thomcat211
+1|6465
Hey guys, new to these forums.  Usually peruse the totalbf2 forums.  anyway, on to my question.

what are you all's opinion on admins that abuse their powers?  I know, I know.  They pay for the service that helps support the server that you enjoy, and that is great.  However, lets just say it a ranked server, and abusing admin power for their own gain is an offense to ea regulations, roe, w/e.  Do you think peoiple should just f off and leave them be because it's their server and they are paying, despite the fact that its ranked and gives them an advantage over other players in terms of stats(i know stats arent that big of a deal but who wants to play against people who have an advantage over you right?, and yea there are some people who do take stats seriously enough to find this quite annoying if not slightly maddening)? 

Just an example of a possible, hypotetical, situation of an admin abusing his  powers over the server:

He and a friend of his are having a blast using a helicopter on a map, lets just say for example dragon valley.   An annoying little pest comes along and gets in the chopper, in the gunner seat, while the admin is in the pilot seat.  He repeatedly asks him to get out, like two or three times.  The guy obviously refuses b/c despite his annoyance caused, he wants to have fun too.  So the admin kicks him out, stating he has a high ping.  This is obviously complete bs.

I promise i have never been the guy in the gunner seat who got kicked.

I just want more opinions on this topic, and i guess some good discussion.  I want to further my obvservations on this.  Thanks.  Please post with your thoughts :-|)
DoctorFruitloop
Level 13 Wrongdoer
+515|6686|Doncaster, UK
What constitutes being "an annoying little pest"?
Varegg
Support fanatic :-)
+2,206|6950|NÃ¥rvei

Poor admins can be found everywhere, easiest solution is to leave them be to admin themselves eventually, find some good servers with decent admins and spend your time there !
Wait behind the line ..............................................................
thomcat211
+1|6465
well by annoying pest i mean in the view of the admin.

but what if that server is fantastic and one of the favorite servers of the person kicked and/or other players who find this disgusting.
JeSTeR_Player1
Flying Solo
+98|6910|Canada, Ont
Haha, I remember back in the day I would do that. I would tell them to get out...if they refused I would give them a go, and see if they would actually shoot TV Missles at the Targets I provided but more then 50% of the time the player is a beginner to 2nd Seat Chopper and after being destroyed and he spawns for the chopper for round two and he gets in, I would kick him from the Server.

Fair? ...not for a public server, but hes preventing me from having fun... least I gave them a chance.
thomcat211
+1|6465
yea i'd say that is a lot more respectable, but still not ok    

i think (T)eflon (S)hadow puts it VERY VERY VERY well.....lol.....:

and i quote, "I play this game online, it's called Battlefield 2.  I payed like$50 USD, and so did 1,500,000+ other people.  I own my computer and pay all the necessary bills to play this game, too.  All that is mine is my character's name, the PC and the CD in the Drive.  It's not your helicopter, even if it is frustrating when you have good team work going for you and a good co-pilot.

D E A L W I T H I T...... We all have to deal with you!"

does that seem like a reasonable observation to you all?
DoctorFruitloop
Level 13 Wrongdoer
+515|6686|Doncaster, UK
If the only thing which makes this guy an "annoying little pest" is that he got in the chopper then I think the admin is a total prick.

If he can't gun or TV missile then by all means explain to him that he is wasting a valuable asset of the team and that you need him to get out so that you teammate can get in and make a valid contribution to the game.

If you're jsut pissed cos you're buddy can't get in with you and get the points that the "annoying little pest" is getting then tough. You'd be wrong to kick him.
thomcat211
+1|6465
i agree. any opinions favoring the admins actions???
artofsurvival
Idiot!
+33|6497|the Great British Queendom :)
I would find it kinda rude to get kicked from a heli thats stat padding! As I am shit at flying heli's I need to learn and everytime I jump into 1 I always apologise for my poor quality, most peeps are o.k with this, but if asked I will always leave of my own accord.
thomcat211
+1|6465
you know that is an excellent point.  Wouldn't this form of admin abuse be considered stat padding?  It gives the admin an advantage over others ona  ranked server, improving his stats.  Though it might not be exactly what ea would consider stat padding, it seems like it should be.  It would be even more hillarious if server rules specifically said that stat padding is an offense that will result in an immidiate ban, and the admin is doing it.
Adams_BJ
Russian warship, go fuck yourself
+2,053|6763|Little Bentcock
Play Another Server.
Drunk_Musketeer
To be honest I don't care anyway..
+57|6878|Great Wall
Skilled admins -> no rules
Noob whining lame fuck admins -> lots of rules to keep them safe
thomcat211
+1|6465
im not exactly sure what you are trying to say, but basically your saying the admin didn't do anything wrong here, because he kicked "noobs"?  Sometime people can break ea's rules?

I hope you don't see this as a post about whining.  Im actually trying to discuss something here.  Me offering a chance for people to discuss an opinion and for my to discuss mine isn't exactly whining.  If it is, then whining isn't such a bad thing IMHO.  Though i think whining is a little bitch complaining about something and not giving a shit what anyone else thinks. 

You may or may not, but i'd be interested for you to explainw hyat you're trying to say in more detail, not like a half page, but at least in somewhat complete sentences?thx

o, and do you think rules are here to keep noobs safe?  that interesting.  explain that further if you could please.

i hope i didn't completely misread that post.  It is early.
MastersMom
YOUR mom goes to college
+61|6795
What I look for in a server above all else is that rules are either followed, or enforced equally across the board.  If that means that there is no rule enforcement what-so-ever, than so be it as long as it's fair to everyone.  While I look for fair treatment, I prefer a server where admins are active and participating in the enforcement of their rules for that server.

There's really not a whole lot (imo) that will make a server good or bad, other than the actions of the admin.  If I'm on a server where the admin will kick for vehicles or other unfounded reasons, than why would I waste my time on that server waiting to get kicked for no reason?  Pass thanks...on to another server for me.
wooly-back-jack
Jihaaaaaad!!!
+84|6880|England
me and a friend got in the su-34 once, we was lucky to get to it.
however my friend aint the best pilot (im crap but just getting the hang of it compared to him) and if we end up in the wrong seats he gets out and tells me to jump into position 1.
He got out, someone else got in and starts yelling at me to get out with his buddy bunnyhopping infront of the plane.
I say no, he wont budge...another plane locks onto us and kills us whilst sat in the hangar.
next round he gets the SU first so I stick a load of C4 to its arse-end and let him take off then blow him out of the sky
Dont tell ANYONE to "get out" unless you are capping a flag of course, it's insulting and rude, no matter how leet you think you are.
thomcat211
+1|6465
what if you had been playing there for a while and didn't see this happening till a while after you started playing, and you had sort of become a regular, or semi-regular, or evena  regular hopeful, of the server.  And the server was fantastic and the other regulars were good players, etc....  Basically you really cared that this server remain as good as you thought it was.

What course of action would you all take if you saw something like this happen, or it happened to you?  To those who have said go to another server, don't worry about repeating urself, unless you might me motivated differently by what i said above. Btw lets just say there are other admins for the server and all the admins have xfire and are somehwat active in the bf2 community, etc...  Basically there are other way of communication besides just in the server chat.

I obviously would report to broe first, and of course SS help, but you can't always get them.  But what else could a person do, if he or she really wanted to do something about it instead of be a push-over and move on to a different server.
thomcat211
+1|6465
yea wooly thats a good example of just asshat players taking advantage of the tk system.  Hopefully ad admin is there to take care of the jerk, but obviously that is usually not the case.  What usually is the case is the tk'ers suck even more and die within a minute, if they even get a kill.
wooly-back-jack
Jihaaaaaad!!!
+84|6880|England
name and shame them on whatever community they are part of.
The only way is to get people of 'their' community to agree with you that they were out of order.
Take evidence of abuse like this and say they are out of order, they are ruining the server and if it carry's on you will report them.
Mong0ose
Will it blend?
+24|6626|UK

Drunk_Musketeer wrote:

That is the most idiotic thing i have read in a while

Administrating a server means applying & enforcing the server rules, if there are no rules there is no need for an admin
MastersMom
YOUR mom goes to college
+61|6795

artofsurvival wrote:

I would find it kinda rude to get kicked from a heli thats stat padding! As I am shit at flying heli's I need to learn and everytime I jump into 1 I always apologise for my poor quality, most peeps are o.k with this, but if asked I will always leave of my own accord.
If you are shit at flying, than don't fly on populated ranked servers.  This is the reason why so many people won't give "n00bs" a chance in a chopper because they have been on the dying end of the deal when hopping in a chopper with someone they don't know or trust.  So now people TK more than they used to, or admins kick when someone takes "their" chopper.  I think tking and kicking for vehicles is total bull shit.  But I also think if you want to get in a chopper in a real round where you will impact someone else's game, you should know what you're doing.

Do yourself and your teammates a favor, go on an empty server or on single player mode and practice flying a chopper before you ruin someone else's game.
tino275
+14|6752
Their advantage of being admin is that they alwayse have a spot open.  NOT that they can KICK anyone who is doing better then they are.  I was on a server Last week. and I was Having a REALLY good game, every one gets those every once in a while. I had double the next top score. NO i dont Cheat. Anyway I got BANNED from the server for excessive Team Killing. I may have had one TK. I was following server rules and I was not spamming or anything liket that. I think I was defending the church at Cerebre Landing. Thats a bunch of BS that they ban someone just because they have a good game.  I wish I rembered the server name but Don't. 

Anyways they SUCK and anyone who bans anyone doing better than they SUCKS TOO.
MastersMom
YOUR mom goes to college
+61|6795

thomcat211 wrote:

what if you had been playing there for a while...and became even a regular hopeful of the server...and the other regulars were good players, etc....you really cared that this server remain as good as you thought it was.
OK, so basically you found a dark side to your perfect server and you're trying to figure out how to justify playing there and/or how to change it.  If you have this communication with the other admins through xfire or whatever, get them involved.  There should be some records of who kicks who and what they're kicked for.  Maybe they can find some patterns with the same admin always kicking for "High Ping."  If you can't contact them through xfire, try going on thier website.

Otherwise, ignore it and just keep playing.  Sounds to me like the server is more important to you than the rules so just let it go and enjoy your game.
DoctorFruitloop
Level 13 Wrongdoer
+515|6686|Doncaster, UK
"EXCESSIVE TEAMKILLING" is the default ban on BF2142 I think. You get kicked for it for being AFK.

When I'm adminning the server the only people I've ever banned were for the titan drop glitch padding and once that had been patched I unbanned them all.

If I need to make room for admin I'll kick someone with a stupidly high ping, and if there isn't one, the person with the lowest score.
TheBelcorwyn
The Man With the Golden AK
+21|6781|Gainesville, FL

Mong0ose wrote:

Drunk_Musketeer wrote:

That is the most idiotic thing i have read in a while

Administrating a server means applying & enforcing the server rules, if there are no rules there is no need for an admin
Actually, it's so true I'm contemplating putting it in my sig.  Admins need to be there to expell rampant TKers, idlers, high pingers (unless it's scripted in), change the maps when requested, etc.

I see all these sensless and idiot servers with their "no bunny hopping," "no raping uncaps," "no stealing enemy vehicles," "no cartillery" and similar rules that really just decrease my respect for the administration.  Dunk_Musketeer is right; these inane safeguards are emplaced to compensate for admins' lack of skill by preventing players who actually play tactically and intelligently from pwning the shit out of them.

Belcorwyn

Last edited by TheBelcorwyn (2007-01-02 07:25:00)

thomcat211
+1|6465
Drunk_Musketeer, i just reread ur post and i understand what you said now.  I COMPLETELY misinterpreted it and i'm sorry.  And in many ways i agree, but the only thing i have to say really is that there are not always admins on to regulate the server, and some common sense rules and admin preferances being stated make it easier to communicate with the players to tell them that these things are not ok, instead of having to spell everything out all the time themselves. 

But there are a lot of retarded rules.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard