Boeing62%62% - 146
Total: 235
usmarine2007
Banned
+374|6367|Columbus, Ohio

lowing wrote:

usmarine2007 wrote:

lowing wrote:

YES, but the airplane had no idea how long the runway was it wanted to land and the pilot could not get a response from the aircraft for a go around. EXACTLY my point.
Ok..we will not agree obviously...but the pilot was too low when he decided to " go around" IMO.
We can count this one a draw.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_France_Flight_296
agreed.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6651|USA

usmarine2007 wrote:

lowing wrote:

usmarine2007 wrote:

Ok..we will not agree obviously...but the pilot was too low when he decided to " go around" IMO.
We can count this one a draw.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_France_Flight_296
agreed.
I will add though, flight idol ( higher N1 rpm) and ground idol ( lower N1 rpm) are two different speed settings for one reason  and that is for go around scenarios and instant power in flight. From ground idol it takes a turbo fan engine a long time to spool up. From flight idol the engine is already spooled up and it can respond to immediate inputs.
usmarine2007
Banned
+374|6367|Columbus, Ohio

lowing wrote:

usmarine2007 wrote:

lowing wrote:

agreed.
I will add though, flight idol ( higher N1 rpm) and ground idol ( lower N1 rpm) are two different speed settings for one reason  and that is for go around scenarios and instant power in flight. From ground idol it takes a turbo fan engine a long time to spool up. From flight idol the engine is already spooled up and it can respond to immediate inputs.
You need to work on your definition of a draw.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6651|USA

usmarine2007 wrote:

lowing wrote:

usmarine2007 wrote:

agreed.
No no, it was a draw, I read exactly what you described in that article, and you did as well. My little tidbit was for inf only. I still bow to the draw.
usmarine2007
Banned
+374|6367|Columbus, Ohio

lowing wrote:

usmarine2007 wrote:

lowing wrote:

No no, it was a draw, I read exactly what you described in that article, and you did as well. My little tidbit was for inf only. I still bow to the draw.
How very noble of you.
spray_and_pray
+52|6491|Perth. Western Australia
An aircraft wont land unless a pilot inputs the controls for an auto landing AKA ILS using the APP switch for autopilot. Doing a fly-by and a landing are two totally different things and no pilot is stupid enough to use the autopilot on a fly-by the airplane didn't know what the pilot was doing and it cant force the pilot to land or do anything else unless it puts the aircraft in a danger situation. The pilot could have also used the TO/GA switch to get the aircraft out of any cycle it was in or could have shut off the autopilot (if it was on) fly by wire does not control the aircraft in the case of a landing thats the autopilots job. And who the heck revived this topic AGAIN. I thought we got to the point where we all agreed that both aircraft manufacturers are same probability for crash is the same and ends on pilot quality/ ATC/ Maintenance. Full stop Lowing I think you were fighting a stupid point saying the fly by wire was forcing the aircraft to land on a small strip. Aircraft have GPS systems, GPS systems have measurements in runway size etc. The APP switch has to be on with the Autopilot on with the Altitude and Heading switches off and the Nav switch on with the course and Nav frequencies set to make an aircraft attempt to land by itself.
usmarine2007
Banned
+374|6367|Columbus, Ohio
So much for Airbus overtaking Boeing...
http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20070219/ts … 0219084625

Last edited by usmarine2007 (2007-02-19 18:22:32)

lowing
Banned
+1,662|6651|USA

spray_and_pray wrote:

An aircraft wont land unless a pilot inputs the controls for an auto landing AKA ILS using the APP switch for autopilot. Doing a fly-by and a landing are two totally different things and no pilot is stupid enough to use the autopilot on a fly-by the airplane didn't know what the pilot was doing and it cant force the pilot to land or do anything else unless it puts the aircraft in a danger situation. The pilot could have also used the TO/GA switch to get the aircraft out of any cycle it was in or could have shut off the autopilot (if it was on) fly by wire does not control the aircraft in the case of a landing thats the autopilots job. And who the heck revived this topic AGAIN. I thought we got to the point where we all agreed that both aircraft manufacturers are same probability for crash is the same and ends on pilot quality/ ATC/ Maintenance. Full stop Lowing I think you were fighting a stupid point saying the fly by wire was forcing the aircraft to land on a small strip. Aircraft have GPS systems, GPS systems have measurements in runway size etc. The APP switch has to be on with the Autopilot on with the Altitude and Heading switches off and the Nav switch on with the course and Nav frequencies set to make an aircraft attempt to land by itself.
Sorry buddy, I never not once said Airbus was junk because it was fly by wire. I said it was junk because I have worked on the damn things. I said it was junk because the major components are composite and are cracking out. Several other carriers have reported, upon inspection of the vertical attach fittings, cracked out mounts.

I said the aircraft was put in a configuration for landing, and then it did not respond to pilot inputs for a missed approach or a go around. Fly by wire has got nothing to do with it. The aircraft did not respond to pilot inputs.

I bow to the fact that we all have our opinions on this issue. The only difference between yours and mine is this. Mine is based on experience. Yours is based on what you read in your Plane and Pilot magazine. Or what you were told as you sit around the coffee table at the local airport, shooting the shit with the other general aviation pilots trying to build enough hours to move up into the heavies.

Also before you try and speak intelligently about auto pilots and auto landings, read up on CAT3c capabilities, and what is required for CAT3c operations. You will then sound like you know what you are talking about.

Last edited by lowing (2007-02-26 14:47:49)

usmarine2007
Banned
+374|6367|Columbus, Ohio
"The announcement by UPS comes four months after rival FedEx Corp. also scrapped its 10-plane order, and leaves Airbus with no orders for the superjumbo freighter...."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070302/ap_ … nce_airbus

Looks like they lost the cargo contract.  Sorry, but Airbus and its employees will be fucked by the decision to make the A380.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard