=W=GeneralSherman
Banned
+83|6584
I'm an american (oh yes i know....BOO! go away!...yea yea yea) and we learn about the american revolution as a glorious time in our history in which we 'defeated' the british. But i think that  you learn about how you guys gave up with will to fight us and instead of seeing it as a day where you lost...against all odds and also a rare occasion... you see it as a time to praise King George(?) for fighting a victorious war, am i correct?

im just curious to see how you guys view/learnt it.
Switch
Knee Deep In Clunge
+489|6491|Tyne & Wear, England
To be honest I know little about the American Revolution and its politics.  I was in my last year of what you guys refer to as 'High School' 4 years ago and I think cultures shy away against their shames (it was shameful that we colonised 13 or whatever areas), and hence they do not teach their young about it.
Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.
=W=GeneralSherman
Banned
+83|6584

KILLSWITCH wrote:

To be honest I know little about the American Revolution and its politics.  I was in my last year of what you guys refer to as 'High School' 4 years ago and I think cultures shy away against their shames (it was shameful that we colonised 13 or whatever areas), and hence they do not teach their young about it.
few people do.
thats quite a while after we learn it.
yes it was 13 but also there was french, sapinish, dutch, russian, etc. settlements there also
they should teach u about it
Switch
Knee Deep In Clunge
+489|6491|Tyne & Wear, England

=W=GeneralSherman wrote:

KILLSWITCH wrote:

few people do.
yes it was 13 but also there was french, sapinish, dutch, russian, etc. settlements there also
What I was saying was even in my last year of secondary school (high school) I still hadn't even learned of this stuff.  Which is why I'm ill informed about how many places we clolnised.

Every country neglects to teach its new generation about parts of its negative past.  I would dread to think of the things the USA 'neglects' to teach its youngsters.

Some people would see our former 'empire' as one of those to rival the greatest of them all, the Roman Empire, and that it is something to be proud of.  I do not care to be honest.

Its all about context, your own country teaches you what is best for their cultural bias.
Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.
Bubbalo
The Lizzard
+541|6589

=W=GeneralSherman wrote:

Why?  There are many things that have happened in the history of Britain: the American War of Independence was just another unsuccessful war.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6628|132 and Bush

I learned plenty about Vietnam in School. I'm sure the curriculum varies from county to county.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Pernicious544
Zee Tank Skank
+80|6728|MoVal So-Cal

KILLSWITCH wrote:

=W=GeneralSherman wrote:

KILLSWITCH wrote:

few people do.
What I was saying was even in my last year of secondary school (high school) I still hadn't even learned of this stuff.  Which is why I'm ill informed about how many places we clolnised.

Every country neglects to teach its new generation about parts of its negative past.  I would dread to think of the things the USA 'neglects' to teach its youngsters.

Some people would see our former 'empire' as one of those to rival the greatest of them all, the Roman Empire, and that it is something to be proud of.  I do not care to be honest.

Its all about context, your own country teaches you what is best for their cultural bias.
Actually, In high school I learned about many failures. Vietnam, Somalia, The Bay Of Pigs, Retreating in Korea, Hostages in Iran, Invasion of Mexico, Stealing land from the Native Americans, and Stealing California just to name a few. Unlike what many of you think (I say this because not everyone is american...yes i have a brain) we learn about are whole past. The good and the bad, we learn it all. I for one am proud of our schools for teaching everything and educating the public to our triupmhs and failures.

Last edited by Pernicious544 (2006-12-08 22:32:46)

Bubbalo
The Lizzard
+541|6589
Apparently at the expense of you English curriculum...................
JE3146
+109|6598|Oregon

Bubbalo wrote:

Irony.....

it is "your", not "you"
Bubbalo
The Lizzard
+541|6589
In the words of Bart Simpson: Me fail English?  That's umpossible!
Pernicious544
Zee Tank Skank
+80|6728|MoVal So-Cal

Bubbalo wrote:

It's a forum for a video game. If you wish to correct my English then please, by all means, go ahead. It must make your e-penis much, much larger to do so.

Last edited by Pernicious544 (2006-12-08 22:29:16)

Pernicious544
Zee Tank Skank
+80|6728|MoVal So-Cal

Bubbalo wrote:

In the words of Bart Simpson: Me fail English?  That's umpossible!
Ralph Wiggum said that.
Bubbalo
The Lizzard
+541|6589

Pernicious544 wrote:

Bubbalo wrote:

It's a forum for a video game. If you wish to correct my English then please, by all means, go ahead. It must make your e-penis much, much larger to do so.
You mean to say "doing so must make your e-penis much, much larger".  That or you're purposely being grammatically incorrect.

Pernicious544 wrote:

Ralph Wiggum said that.
Bart said it on the Funzo episode.  Ralph may also have said it, though.
Dawsonfattits
I will not eat that cat poo!
+5|6486
ok???????? back on topic............... i'm english, and i can't really remember much about history lessons (boring) i prefer to learn stuff that will help me in the future............so in my opinion history is a complete waste of time. others may see it different but i just believe there is no need to learn about stuff that has happened.
usmarine2007
Banned
+374|6395|Columbus, Ohio

Dawsonfattits wrote:

i can't really remember much about history lessons (boring) i prefer to learn stuff that will help me in the future.
Not sure you understand how that works.
Bubbalo
The Lizzard
+541|6589
He's a member of a clan called Xtreme Combat Unit, don't expect too much of him.
Executiator
+69|6448

=W=GeneralSherman wrote:

I'm an american (oh yes i know....BOO! go away!...yea yea yea) and we learn about the american revolution as a glorious time in our history in which we 'defeated' the british. But i think that  you learn about how you guys gave up with will to fight us and instead of seeing it as a day where you lost...against all odds and also a rare occasion... you see it as a time to praise King George(?) for fighting a victorious war, am i correct?

im just curious to see how you guys view/learnt it.
You said learnt. Thats a clear indicator of being taught in the UK.

Round here we say Learned and spelled. not learnt and spelt.

To ym knowledge of course, which is flawed sometimes.
Dawsonfattits
+5|6486

usmarine2007 wrote:

Dawsonfattits wrote:

i can't really remember much about history lessons (boring) i prefer to learn stuff that will help me in the future.
Not sure you understand how that works.
why is that then??????? i'm giving an opinion and i would prefer to learn things that may help me in the future (in other words...........things that i think will help me)
Dawsonfattits
+5|6486

Bubbalo wrote:

He's a member of a clan called Xtreme Combat Unit, don't expect too much of him.
what that has got to do with this topic, i don't know.

what i don't understand is...............because i'm part of a clan called Xtreme Combat Unit, makes me stupid or something? do you know me? NO! so don't express an opinion about me.

Last edited by Dawsonfattits (2006-12-08 23:28:30)

=W=GeneralSherman
Banned
+83|6584

Dawsonfattits wrote:

Bubbalo wrote:

what i don't understand is...............because i'm part of a clan called Xtreme Combat Unit, makes me stupid or something? do you know me? NO! so don't express an opinion about me.
both of you just get the fuck out of here...you're apperently not mature enough to engage in serious talk....just go

EVIL MONKEY SAYS GO:
https://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c185/mylifesstory101/Evil_Monkey_301.gif

back on topic

edit: spelling

Last edited by =W=GeneralSherman (2006-12-08 23:54:03)

Bubbalo
The Lizzard
+541|6589

=W=GeneralSherman wrote:

you're apperently not mature enough to engage in serious talk
Ooooh!  My reputation is growing!
Dawsonfattits
+5|6486

=W=GeneralSherman wrote:

Dawsonfattits wrote:

Bubbalo wrote:

both of you just get the fuck out of here...you're apperently not mature enough to engage in serious talk....just go

EVIL MONKEY SAYS GO:
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c185/ … ey_301.gif

back on topic

edit: spelling
i was defending myself against Bubbalo and my opinion is further up the page, this is a debate and i put my opinion on so shut the fuck up Dickhead.
Pernicious544
Zee Tank Skank
+80|6728|MoVal So-Cal

Bubbalo wrote:

Pernicious544 wrote:

Bubbalo wrote:

You mean to say "doing so must make your e-penis much, much larger".  That or you're purposely being grammatically incorrect.

Pernicious544 wrote:

Ralph Wiggum said that.
Bart said it on the Funzo episode.  Ralph may also have said it, though.
Wow, go ahead big man, become the grammatically correct, spell-check-pro-god. We all know it makes you look so intelligent and wonderful. Do you enjoy turning every thread you enter into a flame-war? It seems that it's all you do.
Bubbalo
The Lizzard
+541|6589
It takes two to flame war.  And so far, I have yet to insult you.  I just pointed out that you much-touted education leaves something to be desired in some areas.
=W=GeneralSherman
Banned
+83|6584

Bubbalo wrote:

It takes two to flame war.  And so far, I have yet to insult you.  I just pointed out that you much-touted education leaves something to be desired in some areas.
for an australian you sure are a uptight little dickwad...go the fuck away both of you...your responces to my posrt only support what i said...now go away so we can get back on the fucking topic

Last edited by =W=GeneralSherman (2006-12-09 00:08:33)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard