Des.Kmal
+917|6638|Atlanta, Georgia, USA
OK, so today was my first actual lesson in my classes coming back from Christmas break. Well, I have a teacher I have heard alot of bad things about. Not the things I'm gonna talk about, other things, like how she always  thinks she is right, or how she doesnt listen to student ideas.

We were talking about old Middle East and Egypt, etc., and started talking about religion... not the greatest subject, for such a...  far, far, far left winged person.

I have always grown up Protestant Christian, and have very strong ideals and opinions. Not that I push my beliefs on people, I only put the idea out there, not cram it in their head.

Anyway, back on topic. She began to speak of the Sumerians and how they were polytheistic. OK, thats cool, and then she goes on to say something about the Bible, "and what is that silly book, the popular one, that everyone puts so much stock in too?"

"The Bible?"

"Yes."

I was appalled. "I mean, if any of you are Christian in here (not that I'm ridiculing your beliefs) but arent the Sumerians just as correct as you? Its all about supernatural beings..."

She said other things, but this was the worse, and main thing.

I didnt say anything and I'm as Christian as you can be, and I support the separation of Church and state. I'll worship God on my own time, just as they wont mention it in school when I'm supposed to be learning about World History.

OK, she has some "correctness" about that, but no need to say it. I mean, its the same perspective. But that is where faith comes in, .

Anyway, I'll be sure to say something to someone and update later.... Monday...

Discuss.

Last edited by Des.Kmal (2007-01-05 13:18:50)

Add me on Origin for Battlefield 4 fun: DesKmal
Elamdri
The New Johnnie Cochran
+134|6667|Peoria
Eh, you need to learn about religion in school, but not learn religion in school.

That was a poor statement for her to make though.

I loved when I had my Ancient Civilizations class, the history and culture are intervwoven with religion, you can't understand them without understanding their religion. However, your teacher shouldn't be making remarks about the validity of any religion.
Janysc
+59|6704|Norway
I don't see this as offensive, as she doesn't say that the Sumerians were wrong, nor Christians. She simply asked if they were more or less about the same thing. Don't know if such a statement is related to World History, we don't go so far back in Norway, but I don't see anything wrong with going around the book.

No offense, just an observation .
Des.Kmal

me wrote:

"and what is that silly book
^^

Janysc wrote:

I don't see this as offensive, as she doesn't say that the Sumerians were wrong, nor Christians. She simply asked if they were more or less about the same thing. Don't know if such a statement is related to World History, we don't go so far back in Norway, but I don't see anything wrong with going around the book.

i found that very offensive.
Janysc
+59|6704|Norway

Des.Kmal wrote:

me wrote:

^^

Janysc wrote:

Ah, that. Sorry, my eyes drifted to that last quote of hers. She should have skipped that part; but you agree that the rest is more or less inoffensive ?
Des.Kmal

Janysc wrote:

Des.Kmal wrote:

me wrote:

^^

Janysc wrote:

Ah, that. Sorry, my eyes drifted to that last quote of hers. She should have skipped that part; but you agree that the rest is more or less inoffensive ?
lol, of course. but that is besides the point.
Janysc
+59|6704|Norway

Des.Kmal wrote:

lol, of course. but that is besides the point.
It is; but isn't going on with this, a Freudian slip on her part, a bit exaggerated? If you're going to tell anyone, I suggest you take it up with her, personally. Make sure it doesn't happen again and all that; I find doing these things personally are the best way to solve an issue with a teacher.
TheEternalPessimist
Wibble
+412|6640|Mhz

lol kick up a fuss, get a few witnesses and fire the bitch. I'm not religious at all but to refer to a pivotal point of someones beliefs as 'silly' is just plain out of order.
SlightlySto0pid
+7|6470|New York
what grade
Des.Kmal

TheEternalPessimist wrote:

lol kick up a fuss, get a few witnesses and fire the bitch. I'm not religious at all but to refer to a pivotal point of someones beliefs as 'silly' is just plain out of order.
yeah, i wish. she is idiotic, and think she is all-knowing. i could say 3 or 4 times where me or someone else has proved her wrong and she got pissed.

SlightlySto0pid wrote:

what grade
sophomore.
deeznutz1245
Connecticut: our chimps are stealin yo' faces.
+483|6513|Connecticut

Janysc wrote:

Well, a good teacher does not teach students what to think, a good teacher teaches students how to think.
Malloy must go
Ratzinger
+43|6412|Wollongong, NSW, Australia
So you go to school to learn, and someone with a lot more learning than yourself tells you something, but you decide she must be wrong, cos it doesn't fit what someone else told you.

Why go to school? You already know everything anyway, don't you?
Marlboroman82
Personal philosophy: Clothing optional.
+1,022|6644|Camp XRay

i would still rather have one of those hot teachers that likes to have sex with their students
https://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l250/marlboroman82/Untitled-8.png
Janysc
+59|6704|Norway

deeznutz1245 wrote:

Well, a good teacher does not teach students what to think, a good teacher teaches students how to think.
Who said she was good? I only said that her mentioning the main similarity between the Sumerian religion and Christianity was not particularily offensive.
Marconius
One-eyed Wonder Mod
+368|6714|San Francisco
I'd be perfectly comfortable in her class. 
Des.Kmal

Ratzinger wrote:

So you go to school to learn, and someone with a lot more learning than yourself tells you something, but you decide she must be wrong, cos it doesn't fit what someone else told you.

deeznutz1245
+483|6513|Connecticut

Janysc wrote:

deeznutz1245 wrote:

Who said she was good? I only said that her mentioning the main similarity between the Sumerian religion and Christianity was not particularily offensive.
Um, read my post. I am telling you she is shitty because she lets personal affiliation conflict with her lesson plan. Got it?
Malloy must go
deeznutz1245
+483|6513|Connecticut

Marconius wrote:

I'd be perfectly comfortable in her class. 
I bet.
Malloy must go
Janysc
+59|6704|Norway

deeznutz1245 wrote:

Um, read my post. I am telling you she is shitty because she lets personal affiliation conflict with her lesson plan. Got it?
No and yes. What is wrong with asking her class a question? Gives her an indication on who is actually paying attention, and who in her class that can relate what they are taught to other things they've learned. The only wrong move on her part was saying that the Bible is a silly book; it simply is not, having changed so many people's lives, and many of those are not silly people. It was not a good question. But it doesn't make her bad. Got it ?
deeznutz1245
+483|6513|Connecticut

Janysc wrote:

The only wrong move on her part was saying that the Bible is a silly book; it simply is not, having changed so many people's lives, and many of those are not silly people. It was not a good question. But it doesn't make her bad. Got it ?
I think you got my point now.
Malloy must go
Janysc
+59|6704|Norway

deeznutz1245 wrote:

I think you got my point now.
I didn't get anything more now. I flushed my thought bin. But then we are agreed. Now let's distance ourselves from each other, one step at a time, no sudden movements, easy, easy...
deeznutz1245
+483|6513|Connecticut
Boo!!!
Malloy must go
Janysc
+59|6704|Norway

deeznutz1245 wrote:

Boo!!!
NO U

/hijack

Still waiting for an update on the situation. I think a personal confrontation is the best approach. The teacher doesn't deserve to be fired for it, only straightened up; an apology in front of the class would be nice. And humiliating.
deeznutz1245
+483|6513|Connecticut

Janysc wrote:

deeznutz1245 wrote:

Boo!!!
NO U

/hijack

Still waiting for an update on the situation. I think a personal confrontation is the best approach. The teacher doesn't deserve to be fired for it, only straightened up; an apology in front of the class would be nice. And humiliating.
I concur.
Malloy must go
Dr_3V|L
+51|6746|Twente, The Netherlands

Des.Kmal wrote:

Ratzinger wrote:

I believe you go to school to learn about the world around you. To think about everything you hear. Not thinking that everything that is said to you is completely true.
Teachers are not always correct.

She doesn't know more about christianity than her students.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard