Pernicious544
Zee Tank Skank
+80|6760|MoVal So-Cal

Bubbalo wrote:

It takes two to flame war.  And so far, I have yet to insult you.  I just pointed out that you much-touted education leaves something to be desired in some areas.
I don't think i was touting my education. California has some of the worst schools in the country, I was just stating that our teachers teach us the failings of our country as well as our triumphs.

Bubbalo wrote:

Apparently at the expense of you English curriculum...................
This, is an insult. By saying this you are insinuating that I didn't pay attention in my classes. Because only idiots don't pay attention in school you are, in all actuality, calling me an idiot.

Last edited by Pernicious544 (2006-12-09 00:12:11)

BVC
+325|6755
Not from England.

In high school (also called College here) we were taught a little...all I can remember now (HS for me was 93-96) is that the Americans fought a war of Indpendence against the British...I can't remember much besides that, but we weren't taught a hell of a lot about it.  Odd, as my form teacher was an American.
Bubbalo
The Lizzard
+541|6621

Pernicious544 wrote:

Bubbalo wrote:

This, is an insult. By saying this you are insinuating that I didn't pay attention in my classes. Because only idiots don't pay attention in school you are, in all actuality, calling me an idiot.
Actually, no.  I'm outright saying that your school failed to teach you, not that you failed to learn.  Further, you're the one saying only idiots don't pay attention, not me.  Either way, I'm done with this argument.
Ty
Mass Media Casualty
+2,398|6834|Noizyland

Too right you are. Banned for three days mate, after never ever getting a bloody clue that whatever you add to conversations is negative. Your arguments are a joke only used to incourage flames.
AND IT WAS RALPH WHO SAID THAT QUOTE!

A shame my 4000th post on Bf2s.com had to be regarding banning someone, but there you go...

Hey, wait, 4000 posts! Woohoo! I rule!
[Blinking eyes thing]
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/tzyon
Cajnac
+0|6581
[img]http://www.scottwesterfeld.com/blogimages/cathelmet.jpg[/img]
Ralph Wiggums, not Bart.
SwampDog
+12|6530|Luton, England
OK, back to the original subject. The American war of Independence.  I did a bit about it in school, and as far as i can remember, it was more down to internal politics back in Britain and the lack of funds that caused us to give up, opposed to the Americans winning. There are probably people out there with better knowledege in history out there who can correct me, but i believe the British actually won most of the battles fought aswell.

But like i said, i did a bit at school, i`m now 29 so that was quite some time ago, so please correct me if i`m wrong.
Sylvanis
+13|6695|Toronto, Ontario

SwampDog wrote:

it was more down to internal politics back in Britain and the lack of funds that caused us to give up, opposed to the Americans winning.
This is what I learned from my college history of war course, although the professor was less than enthused to be covering this particular war.
Ender2309
has joined the GOP
+470|6630|USA
mostly correct swampdog, but there was one final reason:

pressure on the English southern boarders by the French Navy encouraged the british to pack up and go as well.
adam1503
+85|6447|Manchester, UK
Im still at school, in my final year before university, and I don't ever remember learning anything about the American Revolution.  British history stretches back over 2000 years, maybe it was decided that there are other things that must be taught first. 

I cant see that the reason for us not being taught about the revolution was because it was a defeat on our part, or because it is a black mark on our record, I definitely remember being taught about the slave trade.  In my opinion, that is far more shameful than letting the US win independence.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6831|PNW

Bubbalo wrote:

+1, if your post had not been flawed...

Bubbalo wrote:

Pernicious544 wrote:

Bubbalo wrote:

Actually, no.  I'm outright saying that your school failed to teach you, not that you failed to learn.  Further, you're the one saying only idiots don't pay attention, not me.  Either way, I'm done with this argument.
As dumb as the curriculum is over here, I find it hard to blame the schools for failing to teach. With the extent of material made available to the public through the library system and the more reputable parts of the Internet, a student can ace any high-school 'equivalency' course through independent study.

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2006-12-09 04:19:12)

UNDIESRULES
+4|6740
It may be a big deal within American circles but to be honest, its just one of hundreds of wars that England has had.  This country has been scrapping since the word go and they only tend to cover the important ones in school such as Hastings our own civil war and the likes of WW1 and 2.
Colonial punch ups dont really get much of a look in wether we won or lost.
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6464|North Carolina

KILLSWITCH wrote:

=W=GeneralSherman wrote:

KILLSWITCH wrote:

To be honest I know little about the American Revolution and its politics.  I was in my last year of what you guys refer to as 'High School' 4 years ago and I think cultures shy away against their shames (it was shameful that we colonised 13 or whatever areas), and hence they do not teach their young about it.
few people do.
thats quite a while after we learn it.
yes it was 13 but also there was french, sapinish, dutch, russian, etc. settlements there also
they should teach u about it
What I was saying was even in my last year of secondary school (high school) I still hadn't even learned of this stuff.  Which is why I'm ill informed about how many places we clolnised.

Every country neglects to teach its new generation about parts of its negative past.  I would dread to think of the things the USA 'neglects' to teach its youngsters.

Some people would see our former 'empire' as one of those to rival the greatest of them all, the Roman Empire, and that it is something to be proud of.  I do not care to be honest.

Its all about context, your own country teaches you what is best for their cultural bias.
Very true...  Excellent post...
Turquoise
O Canada

Bubbalo wrote:

=W=GeneralSherman wrote:

you're apperently not mature enough to engage in serious talk
Ooooh!  My reputation is growing!
You know...  I'm starting to think that banning you wasn't such a bad idea after all.
=W=GeneralSherman
Banned
+83|6616

Turquoise wrote:

Bubbalo wrote:

=W=GeneralSherman wrote:

you're apperently not mature enough to engage in serious talk
Ooooh!  My reputation is growing!
You know...  I'm starting to think that banning you wasn't such a bad idea after all.
thank you to whoever banned him...

Turquoise wrote:

KILLSWITCH wrote:

=W=GeneralSherman wrote:

few people do.
yes it was 13 but also there was french, sapinish, dutch, russian, etc. settlements there also
What I was saying was even in my last year of secondary school (high school) I still hadn't even learned of this stuff.  Which is why I'm ill informed about how many places we clolnised.

Every country neglects to teach its new generation about parts of its negative past.  I would dread to think of the things the USA 'neglects' to teach its youngsters.

Some people would see our former 'empire' as one of those to rival the greatest of them all, the Roman Empire, and that it is something to be proud of.  I do not care to be honest.

Its all about context, your own country teaches you what is best for their cultural bias.
Very true...  Excellent post...
i suppose that answers my question...thank you to all that helped and fuck you to all who are too immature to engage in what they'd call, 'grown up talk'.

it does all depend on the way you look at it. like in our civil was there was a guy, john brown, that used violence to help abolish slavery and some people see him a a heroic martyr and some see him  as a vilified terrorist.

PS. by the way...when did england officialy oblish slavery?
Turquoise
O Canada

=W=GeneralSherman wrote:

Slavery was banned in what would become Canada in 1810.  I think England banned slavery in their other colonies shortly thereafter.
=W=GeneralSherman
Banned
+83|6616

Turquoise wrote:

=W=GeneralSherman wrote:

Slavery was banned in what would become Canada in 1810.  I think England banned slavery in their other colonies shortly thereafter.
but what about in the actual country (as in what it was back then) of england (and yes i know its a continent but the british rulled alot of that area i believe)
Shadovve
+10|6663|Columbus, OH

Dawsonfattits wrote:

usmarine2007 wrote:

Dawsonfattits wrote:

i can't really remember much about history lessons (boring) i prefer to learn stuff that will help me in the future.
Not sure you understand how that works.
why is that then??????? i'm giving an opinion and i would prefer to learn things that may help me in the future (in other words...........things that i think will help me)
I can't remember the source, but there is a quote that is very important here:

Those who do not study the mistakes of the past, are destined to repeat them. 

If you cut your finger yesterday, might as well forget about that, it's in the past.  Ah...but that could help you in the future couldn't it?

History can be very boring at times, I agree with you, but understand that history is the encompassing of everything we have learned.  It is very important to understand what happened, and why.  Don't get caught up on dates, but remember the sequence and why things went the way they did.  You will find as you age, you will gain a bigger and bigger appreciation for history, by the time you are 50, you will have lived a lot of it.
Doctor Strangelove
Real Battlefield Veterinarian.
+1,758|6528
King George III was more German than Hitler. His granddaddy George I spoke no English.

So George III should be praised in Germany. And plus if his GrandFather had not become king he would have been duke of Hanover.
topthrill05
+125|6637|Rochester NY USA

Dawsonfattits wrote:

ok???????? back on topic............... i'm english, and i can't really remember much about history lessons (boring) i prefer to learn stuff that will help me in the future............so in my opinion history is a complete waste of time. others may see it different but i just believe there is no need to learn about stuff that has happened.
Thing is history is one of your most important classes that you take. You might not get that now or maybe ever but I hope one day you do. One of the things they always forget to teach kids is why they are learning it.

There are to many reasons to list. The basic reason is, in order to know where you are going you have to know where you have been.
Turquoise
O Canada

=W=GeneralSherman wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

=W=GeneralSherman wrote:

but what about in the actual country (as in what it was back then) of england (and yes i know its a continent but the british rulled alot of that area i believe)
Well, I mean....  It depends on how you define that.  They basically enslaved the Irish at one point.  There were also a lot of indentured servants in England and elsewhere.

If we're specifically talking about African slaves, the practice ended in England itself in 1810.  Most English-owned slaves were in the West Indies at that point.
Pernicious544
Zee Tank Skank
+80|6760|MoVal So-Cal

Bubbalo wrote:

Pernicious544 wrote:

Bubbalo wrote:

Saying "insult" was a bit extreem on my part. For that I do apologize. You just didn't need throw in your two cents and say what you said. It's an internet forum, im not worried about grammer and punctuation. So if you could just keep comments like these to yourself that would be great. K Thx.
obstacle02
+3|6576

KILLSWITCH wrote:

I would dread to think of the things the USA 'neglects' to teach its youngsters.
true that!
redhawk454
+50|6607|Divided States of America

Bubbalo wrote:

It takes two to flame war.  And so far, I have yet to insult you.  I just pointed out that you much-touted education leaves something to be desired in some areas.
If your going to correct someone you should be correct yourself.
jonsimon
+224|6555

Bubbalo wrote:

=W=GeneralSherman wrote:

Why?  There are many things that have happened in the history of Britain: the American War of Independence was just another unsuccessful war.
European expansionism and colonialism had huge effects on the world, it's course should be taught in any hsitory of Europe, and the end of expansionism should be taught in British history as well.
SealXo
+309|6595

=W=GeneralSherman wrote:

KILLSWITCH wrote:

To be honest I know little about the American Revolution and its politics.  I was in my last year of what you guys refer to as 'High School' 4 years ago and I think cultures shy away against their shames (it was shameful that we colonised 13 or whatever areas), and hence they do not teach their young about it.
few people do.
the russiandidnt come for awhile
they settled in alaska
not really in colonies

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard