Stingray24
Proud member of the vast right-wing conspiracy
+1,060|6455|The Land of Scott Walker
I want to know WHY we can't just celebrate Christmas anymore?  Why does everyone else and their brother have to get all hacked off that their religious symbols aren't included during Christmas?  I don't go telling all other religions to add a cross to the decorations for their holidays, so leave the Christmas trees alone!  And pass the eggnog!

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16150563/

Fav quote:
After consulting with lawyers, port staff believed that adding the menorah would have required adding symbols for other religions and cultures in the Northwest. The holidays are the busiest season at the airport, Betancourt said, and staff didn’t have time to play cultural anthropologists.
Goven
/̵͇̿̿/'̿'̿ ̿
+125|6491|Purdue
It's a freaking tree ffs. My neighbors that live across the street are Jewish, but they still get them. They just don't call them Christmas Trees. Don't put a star or angel on it if you don't want to be "exclusive."
Doctor Strangelove
Real Battlefield Veterinarian.
+1,758|6478
To be honest I have not noticed this at all. My town has a big Christmas tree, we call it a Christmas tree, most people here are Jewish and except infront of the synogague no big Menorah.
chittydog
less busy
+586|6845|Kubra, Damn it!

So stupid... Why take it all down? Just let 'em add the menorah. It's Hannukah season too. They don't need a symbol for every religion. They shouldn't all be having their big holidays at the same time.
Superior Mind
(not macbeth)
+1,755|6703
omg.......I'm Jewish but I have a Christmas tree in my house . (well my mom did convert to Chritianity lol).
InfectiousShadow
BF2S Resident Bass Player
+45|6441|Washington State, USA
ha that was on our local news (i live in Washington) and the jewish guy was telling the reporters how sea-tac made such a stupid decision in taking down the trees, and unfortunantly we wont be able to put the trees up and resolve this till next year...
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6415|North Carolina
That rabbi is just being a dick.  Only in America can you threaten to sue over this shit.
InfectiousShadow
i wish that we could take lawyers to a field and shoot the fuck out of them
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6782|PNW

Strangely enough, I had started to post this very topic before this thread popped up. But instead of talking about the "War on Christmas," I decided to discuss the matter of lawsuits over holiday issues.
InfectiousShadow
yeah, i wonder if the guy who runs starbucks (paul allen right?) asked the rabbi to do this because he is a JEW....nah just kidding
Lisik
+74|6510|Israel
looks like rabbi lost his mind...

The Jerusalem municipality will hold its annual Christmas tree distribution on Thursday, 22/12/05, at the Jaffa Gate Plaza, between 09:00-12:00. The trees are given free to everyone who asks and shows and ID (For registration). The trees were donated by "Keren Kayemet Le'Israel – Jewish National Fund".

The Christmas tree distribution is a long standing tradition of the Jerusalem Municipality, taking place for dozens of years. The mayor of Jerusalem, Uri Lupolinaksi, wishes a Merry Christmas to the Christian residents of Jerusalem and a year of peace, tolerance and brotherhood. The mayor invites people from all religions to come and visit Jerusalem, the capital of Israel.
chittydog
less busy
+586|6845|Kubra, Damn it!

mafia996630
© 2009 Jeff Minard
+319|6773|d
that kind of shit only happens in the USA, seriously.
King_County_Downy
shitfaced
+2,791|6607|Seattle

Yep. We win, they fail.
Sober enough to know what I'm doing, drunk enough to really enjoy doing it
Masques
Black Panzer Party
+184|6732|Eastern PA
I don't see where the rabbi was at fault. It seems like the airport administration removed the trees instead of simply adding a menorah...why they wouldn't add a menorah is beyond me and their excuse about having to add other religions' symbols just doesn't make sense. Add the other fucking symbols.
evilcartman99
The Octagon
+18|6422|da ville, va
Yo I don't see how a Christmas tree represents religion. It doesn't look anything like Christ. The point of the Christmas tree is so Santa's Big Red ass can come down the chimney and drop of toys and steal your shit. If that is religious then I have penii growing from my head.
Stingray24
Proud member of the vast right-wing conspiracy
+1,060|6455|The Land of Scott Walker

Masques wrote:

I don't see where the rabbi was at fault. It seems like the airport administration removed the trees instead of simply adding a menorah...why they wouldn't add a menorah is beyond me and their excuse about having to add other religions' symbols just doesn't make sense. Add the other fucking symbols.
Why? It's not their holiday.  I can see the menorah because the Jewish holiday is coming up.  But there is no other mainline religion that has a major holiday this time of year.  If all the other religions need their stuff up during Christmas, then I want a nativity scene displayed during every single one of their holidays or I'm going to sue.
Masques
Black Panzer Party
+184|6732|Eastern PA

Stingray24 wrote:

Masques wrote:

Why? It's not their holiday.  I can see the menorah because the Jewish holiday is coming up.  But there is no other mainline religion that has a major holiday this time of year.  If all the other religions need their stuff up during Christmas, then I want a nativity scene displayed during every single one of their holidays or I'm going to sue.
That's really beside the point. Simply display the requisite symbols during that religion's holy festivals.

It seems that he was suing to simply have a menorah added, not to have the trees removed. Rather than take that simple step they removed the trees. In this case the object of derision should really be the airport administration.

Its hard to see how this is some kind of "persecution" issue.
{BMF}*Frank_The_Tank
U.S. > Iran
+497|6588|Florida
Thats what Im talking about
Masques
Black Panzer Party
+184|6732|Eastern PA
https://img187.imageshack.us/img187/2432/cardhappyeverythingbq3.gif
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6684|Canberra, AUS
'Tis the season to be suing...
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
InfectiousShadow
we got a lot of royal turds up here in washington...fucking liberal cunts
Naughty_Om
Im Ron Burgundy?
+355|6643|USA
The tree has nothing to do with religion, it was actually an invention of the germans.
weamo8
+50|6453|USA

Goven wrote:

It's a freaking tree ffs. My neighbors that live across the street are Jewish, but they still get them. They just don't call them Christmas Trees. Don't put a star or angel on it if you don't want to be "exclusive."
I have known quite a few Jews (I am Christian myself), and I would say they are the most tolerant people on God's green earth.  There are those few who are jerks, but most are cool as hell about different belief systems.
BVC
+325|6705
Don't worry Christians, theres a way to get your own back; insist on a Christian take on Ramadan etc

"PC" stuff that interferes with christmas just plain fucks me off.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard