priznat
+0|6865
Hey all,

While I'm not usually an assault player, I find whenever I do use assault the M203/GP-30 grenade launcher is ridiculously powerful. I feel guilty running around racking up bigtime kills because it feels kind of cheap.

Anyone feel that way or just go for it, what the hell? The temptation to just run around and spam grenades (especially on karkand) is *really* high

Any good counters to the grenade launchers? Can't really think of any because once you get good at aiming that sucker, holy crap.
mikeshw
Radioactive Glo
+130|6856|A Small Isle in the Tropics

i used the grenade launcher at strike at karkand..mixed results.. i had to estimate the trajectory while trying to avoid getting shot.. but yes, if a group of MECs advances, and you stake out a spot on the high ground, results are going to be impressive (assuming you don't get sniped)..
Rakasan
+7|6855|California, USA
All I know is that an M203 round shouldn't activate until 15-40 meters in flight in real life.
priznat
+0|6865

Rakasan wrote:

All I know is that an M203 round shouldn't activate until 15-40 meters in flight in real life.
That would make a lot of sense and improve things, especially the "blast person in the face when you come around the corner" move

Of course, even the inactive grenade would do some damage if you fired it into someone point blank..
kilroy0097
Kilroy Is Here!
+81|6862|Bryan/College Station, TX
I don't know about the Gernade Launcher. Sometimes it kills with one shot and sometimes it doesn't. Often it seems like it hit in the same location. When I get a direct hit right at their feet or on them it seems to kill them. But deviate from that by only a foot or so and it doesn't unless they are already hurt. So I am uncertain of the usefulness of the gernade launcher at times. Its good and its bad. Maybe luck has something to do with it.
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis
mikeshw
Radioactive Glo

exactly.. which was why i had mixed results

i have seen it take out one MEC but the one next to him was still firing away at me after it exploded on his pal.. kinda odd i thought
mikeshw
Radioactive Glo

check this out:

http://www.armystudyguide.com/m203/studyguide.htm

it says the 203 has a 150m maximum effective range on a target. wonder if the boys in EA got this figured out.
kilroy0097
Kilroy Is Here!
What is the casualty radius of a M203 40 mm round?
5 meters
So Radius. From the point of explosion contact as center and then go out 5 meters and draw a circle.
Does that effective radius seem a bit larger than you see in the game? It should cuz it is.
Oh well..

Last edited by kilroy0097 (2005-08-15 01:06:45)

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis
=[4th]=SlayThem
Destroy Noob Cannons
+96|6851
Noob weapon.I really don't understand how people kill in one shot with it. I've used it many times and it exploaded right on them or right next to them and they still kill me. it's complete BS. I'd rather have myself a grenade to chuck.
mort4u
Artillery catcher
+5|6856|Munich, Germany
i used the 203 a long time in AA and there its a really explosive but also has the arming distance of about 25m. but u are able to kill several enemys in a location.

im actually a bit confused when i use it in BF2 cause theres no splash damag and its mainly used as a short distance weapon and thats the lame part. its like handing a grenade to the enemy in front of me and not getting killed and i have the same prob cause i hit next to the guy and before my next shell isn in the tube im down. so ill stick to my G3 and grenades cause he cant dodge my bulles as easily as the 203.

and im all for adding an arming time/distance cause it wouldnt help to increase splash damage since then we will see a lot of 203íng especially on maps like kirkland or mashtuur.
voltage
+46|6858|Sweden
I bring out the M203 when everything goes wrong and I need som kills ASAP to save the night (ok, ok maybe a little more often than that). I'd like if it got nerfed though, by setting a minimum range or perhaps making it so that the grenade doesn't explode on contact. That would make give the G3 unlock a complementary value. I think G3 is a better close quarter weapon than the M16, but that doesn't matter because ppl just use the M203.
mikeshw
Radioactive Glo

I tried the 203 against MEC last night (5 of them advancing towards me)..and it didnt even take them down cos i saw the round landing close to them. crap.. so, i think there is really something weird about it. guess that's why AA is used for recruitment and BF2 for gamers?
kilroy0097
Kilroy Is Here!
About the only good thing about the M203 is using it against vehicles or people on the MG mounts on vehicles. And only the FAV or sometimes a hurt HUMVEE/Van.  That is my primary usage of the grenade launcher. Well that and to scare people out of little hiding places. They always seem to run when a grenades lands next to them.
OnBoyce
+3|6844|Montreal, QC
Yep... I agree with the fact that I think its pretty cheap to always use the grenade launcher. Some players have mastered it, and they can kill you from the other end of a street with it. I think there is nothing more frustrating then running in front of a player multiple times, and each time, easily disposes of you with the GLauncher. Saw one tonight camping at a spawn point with his GLancher. Get a life dude.
priznat
+0|6865
I had one hit last night on Dragon valley, I was up at the top of that little island thing and fired a grenade at a boat that was coming over the water.. One hit kill! I was mightily amazed.. Guess I am getting the hang of that reticule thing, that or just pure dumb luck

anyway, it looked cool..
mikeshw
Radioactive Glo

i wish i had spawned as assault instead of spec ops last nite. a Hind transport was sitting pretty capping a flag..and all i could do was to keep lobbing grenades into it (the rear opened hatch) from the back..and nothing happened.. wish i had a 203 then..
=[4th]=SlayThem
Destroy Noob Cannons
+96|6851

mikeshw wrote:

i wish i had spawned as assault instead of spec ops last nite. a Hind transport was sitting pretty capping a flag..and all i could do was to keep lobbing grenades into it (the rear opened hatch) from the back..and nothing happened.. wish i had a 203 then..
uhm.. c4?
mikeshw
Radioactive Glo

I did think of that, but they were a little high for my C4s to do damage..

i did think of bunny hopping, throw a C4 up at the Hind, right click fast enuff for it to blow up close to the heli, and not die in the process.. but the sight of me doing bunny hop was too funny for me to even attempt..
bluehavoc8686
will frag for food
+11|6858|Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Seems like most of you haven't had much success either with the nade launchers, but despite that, I think that I get killed by them (on foot) more than any other weapon.

It's the biggest noob gun in the game. And to make things worse, some of these bastards out there are so expert with it that they deliver precision hits every time.

Trying to get my knife badge, I come at this guy with my knife swinging and what does he do? He blasts a M203 round at my feet. Seems like a lot of the new players out there are total pussies. No honor anymore it seems. Woopie, you can rack up kills with it, but you have 1 badge in 40 hrs of play. Good job f_cko!
[8E]HeinzGuderian
+0|6846
most bs gun in the game its the noob launcher plain and simple when u get people who cant grasp the concept of burst fire instead of hold down the trigger EA gave them a way out wich is really lame for everyone else. I mean enough time anyone could get it down but all will be fixed once the new patch is out thank god.

Heinz Guderian
mort4u
Artillery catcher
+5|6856|Munich, Germany
man yesterday i was on a 203-noob-festival karkand server.
50% of the usmc were running around with the 203 up ond blasting away on close range. in 3 rounds i think i was shot by the m16 once and the rest had the medic L85. kinda spoiled my fun cause most close encounter i had ended in been blown up over 5m distance.
i also flame some of them for it but they didnt care. and then the server switched to clean sweep and all the 203 noobs left emidiatly cause they wouldnt have stood a chance with their 203 on a long range map just pathetic.
Typhino
+0|6855
I use it quite a bit, look at my stats sig (it will be engineer btw sometimes) but i do get easy kills with it, jus ask for a supply drop at the 1st flag and you will own the match, i Do .

But there are times where it hits them right at their feet but they do not die, yet u will get a damage assist!!!

But i mean some people are now calling it the "nob tube" jus becoz they get killed by it!!!

About 3 people ended up changing to assault becoz of wot i was doing on karkand, but not many more were using it!!!

If it gets you the points, i see no prblem with using it!!!
priznat
+0|6865
Ok I was playing on karkand last night, trying to get the explosive badge or armor ribbon, and jeez those M203/GP-30s were annoying.. nonstop, that is pretty much anyone ever uses.. on the bright side you can drive the LAV around pretty much carefree (other than the T-90) since the assaults dont do all that much damage to it.. as long as you know where the TOWs are you can just zoom past em
mort4u
Artillery catcher
+5|6856|Munich, Germany
i only wish they implement an arming distance for the 203 cause close kills are just stupid.

if they keep it they could also make the grenades explode on impact and next we will have railguns and jumppads to get on the high buildings whils strafejumoing to be as fast as a tank
mrboxley
+0|6843

priznat wrote:

Hey all,

While I'm not usually an assault player, I find whenever I do use assault the M203/GP-30 grenade launcher is ridiculously powerful. I feel guilty running around racking up bigtime kills because it feels kind of cheap.

Anyone feel that way or just go for it, what the hell? The temptation to just run around and spam grenades (especially on karkand) is *really* high

Any good counters to the grenade launchers? Can't really think of any because once you get good at aiming that sucker, holy crap.
Then just don't use the gernade launcher!!! Use the spec ops gun it is still the same firing modes but no launcher!!!

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard