[RDH]Warlord
Quakecon Attendee
+17|6672|SLC, Utah, USA
In props to ATG, I wanted to start up another topic similar to the "plane on a treadmill" one.  This one is a lot simpler, hopefully, and we may get to the bottom of it:

You have a hill (let's say 45 degree angle) with a long and powerful treadmill.  Place the ball on the treadmill, and start the treadmill.  If the treadmill runs as fast as it needs to to keep the ball on the treadmill, would the ball ever roll off?  Would it ever reach a maximum RPM?
[RDH]Warlord
Quakecon Attendee
+17|6672|SLC, Utah, USA
Think about this for a minute, before replying quickly.  The ball would spin faster, since it's on a hill.  It'd never reach terminal velocity because it's not being affected by air resistance (being in place, at least primarily), so it would keep spinning faster and faster, and the treadmill would go faster and faster.
Mr.Casual
p-n*|3eergogglz
+136|6522|Minnesota eh
It would fall off eventually cause speed will keep picking up.
Dressed In Decay
+14|6550
If the treadmill kept increasing speed with the ball then the ball would stay in the same exact spot.
Reciprocity
+721|6594|the dank(super) side of Oregon
assuming there is a friction coefficient between the ball and the treadmill, there are no external factors; i.e. wind, or varying gravity, and the treadmill can match the balls speed up until a terminal velocity, it should stay in place.

'terminal velocity' is not just a reference to freefall.
viper313
One Shot, One Kill
+53|6655|Minnesota
Oh no....  Not again.
JOJOBA
my penis itches
+18|6546|Columbus, OH
the treadmill motor would fry if it went that fast for that long.
gene_pool
Banned
+519|6634|Gold coast, Aus.
Imo, the ball would pick up speed, and bump around a bit and fall down the treadmill.
Kamikaze17
Over the line!
+70|6762|Mark it zero.
the 45 degree angle might be a bit too much. it would probably have to be at less of an angle.
Locoloki
I got Mug 222 at Gritty's!!!!
+216|6653|Your moms bedroom
depends on the diameter of the ball
Ender2309
has joined the GOP
+470|6584|USA
it would immediately roll off.

because its on a hill, and the treadmill is rolling uphill, while the ball is rolling downhill, it falls off.

think about it.

the ball is going to spin front to top to back, if that makes sense.

the treadmill is moving uphill, which aides the roll, as it pushes the bottom foreward, and thus, the direction of spin. gravity pulls it down the hill, the treadmill makes it speed up, and it shoots down like a rocket.
Locoloki
its not aiding its spin, its helping drag it up to the next rotation of the ball, your groceries dont spin off the checkout at the supermarket everytime the conveyer moves
[RDH]Warlord
Quakecon Attendee
+17|6672|SLC, Utah, USA
The treadmill is not moving uphill itself, just the treadmill belt moving up.

Now, in this question, the treadmill is perfectly capable of running at whatever speed it can for however long it needs to.  Let's assume the belt is so smooth and the ball is so smooth that there is no way it would start bouncing.

Terminal velocity, btw, only applies to an object falling.  In a vacuum, an object would never achieve terminal velocity, since there is no air friction to slow it down.  Similarly here, the ball never really moves (if the treadmill is doing it's job), so no air is pushing it to prevent it from speeding up.

Wouldn't this situation (of which lots of physics questions use situations like mine, so don't knock it) have no end?  The belt could constantly speed up, to keep the ball in place.  So, effectivly, we've created a situation where we can go any speed (in theory, faster than light?) with no air resistance...

This situation facinates me, as much as the idea of a perpetual motion machine...

Last edited by [RDH]Warlord (2006-12-30 22:57:16)

Locoloki
negative, the ball has a force of 9.82m/sec^2 pushing down on it, so technically it is falling, it will no longer accelerate downwards when it hits terminal velocity on the planet earth

i think it would be able to hold the constantly falling ball. The diameter of the ball times the speed of rotation(which is imparted by gravity), or the distance the ball "falls" on the treadmill in one spin, if the treadmill can move the ball back to the starting height of the spin, before it starts to spin again

Last edited by Locoloki (2006-12-30 23:24:46)

[RDH]Warlord
Quakecon Attendee
+17|6672|SLC, Utah, USA
Again, Terminal Velocity only applies to objects falling.  The only reason things achieve that (and the TV is different for different shaped/sized objects) is because of the air resistance.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terminal_velocity
CTD-CaptainBuck
BLEEDING BLUE
+71|6781|Tenn
depends on the ball actually. sumthing with relative size and mass of a ping pong ball, would not be able to handle all the forces and would bounce off the treadmill. now sumthing like a golf ball, will not be as succeptible(sp?) to bouncing, however it will eventually bounce and/or roll straight off because it will exceed its maximum cfm.
stkhoplite
Banned
+564|6492|Sheffield-England
what if the treadmill shuts off by accident?
Storgie
how about this thread for whiners
+15|6588|federal way washington
i think the ball would fall off, no way the treadmill could keep up plus the ball would not roll in a single straight line down but find the line of least resistance and find a wall off the treadmill, most like off a side.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6614|132 and Bush

The answer is in the make up of the ball. Material, weight, etc.. There are way too many factors left out of this equation.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
FFLink
There is.
+1,380|6704|Devon, England

Ender2309 wrote:

it would immediately roll off.

because its on a hill, and the treadmill is rolling uphill, while the ball is rolling downhill, it falls off.

think about it.

the ball is going to spin front to top to back, if that makes sense.

the treadmill is moving uphill, which aides the roll, as it pushes the bottom foreward, and thus, the direction of spin. gravity pulls it down the hill, the treadmill makes it speed up, and it shoots down like a rocket.
Makes perfect sense. I think this is your answer.
224th R0ck3tpack
Hostile pansy spotted!
+8|6442|NH
Treadmills are textured, and it would hit a texture spot eventually, and the faster it's going the more likely it is to hit that texture patch like a jump.

Last edited by 224th R0ck3tpack (2006-12-31 12:17:12)

spray_and_pray
+52|6504|Perth. Western Australia
We can try this out but the texture of the ball also counts like a shiny soccer ball or a bumpy basketball.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard