Poll

Will Restricting APM/Nades/SentryG's Use In the Titan Improve Mode?

Yes43%43% - 57
No52%52% - 69
Don't Know4%4% - 6
Total: 132
superfly_cox
soup fly mod
+717|6790

Do you think that removing the ability to use APM/Nades/Sentry Guns inside the Titan would improve the game play of Titan Mode?  The reason I ask because its ridiculously difficult to get yourself into a position to blow up a console/core.  For this to you would need to:

1) Survive once you've made it on top of the titan.  Whether you pod onto it or use transport or spawn on beacon/transport there are always guys outside camping you with shotgun or lmg.

2) Survive the first corridor or vent.  Usually this involves praying the there's no APM or RDX waiting for you and even if this is the case, you might run into a LMG hidden behind a red shield...which is ridiculously cumbersome to jump over in the small corridor!

3) Survive the main section that connects all the corridors and core room.  Here it is full of sentry guns, nades, apms and not to mention plenty of glitches where the enemy can hide without you seeing them.

4) Survive corridor leading to consoles which are very narrow and long where you will meet nade spammers, sentry guns and LMG's.

Even with a great squad/leader, you're going to have difficulty against even a poor and disorganized defense cause it don't take lots of skills to figure out how to drop sentry guns, spam grenades, drop apm's or hide with a ganz behind a red shield.  More and more people are becoming reluctant to attack the Titan because they just don't feel like setting a new record death streak or padding someone else's stats.  Besides, most games aren't ending with somebody destroy the enemy core, but rather with the titan being bled out over the course of 45 minutes.

Anyways, do you think that restricting use of certain items inside the Titan would make the game more fun?  And that's not even mentioning that it would reduce the dreaded titan lag
joker3327
=IBF2=
+305|6607|Cheshire. UK
I have only been playing BF2142 since christmas.......but I have already started not attacking the Titan due to the fact its just a way of extending your death streak...until you get a decent set of unlocks that is...

So yeah restricting the use of sentry guns ap mines and sheilds would make it more inviting to attack ...at least you have a chance of getting to the consoles then!
Zukabazuka
+23|6694
What you need is few engineers to defuse those APM mines, the tool can defuse them 10m away. You can also go prone to and they wont go off but anyone else come running and you are screwed.

Medics rocket and thier smoke could be a great help, just keep throwing them in there and even EMP from support is really good because it fuck them up bad. Support has a tool to see through wall and it only tell where they where at that time. It wont keep track on them. they are throwing nades so Rushing is the best way to get past because then they need to switch to the gun if both do it they are really in a bad defence.

You need more than 1 squad to attack if their titan is heavy defenced or just take silos and they will be the suckers. If they go back and taking silos to then tell your squad to move in and you have a chance if its the same don't bother about it.

But if they are throwing nades just try to rush them if there hasn't been a recon there with RDX
heggs
Spamalamadingdong
+581|6397|New York
good thoughts. i've been defending the titan heavily lately (to get my gold titan defense) and i typically don't use those tactics, only because you have to wait for people. i prefer to be active and try to get as many kills as possible. back on topic. i think a good squad can do anything in the titan. my guys were heavily defending, much of the same way you described above, but the attackers were unfazed. they definetly got through all that and made it to the core, with me constantly coming up behind.

if you have a well coordinated squad, you can't be held back for very long.
Remember Me As A Time Of Day
Magius5.0
+106|6390|UMass Amherst
The key to victory, and I can't stress this enough, is a Decisive First Strike.  If your squad has two to three Recon, one or two support, and a couple of medics thrown in, there is nothing stopping you once the titan shield goes down.  The majority of players will not defend the titan till they hear 'warning, reactor console failure in sector 1' or something like that.  If you are hovering around the titan, and you visually watch the shield go down, you can kill the titan with one squad--maybe two, if your team is well-organized.  I've timed it: with a well-organized squad, and nothing to impede your progress, you can blow all four consoles in under a two minutes (including infiltration to get aboard), and if there are a couple of strays, they won't be able to stop you (unlike later, where EVERYONE is on the titan at once).  The core is fair game after that, and if they do finally start camping it, grenade spam the shit out of them with your support guys tossing ammo boxes down.  After that, Recon guys rush in, plant RDX, run, then blow the core.  Easy as that.  Total time elapsed from original infiltration: three or four minutes.

This is how titan gameplay can be improved: Decisive action and a determined squad ending the game rapidly.  No one (save for clans and really experienced players) is ever smart enough to stop a fast squad that rushes in and blows the consoles in the seconds after the shield goes down.
loonitic
...is a potty mouth
+286|6544|Valhalla
I think it should be restricted. Nothing pissed me off more when all I can hear is "frag out" or "throwing frag" over and over again. I'm not too bothered about Sentry guns they are easy to take out. APM mines get on my nerves (even though I used to do the same thing myself). But what I have done is moved on to just using a Voss LAR and RPK rockets to defend the titan and I usually end up with a high score at the end of the round
[RU]Grmbl
+9|6503|Russia
People like you FUBAR'ed BF2.

NO, IT SHOULD NOT BE REMOVED.

Good squad with VoIP and idea of how teamwork works (no pun intended) will break through ANY DEFENCE, especially if defence is just random newbs spamming nades. Unless there is a proper defending squad with VoIP and teamwork, but this is a different story. :-)

If you "extend your death spree" by assaulting Titan - maybe it is problem at your side, is it? Stop whining, please.
Elamdri
The New Johnnie Cochran
+134|6656|Peoria
A great thing to know is that you should never attack console 3 and console 4 until you blow BOTH console 1 and console 2.  3 & 4 have MUCH shorter hallways so they are a lot harder to defend. However, if you kill console 1 and then 3, their whole team can defend from hallway 2 since there's no other direction they can come from. However if you blow console 1, and attack console 2, they have to allocate some people to console three, leaving console 2 slightly less defended.
kylef
Gone
+1,352|6502|N. Ireland
no, then the enemy would win.
Chappy556
+14|6709
destroying the titan consoles/core are plenty easy.  if you get stuck, go get silos, the defenders will get bored without killing you and they will meet you on the ground and then you go back up

changing the game in anyway is silly...it is what it is, either you find it fun or you don't.  if attacking the titan consoles is screwing up your kdr, there are plenty of other things you can be doing to help your team and your ratio

every time i see the "does the xxx need to be changed..." threads, i roll my eyes, the game isn't that tough to get the hang of
JdeFalconr
Lex Luthor, King of Australia
+72|6551|Sammamish, WA
I have to agree with Grmbl, teamwork and good squad composition is what's needed. Of course the titan is supposed to be a tough nut to crack. But for every well-defended titan I've seen I've also witnessed another team blow right through the defenses. The only thing I'd change is making sure EMP 'nades temporarily stop sentry guns. Yes, engineers and their defusing item are underused. As is teamwork and  a bit of good ol' ingenuity.

How often do folks use smoke grenades (multiple ones if necessary) to cover an advance towards console 1 or 2? What about using EMP 'nades to make life tough on defenders? How often do they use traditional cover-advance-cover-advance leapfrog tactics with a support shield? Do you ever see a sentry gun placed to cover an advance? How often do you see assaults use their rockets to clear out defenders before a quick advance by teammates? I think there's alot more that can be done by attackers to intelligently hit a titan and no nerfing is necessary.

Last edited by JdeFalconr (2007-01-11 11:31:10)

zeidmaan
+234|6424|Vienna

Titan combat is just silly. Its a point farm and nothing else.
I had more fun playing Demo without unlocks.
Barney_T_Dinosaur
Time to Die Kids!
+41|6669
I think that the best way of improving the mode is simply to look into reducing some of the lag onboard the titans, without changing any of the weapon balances/power/removing things/ like the fix to stop titans moving after shields are down if there is any way to reduce it more so then thats great (anyone running an uber machine need not say "its fine, i never lag blah blah")
[RU]Grmbl
+9|6503|Russia

Barney_T_Dinosaur wrote:

I think that the best way of improving the mode is simply to look into reducing some of the lag onboard the titans, without changing any of the weapon balances/power/removing things/ like the fix to stop titans moving after shields are down if there is any way to reduce it more so then thats great (anyone running an uber machine need not say "its fine, i never lag blah blah")
Totally agreed.

I have a decent machine and do not encounter lags while on ground - but in Titan it becomes bloody slide-show sometimes.
samfink
+31|6564
maybe make it so that once the titan shields are down, that ttian cannot move 9 sue the excuse that the titan's forward thrusters were destroyed by the missiles, while the downward thrusters are intact.

edit- and by the way, i mean the other team canstill move their ttian, juts not the team wiht the titan wiht no shields. that'd reduce a lot of the lag due to ttian movement, and you could alos make it that the titians can't come any closer thqan pod range.

Last edited by samfink (2007-01-11 13:46:09)

Zukabazuka
+23|6694
No the fact about the lag in Titan is because

1. If your team has problem taking it out you will later have over 20people from your team running in that titan, and the rest is either defending or taking silos. Some might sit in Titan guns.

2 Now you have the enemy team wich also wanna get those points inside Titan so they either camp the vent or camp the consoles and spamming nades, note this is about 3-4 guys even more. Then you have the same amount on the other console. Not only that the other take the pod to land on the top of the titan and 5 more people sitting in those titans guns.

So making a game where about 30-40 people are within range from you with different skins and weapons plus leave behind a kit after died. Then all those bullets and grenades flying by no wonder titan mode can get a heavy lag. So if you are getting lag in the titan check the UAV and count how many is in there.
This is a huge pressure on the server so its not THAT EASY to fix the fucking lag.

They allready made so Titan can't move after shield is down.
Barney_T_Dinosaur
Time to Die Kids!
+41|6669

Zukabazuka wrote:

1. If your team has problem taking it out you will later have over 20people from your team running in that titan, and the rest is either defending or taking silos. Some might sit in Titan guns.

2 Now you have the enemy team wich also wanna get those points inside Titan so they either camp the vent or camp the consoles and spamming nades, note this is about 3-4 guys even more. Then you have the same amount on the other console. Not only that the other take the pod to land on the top of the titan and 5 more people sitting in those titans guns.

So making a game where about 30-40 people are within range from you with different skins and weapons plus leave behind a kit after died. Then all those bullets and grenades flying by no wonder titan mode can get a heavy lag. So if you are getting lag in the titan check the UAV and count how many is in there.
This is a huge pressure on the server so its not THAT EASY to fix the fucking lag.

I said look into it, not work miracles, and please dont tell me what goes on in Titan mode, I know, the fluffy bunnies are trying to steal the carrot that resides inside that flying cows belly right?

besides if you can have 40 people on Gribralter all within a titan size area nade spamming, using sentries and happily blowing the crap out of each other lag free, that seems to suggest its the Titan itself which generates the lag, hell id be happy if they reduced lag by simply reducing some of the textures on the titan if it meant it ran better.  And yes I know that the mode puts stress on a server, we can partly thank the resource hungry engine for that too.
Mafia47
+27|6750|Chicago
no because playing on FF on servers fixes all that abuse AND if they fix lag when titans get to close and you have 20+ on the titans so its actually playable THEN it'll rock
[RU]Grmbl
+9|6503|Russia

Zukabazuka wrote:

Have you ever played BF2:SF on Warlord? I don't have lags there.
I believe that Titan mode is just fucked up by DICE.
Zukabazuka
+23|6694

[RU]Grmbl wrote:

Zukabazuka wrote:

Have you ever played BF2:SF on Warlord? I don't have lags there.
I believe that Titan mode is just fucked up by DICE.
First Those titans are not HUGE as that Hangarship, The titan is about 2-3cm on the map. While the Hangarship is half the map so yeah ofcourse it doesn't lag.
Zefar
+116|6658|Sweden
On Warlod the hangar IS map and not a object that flies around. One reason why it doesn't lag.
Titan actually have a skin to render to.

Last edited by Zefar (2007-01-12 02:54:37)

daffytag
cheese-it!
+104|6584
It should be guns only in titans except. AT + C7.
Godhatch
+5|6618
the titan should just not move at all, why does it move anyway? the commander moves it over a silo then everyone on the opposite team complains that they are getting killed by the titan gun whores who can't be killed back. the titan has guns on its underside to defend against ground attacks, guns on the roof to defend against air attacks and once the round has begun it hovers over a good strategically placed base with plenty of ways to defend from, which once the titan has moved never ever gets used as there is no reason to spawn there anymore.

Edit: Spelling errors

Last edited by Godhatch (2007-01-12 03:31:25)

ozzie_johnson
+98|6667|Penrith, N.S.W, Australia
getin rid of the lag is first on my list.
Godhatch
+5|6618
making the titan not move in the first place would probably get rid of the lag as the server wouldn't have to reposition such a large object, making it not move after the shields are gone is just a bit stupid as it still strains the server

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard