Poll

Troop increase, Good or bad idea?

Good41%41% - 54
Bad58%58% - 77
Total: 131
CameronPoe
+2,925|6557

UGADawgs wrote:

If the war were really about oil, we'd have kicked the crap out of the insurgency from the start and easily kept control of the country. Do you think that the war would be conducted this way if massive oil revenues were the only goal?

And I don't see how the idea that (gasp!) the war might have two or more purposes doesn't connect with you. Obviously we want to both create a stable democracy and prevent terrorists from using an unstable Iraq as a safe haven.

Now as for why we don't just go tramping all over the world, we obviously don't have enough troops to do it (even if we didn't go into Iraq), and honestly we only care about Islamists. If we cared about all terrorism, we could have invaded Ireland and helped the British secure Ulster. As for Sudan, if Europe wants something to be done about it, why can't they do it themselves? It's not like the EU has no offensive military power.
You're right that it isn't all about oil - there is the terror issue, strategic positioning in the middle east, becoming top dog as regards business interests in the country (replacing France and Russia) and also the more subtle issue of the security of state terrorists Israel. But you're wrong that they seek a democratic Iraq. Because I am willing to wager that a truly democratic Iraq would now display an open animosity towards occupation forces. History has time and again proven that all the US wants is a pro-US government in countries they occupy or 'liberate'. Their announcement of doubt in the 'democratically' elected leader of Iraq is the first sign of this recurring theme in the Iraq conflict.

The EU doesn't do anything because they are extremely isolationist. The only reason they went to Afghanistan was as a sympathy gesture to America post-9/11. Most of Europe didn't touch Iraq with a barge poll, of those that did many have since withdrawn.

And your Ulster example shows exactly the problem with the US position. To me the British civil and military structure on the island on which I live was a legitimate target, as they occupy a portion of my country. That's a patriotic belief. To side with the Brits on the issue would alienate 45% of the population of Northern Ireland and 100% of the population of the Republic. Playing the big bad boss man in Iraq will NEVER go down well with the locals.

The US CANNOT achieve a stable democracy in Iraq. The nation of Iraq itself is an illusion. It might as well be Kurdistan, Shiastan and Sunnistan. Democracies don't work when people who are diametrically opposed to each other occupy the same patch of land. Can't anyone understand that?

What the US needs to achieve their 'goals' is a ruthless police state.

PS 'If the war were really about oil, we'd have kicked the crap out of the insurgency from the start and easily kept control of the country' --> That is not possible. You live on a globe with other countries. All countries mutually rely on each other. Being so brazen would alienate your allies in the extreme. Don't kid yourself now - the USA is not an island: your trade deficit is evidence enough of that.

Last edited by CameronPoe (2007-01-11 15:38:26)

Fen321
+54|6499|Singularity
Obviously we want to both create a stable democracy and prevent terrorists from using an unstable Iraq as a safe haven.  -UGADawgs

Why is that America can use the guise of creating "stable democracy" in order to justify and invading other countries?

Could other governments now argue that they want to create a stable <Insert style of government> and use this as a means to invading any country?

DEMOCRACY IS NOT EXPORTABLE, IT ARISES THROUGH THE WILL OF THE PEOPLE....hell you don't even live in a Democracy!!!

The country was not unstable till we started tearing it to shreds, this was the sole deciding reasons any terrorist organization could find a "safe heaven" in Iraq prior to the invasion it was non existent and it would have posed a threat to Saddam's power, something that even you can be aware of being not favorable to him.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6603|132 and Bush

Bertster7 wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

Good analogy.
But not with a very good hand unfortunately.
Insurgents cheat, We are letting Iran is slip them cards under the table.
If people are cheating it's a better idea to leave the table than to up the stakes.
We have too much in the pot.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6583|SE London

Kmarion wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

Insurgents cheat, We are letting Iran is slip them cards under the table.
If people are cheating it's a better idea to leave the table than to up the stakes.
Not as much as you stand to lose.

I'm not too bothered though. Britain have already clearly stated that we're getting out of there, gradually. I'm glad we are.
UGADawgs
+13|6323|South Carolina, US

CameronPoe wrote:

UGADawgs wrote:

If the war were really about oil, we'd have kicked the crap out of the insurgency from the start and easily kept control of the country. Do you think that the war would be conducted this way if massive oil revenues were the only goal?

And I don't see how the idea that (gasp!) the war might have two or more purposes doesn't connect with you. Obviously we want to both create a stable democracy and prevent terrorists from using an unstable Iraq as a safe haven.

Now as for why we don't just go tramping all over the world, we obviously don't have enough troops to do it (even if we didn't go into Iraq), and honestly we only care about Islamists. If we cared about all terrorism, we could have invaded Ireland and helped the British secure Ulster. As for Sudan, if Europe wants something to be done about it, why can't they do it themselves? It's not like the EU has no offensive military power.
You're right that it isn't all about oil - there is the terror issue, strategic positioning in the middle east, becoming top dog as regards business interests in the country (replacing France and Russia) and also the more subtle issue of the security of state terrorists Israel. But you're wrong that they seek a democratic Iraq. Because I am willing to wager that a truly democratic Iraq would now display an open animosity towards occupation forces. History has time and again proven that all the US wants is a pro-US government in countries they occupy or 'liberate'. Their announcement of doubt in the 'democratically' elected leader of Iraq is the first sign of this recurring theme in the Iraq conflict.

The EU doesn't do anything because they are extremely isolationist. The only reason they went to Afghanistan was as a sympathy gesture to America post-9/11. Most of Europe didn't touch Iraq with a barge poll, of those that did many have since withdrawn.

And your Ulster example shows exactly the problem with the US position. To me the British civil and military structure on the island on which I live was a legitimate target, as they occupy a portion of my country. That's a patriotic belief. To side with the Brits on the issue would alienate 45% of the population of Northern Ireland and 100% of the population of the Republic. Playing the big bad boss man in Iraq will NEVER go down well with the locals.

The US CANNOT achieve a stable democracy in Iraq. The nation of Iraq itself is an illusion. It might as well be Kurdistan, Shiastan and Sunnistan. Democracies don't work when people who are diametrically opposed to each other occupy the same patch of land. Can't anyone understand that?

What the US needs to achieve their 'goals' is a ruthless police state.

PS 'If the war were really about oil, we'd have kicked the crap out of the insurgency from the start and easily kept control of the country' --> That is not possible. You live on a globe with other countries. All countries mutually rely on each other. Being so brazen would alienate your allies in the extreme. Don't kid yourself now - the USA is not an island: your trade deficit is evidence enough of that.
I mentioned somewhere before that plain democracy really isn't what we want. It'd be no good if we promoted a democracy that elected terrorists. Of course we're going to play a heavy hand in the Iraq government, especially since it'd probably collapse without some kind of guide.

If the EU won't do anything on their own, then they need to either get proxies in Africa to destroy the janjaweed or just drop the issue altogether. Everyone knows the US doesn't have the military capability to fully help the Darfur region at this moment, so the EU needs to put up or shut up if they are so ardent about Darfur.

Unfortunately, dictatorships have become most prevalent in the Middle East simply because the whole idea of separate Arab nations is an illusion. Really, the whole idea of being able to fix Iraq in a few years and leave is just idiotic, to me. To be fair, I blame the administration as much as the opposition for this view. However, I recognize that any viability in Iraq will require not only a major troop presence in Iraq for many years, but a major reform of Iraq society on all levels. I still think it's possible that a major reformation of education and societal views can help lessen the sectarian violence in Iraq, but I'm not foolish enough to think it'll just happen in a few years.

And if Iraq really would be the magical font of oil that people like you say it would be under US occupation, we definitly wouldn't allow any of this crap in Iraq. You know that if oil were the major reason for invasion, we'd be replacing governments left and right until we got one that was subservient enough to give us the right to take the oil fields and hold them come hell or high water.
CameronPoe
+2,925|6557

UGADawgs wrote:

If the EU won't do anything on their own, then they need to either get proxies in Africa to destroy the janjaweed or just drop the issue altogether. Everyone knows the US doesn't have the military capability to fully help the Darfur region at this moment, so the EU needs to put up or shut up if they are so ardent about Darfur.
Well personally I'm fairly extreme in my isolationism (with respect to 'the west') so I don't advocate intervention in Darfur - that's an external issue to be resolved by the local players in that region. We have no right to intervene, in my mind. We aren't responsible for it, we have not duty to fix it. I raised the issue because it demonstrated not hypocrisy but the way in which the US prioritises issues. For instance, USA only has 20,000 troops in Afghanistan, the home of Bin Laden, and 150,000 in Iraq, a nation that had nothing to do with 9/11 and transpired not to have any WMD. That is distinctly odd.

UGADawgs wrote:

Unfortunately, dictatorships have become most prevalent in the Middle East simply because the whole idea of separate Arab nations is an illusion. Really, the whole idea of being able to fix Iraq in a few years and leave is just idiotic, to me. To be fair, I blame the administration as much as the opposition for this view. However, I recognize that any viability in Iraq will require not only a major troop presence in Iraq for many years, but a major reform of Iraq society on all levels. I still think it's possible that a major reformation of education and societal views can help lessen the sectarian violence in Iraq, but I'm not foolish enough to think it'll just happen in a few years.
I would just remind you that 800 years of British occupation in Ireland couldn't quell the resistance here and we fought for and won our freedom again - a 26 county sovereign completely independent republic. The violence has continued in the remaining 6 counties until very recently. Proud people will not co-operate, no matter how long you stay.

UGADawgs wrote:

And if Iraq really would be the magical font of oil that people like you say it would be under US occupation, we definitly wouldn't allow any of this crap in Iraq. You know that if oil were the major reason for invasion, we'd be replacing governments left and right until we got one that was subservient enough to give us the right to take the oil fields and hold them come hell or high water.
Well, that's what the US and other major world powers have always done. Read a history of Iran from 1900 to the present day for just one example.

Last edited by CameronPoe (2007-01-11 16:22:23)

Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6603|132 and Bush

Bertster7 wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

Not as much as you stand to lose.

I'm not too bothered though. Britain have already clearly stated that we're getting out of there, gradually. I'm glad we are.
I give the US till the summer. If we have no results with the new plan I see them bailing by then. Most Americans want what most of the world does, less involvement. The problem is when you become the biggest you have national interest everywhere. I would love to have the luxury of doing minimum and worrying about other important stuff, like the borders . What we need now is a diplomatic revolution. Then we need to lead ourselves away from the failed European model of statecraft (including Israel).
Xbone Stormsurgezz
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6773|PNW

OK...raise you're hand if you parrot everything the press has to say about anything...
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6531|Global Command
Tough month
    On Dec. 5, Newsweek magazine touted an interview with then-incoming House Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence Chairman Rep. Silvestre Reyes as an "exclusive." And for good reason.
    "In a surprise twist in the debate over Iraq," the story began, Mr. Reyes "said he wants to see an increase of 20,000 to 30,000 U.S. troops as part of a 'stepped up effort to dismantle the militias.' "
    "We have to consider the need for additional troops to be in Iraq, to take out the militias and stabilize Iraq," the Texas Democrat said to the surprise of many, "I would say 20,000 to 30,000."
    Then came President Bush's expected announcement last week, virtually matching Mr. Reyes' recommendation and argument word-for-word -- albeit the president proposed only 21,500 troops.
    Wouldn't you know, hours after Mr. Bush announced his proposal, Mr. Reyes told the El Paso Times that such a troop buildup was unthinkable.
    "We don't have the capability to escalate even to this minimum level," he said.
    The chairman's "double-talk" did not go unnoticed. Among others, Rep. Joe Wilson, South Carolina Republican and a member of the House Armed Services Committee, says such blatant "hypocrisy" undermines both national security and the war on terrorism.

From AP news.

Fucking dummies
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6603|132 and Bush

ATG wrote:

Tough month
    On Dec. 5, Newsweek magazine touted an interview with then-incoming House Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence Chairman Rep. Silvestre Reyes as an "exclusive." And for good reason.
    "In a surprise twist in the debate over Iraq," the story began, Mr. Reyes "said he wants to see an increase of 20,000 to 30,000 U.S. troops as part of a 'stepped up effort to dismantle the militias.' "
    "We have to consider the need for additional troops to be in Iraq, to take out the militias and stabilize Iraq," the Texas Democrat said to the surprise of many, "I would say 20,000 to 30,000."
    Then came President Bush's expected announcement last week, virtually matching Mr. Reyes' recommendation and argument word-for-word -- albeit the president proposed only 21,500 troops.
    Wouldn't you know, hours after Mr. Bush announced his proposal, Mr. Reyes told the El Paso Times that such a troop buildup was unthinkable.
    "We don't have the capability to escalate even to this minimum level," he said.
    The chairman's "double-talk" did not go unnoticed. Among others, Rep. Joe Wilson, South Carolina Republican and a member of the House Armed Services Committee, says such blatant "hypocrisy" undermines both national security and the war on terrorism.

From AP news.

Fucking dummies
Hypocrisy at it's finest worst.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
spray_and_pray
+52|6493|Perth. Western Australia
Arent the polls showing 21% of the population against the Iraq war? The US is supposed to be a democracy no?

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard