CommieChipmunk
+488|6583|Portland, OR, USA

ATG wrote:

But the thrust of the jet would overpower the treadmill alowing forward movement.
You said at the beginning that the treadmill could calculate the speed of the jet/airplane/whatever, so it would just go as fast as the jet would be moving to equalize the forces.  Planes have to be going x mph to take off (speed weight ratio)... it all has to do with lift, there will be no airflow going over or under the wings....

Have any of you ever run on a treadmill??  You don't feel any wind do you? No! because you are not moving forward...
Coolbeano
Level 13.5 BF2S Ninja Penguin Sensei
+378|6776

https://img4.picsplace.to/img4/27/PLAEN.GIF
djphetal
Go Ducks.
+346|6349|Oregon

CommieChipmunk wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

If it were a jet engine yes. For those who don't understand how a jet engine works, thrust is generated when the turbines suck cool air in. The cool air is super heated which causes it to expand which in turn generates thrust or propulsion. I would guess that even if the wheels were spinning there would be enough thrust eventually generated to create lift.
no no no no, if I'm not mistaken the thread said that the treadmill would be traveling at the same speed in the opposite direction so no matter how "fast" the plane would be moving on flat ground, it is not moving at anywhere because the forces going forward are the same as the forces going back...

It does not fly, it just stays in the same place...
Yes, you are right.

Last edited by djphetal (2006-12-27 22:43:51)

Locoloki
I got Mug 222 at Gritty's!!!!
+216|6653|Your moms bedroom
its amazing how many people dont realize how an airplane works
-=raska=-
Canada's French Frog
+123|6639|Quebec city, Canada
If the engines push the plane at 500 mph, the treadmill will push it in the opposite direction at 500 mph, ok thats true but that would not overcome the plane's speed, because the wheels would only be rotating at 1000mph and the friction between them and the axles being negligeable compared to the engines forces.

At the end, the plane would be going forward at 490 mph because of the friction, and would still be able to take off.

(arbitrary speeds)
Locoloki

-=raska=- wrote:

If the engines push the plane at 500 mph, the treadmill will push it in the opposite direction at 500 mph, ok thats true but that would not overcome the plane's speed, because the wheels would only be rotating at 1000mph and the friction between them and the axles being negligeable compared to the engines forces.

At the end, the plane would be going forward at 490 mph because of the friction, and would still be able to take off.

(arbitrary speeds)
your joking right?
-=raska=-
Canada's French Frog
Im maybe joking about the speed needed for a plane to take off lol because Ive no idea what it is

But im not joking about the principle

edit : and about the wheels rotating at 1000 mph, I know it has no sense, but I meant that they would rotate at twice the speed (plane + treadmill). I know we cant calculate their speed in terms of mph...

Last edited by -=raska=- (2006-12-27 22:52:54)

Locoloki
If i set my treadmill speed at ten, and i run at ten, im still in the same spot 1/2 an hour later
djphetal
Go Ducks.
+346|6349|Oregon
basically, the plane has to go forward to take off.

thats about it. it can't lift off while stationary.
DonFck
Hibernator
+3,227|6645|Finland

AMAZING THEORY!

Now that we're on page 9 of this conversation, which could have been just less than a page, I suggest we place a hamster-driven windgenerator in front of the plane. And replace the treadmill with a superconductive surface to minimize friction. No, let's skip the treadmill/superconductor altogether. Skip the hamster also, No, put the hamster in the pilots seat.

Let's have a cat with a buttered sandwich taped to it's back to power the wind-generator. Murphy's law (the bread falls on the floor buttered side down) and the laws of nature (cat's land on their feet) will result to perpetual motion, aka a cat rotating in mid-air (naturally, I'm sure you've heard this example before, because it's ooold). Now, insert a 5ft pole in the cats rectum. This will function as the driveshaft for the windmachine.

Now the plane can take off without thrust, landspeed or treadmill. We are now travelling without moving. Perpetual motion will keep the plane in the air, as long as the hamster's doing his job piloting it, and the pole stays inserted in the anal cavity of the lolcat.

[drinks bongwater]

Last edited by DonFck (2006-12-29 00:33:41)

I need around tree fiddy.
-=raska=-
Canada's French Frog

Locoloki wrote:

If i set my treadmill speed at ten, and i run at ten, im still in the same spot 1/2 an hour later
Yes because your legs make you go forward, but in the case here, its a plane, and its got engines that are independant to the treadmill.

The treadmill would transmitt its speed to the wheels, but it will not change the plane's speed, because the wheels would only be rotating around their axles.

Last edited by -=raska=- (2006-12-27 22:57:02)

CommieChipmunk
The plane does not move -- there is no lift.

However, if you had a HUGE engine on this plane and it created enough 'wind' to create the lift needed to make the plane fly then it would work.. but that, in essence, would be a helicopter.

so no it wouldn't work
Locoloki
think of sticking your hand out your car window when traveling fast, feel the air travel over your hand, and then stick your hand out when the car is not moving but its wheels are on rollers and your traveling the same speed, this is why your plane would not fly
-=raska=-
Canada's French Frog
if you push a toy car that is on a treadmill, do you think you would be able to move it forward, even if the treadmill push it in the opposite direction ?

Yes, the treadmill may go in uberhigh speed, this will only affect the rotation of the toy car's wheels, and you will be able to move it forward.

Now replace your hand by jet engines...
-=raska=-
Canada's French Frog

Locoloki wrote:

think of sticking your hand out your car window when traveling fast, feel the air travel over your hand, and then stick your hand out when the car is not moving but its wheels are on rollers and your traveling the same speed, this is why your plane would not fly
I know this, but my point is that the plane would move, because of his engines.
Locoloki
i officialy give up, im glad im not a physics teacher
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6614|132 and Bush

CommieChipmunk wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

If it were a jet engine yes. For those who don't understand how a jet engine works, thrust is generated when the turbines suck cool air in. The cool air is super heated which causes it to expand which in turn generates thrust or propulsion. I would guess that even if the wheels were spinning there would be enough thrust eventually generated to create lift.
no no no no, if I'm not mistaken the thread said that the treadmill would be traveling at the same speed in the opposite direction so no matter how "fast" the plane would be moving on flat ground, it is not moving at anywhere because the forces going forward are the same as the forces going back...

Air is sucked in the front heated and pushed out the back, no wheels needed. It's a matter of aiming the engines..lol Case in point is the Harrier http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harrier_jet
It is the "suction" that moves it.

Last edited by Kmarion (2006-12-27 23:08:16)

Xbone Stormsurgezz
CommieChipmunk

-=raska=- wrote:

if you push a toy car that is on a treadmill, do you think you would be able to move it forward, even if the treadmill push it in the opposite direction ?

Yes, the treadmill may go in uberhigh speed, this will only affect the rotation of the toy car's wheels, and you will be able to move it forward.

Now replace your hand by jet engines...
Good point, but the question points out a flaw in your answer.  The airplane can never move forward because the speed of its wheels is always being matched by that of the treadmill going in the opposite direction.
CommieChipmunk

Kmarion wrote:

CommieChipmunk wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

Air is sucked in the front heated and pushed out the back, no wheels needed. It's a matter of aiming the engines..lol Case in point is the Harrier http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harrier_jet
thats cheating, we're talking about airplanes, not harriers....
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6614|132 and Bush

CommieChipmunk wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

CommieChipmunk wrote:

lol.. hey its a fixed wing aircraft. It's not cheating, just being innovative with your answer .
Xbone Stormsurgezz
chaosdragon001
Whee
+53|6522|Los Angeles, California

Kmarion wrote:

CommieChipmunk wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

lol.. hey its a fixed wing aircraft. It's not cheating, just being innovative with your answer .
Psh you could say that with an F35 and have the same answer.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6614|132 and Bush

chaosdragon001 wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

CommieChipmunk wrote:

Psh you could say that with an F35 and have the same answer.
You sure could just make sure you use the "F-35B" for specifics.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
burton
+9|6433|Da Bay, California
likin how this question comes up and all of a sudden everyone is a physics teacher.

but seriously...it wont take off its like jogging in place, you can jog as fast as you want but do u feel any wind on your face? that is as long as its not windy outside.
chaosdragon001
Whee
+53|6522|Los Angeles, California
Yea true, the others aren't VTOL.
ohnoitsmattoo
+0|6344

Krauser98 wrote:

Yes!  Yes it would!  You're all wrong!!!  The treadmill would have no effect on the plane because it is being pushed / pulled by a jet / propeller! It's not a car!  The wheels are not what makes it go, thus the plane would go right off the end of the treadmill with little to no difference.  (Until the wings hit the handlebars on the treadmill that is.)  As normal, the air would be flowing under the wings, because the plane would be moving forward.  If the plane were powered by it's wheels it would only be able to fly short distances and would be more of a jumping car than an airplane.  My answer is a solid Yes, the plane would still take off!
Correct! That makes perfect sense. The rockets/proppellers would pull the plane into motion, and its wheels would roll freely because they have nothing to do with forward momentum except to support the plane so it doesnt just sink into the ground!

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard