Bell
Frosties > Cornflakes
+362|6541|UK

Missionless wrote:

LostFate wrote:

stryyker wrote:

M16 has been battletested. Nuff said.
What do you think the British Are usin in Iraq an Afganistan...pitch forks?

The SA80 has been battle tested too so whats your point.
Well those pitch forks have been battletested....
Doesnt the SA80 blow your left arm off :S?  Meant to be held in the right hand I know but seems a fun fact anyways :S (maybe not the SA80 but I am sure it is)

martyn
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6573|SE London

Bell wrote:

Missionless wrote:

LostFate wrote:

What do you think the British Are usin in Iraq an Afganistan...pitch forks?

The SA80 has been battle tested too so whats your point.
Well those pitch forks have been battletested....
Doesnt the SA80 blow your left arm off :S?  Meant to be held in the right hand I know but seems a fun fact anyways :S (maybe not the SA80 but I am sure it is)

martyn
L85A1 did, it was riddled with problems. The A2 is much better.
TheOneAndOnlyX
Banned
+36|6366|Florida, USA
Lost fate you can go fuck yourself. You are just trying to bring on a topic which will bring fights and controversy over one another. You are just trying to say the British have some better gun than the Americans in this topic.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6593|132 and Bush

You can mow your lawn with an AK, just make sure your knuckles are up for it..lol
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Bell
Frosties > Cornflakes
+362|6541|UK

TheOneAndOnlyX wrote:

Lost fate you can go fuck yourself. You are just trying to bring on a topic which will bring fights and controversy over one another. You are just trying to say the British have some better gun than the Americans in this topic.
Well the Brits tend to be more inavitive with there equipment, Challenger 2 tank is a good example of that.

Martyn
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6573|SE London

Bell wrote:

TheOneAndOnlyX wrote:

Well the Brits tend to be more inavitive with there equipment, Challenger 2 tank is a good example of that.

Martyn
Oh no, not another Challenger 2 - M1A2 thread.....

Last edited by Bertster7 (2007-01-04 10:42:45)

Sk
stat padding is for girls
+41|6381
now thats a topic for the next thread "challenger 2 or the M1A1 - which is best?"
but the answer is obviously the Challenger 2.... so... lets not have that arguement

tbh... I think us Brits lead the way in NEW weapon designs, but the US have the ability to make a shedload more, for a shed load less, in less time too... to about the same quality.
It's all a bit of a muchness anyway... if a bullet comes out the end of it, in the direction you're pointing... then all is good
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6593|132 and Bush

Sk wrote:

tbh... I think us Brits lead the way in NEW weapon designs, but the US have the ability to make a shedload more, for a shed load less, in less time too... to about the same quality.
I wonder why..lol

https://i10.tinypic.com/486brdk.jpg
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Sk
+41|6381

Kmarion wrote:

Sk wrote:

I wonder why..lol

http://i10.tinypic.com/486brdk.jpg
I really have NO idea
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6593|132 and Bush

Sk wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

Sk wrote:

I wonder why..lol

http://i10.tinypic.com/486brdk.jpg
I really have NO idea
It make me wonder what my taxes would be if we were.. lets just say half that spending.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Commie Killer
+192|6379
I remember hearing that the SAS pick the M16 variants over the L85 in many cases.
PspRpg-7
-
+961|6690

There's a big difference between the M16 and the M16A2.
[=][=]DADDYOFDEATH
+46|6444|Bradford UK
L85A1 is crap compared to the M16. L85A2 is far more accurate and better than the M16. The L85A2 now has better working parts (made by a famous gun company) that make is less prone to clogging up, and has a deflector which enables the ejected rounds deflect away much better, so as to prevent ejected shells between the ejection window,breech and working parts. Theres also no real need to 'forward assist' with the newer version of the l85 series.
Surgeons
U shud proabbly f off u fat prik
+3,097|6481|Gogledd Cymru

[=][=]DADDYOFDEATH wrote:

L85A1 is crap compared to the M16. L85A2 is far more accurate and better than the M16. The L85A2 now has better working parts (made by a famous gun company) that make is less prone to clogging up, and has a deflector which enables the ejected rounds deflect away much better, so as to prevent ejected shells between the ejection window,breech and working parts. Theres also no real need to 'forward assist' with the newer version of the l85 series.
hear hear this man knows it
*=]AD[=*Pro_NL
+77|6621|The Netherlands
M16 Defenetly
wah1188
You orrible caaaaaaan't
+321|6452|UK
Currently the M16 after much battle testing trial and improvement it has proved to be a very good assault rifle the only gripe I've heard is that it isn't left handed and you will just get gun powder poop in your eye. The L85A2 does have quite a few creases ironed out I actually heard you can squeeze the bit where the firing mechanism is from the outside and stop the gun from firing. It is heavy aswell compared to other rifles most of its weight is at the back, one of the good thing about the gun is the scope and its accuracy. I heard its that heavy that the recoil doesn't affect you as much. Thats pretty much all I can remember from one night of wikipeding guns.
Shadow893
lel
+75|6684|England

Major.League.Infidel wrote:

Missionless wrote:

lol plastic gun.. not the most scary thing to go into war with but its ok.
I think both guns are cheap mass-pruduction guns
How much experience have you had with either?  Played with em in a videogame?  Is your idea of an awesome gun the G36?  Cause that's all plastic.  The M16 is Metal
lol - i could never guess hat country you're from
Jasp
Bongabilla
+171|6654|The Outer Circle
imho, L86...

Even tho when i was issued with it last summer for 2 weeks (TA) FIBUA ... a no-no just a tad too long, but is amazingly accurate!
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/11882/holteendersig2.jpghttps://forums.bf2s.com/img/avatars/11508.gif
LostFate
Same shit, Different Arsehole
+95|6477|England

TheOneAndOnlyX wrote:

no mate i made this thread to see what peoples opinions on both weapons are...

heres an idea why don't you grow up a little
LostFate
Same shit, Different Arsehole
+95|6477|England

Sk wrote:

now thats a topic for the next thread "challenger 2 or the M1A1 - which is best?"
but the answer is obviously the Challenger 2.... so... lets not have that arguement

It's all a bit of a muchness anyway... if a bullet comes out the end of it, in the direction you're pointing... then all is good
haha, try searching an you will see that we already had that thread!
Blehm98
conservative hatemonger
+150|6455|meh-land
sorry, i had to say this though

one of the big problems with the L85 is that it uses a type of ammunition that i believe is used in heavy machine guns, meaning that it has a LOT of muzzle flash compared to other weapons of its caliber.  I read this in a sniper book though, so it wouldn't make much difference in a standard combat arena, it mainly reduced its use as a sniper weapon
Sk
+41|6381

Blehm98 wrote:

one of the big problems with the L85 is that it uses a type of ammunition that i believe is used in heavy machine guns, meaning that it has a LOT of muzzle flash compared to other weapons of its caliber.  I read this in a sniper book though, so it wouldn't make much difference in a standard combat arena, it mainly reduced its use as a sniper weapon
It uses the same rounds as the M16... Nato 5.56x45
and is also fitted with the NATO standard flash hider, same as the M16
so that's not true

and you'd never choose the L85 or M16 over a dedicated sniper rifle in the first place... lol (i mean, for SNIPING duty that is!)

Last edited by Sk (2007-01-04 18:13:51)

Surgeons
U shud proabbly f off u fat prik
+3,097|6481|Gogledd Cymru

Sk wrote:

Blehm98 wrote:

It uses the same rounds as the M16... Nato 5.56x45
and is also fitted with the NATO standard flash hider, same as the M16
so that's not true

and you'd never choose the L85 or M16 over a dedicated sniper rifle in the first place... lol (i mean, for SNIPING duty that is!)
Yeah the brits standard sniper rifle is the lee enfield l96A1
wah1188
You orrible caaaaaaan't
+321|6452|UK

TheOneAndOnlyX wrote:

Wow whats the need
ts-pulsar
+54|6494
One of my co-workers is a sgt in the marine corps reserves, and is the armorer for a recon unit.  He's been to Iraq a couple times now and is probably gonna be going back sometime during the summer.  Because he's with a recon unit he tends to see just about every weapon that the US military uses and a couple of foreign weapons.

Anyway, to get to my point, the biggest problem that the current generation of M16's and M4s have is bad magazines.  The magazines springs tend to be crap and lose tension when they are kept loaded for more than a week at a time, once they weaken they are bad forever, this is probably the biggest reason people think the M16 is a piece of crap, which is unfair because they run almost flawlessly with proper magazines.  The reason the magazines are crap is simple, it's due to a "fair" business practice clause that all M16 magazines have to be manufactured by small business's in the US.  This means that there are a lot of manufacturers out that that build varied quality magazines, usually the problem is bad springs.

The other big problem the M16/M4 has is that soldiers aren't really instructed in how to clean and oil, either that or they ignore the lesson, a lot of soldiers seem to think that the gas ports are oiling holes, and the gas system on ANY gas operated gun should be bone dry and free of debris.

Another big problem which is also magazine related is broken or bent followers in the magazine.  When a soldier does a combat reload, either in practice or in a real fight, he simply drops that magazine on the ground, well the heavy part of the magazine is the top so they land on the follower and bend the crap out of them which ruins the magazine till an armorer can fix it.

The problems that M16's have are mostly user error, the L85 is just as prone to the same problems as the M16.  I firmly believe that the M16 has a bad reputation for two reasons.

#1 it was a piece of crap in vietnam, and it still suffers from that stigma even though those problems have been fixed

#2 it's used by huge military force and is only 2nd to the AK-47 for production numbers, so there are going to be the occasional defects like anything mass produced, and it only takes a couple soliders bitching about one gun to get a rumor going that all the guns are pieces of crap.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard