BVC
+325|6701
A serving army guy in my paintball group has used a bunch of different rifles; most of the ones in vanilla BF2.  I asked him which rifle he'd chose to replace the Austeyrs we currently use (A locally made Steyr Aug, POS from what he says, overheats too easily), he told me he'd pick the M4.  Loves it.

Last edited by Pubic (2007-03-28 01:28:17)

James-M-II
+13|6373|ENGLAND

Major.League.Infidel wrote:

I know Nam era M16's jam alot, but from what I've heard the current ones are fine.  And the M16A4 I got to fool around with at Pendleton worked perfectly.  From what I've heard, the L85's melt if you fire them for too long and are inaccurate.
where did you read that? lol, that is total bollocks my feathered friend, melting rifles? i was in the British army, never did my rifle melt, and also, its not innaccurate atall...
Bubbalo
The Lizzard
+541|6566

Parker wrote:

Bubbalo wrote:

Uh huh...........so you've been in a combat situation with both an L85A1 and an M16?
a lot closer than you have youngster.

oh, and answer the question......stop dodging it.
Given that you are the one calling people names and claiming that your experience trumps all, I would suggest that you first demonstrate your experience.

Have you or have you not used both the weapons in question in a variety of combat situations?
some_random_panda
Flamesuit essential
+454|6396

Sk wrote:

manitobapaintballa wrote:

Major.League.Infidel wrote:

I know Nam era M16's jam alot, but from what I've heard the current ones are fine.  And the M16A4 I got to fool around with at Pendleton worked perfectly.  From what I've heard, the L85's melt if you fire them for too long and are inaccurate.
the l85's are more accurae the british military had to RAISE the mininmum markmanship score because it is so much more accurate
oh and the melting this is BS
it was down to the insect repellent that was issued to troops reacting with the plastic in the butt.
New repellent was issued
My torch melted (it was a Wolflite angle head with camo) - the camo became sticky.
Also, the torch is poorly designed, despite it being made in Ohio - the parts are too easily lost, it's almost impossible to find replacements, the hook clanks against the webbing when you walk...etc, etc.
It's almost impossible to sneak up on someone when you have one of those hanging from a metal hook.

And now for the awesome insect repellant that is effective for up to 15 hours from one application (keep away from ALL plastics)...
Bushman!!!!  (as tested by the Australian Army)
http://www.bushman-repellent.com/index.htm
https://www.bushman-repellent.com/images/twin-tubes-product.jpg
note what the site says:

bushman wrote:

Bushman 'Plus' & 'Ultra' Gels contain our proven 'DryGel' technology. This means that when applied to your skin they quickly dry to a point where you are no longer aware of them. Now you can enjoy longer lasting protection from biting insects for Hours Longer. Approved for carriage on aircraft.

Last edited by some_random_panda (2007-03-28 01:44:31)

Parker
isteal
+1,452|6399|The Gem Saloon

Bubbalo wrote:

Parker wrote:

Bubbalo wrote:

Uh huh...........so you've been in a combat situation with both an L85A1 and an M16?
a lot closer than you have youngster.

oh, and answer the question......stop dodging it.
Given that you are the one calling people names and claiming that your experience trumps all, I would suggest that you first demonstrate your experience.

Have you or have you not used both the weapons in question in a variety of combat situations?
i love when you are wrong and try to grasp at whatever you can to take the attention off of you.
you made the statement, now back it up.
and i havent called anyone names child, im telling it how it is.
Bubbalo
The Lizzard
+541|6566
You have also made statements that you refuse to back up;

1)  That based on experience, the M-16 is better, yet you apparently have none

2)  That I am a child, which is false

When you admit that you can't back these up, or back them up, I'll be happy to back up my statement.
James-M-II
+13|6373|ENGLAND

[=][=]DADDYOFDEATH wrote:

L85A1 is crap compared to the M16. L85A2 is far more accurate and better than the M16. The L85A2 now has better working parts (made by a famous gun company) that make is less prone to clogging up, and has a deflector which enables the ejected rounds deflect away much better, so as to prevent ejected shells between the ejection window,breech and working parts. Theres also no real need to 'forward assist' with the newer version of the l85 series.
this man knows what hes on about, no lie. i remember back in the first time i did training, second exercise, i played enemy while the guys did their fire and maneuver test.... my l85a1 was jamming every shot when i was firing BLANKS! and even with the gas on excessive, the l85a2 is a huge imrovement no matter what anyone sais.
The_Guardsman
Tally Ho!!
+81|6750|I'm not sure.... Buts its dark
I can only really comment on the SA80 A2 on this thread. My experience with the M16 and the C7 (Canadian forces version of the M16) has been brief. The M16 for me was to light and felt that if l had to hit someone with it, it would brake. However It is longer than the SA80 A2 so when the Bayonet is fitted you don't have to get as close to use it. Oh and for ceremonial sentry you can put the rifle butt on the floor, you could'nt with the SA80 A2 which got painful at times!

The SA80 was a very acurate rifle, but at times did have stoppages. However when H&K finished with it, it was fantastic. With my time useing the rifle l never had a stoppage with it, other than empty magazine.
If you took your time zeroing the rifle and the SUSAT it was very accurate. I never failed a APWT and on my last one got Marksman.
The rifle is also abit more compact for FISH & CHIPS ( Fighting In Someones House & Causing Havoc In Peoples Streets) or CQB. But the rifle is still a pain in the arse to clean at times.
Parker
isteal

Bubbalo wrote:

You have also made statements that you refuse to back up;

1)  That based on experience, the M-16 is better, yet you apparently have none

2)  That I am a child, which is false

When you admit that you can't back these up, or back them up, I'll be happy to back up my statement.
1) not once did i state which of the two firearms i thought were better or preferred.

2) you are yet again attempting to divert attention from the statement you made.

3) i have plenty of experience with the M-16 family of assault rifles, along with many other small arms. none of which i feel the need to discuss with a child who reads numbers and then spouts them back and expects people to believe his "Facts and Figures" to be the truth. furthermore your original post was more intended to bash the US armed forces rather than stick to the topic at hand. i just felt the need to call you out on your ignorance. ive seen enough of you posting in gun threads acting like you know what your talking about....you actually had the nerve to attempt to correct an armorer......someone that works with guns for a living, only for me to see weeks later a post where you say "And what is a BoreSnake?" wow bubbalo, for someone that is so informed and knowledgeable i would have thought that in the world of firearms that would be common fucking sense. oh wait, it would be common sense for people that need to clean a firearm....hence gaining experience from firing, then stripping and cleaning said weapon.
that is where real life comes in.....when you are using a weapon you arent thinking "gosh, im sure glad i know what the cyclic rate of this weapon is." or some other bullshit that you think matters. no, the things you need to know are like how many magazines can you put through an MP5 before it starts cooking off rounds in the chamber from the heat build up in the receiver, or how many rounds can you put through an LMG before barrels start to deform, or the best way to clear a jam etc....
have you ever used a firearm?

4) when you stop acting condescending and take everything out of context, and stop debating like a CHILD, i will stop referring to you as one.

so on that note child, i will give you this chance once again to please explain why you think that the L8 is better than the M-16.
i would also like to know what weapons the US special forces currently use, since you apparently think they dont use the M-16 family anymore.
Bubbalo
The Lizzard
+541|6566
I'm acting condescendingly?  Says the one calling the other person a child?

I'm curious as to how my original post was supposed to bash the armed forces of the US?  The fact is different armies operate differently.  Some are from small countries and tend to concentrate on superior training and supplies (typically European countries).  Some, such as the US, have the ability to field much larger armies, and base their tactics instead upon units which are solid backed up by more elite units, and their organisation reflects this.

Further, I feel it relevant to remind you that the armourer took my side in the subsequent argument, stating that he'd used the incorrect term for the sake of simplicity.  That is to say: based on your arguments, I know more about guns than you because the armourer took my side.

Finally, you do realise that the facts and figures can tell you everything you just argued about?  How do you think armies know what their units will need in terms of supplies, and training manuals?

Unless I'm mistaken (which is entirely possible), US SF use, primarily, weapons other than the M-16 including the M-4 (which is currently being adopted as standard by the Marines as well?).

Last edited by Bubbalo (2007-03-28 05:14:46)

Parker
isteal
still yet to state your point behind the statement. GG on not answering.
supplies were not what i was discussing. GG on taking things out of context again.
based on my argument you are a little kid who READS about guns, while i on the other hand have first hand experience with firearms you havent even dreamed of holding.
http://s47.photobucket.com/albums/f180/ … uzi009.flv
GG bubbs.
KuSTaV
noice
+947|6516|Gold Coast
The Styer is the gun thats made completely out of plastic apart from the moving parts such as springs etc.

I actually think that they are both equal, but M16 does have that extra bit of 'experience' if you will about it.
noice                                                                                                        https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/26774/awsmsanta.png
Bubbalo
The Lizzard
+541|6566
Did you even read my post, or did you just see the word supply and start typing?

I maintain that the SA-80/L85A2 is superior primarily due to it's ranged accuracy.  In a fight with an opposing conventional army, soldiers in modern warfare are likely to need to engage enemies at extreme ranges.  Whilst the M-16 may be superior for such actions as Iraq, Iraq is more similar to a police operation in an unstable nation than to outright warfare (that is to say, they are fighting primarily with armed civilians rather than enemy armies).

And personally, I don't dream of holding guns.  But hey, whatever floats your boat...................
paranoid101
Ambitious but Rubbish
+540|6745
I saw a program I think it as on the History channel about the M16 in the Vietnam war and the program said that most malfunctions of the M16 were caused by the soldiers using them messing around with the spring inside trying to lower the rate of fire and the rifle if treated right (which was hard during the Vietnam war) was really good.

It also said that it estimated that it took 50,000 rounds to kill one enemy solider in the all war.

As for the L85 A2 the program said that the earlier modal were full of faults, but this version has ironed them out and is one of the most accurate rifles in the world.

Just like to point out that the SA80 was the first rifle with full auto mode to be give out to the general British infantry man, before this all rifle's were either bolt action or semi auto, experts think this is because the British army has been a little bit backwards in the past about giving our troops a weapon with full auto mode because they thought our troops would use it all the time and much more ammo would be needed.

But that said our troops have always been trained to fire in semi auto.
CannonFodder11b
Purple Heart Recipient
+73|6695|Fort Lewis WA

LostFate wrote:

stryyker wrote:

M16 has been battletested. Nuff said.
What do you think the British Are usin in Iraq an Afganistan...pitch forks?

The SA80 has been battle tested too so whats your point.
You sure about that? I have seen many brits trolling around with canadian made M4 varients.

Pretty snazzy weapons with almost no barrel comming out hand guards, just compensator. The compensator looked like that on the new mod for the para-SAWs "shorty" barrel.  Makes me wonder if the threading increases accuracy like the new short SAW barrel.

The m16's main flaw in vietnam was the humidity, lack of weapons maintenence done by the troops, and the powder in the casings. The fact that it was billed as a self cleaning weapon didn't help matters.  The humidity mixed with the CLP they used would gum up the powder.

The M4 is a great spin off of the m16.  I love mine, I just wish I could get my hands on either the XM416 or the XM8.  Those are some pretty weapon systems.

Having never shot a british rifle Honestly i could not even begin to say which is better.  I do know from first hand experiance that SAS and the British "military police, and even AEGIS" all use the canadian M4 varient.

AEGIS is the UK's version of Blackwater USA.
CannonFodder11b
Purple Heart Recipient
+73|6695|Fort Lewis WA

paranoid101 wrote:

I saw a program I think it as on the History channel about the M16 in the Vietnam war and the program said that most malfunctions of the M16 were caused by the soldiers using them messing around with the spring inside trying to lower the rate of fire and the rifle if treated right (which was hard during the Vietnam war) was really good.

It also said that it estimated that it took 50,000 rounds to kill one enemy solider in the all war.
When you look at how the grunts fought, you see why so many rounds went down range.  Also the VC were very good at recovering bodies.  Spray and pray will not get you very many kills.  It will keep the heads down its the single shots you should worry about. Hence whyn the US went to 3 round burst. For a while the us was thinking of removing the 3 round burst capability and leaving it single or double.  The first 2 rounds on burst are fairly close, the third round is oftena little high and either left or right depending on what hand its fired from
link52787
+29|6527
I'm not in the military or have fired a M16 but bear with me here.

The reason why the U.S. has switched to the M16 and still is the standard assault rifle is because in the 1950s the U.S. wanted a rifle that is automatic capable and can hold ammo that can pierce through helmets.  The assault rifle was born, the M14, though it can fire full auto and fires heavy cartridges, the 7.62mm rounds( correct me if am wrong).  It was not accurate because the heavy ammunition and the recoil.  If you look at the M14, the stock and butt meet at a really steep dip.  It made the rifle "rotate" at that pivot point causing it to move up thus, making it hard for the soldier to reset his sights on the target.

Then a German gun maker( correct me if I am wrong) developed the M16 design.  The M16 is a straight gun, thus the recoils straight back, easier to handle and he ditched the 7.62mm rounds to 5.56mm so there is less recoil and a soldier can carry twice as more ammo at his disposal because its lighter. 

The M16 can pierce through helmets, light armor, accurate and is able to be full auto. 
In the Vietnam war it was battle tested but it got mixed reviews from the soldiers because jams alot but the problem was solved by regular weapon maintenance, if you don't maintain your weapon than your rifle has a greater chance of jamming.  So the military gave soldiers proper cleaning kits, but some still neglect to clean their rifles and still have some disdain for the M16.

I don't know about modern time but a couple of my friends are in the military, ones a Marine and ones in the Army national guard, both scored expert marksmen ship but the one in the army has experienced jamming during his testing but he still likes it.

Sorry if its too long
CannonFodder11b
Purple Heart Recipient
+73|6695|Fort Lewis WA

Bubbalo wrote:

Unless I'm mistaken (which is entirely possible), US SF use, primarily, weapons other than the M-16 including the M-4 (which is currently being adopted as standard by the Marines as well?).
You're wrong.
SF trains on every type of weapon system it can for 3 reasons
A) if you know the weapons capabilities and limitations, you are one step up on the enemy.
B) they are not primarily the ,kill em alls people think.... they train to be subject matter experts, so they can teach another country how to fight, how to interlock fields of fire, and how to maintain the weapon systems they have.
C) Incase of emergency they have to be able to pick up an AK-47 and use it reliably. You know how many cherries I have seen try to remove a mag from an AK. Takes a bit if you have not seen it done.  Ever see someone swing a AK like a baseball bat? Its not for shits and giggles in hollywood, its how a wounded person can charge his AK to chamber a round or the fastest way to clear a malfunction. (its quite simple and I have never seen another weapon system where you can hold it by the barrel and swing it out, doesnt take a mark mcguire swing either a simple swing and its ready to kill)  No matter what they're enemy is using they have to know how to fire it incase they have to use it.  SF uses the M4, nothing special about it other then the fact they spray [pant them with bo-flage.

Now Delta on the other hand often uses MP'5s, or the new weapon HK designed for them the XM416 i believe it is. Its a heavily modified M4 that uses a gas piston instead of a gas tube.  What about the SPR? Thats essentially a heavily modified M16 turned sniper rifle.
The M16/M4 series has had its lifespan greatly increased with the introduction of the picatinny rail system, The army offers many different types of optics, for both day and night.  (3x ACOGs, 4xAcogs,Pas13d,M68 reflex sights,EOTech Halo's,PAC4's,PEQ2's,STORMs)  Talk about accuracy in a longrange fight?  Marines pluck targets at 600m, using an iron sight.  The infantryman using a 4xacog can ping a target at about 800.  Accuracy is well known for the m16 family. But like anything the final factor is the shooter.  I can nail targets out to 500m like they are going out of style.  Yet that 600m target kicks my ass.
Its the shooter, not the weapon.
CannonFodder11b
Purple Heart Recipient
+73|6695|Fort Lewis WA
And for the record the only difference from the M16a2 to the m16a4 is the fact its got a removable carrying handle and the picatinny rail system for hand guards. Last I checked the marines wanted to go with the m16a4.
Although some marine grunts will carry the m4, like PL's and SL's.
kylef
Gone
+1,352|6498|N. Ireland
It depends on the action they are in. The SA80 reloads a lot quicker and has a sustainable accuracy. The M16, however, has a superior design, however I've heard COUNTLESS stories about its problems. Although as far as I know there is an A4 version out? I have also heard many problems with the SA80 so don't think I am a fanboy.

I'd go into battle with an SA80. But maybe that is because I am British.
CannonFodder11b
Purple Heart Recipient
+73|6695|Fort Lewis WA

leetkyle wrote:

It depends on the action they are in. The SA80 reloads a lot quicker and has a sustainable accuracy. The M16, however, has a superior design, however I've heard COUNTLESS stories about its problems. Although as far as I know there is an A4 version out? I have also heard many problems with the SA80 so don't think I am a fanboy.

I'd go into battle with an SA80. But maybe that is because I am British.
The overall accuracy and reload time vary depending on the user.  So thats not a good argument.

I've been carrying an m4 since 1998.  The onyl times I have had malfunctions was due to the magizines loosing spring tension, Or do to a broken extractor I got while doing a SpendEx.  (pretty much you just shoot as many rounds as you have to burn off in order to either clear a range, or to get a new ammo drop at the end of the fiscal year.  (If a unit doesn't shoot all its alloted rounds that year, they loose ammo come the 1st of the new fiscal year.  So often times units will horde they're ammo until that last few weeks of the year and they will do a "Range week" and end it off with a SpendEx, so they can get more ammo alloted to them the next year.
Units that deployed overseas get screwed cause they're ammo sits in a ASP, so when they get back, the army cuts they're alloted rounds, and they have to go begging other units for ammo.
blisteringsilence
I'd rather hunt with Cheney than ride with Kennedy
+83|6707|Little Rock, Arkansas

link52787 wrote:

I'm not in the military or have fired a M16 but bear with me here.

The reason the U.S. has switched to the M16 and still is the standard assault rifle is because in the 1950s the U.S. wanted a rifle that is automatic capable and can hold ammo that can pierce through helmets.  The assault rifle was born, the M14, though it can fire full auto and fires heavy cartridges, the 7.62mm rounds( correct me if am wrong).  It was not accurate because the heavy ammunition and the recoil.  If you look at the M14, the stock and butt meet at a really steep dip.  It made the rifle "rotate" at that pivot point causing it to move up thus, making it hard for the soldier to reset his sights on the target.
When the US switched to the M14, it was becuase they wanted a weapon capable of firing fully automatic. It used the same ammunition as the M1 and M1A, and defeated the reloading problems inherent in the M1 (the much hated stripper clip). It was, and is, a fantastically accurate rifle. The army still uses modified M14's in shooting contests. Hell, you can buy one that's awesomely accurate from our friends at Springfield Armory.

I'm not that sure what you're talking about with the stock and the buttplate. There is no one stock that is good for everyone. If you're talking about a custom fit stock, then yes, but everyone has a different length of pull, pitch, different preferences in the drop and pull and drop at heel.

link52787 wrote:

Then a German gun maker( correct me if I am wrong) developed the M16 design.  The M16 is a straight gun, thus the recoils straight back, easier to handle and he ditched the 7.62mm rounds to 5.56mm so there is less recoil and a soldier can carry twice as more ammo at his disposal because its lighter.
The M16, and its babies, were developed by Eugene Stoner. He was born in Indiana. The reason we went to the 5.56 round was that the army said that's what they wanted. A soldier could carry MORE (though not twice) ammo for the weight. The weapon's ?straightness? wasn't a selling point. The gun had less recoil becuase it fired a smaller, lighter projectile with less powder. The M-16 series is, in fact, less accurate than the M14 series. That's more to do with the round fired and length of the barrel than anything else, but it remains fact nontheless.

link52787 wrote:

The M16 can pierce through helmets, light armor, accurate and is able to be full auto. 
In the Vietnam war it was battle tested but it got mixed reviews from the soldiers because jams alot but the problem was solved by regular weapon maintenance, if you don't maintain your weapon than your rifle has a greater chance of jamming.  So the military gave soldiers proper cleaning kits, but some still neglect to clean their rifles and still have some disdain for the M16.
Now, I'm not a soldier, but I do know that the little 5.56 rounds we fire will not pierce a modern helmet, nor a vest that has a trauma plate in it. It is much more likely to deflect off the helmet than pierce it.

I agree on the cleaning, that's part of the reason vietnam era m16's jammed. The other reason was the really awful propellant (gunpowder) the army substituted for the spec, it was corrosive and fouled the weapons badly. I will tell you that I don't know any soldiers that will eat before they clean their weapon. CannonFodder and Gunslinger will likely back me up on that.
link52787
+29|6527
thanks for correcting me blisteringsilence, I wasn't so sure about what I read a while back.  I learn something new everyday. 
The_Guardsman
Tally Ho!!
+81|6750|I'm not sure.... Buts its dark

paranoid101 wrote:

As for the L85 A2 the program said that the earlier modal were full of faults, but this version has ironed them out and is one of the most accurate rifles in the world.

Just like to point out that the SA80 was the first rifle with full auto mode to be give out to the general British infantry man, before this all rifle's were either bolt action or semi auto, experts think this is because the British army has been a little bit backwards in the past about giving our troops a weapon with full auto mode because they thought our troops would use it all the time and much more ammo would be needed.

But that said our troops have always been trained to fire in semi auto.
The previous rifle the SLR (Self Loading Rifle) according to my dad had a kick like an elephant gun! There was a fully automatic version (The FN) but that was'nt issued to British troops due to either money or the fact that a burst of 3 rounds from the rifle would have gone every where! There was a way of making the SLR automatic. It involved either a bit of chewing gum paper or a match stick. The only problem being is when you pulled the trigger you had to hold on to the rifle untill the magazine was empty!
Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6771|UK

Parker wrote:

still yet to state your point behind the statement. GG on not answering.
supplies were not what i was discussing. GG on taking things out of context again.
based on my argument you are a little kid who READS about guns, while i on the other hand have first hand experience with firearms you havent even dreamed of holding.
http://s47.photobucket.com/albums/f180/ … uzi009.flv
GG bubbs.
Parker every time you post that video everyone is thinking "yes we have seen it before, it doesnt make you cool, it doesnt mean you realy know anything about it, so stop posting it". Basically your making a fool of yourself.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard