GotMex?
$623,493,674,868,715.98 in Debt
+193|6764

I got a box set dvd this Christmas of the show "The West Wing" and I wanted to put the episodes on my PSP. I got a program called ImToo DVD Ripper and have been using that for this purpose. I'm finding that the ripping is very slow though. It is doing it practically in real-time, which is worthless considering there are about 120 hours of video to rip.

Also, I don't like having the rips in the tiny PSP format so I just rip to a Divx file first with good quality (about 1Gb for 1:30 hrs of video) and then I convert that file to the PSP size. This however, adds another transcoding process which is also taking a long ass time on my computer. Not as bad as the ripping, but still about an hour for 1:30 of video.

So my question is, what are good, average and bad speeds for DVD ripping and video Encoding. Say what speeds should I be getting ripping a 1 hr long DVD to Divx, and then transcoding that same video to h.264.

I am using my laptop right now with a basic 2Ghz Pentium M processor so I know that this has a huge performance impact, but what kind of times would I be looking at with say, a 2.66ghz Intel Core 2 duo.
Sgt_Sieg
"Bow Chicka Bow Wow." The correct way.
+89|6776
I would recommend PSP Video Express, works very fast for me.

Then again it's probably relative to the speed of your computer, but ^^^ that program works the best in my opinion.
ReTox
+100|6500|State of RETOXification
Although I've never encoded for a PSP, I do encode almost all my DVD's to CD for when I travel.

I use Doom9 as the resource for that.  As a bonus, all the tools I use for it are totally free.

Edit:

As for speeds, I can rip at 10x and I encode at around 50 fps for x264 and around 70 fps for Xvid.  I can take a 2 hour movie and make it fit on a CD in less than 3 hours.

Last edited by ReTox (2006-12-26 17:13:23)

ShotYourSix
Boldly going nowhere...
+196|6720|Las Vegas
For all your encoding and ripping needs you should check out www.afterdawn.com

They have download links for many tools, tons of guides and a great forum.  Check it out, you won't be disappointed...
UNDIESRULES
+4|6682
I use DVD Decrypter to rip the DVD and PSPVidoe 9 to recode them, both work well and it takes less then  45 minutes for the whole process.
Executiator
+69|6422

ReTox wrote:

Although I've never encoded for a PSP, I do encode almost all my DVD's to CD for when I travel.

I use Doom9 as the resource for that.  As a bonus, all the tools I use for it are totally free.

Edit:

As for speeds, I can rip at 10x and I encode at around 50 fps for x264 and around 70 fps for Xvid.  I can take a 2 hour movie and make it fit on a CD in less than 3 hours.
I don't think anythign with doom9 in the name is going to be opened by anyone smart on this forum
Cookie.VXT
Bringer Of Cookies.
+178|6436|UK
MagicBit DVD Ripper Deluxe is quite fast

only used it once or twice though
ReTox

Executiator wrote:

ReTox wrote:

Edit:

I don't think anythign with doom9 in the name is going to be opened by anyone smart on this forum
If they were smart they would google it and find it IS THE DVD backup site par excellence!

Heres a screeny:

https://www.lostmarblessoftware.com/pics/doom9.jpg
Ryan
+1,230|6844|Alberta, Canada

ReTox wrote:

Edit:

Yeah, get Doom9 while you can. It's going to become illegal soon.
ReTox

ryan_14 wrote:

ReTox wrote:

Edit:

Yeah, get Doom9 while you can. It's going to become illegal soon.
The MPAA has been trying to shut Doom9 down for a long time.  I never say never but....

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard