Poll

Should the world adopt the Japanese military model?

Yes.35%35% - 18
No.54%54% - 28
Not sure.9%9% - 5
Total: 51
Scorpion0x17
can detect anyone's visible post count...
+691|6777|Cambridge (UK)
Whilst, and after, watching a recent 'Unreported World' (a very good Channel4 documentary series - a must watch, if you're able) about the current rise of nationalism in Japan and the nationalists calls for Japan to adopt a more 'offensive' military model, I got to think that we in the rest of the 'developed world' should adopt the Japanese military model - of having a purely defensive military force.

Vote and/or Discuss (or not)...

(I have some thoughts on just how this might work, but I need to shape them into a series of vaguely coherent sentences, and would welcome other peoples thoughts while I ponder on it...)

Last edited by Scorpion0x17 (2006-12-17 06:56:48)

deeznutz1245
Connecticut: our chimps are stealin yo' faces.
+483|6504|Connecticut
You mean protection from the U.S. and then bitch about it later? Most (not all) of the world has already adopted it.
Malloy must go
[pt] KEIOS
srs bsns
+231|6664|pimelteror.de

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

we in the 'developed world' should adopt the Japanese military model
so, do you think that japan is not a member of the "developed world"?
usmarine2007
Banned
+374|6378|Columbus, Ohio
They also have women in sub-servant roles in the military..... shall we adopt that model also?
Scorpion0x17
+691|6777|Cambridge (UK)

[pt] KEIOS wrote:

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

we in the 'developed world' should adopt the Japanese military model
so, do you think that japan is not a member of the "developed world"?
oops - I was avoiding 'west'... insert a 'rest of the' in front of it...
CommandoRog
+10|6695|USA
Every time Godzilla wants a sake and and makes land on Japan,he kicks the Japanese Militarys ass every time.
So i would say NO.
Scorpion0x17
+691|6777|Cambridge (UK)

usmarine2007 wrote:

They also have women in sub-servant roles in the military..... shall we adopt that model also?
Did I say anyone should?

I think you'll find the answer is "No" (to both).
Mogura
+17|6374|EUROPE
BUILD MORE NUKES !!! if you have neough of them, no one will have enough balls to mess with you :p
Commie Killer
+192|6398
Well most of the western world has a first strike mindset though the nationalism in Japan is what makes the country as good as it is, when people have something like that to motivate themselves it does amazing things for there country and mankind, almost always good....
usmarine2007
Banned
+374|6378|Columbus, Ohio
I guess Japan gave up on their first strike ideals since it went kind of bad for them the last time.
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6508

usmarine2007 wrote:

I guess Japan gave up on their first strike ideals since it went kind of bad for them the last time.
QFT
Lisik
+74|6512|Israel
The problem that (for example) Russian purely defensive military force will be largest then whole Japan.
tupla_s
+455|6603|Finland
We already have defensive military forces in Finland

Last edited by tupla_s (2006-12-17 07:58:45)

[pt] KEIOS
srs bsns
+231|6664|pimelteror.de

CommandoRog wrote:

Every time Godzilla wants a sake and and makes land on Japan,he kicks the Japanese Militarys ass every time.
So i would say NO.
Godzilla pwnd the us military, too

godzilla would even pwn chuck norris.
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6696|United States of America
If every military is defensive, then there is no one to make the first move and attack. For that matter, there is no point to have a defensive military if nobody will attack.
Scorpion0x17
+691|6777|Cambridge (UK)

tupla_s wrote:

Kewl. I didn't know that. Purely defensive?

I knew about Japan, of course, for some while, but I thought it was the only major country with a purely defensive military force, are there any others?

DesertFox423 wrote:

If every military is defensive, then there is no one to make the first move and attack.
That's the point.

DesertFox423 wrote:

For that matter, there is no point to have a defensive military if nobody will attack.
However you will always get rogue entities.

Last edited by Scorpion0x17 (2006-12-17 09:26:22)

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6783|PNW

The war crimes of Imperial Japan are too recent to consider adopting a 'Japanese' model.

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2006-12-17 09:35:58)

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6783|PNW

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

tupla_s wrote:

Kewl. I didn't know that. Purely defensive?
Dude, don't use that color. I've played Diablo II for 10 hours straight, and I thought I found a unique item.
Stormscythe
Aiming for the head
+88|6560|EUtopia | Austria

[pt] KEIOS wrote:

WTF!

About defensive military: Every Country has a ministry of defence, not a ministry of assault, attack or war.
I'm pretty keen on neutrality, after all.
Some Austrian politician once suggested to provide aid towards allies and to be neutral towards others. Well, that was so funny, it made me almost cry.
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6416|North Carolina
Having a purely defensive military is like saying, "Hey, if you're an ally of ours and you're getting fucked, we can't help you."

I'm all for limiting warfare to its minimum, but we have offensive capabilities for good reason.  The only problem right now is that our leaders are triggerhappy.
Commie Killer
+192|6398

Stormscythe wrote:

[pt] KEIOS wrote:

WTF!

About defensive military: Every Country has a ministry of defence, not a ministry of assault, attack or war.
Some Austrian politician once suggested to provide aid towards allies and to be neutral towards others. Well, that was so funny, it made me almost cry.
The United States has a Department of Defense, it used to be the Secretary of War or something, political correctness, thats all it is.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6592|SE London

CommandoRog wrote:

So i would say NO.
In the more recent version Godzilla kicked the US military's ass as well.

I'm all for purely defensive military forces. It would eliminate bully boy tactics.
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6416|North Carolina

Commie Killer wrote:

Stormscythe wrote:

[pt] KEIOS wrote:

WTF!

The United States has a Department of Defense, it used to be the Secretary of War or something, political correctness, thats all it is.
The Secretary of Defense was once known as the Secretary of War, and likewise, the Department of Defense was once the Department of War.
Mogura
+17|6374|EUROPE

CommandoRog wrote:

So i would say NO.
My dear, if you had any brain you would know what everybody else knows! Godzilla DO NOT DRINK SAKE ! write that down !
Mitch
16 more years
+877|6536|South Florida
Excuse me, which model received the Atomic bomb? Oh yeah i remember
15 more years! 15 more years!

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard