Alone+EasyTarget
+38|6358|From: From: From:
I need to buy myself a bass amp as i used to use my mates, but he needs to sell his to buy some cymbals etc...

Does anyone have any suggestions?

£100 - £200 GBP

$193 - $386 U.S.

Help would be appreciated

I would give karma, but apparently ive not done enough posts yet :S

Last edited by Alone+EasyTarget (2007-01-08 02:10:07)

The Stillhouse Kid
Licensed Televulcanologist
+126|6643|Deep In The South Of Texas
Um, how much does he want for his?
InfectiousShadow
BF2S Resident Bass Player
+45|6433|Washington State, USA
well get something like a Ashdown or a little Marshall bass amplifier like a 15 inch speaker combo
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6530|Global Command
I've been playing a Ampeg SVT 400 trough a 4X10 SWR goliath cabnit for about 15 years and people tell me my tone is awesome.

I don't know what those sqiggles meant, but my rig set me back around $1700.00 U.S.
J=MAN
+25|6659|OZ
Hmm well I've played bass for about 15 years, and I'm an incurable gear-head.

If you buy a new amp, you will only get A TOY for 200 quid (I estimate that to be around 5-600 Aussie smackers). If you buy second-hand, however, you need to know what to look for.

* With bass amplification, power is EVERYTHING (well, almost). 50 Watts RMS is nothing. So is 100. It really doesn't start getting good until around 400. For 200 quid, a 75-80 Watt combo is about the best you will get. Pick something with more power and less frills (graphic equalisers, effects loops etc.); you don't need them.

* A well-respected brand name will have better resale value, and get you more chicks (maybe). You won't get a boutique brand like Ampeg, GK or SWR. Brands that I reckon make decent little budget combos are: Hartke, Peavey, Yorkville, Crate and perhaps Laney. 200 quid will only get you a VERY small amp from a company like SWR, Ashdown or Trace-Elliot. It will sound great up close but shite further back.

* I don't like Behringer. Maybe their stuff is good for the money, but they're just budget.

* Marshall makes wicked guitar amps, but no bass amps worth spitting on.

* In my (heavily biased) opinion, the best entry-level combos are made by Nemesis.

So let's have a look on eBay in Pommy Land:

Hartke - nice but TOO SMALL

Wow - 180 Watts! But it's Behringer... hmm, might be okay

Peavey TNT - a great first amp!

Peavey TKO - another decent first amp

Hope that gets you started. PM me if you need more advice!

So anyway, what do I play through? Okay, I'll flop it out:

Eden WT-550 and TWO Eden XLT-series 2 x 10 cabs - Karma if you can BEAT THAT
Alone+EasyTarget

ATG wrote:

I don't know what those sqiggles meant, but my rig set me back around $1700.00 U.S.
Well he wants around £130 for his, but the reason i don't want to buy it off him is that it's huge and really heavy and is a bast to do anything with. Otherwise it's a good amp.

£100 - £200

$198 - $368 U.S. (approx)

(so not quite the $1700 you have )

I've actually spied out that Peavey, which is quite good tbh.
oChaos.Haze
+90|6439
SWR workingmans series is a good route.  Also there are cheap methods of finding Ampeg gear used online.  Usually if it's cheap when it's new, I'd stay away.  300 for a used ampeg cabinet is far better than 300 for a brand new crate cabinet, if that makes sense.
Alone+EasyTarget
What does anyone think to this?...

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/options.php?id=69000
J=MAN
+25|6659|OZ

Alone+EasyTarget wrote:

What does anyone think to this?...

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/options.php?id=69000
Could be okay for the money, but I'd have a good squiz around for a second-hand amp first.
J=MAN
+25|6659|OZ

oChaos.Haze wrote:

SWR workingmans series is a good route.  Also there are cheap methods of finding Ampeg gear used online.  Usually if it's cheap when it's new, I'd stay away.  300 for a used ampeg cabinet is far better than 300 for a brand new crate cabinet, if that makes sense.
I absolutely agree that second-hand pwns new, but I'd be surprised if you could find anything by Ampeg or SWR (even Workingman's) in that price range. Unless it's had the crap beaten out of it, that is.
Braddock
Agitator
+916|6291|Éire

J=MAN wrote:

200 quid will only get you a VERY small amp from a company like SWR, Ashdown or Trace-Elliot. It will sound great up close but shite further back.
Do you really not rate Trace Elliott? I always thought they sounded pretty good, plus Mark King plays Trace Elliott. I was thinking of either a Trace Elliott or an Ampeg for myself in the near future.
InfectiousShadow
BF2S Resident Bass Player
+45|6433|Washington State, USA

Braddock wrote:

J=MAN wrote:

200 quid will only get you a VERY small amp from a company like SWR, Ashdown or Trace-Elliot. It will sound great up close but shite further back.
Do you really not rate Trace Elliott? I always thought they sounded pretty good, plus Mark King plays Trace Elliott. I was thinking of either a Trace Elliott or an Ampeg for myself in the near future.
i think ashdown could be on there but only their Blue Electric and Five Fifteen. SWR?! ARE YOU FECKING ME?! those arent that cheap!

for $349.99 you could get a Ampeg BA115 but if you are playing with a loud drummer and guitarist you need at least 300watts otherwise you arent going to hear anything. Id reckon just save up some more money till you can buy a decent Ashdown or Ampeg BA220. Im not sure how much laneys are over in the UK but i thkn they might work too

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard