UON
Junglist Massive
+223|6661
Invasion by the end of the week?
Fancy_Pollux
Connoisseur of Fine Wine
+1,306|6653
Isn't Israel expected to attack them in 2007?
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6589|SE London

They've been offering the option of buying oil in Euros too. Since March.

If all the US hating oil producing countries do the same the dollar will be doomed. The Euro however is going to go from strength to strength.
jonsimon
+224|6503

Bertster7 wrote:

If all the US hating oil producing countries do the same the dollar will be doomed. The Euro however is going to go from strength to strength.
Before you couldn't buy oil in Euros, but you could purchase a contract for future consumption in Euros. Now you have to buy it in Euros.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6589|SE London

Fancy_Pollux wrote:

I doubt it. They'd have to attack across Iraq. I don't think the US would approve.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6589|SE London

jonsimon wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

Before you couldn't buy oil in Euros, but you could purchase a contract for future consumption in Euros. Now you have to buy it in Euros.
Yeah.

Since March. I don't know whether they've had any contracts in Euros but the option has been there for a while. Now it's just compulsory.

Good move by Iran.
herrr_smity
+156|6635|space command ur anus

Bertster7 wrote:

Fancy_Pollux wrote:

I doubt it. They'd have to attack across Iraq. I don't think the US would approve.
they are Israel they don't need approval, the rules don't apply to them
CameronPoe
+2,925|6563
You have to admire Iranian tactics. While the US 'superpower' is bogged down in the shitfest it created in Iraq, the likes of North Korea, Syria and Iran are capitalising on every opportunity that comes by that otherwise would ordinarily have been thwarted. The question I have is this: what implications does this have for Europe?
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6589|SE London

CameronPoe wrote:

You have to admire Iranian tactics. While the US 'superpower' is bogged down in the shitfest it created in Iraq, the likes of North Korea, Syria and Iran are capitalising on every opportunity that comes by that otherwise would ordinarily have been thwarted. The question I have is this: what implications does this have for Europe?
Good ones.

It'll massively boost the European economy whilst detracting from the US economy. The Euro will rise in value and the Dollar will fall.

Europe will likely support these changes. If trading oil in Euros really takes off then there could be huge shifts in economic power very quickly.
[UTQ]_Ausch88
Banned
+23|6502

Fancy_Pollux wrote:

you wish
Stormscythe
Aiming for the head
+88|6557|EUtopia | Austria
Hum, maybe they just chose the more stable currency.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6589|SE London

Stormscythe wrote:

Would be a good reason. But they blatantly did it to piss off the US. Just like Iraq did, but then they got invaded (and that is perhaps why). I reckon more of the US hating Middle Eastern countries (along with some South American ones - I bet Chavez would love to do the same) will follow suite, but Saudi Arabia certainly won't - unless OPEC switches entirely to the Euro.
Stormscythe
Aiming for the head
+88|6557|EUtopia | Austria

Bertster7 wrote:

Stormscythe wrote:

Would be a good reason. But they blatantly did it to piss off the US.
Yeah, it rains because the plants need water.
Heck, do you really think it's not just some sort of strategy to change to euros while dollars are in a recession? They may well switch back to dollar, as soon as it recovers. That it pisses the US - well, i doubt that it's solely this reason. After all, they may have some strange beliefs about what's right and wrong, but they are not stupid.
Colfax
PR Only
+70|6651|United States - Illinois
It won't affect anything in the states.
splixx
ChupaCABRA
+53|6746|Omaha, Nebraska
Iraq did this in 2000-2001? Look what happened.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6589|SE London

Colfax wrote:

It won't affect anything in the states.
It will. It will devalue the dollar. Not by much, but compounded with all the other problems and the future potential for moving a lot of oil sales to Euros rather than dollars, it could be really quite serious.
CameronPoe
+2,925|6563

splixx wrote:

Iraq did this in 2000-2001? Look what happened.
And it's exactly why that won't happen in Iran!!! Cos they're still there!!!
Sh1fty2k5
MacSwedish
+113|6717|Sweden
Yeah! Finally the EU and Iran can create a magnificent alliance and invade the USA! Hallelujah!
chittydog
less busy
+586|6842|Kubra, Damn it!

He may have been referring to the economic recession in the US that started in 2001.
Fancy_Pollux
Connoisseur of Fine Wine
+1,306|6653

Bertster7 wrote:

Fancy_Pollux wrote:

Well, the US did recently sell them 500 bunker buster bombs. I don't think they would invade either, but instead just fly over and bomb the facilities.

[UTQ]_Ausch88 wrote:

Fancy_Pollux wrote:

you wish
Aren't you a neo-Nazi? Oh nevermind, you're Mr. Australian Chainsaw.

B.Schuss wrote:

1. I don't think any sane person actually would believe that one could hold a non-biased conference on the holocaust in Iran, a country whose president has repeatedly denied it. That's a load of bullshit PR

2. so, Ausch means "austrian chainsaw", huh ? good one..

3. care to elaborate what the 88 stands for then. Let me guess, it's the year you were born...

to those outside the german-speaking world: the 88 is a number commonly used by neo-nazis. It represents the 8th letter of the alphabet, in double form. 88 = HH = Heil Hitler.
If he is from austria, he surely knows that. This is not a coincidence. Neither is his e-mail adress, which - not to my surprise - also contains the infamous 88. Let's see if he has the balls not to change it...

now, I may be totally wrong here, but for the moment, I shall disregard anything you put forward here, and consider you a neo-nazi. I have nothing to prove it, apart from some random numbers on the internet, and the crap you have posted so far, but that's enough for me.
Denial of the holocaust is a crime in germany, and for good reason.

If denial of the holocaust was a punishable forum rule, you'd be banned hours ago.

Last edited by Fancy_Pollux (2006-12-18 14:33:10)

arabeater
Do you have any idea how fooking busy I am?
+49|6688|Colorado Springs, CO

Sh1fty2k5 wrote:

Yeah! Finally the EU and Iran can create a magnificent alliance and invade the USA! Hallelujah!
Yea you would seal your fate by doing so, and I know you Euros dont wanna fuck with the US militarily.
Sh1fty2k5
MacSwedish
+113|6717|Sweden

arabeater wrote:

Sh1fty2k5 wrote:

Yea you would seal your fate by doing so, and I know you Euros dont wanna fuck with the US militarily.
Your sig makes me wanna vomit
arabeater
Do you have any idea how fooking busy I am?
+49|6688|Colorado Springs, CO

Sh1fty2k5 wrote:

arabeater wrote:

Sh1fty2k5 wrote:

Your sig makes me wanna vomit
Then my evil pran is working!
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6589|SE London

Fancy_Pollux wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

Fancy_Pollux wrote:

Well, the US did recently sell them 500 bunker buster bombs. I don't think they would invade either, but instead just fly over and bomb the facilities.
Surely those would be nuclear facilities not oil production facilities and wouldn't have much bearing on the switch from dollars to euros.

The French would probably shoot them down anyway, they can be awkward bastards the French

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard