daily happenings of the world, nor does her business wind up on every news channel on every TV globally...which is why I think that to obsess over the US would take more than obsessing over a person. The US is everywhere (unfortunately). If you don't talk/think about it and its happenings, you're not human...
King_County_Downy
shitfaced
+2,791|6567|Seattle

Jenna Jamison affects my everyday life more than the Iraq war does.
Sober enough to know what I'm doing, drunk enough to really enjoy doing it
SysTray
+180|6791|Delaware

King_County_Downy wrote:

Jenna Jamison affects my everyday life more than the Iraq war does.
Then you are obsessed.
JahManRed
wank
+646|6598|IRELAND

usmarine2007 wrote:

SysTray wrote:

usmarine2007 wrote:

Personally I have never made a thread about America that I can remember. I just comment on them, as I do in allot of threads on these forums. I show little interest in, say the threads opened about Argentina, because anything Argentina does is within its own borders and will not effect me or my kids. If say the thread was on Argentina invading the Falklands Islands again then it is conceivable that the UK would send an army down there as they did 15 odd years ago. That may effect me or my kids so I would be 'obsessed' with that.
Its not obsession it is real and genuine concern that drives my interest in America and anything that has the potential to effect my family.
Drakef
Cheeseburger Logicist
+117|6332|Vancouver
Mentioning U.S. politics is not anti-Americanism, true.

However, in Canada I notice a great deal of anti-Americanism. It seems to be a form on nationalism. First, Canadians insist that they are different, perhaps because of world dislike, or simply to distinguish ourselves as more important. Secondly, Canadians attempt to insult Americans, from their politicians to their people. To make Canada seem like a better nation, our citizens will say all sorts of things, but mostly about American intelligence. Canadians love to pose questions to Americans about Canada, and laugh derisively when they do not answer correctly. There is some ignorance of Canada, but that is hardly a judge of American character. Many Canadians will ignore those who are more intelligent, or the fact that some questions are irrelevent to any but Canadians. Our nationalists will forget that other nations too may have citizens that cannot answer those questions, but mostly because they see the U.S. as a rival.

I am no nationalist, so I shake my head at such antics. I see Americans as my friends and brothers. We have the same culture and the same language. We are essentially the same. Yes, there are differences, but hardly anything to insult each other over, especially for nationalistic means. Anti-Americanism has become a game in Canada, and it is quite normal. Few Canadians would admit their own ignorance, though. In any case, an ignorance of one's neighbour is not indicative of every individual of that nation, nor even that individual. That person may very well be a good person, and yet we judge only to attack the other nation to promote our own nationalism, which I find to be the most ignorant expression.
Elamdri
The New Johnnie Cochran
+134|6616|Peoria
I think that American politics for a long time now has fallen from the lofty standards that many Americans still hold it to. I for one don't put it past my government to suggest that it is the cause of much suffering in the world. However, I feel that the rest of the world purports that because our government is corrupt and evil, the American people are corrupt and evil, which is not true.
TeamZephyr
Maintaining My Rage Since 1975
+124|6499|Hillside, Melbourne, Australia
In the main street of Geelong there used to be a fish'n'chip shop and a pie shop.

They've been replaced by a McDonalds and a Starbucks.
usmarine2007
Banned
+374|6337|Columbus, Ohio

TeamZephyr wrote:

In the main street of Geelong there used to be a fish'n'chip shop and a pie shop.

They've been replaced by a McDonalds and a Starbucks.
Is that a problem?
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6571|132 and Bush

usmarine2007 wrote:

From a post I made earlier..

Kmarion wrote:

"Europe is in the midst of an identity crisis. They have to deal with their brutal past while being insulted by Americas upstart success. The old continental powers are still far from forgiving us for supplanting them in the strategic arena. If we were as cruel as Europe was in the wake of the twentieth century wars we would be much better liked. The primary goal of Western European societies for the past half century has been to prove the US is as cruel and corrupt as they themselves have been. When your heritage is genocide, wars of aggression, or cowardly surrender the record of the United States can be hard to bear. They cannot avoid measuring themselves against us, but the disparities they discover are so great that Europe's moral delinquents cannot resist comforting themselves with the lies about our purported clumsiness, violence, and crudity without pausing to ask themselves how such a pathetic mediocrities could have built the richest, most powerful, and desirable society in history. When it comes to self examination the heartlands of Europe are simply the Mid-east lite."
Xbone Stormsurgezz
usmarine2007
Banned
+374|6337|Columbus, Ohio
win^^
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6375|North Carolina

usmarine2007 wrote:

I still do not get why people from other countries get so angry with the US and its policies to the point where it is pretty much all you talk about.  Tell me how Iraq effects you?  I mean how does it really effects you? 

I am sure most of you(the older ones) are just like me..... wake up, go to work, come home relax, sleep, and repeat cycle.  On weekends you hang out with friends and family, or do stuff that interests you.  Even here in America, that has not changed for me or anyone I know.  I still get promoted and make more money the harder I work.

Now, for Americans, Iraq can make you mad because it is our tax dollars.  Tell me how it truly affects you in Ireland for example. (not aimed at you Cam)  I know the US economy pretty much affects everyone, but are you broke because of it?  Is your daily life and routine all messed up because of the US?  Somehow I highly doubt it.  Why do I doubt it?  Because it has not even caused me any problems, yet I live here and have even been to Iraq and Afghanistan.

I know this is a discussion forum, but some of you get way to angry and pissed off at the US to the point where it seems you are obsessed with the USA.  Maybe you put the same effort into worrying about your own country, but it sure does not show.

ps.  For the use of effect and affect being used incorrectly....I know.  I cannot remember the correct usage for some reason right now.
In an ironic sort of way, this kind of brought something interesting to my attention...  The more we mess with the Middle East, the more it encourages OPEC nations to consider switching to the Euro for oil trade.

The costs of Iraq have brought us to record deficit levels in federal spending, which helps devalue our currency.  Therefore, there is a financial reason to switch to the rising Euro, even besides the animosity we're building in this region.

So....  if you think about it, some Europeans should be happy we're making fools of ourselves with Iraq.  It's only helping their currency.
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6499|Global Command

sergeriver wrote:

Personally, I'm not affected by GWB's decisions, but I still can debate or discuss the policies I disagree with.  Put Clinton back and I won't criticize any of his decisions.
Serge, that is the silliest thing you've ever stated.
"Any of his decisions"? absurd statement.
usmarine2007
Banned
+374|6337|Columbus, Ohio
Fools of ourselves?  Sorry, but in my opinion, the Iraqi people are making fools of themselves.  Apparently without rape rooms and executions, they cannot be a stable country.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6571|132 and Bush

ATG wrote:

sergeriver wrote:

Personally, I'm not affected by GWB's decisions, but I still can debate or discuss the policies I disagree with.  Put Clinton back and I won't criticize any of his decisions.
Serge, that is the silliest thing you've ever stated.
"Any of his decisions"? absurd statement.
Anyone with a decent memory can also remember the resentment towards The United States in the 90's as well. While there is no doubt there has been an increase with the "obsession" in the last few years do not fall into the belief that this all started with one administration.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6375|North Carolina

usmarine2007 wrote:

Fools of ourselves?  Sorry, but in my opinion, the Iraqi people are making fools of themselves.  Apparently without rape rooms and executions, they cannot be a stable country.
Well, I agree with that too.  The part where we are fools is assuming that we can transform them into a functioning democracy.
usmarine2007
Banned
+374|6337|Columbus, Ohio

sergeriver wrote:

I  Put Clinton back and I won't criticize any of his decisions.
So you liked the way he handled Somalia?
Deadmonkiefart
Floccinaucinihilipilificator
+177|6676

Elamdri wrote:

I think for the most part the rest of the world sees the US in a state of role reversal. They see the US, which has a history of revolution and progress, instead taking a role of opression and imperialism, which they see as hypocritical when compared to our history.
Oppression and Imperialism?

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard