ghettoperson
+1,943|6656

It would certainly hit the bottom once it got up some speed. That's just what boats do, they sit in the water much lower when they are moving. The Queen Mary, IIRC, hit some reefs that way, despite appearing to have ample clearance over them.
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6536|Global Command

aardfrith wrote:

ATG wrote:

http://i11.tinypic.com/33duwee.jpg
The Bathtub is as big as a small lake, but only one foot deeper than the liner. The ship weighs 50 tons and as a top speed of 50 knots.

Will the thrust of the engines create a whirlpool where the ship spins and bobs haplessly or would the spin of the waters current create a vortex eventually devouring the Earth, giving the thrust of the propellers?
Why would it create a whirlpool or a vortex?  The propellors (assuming this is not a jet-boat) push the water backwards, not down and round.  So the ship would move forwards.

The weight of the ship and its top speed are meaningless, as is the amount of water, just so long as the keel doesn't scrape along the bottom.
Would it move, it would be like pushing against the current.
The less water there is the more likely it is to gain speed and not have seperate areas of velocity.
Thereby creating the vortex.

And ffs, the vortex is the humor.
jamie_v1.1
+35|6510|Leeds, UK
I want some of whatever ATG is smoking!!
4_Phucsache
Property of BF2s©
+112|6590|Brisbane Australia

ghettoperson wrote:

It would certainly hit the bottom once it got up some speed. That's just what boats do, they sit in the water much lower when they are moving. The Queen Mary, IIRC, hit some reefs that way, despite appearing to have ample clearance over them.
How bizarre every boat (most boats have a planing hull) I have ever been on (including our own) raises up in the water the faster it moves not settles down.

Then again most "ships" have a displacement hull which ...you guessed it...displaces the water. These types of hulls sit flat in the water niether lifting nor dropping.

I have never however seen a hull that causes any boat or ship to settle deeper into the water.
Paco_the_Insane
Phorum Phantom
+244|6652|Ohio
Yes, it does!
sfarrar33
Halogenoalkane
+57|6626|InGerLand
or will the driver of the ship hit the controls slightly so it runs the woman in front of the boat over as he doesn't like her for cheating on him...again...
ATG
Banned
Negative. A woman in the pool is not part of the scenario.
Skorpy-chan
+127|6352|Twyford, UK
Neither. The ship would whack into the side of the lake, ride up onto the shore, and suffer tremendous keel damage. It will never float again.
sfarrar33
Halogenoalkane
+57|6626|InGerLand
does the boat have little working planes on it?
ATG
Banned
Yes, but they are on treadmills.
Prodie
Moderator Emeritus
+270|6781|Nova Scotia, Canada

Ummmm.....let's not go through this, again

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard