kilgoretrout
+53|6622|Little Rock, AR
I don't blame them.  I think they should charge everyone in Europe twice as much if they want the software...  Why?

http://news.com.com/EU+slaps+record+fin … 78281.html
liquidat0r
wtf.
+2,223|6779|UK

wooly-back-jack wrote:

I think their way of thinking is our £ is almost twice as strong, we must be twice as rich, charge them twice as much!!
lol

wooly-back-jack wrote:

thick feckers. they'll just get twice as many pirated versions.
I doubt it. Vista looks like it will have much better piracy protection.

---

As for Vista. It is quite definitely a rip off.
samfink
+31|6707

kilgoretrout wrote:

I don't blame them.  I think they should charge everyone in Europe twice as much if they want the software...  Why?

juts because the EU fdoes that doesn't mean we all support it.yte your retaliation punishes us all.. hmph. anyway, on-topic- yeah,it's a common tactic. helps them increase their bottom line.
Surgeons
U shud proabbly f off u fat prik
+3,097|6641|Gogledd Cymru

Titch2349 wrote:

Have fun guys.... im hopefully getting it for free (legal aswell )
how tell me, tell me, heck, tell us all
kilgoretrout
+53|6622|Little Rock, AR

samfink wrote:

kilgoretrout wrote:

juts because the EU fdoes that doesn't mean we all support it.yte your retaliation punishes us all.. hmph. anyway, on-topic- yeah,it's a common tactic. helps them increase their bottom line.
It doesn't matter if everyone in Europe supports it or not.  Microsoft has to recoup all that money one way or another.
r'Eeee
That's how I roll, BITCH!
+311|6600

Bell wrote:

I just looked on a site (not amazon) and found prices much closer to the mark.  All be it the UK is still paying more than our American friends but nothing like the prices in the original post.  Check out www.overclockers.co.uk (yeesh I should like an advert ) and there much cheaper

Martyn
What is OEM,  http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showprodu … =SW-041-MS

If I buy this one will it work on my PC, though my windows XP Home came with the PC I bought from DELL last year. And finally whats the difference between 32 and 64 bit

THANX
kilgoretrout
+53|6622|Little Rock, AR

rabee2789b wrote:

Bell wrote:

I just looked on a site (not amazon) and found prices much closer to the mark.  All be it the UK is still paying more than our American friends but nothing like the prices in the original post.  Check out www.overclockers.co.uk (yeesh I should like an advert ) and there much cheaper

Martyn
What is OEM,  http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showprodu … =SW-041-MS

If I buy this one will it work on my PC, though my windows XP Home came with the PC I bought from DELL last year. And finally whats the difference between 32 and 64 bit

THANX
If you have a 64 bit processor, you need the 64 bit operating system.  as far as will it work or not, microsoft.com probably has an easy way to test your hardware to see if you're vista ready.
r'Eeee
+311|6600

thanx kilgoretrout  +1 4 the help
Mad Ad
+178|6663|England, UK

kilgoretrout wrote:

If you have a 64 bit processor, you need the 64 bit operating system.  as far as will it work or not, microsoft.com probably has an easy way to test your hardware to see if you're vista ready.
Im sorry thats rubbish - having an application that uses over ~3Gb is about the only reason to switch to x64 right now.

The drivers are not mature, the platform is not in general use and if you intend to play games and have any pieces of older hardware then I would wait till you take the x64 step.

There will be a time coming where it makes sense to switch to the 64 bit path....just thats not yet for the average pc user.
Scorpion0x17
can detect anyone's visible post count...
+691|6918|Cambridge (UK)
As I've said elsewhere, probably the best plan at this point is to get 64bit Vista if you've got a 64bit system. But! Don't take XP off your current system - install Vista onto a second HDD/partition, then, as 64bit drivers, apps and games get released, you can gradually migrate over...

If you've only got a 32bit system, I would stick with XP - upgrade to Vista when you upgrade to 64bit.

OEM stands for Original Equipment Manufacturer. It's the version that gets shipped with new PCs - all you will get is a disk, maybe a flimsy pamphlet, but nothing else - no shiny box - but, otherwise, is exactly the same as the full, boxed, retail version. Retailers should only sell OEM software with hardware, but many will sell it by itself.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6733|SE London

Mad Ad wrote:

kilgoretrout wrote:

Im sorry thats rubbish - having an application that uses over ~3Gb is about the only reason to switch to x64 right now.

The drivers are not mature, the platform is not in general use and if you intend to play games and have any pieces of older hardware then I would wait till you take the x64 step.

There will be a time coming where it makes sense to switch to the 64 bit path....just thats not yet for the average pc user.
I don't agree. Newer applications and games take advantage of the additional 64-bit instructions on x86_64 chips, I am sure Crysis will for example (Farcry does already and has done since XP x64 was released). The only reason not to go for the 64-bit edition is drivers, which will be released in due course. It's not even like they're proper 64-bit CPUs anyway, it's still all just IA-32 instructions.
Scorpion0x17
+691|6918|Cambridge (UK)

Bertster7 wrote:

Mad Ad wrote:

kilgoretrout wrote:

I don't agree. Newer applications and games take advantage of the additional 64-bit instructions on x86_64 chips, I am sure Crysis will for example (Farcry does already and has done since XP x64 was released). The only reason not to go for the 64-bit edition is drivers, which will be released in due course. It's not even like they're proper 64-bit CPUs anyway, it's still all just IA-32 instructions.
So, newer apps will take advantage of "the additional 64-bit instructions", but "it's still all just IA-32 instructions" - make your mind up!
Mad Ad
+178|6663|England, UK
but also 32bit applications benefitted from the extended register design of 64 bit, the difference today is very little...not worth the hassle imo.  When crysis comes out? thats a long time yet - and driver support is growing, its getting better - change soon? maybe, just not now.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6733|SE London

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

Mad Ad wrote:

So, newer apps will take advantage of "the additional 64-bit instructions", but "it's still all just IA-32 instructions" - make your mind up!
IA-32 instructions with a few extra 64-bit instructions and cleaner operation in 64-bit mode. IA-32e. It's good stuff.
younggun
+28|6796
Are you kidding? Everybody is getting ripped off by Vista....
Scorpion0x17
+691|6918|Cambridge (UK)
Everyone always gets ripped off by Microsoft. That's what they do. C'est la vie...
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6868
Don't buy vista till about a year later. Driver support fails. I ran it and it sucks.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
r'Eeee
+311|6600

How would I know if my processor supports the 64 bits ?
Scorpion0x17
+691|6918|Cambridge (UK)
What type (make/model) of processor is it?
r'Eeee
+311|6600

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

Intel P4(3 GHz) with HT  531

Package LGA755 ?
Scorpion0x17
+691|6918|Cambridge (UK)

rabee2789b wrote:

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

Intel P4(3 GHz) with HT  531

Package LGA755 ?
If I read this correctly, yes it does have 64bit extensions.
r'Eeee
+311|6600

thanx 4 the help

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard