Gunner[EW]
+3|6359
This has been a problem thats plagued me since I 1st bought BF2 which was no more than 3 days ago.
Specs-
x800GTO 256MB AGP
1GB PC3200
AMD Athlon 64 2800+ skt 754 (2.1Ghz)
80GB Seagate HDD
MSI mobo

I run 1024x768 All Medium w/ 4x AA. (I tryed no AA, but FPS stayed the same)
My FPS away from combat is 80+, but once I enter a hectic area with fighting my FPS drops to around 40 or lower. I was playing Insomnia Dalian 24/7 earlier today & my FPS hit 35 @ main entrance & at one point while engaged with 2 tanks at main entrance while infantry was fighting around me my FPS hit 28.
Its extremely frustrating.

What is the problem? I know I have Vsync & all other performance killing settings disabled. All drivers are up to date & my resolution is low.

I wont have much $ to upgrade for christmas, so im thinking of getting another 1GB of RAM. But I cfant imagine it fixing my extreme FPS problems. And since my CPu skt isnt being made anymore im screwed CPU wise also.
arson
+99|6644|New York
Drop the AA down to 0 and get another gb of ram.
Gunner[EW]
+3|6359
Is my CPU alright?
I know skt 754 is pretty horrid.
slicknic
+145|6634
your cpu is whats holding you back.

by AA having no affect.. thats saying that your gpu can handle it... you should be able to increase resolution too w/o much problem (as thats more gpu related)

your cpu is really affected by the number of people in the server for one... and im not sure about the other settings that affect cpu.   But by the simple fact that you can increase aa w/ no fps change, that means your cpu is bottlenecking

Last edited by slicknic (2006-12-07 00:46:07)

Twist
Too old to be doing this sh*t
+103|6531|Little blue planet, milky way
Shit no.. The CPU is fine. BF2 doesn't NEED that much CPU. Also read the posters statement. Removing AA showed NO increase in FPS, meaning CPU is NOT bottlenecking.

Offhand Id say it's the GPU or bus. And if the mobo is MSI, then more than likely its the GPU. an x800 is still a good generation card, but the AGP bus is slow, and may not be able to follow with the amount of updates needed when you reach combat. A good test for this is if you have SF, then go to a 32/64 player "iron gator" map, play as US (or get in a helo and try to reach the carrier deck as MEC). If your FPS drops like mad the moment you get close to the carriers superstructure, then it's your GPU. I dont know a decent way to test the bus throughput on a BF2 vanilla map, so dont ask.

Someone suggested more memory, and yeah.. that will help somewhat. But not enough to help out a 70% FPS drop, so offhand, I'd say save the cash.

I'd say stick to the small maps if you're having problems, or upgrade your mobo/GPU to something PCI-e, or try lowering you settings to 800x600. This may not help a LOT, but it will help somewhat.

for a hardware upgrade, I'd suggest getting a new mobo (asus and asrock have dirt cheap 754 boards with PCI-e from around $40), get one that sucks if you have to, it'll be faster than what you have if you get it with PCI-e. MSI also still have boards for 754 with PCI-e, but they're slightly more expensive.
Next get a cheap (used ?) GPU that runs PCI-e if you're used to the x800, dont settle for something "lesser", but dont expect to get something funky if all you have is around 100-150$ for a total upgrade. With board being around $40 plus postage, you'll have $50-100r fo the GPU. Used is the way to go. If you can find a decent deal on a demo card from your local shop, that's fine, but remember to get a good deal.
B1GBUD
+17|6604|Under an Artillery Shell
Are you sure AA isn't forced in Catalyst or ATI tray tools so when removed ingame it still applies it?
Shaguart
Titties
+56|6377|Calgary, Canada
get another gb of ram like arson said, that would help a lot
cospengle
+140|6495|Armidale, NSW, Australia
I have a 2 GHz processor and 2Gig of RAM. My CPU is my bottle neck. I bought my second Gig of RAM to try to get higher FPS, but it didn't help all that much.

I have an AMD 2400 XP and a NVIDIA GeFORCE 5200 FX (128MB). I rarely get more than about 16 FPS and NEVER more than about 25 FPS.

Edit: BTW all my graphics settings are on low.

Last edited by cospengle (2006-12-07 17:00:52)

Ender2309
has joined the GOP
+470|6579|USA

cospengle wrote:

I have a 2 GHz processor and 2Gig of RAM. My CPU is my bottle neck. I bought my second Gig of RAM to try to get higher FPS, but it didn't help all that much.

I have an AMD 2400 XP and a NVIDIA GeFORCE 5200 FX (128MB). I rarely get more than about 16 FPS and NEVER more than about 25 FPS.

Edit: BTW all my graphics settings are on low.
sounds to me like your whole computer is your bottleneck.
cospengle
*cries*

well at least I can pretend that's why my KDR is so shit. lol
MuseSeeker
2142 Soldier: Behenaut
+110|6783|EUR
2 gigs of ram please.
White-Fusion
Fuck
+616|6560|Scotland
Cospengle WTF a 5200? and i thought my 5500 was crap. seriously upgrade (i know i am)
cospengle
I know. I was going to buy myself an upgrade for Xmas, but my dog was bitten by a snake and instead I've got a $680 vet bill
Ender2309
has joined the GOP
+470|6579|USA
at least he's still alive cos.
p3lvicthrust
Banned
+16|6409
hmm fussy much?

512MB ram
128MB gpu
3.0ghz proc
cpl med. settings geometry=high aax6 and about 30-40 fps and i find it perfectly fine to play with that fps
Agent_Dung_Bomb
+302|6744|Salt Lake City

Gunner[EW] wrote:

This has been a problem thats plagued me since I 1st bought BF2 which was no more than 3 days ago.
Specs-
x800GTO 256MB AGP
1GB PC3200
AMD Athlon 64 2800+ skt 754 (2.1Ghz)
80GB Seagate HDD
MSI mobo

I run 1024x768 All Medium w/ 4x AA. (I tryed no AA, but FPS stayed the same)
My FPS away from combat is 80+, but once I enter a hectic area with fighting my FPS drops to around 40 or lower. I was playing Insomnia Dalian 24/7 earlier today & my FPS hit 35 @ main entrance & at one point while engaged with 2 tanks at main entrance while infantry was fighting around me my FPS hit 28.
Its extremely frustrating.

What is the problem? I know I have Vsync & all other performance killing settings disabled. All drivers are up to date & my resolution is low.

I wont have much $ to upgrade for christmas, so im thinking of getting another 1GB of RAM. But I cfant imagine it fixing my extreme FPS problems. And since my CPu skt isnt being made anymore im screwed CPU wise also.
I also have a S754 CPU, and what you have is fine, but let me offer some suggestions.

1. As noted already, go into the video card control panel and set your AA to application preference.  This will make sure that the AA settings are being controlled by the game.

2. Check AF (Anisotropic Filtering) settings and make sure they aren't too high.  I wouldn't recommend going with more than 4x AF, and select the option for performance.  High quality aniso can kill your FPS as well.

3. Turn off any anti-virus and spyware programs before you start the game.  If you have a router that is doing a firewall through NAT, turn off any software firewalls you may have running.  It also wouldn't hurt to kill any other unnecessary services before starting the game.

4. While 1GB isn't bad, and 2GB would be great, you can get away with 1.5GB if money is a problem.  With only 1GB, there is performance degredation.  When I went to 1.5GB from 1GB, I noticed a big change in performance.

5. Turn off shadows, and reduce the lighting quality a bit.
Gunner[EW]
+3|6359
Here a few of my problems...

- Flying in a chopper low over Sharqi might as well be a slideshow....30FPS, lot of times way less.

-Construction site on Sharqi is laggy as ****....25FPS... around contruction whether in the air or on the ground.

- mashtuur City is unplayable for me period. Its one of the most system killing maps i've ever played in my life. Fighting around Mosque flag lags me to like 20FPS.

- Fighting in general lags like hell...what is it about a few guns firing that kills my FPS? I cant believe I go from 80FPS walking quietly in one part of the map to 35FPS in a split second as I turn a corner into a hell hole of fighting.
silentsin
+3|6706
hahaha, i've had many lag problems and other stuff in all the games i've played that have good graphics, but i still manage to play and do alright. i run on a shitty dell made in 2001 and the only thing i've gotten updated is the graphics card (which is from 2003) XD
Bidasse_Jason
+5|6750
Disable dynamic lights and dynamic shadows.
It will greatly increase your framerate.
Jbrar
rawr
+86|6549|Winterpeg, Canada

Bidasse_Jason wrote:

Disable dynamic lights and dynamic shadows.
It will greatly increase your framerate.
^ Very true, my 9550 256mb gives me 30-40 fps on medium/low, 2x AA, and all dynamic shit turned off. It's very playable, even in crowded combat situations it'll only drop down to about 20, only for a sec or two as well.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard