CameronPoe
+2,925|6581
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/6167041.stm

Is it time for hypocrisy to kick in? Saudi Arabia, along with five other middle eastern nations, have articulated the fact that they are considering developing nuclear technology for civilian purposes.

BBC wrote:

A GCC statement released on Sunday said: "The states of the region have a right to possess nuclear technology for peaceful purposes."
Sound familiar?

Well I'm relishing the prospect of how the US, UK and other western nations are going to skirt the issue on this one.

"I'd love the see how the Washington Post will swing that one tomorrow!"

Last edited by CameronPoe (2006-12-11 02:02:07)

GorillaTicTacs
+231|6399|Kyiv, Ukraine
As long as they continue to peacefully sell us their oil while we pay with our useless dollars, we ain't gonna say jack.  It's not hypocrisy if that has been the policy.
JahManRed
wank
+646|6654|IRELAND

The oil has to run out some day. Many of these countries have been looking at an Oil-less future already, developing tourisim industries. Good luck to them..............
EVieira
+105|6504|Lutenblaag, Molvania
Its good the the middle east is finally waking up to the advantages of nuclear power! Its good to see how the UN is completely failing to keep the peace in the region. It seems to be going in the same path as its father, the League of Nations.
"All truths are easy to understand once they are discovered;  the point is to discover them."
Galileo Galilei  (1564-1642)
CameronPoe
+2,925|6581

GorillaTicTacs wrote:

As long as they continue to peacefully sell us their oil while we pay with our useless dollars, we ain't gonna say jack.  It's not hypocrisy if that has been the policy.
The rest of the world also buys Iranian oil.
GorillaTicTacs
+231|6399|Kyiv, Ukraine
The rest of the world also buys Iranian oil.
Exactly, IN DOLLARS...so far.  So long as the rest of the world needs dollars to buy energy, as under the OPEC treaty with the US, the dollar becomes the supreme necessary de facto world currency.

Iran has threatened to open up the first large-scale oil bourse denominated in Euros though, coincidentally about the same time we started ratcheting up the sabre-rattling over any percieved evil we could think of.

Saddam made the mistake of taking Euros for oil as well as direct barter (Oil for Food)...BIG no no for the powers that be.

When people say we are involved in the ME because of oil, it is a piece of the truth.  When the other camp says it is to preserve the American way of life, that is also a piece of the truth.  The fact of the matter is that the dollar is a worthless piece of paper, and only by aggressive enforcement of its use by treaty or war do we keep it propped up and therefore keep Joe Q. Public ignorant, fat, lazy, and even proud of what is being done in his name.

Should be required reading:
http://www.house.gov/paul/congrec/congr … 021506.htm
Most Americans forget how our policies have systematically and needlessly antagonized the Iranians over the years.  In 1953 the CIA helped overthrow a democratically elected president, Mohammed Mossadeqh, and install the authoritarian Shah, who was friendly to the U.S.  The Iranians were still fuming over this when the hostages were seized in 1979.  Our alliance with Saddam Hussein in his invasion of Iran in the early 1980s did not help matters, and obviously did not do much for our relationship with Saddam Hussein.  The administration announcement in 2001 that Iran was part of the axis of evil didn’t do much to improve the diplomatic relationship between our two countries.  Recent threats over nuclear power, while ignoring the fact that they are surrounded by countries with nuclear weapons, doesn’t seem to register with those who continue to provoke Iran.  With what most Muslims perceive as our war against Islam, and this recent history, there’s little wonder why Iran might choose to harm America by undermining the dollar.  Iran, like Iraq, has zero capability to attack us.  But that didn’t stop us from turning Saddam Hussein into a modern day Hitler ready to take over the world.  Now Iran, especially since she’s made plans for pricing oil in Euros, has been on the receiving end of a propaganda war not unlike that waged against Iraq before our invasion.

Last edited by GorillaTicTacs (2006-12-11 03:38:51)

B.Schuss
I'm back, baby... ( sort of )
+664|6867|Cologne, Germany

well, obviously, there are "good" middle-eastern countries and "bad" middle-eastern countries.

The "good" ones are those that we (the west) did not invade, help invade or make angry by some other short-sighted part of foreign politics ( kudos to GorillaTicTacs ), and which as a result do not wish to harm us.

The "bad"...well, I guess you can figure out that one yourself...

And while I can see why Cam would want to call this hypocrisy, it is all about trust in the end. Saudia-Arabia, Kuwait, Jordan, etc. have proven over the years that they are allies and do not wish to do us harm.

it might be true that we ( the west ) are partly to blame for the current situation" in the middle east, but that doesn't take away our responsibility towards our own people.
usmarine2007
Banned
+374|6393|Columbus, Ohio
Interesting that the Saudis recently called the middle east a "powder keg waiting to explode," so why not add nukes to the keg?

Keg stands for everyone!
ghettoperson
+1,943|6675

Mmmm... keg...
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6626|132 and Bush

Iran kicked out the IAEA I think that was the big problem. Maybe the Saudis are willing to be open about it?
Xbone Stormsurgezz
IRONCHEF
+385|6516|Northern California
It only depends on if we like a country or not before we'll try to deny them of nuclear power.  Even Iran was being given nuclear technology from us (THE USA) until the Shah was ousted in '79.  Clinton was giving N Korea cold water reactors until '94 I think..probably China too.  We've shared nuke energy tech with many countries..sure it's meant to not be upgradable to weapons grade nuke material, but we've given it.  that's the hypocracy right there though..giving it to the shah..then threatening the ayatollahs for developing it.  I personally hope iran develops all the nuclear energy tech they want.
King_County_Downy
shitfaced
+2,791|6623|Seattle

Kmarion wrote:

Iran kicked out the IAEA I think that was the big problem. Maybe the Saudis are willing to be open about it?
That is the key. They must allow inspectors. If they agree to play fair, then they should be able to have nuclear energy. Once they kick out inspectors (like Sadam), then they should expect some heat, and not the electrical kind.
Sober enough to know what I'm doing, drunk enough to really enjoy doing it
Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6792|UK
I have to say once everyone has nuclear technology I can see there being a either: Peace throughout the world as everyone is afraid of each other, or a new Cold War.
Parker
isteal
+1,452|6420|The Gem Saloon

B.Schuss wrote:

well, obviously, there are "good" middle-eastern countries and "bad" middle-eastern countries.

The "good" ones are those that we (the west) did not invade, help invade or make angry by some other short-sighted part of foreign politics ( kudos to GorillaTicTacs ), and which as a result do not wish to harm us.

And while I can see why Cam would want to call this hypocrisy, it is all about trust in the end. Saudia-Arabia, Kuwait, Jordan, etc. have proven over the years that they are allies and do not wish to do us harm.

it might be true that we ( the west ) are partly to blame for the current situation" in the middle east, but that doesn't take away our responsibility towards our own people.
im pretty sure the only thing that the saudis have proven is that they are a great breeding ground for extremists letting their people spout that wahabist bullshit, and that they can act like they care when something bad happens.
other than that i think they deal with us for oil.
if the majority of their country are wahabists, then i dont think that they want much to do with us.
Fancy_Pollux
Connoisseur of Fine Wine
+1,306|6672

Vilham wrote:

I have to say once everyone has nuclear technology I can see there being a either: Peace throughout the world as everyone is afraid of each other, or a new Cold War.
One would hope. The reality would probably be something far more chaotic. Terrorists smuggling nukes into cities. Millions killed with noone to blaim. A moderate society should be entitled to nuclear power, but we all know how unstable the Middle East is.

Last edited by Fancy_Pollux (2006-12-11 09:39:37)

Fujin
+18|6572

B.Schuss wrote:

Ahhh...but that is the big trick there.  I would somewhat agree with you there B, but the question remains do they trust each other...especially who they have "aligned" themselves with in the past and who those people consider their enemies.  Isreal, I am sure, is taking a heightened interest in this because, although it may not pose a direct threat to the US, other nations in the area, given the lack of "getting along", may have cause for alarm.  I myself, with my experience with people of the Arab nation, for some reason feel uneasy about the prospects of nuclear technology in that region.  Now that doesn't mean that I oppose anyone for having that kind of tech...hell, it's one of the best sources of power we are able to control and use.  But it is also a "power" that can be abused and / or stolen for lethal purposes.  To a certain degree, all of us Americans are some what hypocritical in this area considering we are the only nation to have actually used it as a weapon on another people...that, to a certain degree justifies our "hypocritical" posture in that we recognize that it can be a terrible thing in the wrong hands.  The question is, if the technology then becomes available in the Arab nation, will it and can it end up in the wrong hands.  What makes me uneasy about this is I believe the answer is yes.  The world must be cautious.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6626|132 and Bush

Thats like saying if everyone owned a gun the world would be safer... we just know better.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
B.Schuss
I'm back, baby... ( sort of )
+664|6867|Cologne, Germany

Parker wrote:

B.Schuss wrote:

im pretty sure the only thing that the saudis have proven is that they are a great breeding ground for extremists letting their people spout that wahabist bullshit, and that they can act like they care when something bad happens.
other than that i think they deal with us for oil.
if the majority of their country are wahabists, then i dont think that they want much to do with us.
well, at least they don't deny the holocaust and threaten to wipe off Israel of the map of the world.
That's a start.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard