Heavy_Guns_91
I hand out purple hearts like candy
+72|6404|Alberta, Canada

motherdear wrote:

at the moment a new rifle is being issued in the us military in 2 years, it's the oicw and just passed testing, a bloody awsome rifle.

http://world.guns.ru/assault/as40-e.htm
I remember that rifle from DF:LW.
Krauser98
Extra Green Please!
+53|6830|USA! USA! USA!

IsaacLeavitt wrote:

plus you can rig it out with laser sights, compact stock, red dot scope, muzzle brakes and suppressors... pretty sweet shit...
All that fun stuff they show in movies?  It all looks so cool.   .   .   but it's almost always useless.  Read my story below about lasers, I'm tall and thus my arms are typically too long for any folding or compact stock, red dots don't do much at a distance and if you know your rifle you don't need a sight for up close, muzzle breaks / flash suppressors are the exception.

Here's my reasoning behind never buying a laser sight (it's long so don't read it if you aren't interested)...

Backstory:  A battalion sized group of reservists were activated to backfill my old unit right after 9/11/01.  My team was such that there were no people who were "assigned" and we held quarterly "tryouts".  If one person on the team didn't want you there you didn't get on the team.  We picked up about 4 reservists that were really great guys.  We had this crazy O3 who used to be enlisted and had about every tab you could think of and he worked us pretty hard, but it was fun.  Well he got snatched up by the Pentagon and the next thing we know there was some reservist placed in charge.  His first order of business was to bring us all together and create "nicknames."  That was f-ing retarded.  His name was "Hollywood" not because he was cool, but because everything he knew he learned from a movie.  Then he got his hands on our money for buying supplies.

He decided it would be really cool if we had laser sights on our pistols and then he was going to buy some for the rifles.  It was OK the first time we took them to the range, because each person was aiming at a dif target (that is once you got it zeroed).  Then we started training with them...  All the sudden there's a bunch of missed shots.  It was very odd, because a missed shot was rare and we had these fancy new lasers...  Why did we start to suck?  Because now when you aimed at the target as someone else you got more than one red dot and you didn't know whose was whose or if yours was even on it.  Also, people began to focus on the dot and not on the target.  Their use created a reliance on them and we lost our basic fundamentals within a single week of use.  Most of us found that our lasers "broke" and we quit using them.

Meh, that didn't come out as well as I was hoping, but I'm lazy tonight.

hate&discontent wrote:

I'm not saying you aim for the face, i said that it is about the size of your face (that's what I meant).  No way in hell you going to get a headshot with peep sights at 500 yards.  Center mass all the time, center ring.  I've been shooting since I was 7, and I'm gonna toot my own horn, I've taken alot of money from ppl who think that they can out shoot me, I almost feel bad shooting a tighter group with someone else's rifle, then taking their money............NOT.
Like I said, I'm not saying it's not possible.  I just know that I shoot better than most and have been a marksman in the Army and I don't find it easy to hit a man size target at 300 meters (I'm not saying I miss, but it's a ways away) much less at 450 meters.  I hope you aren't using one of those 25 meter targets with the scaled targets to simulate a target at specified distance.  Those don't count.

Edit: Added reply to H&D.

Last edited by Krauser98 (2006-12-07 19:25:03)

Ekfud
Infantry Whore
+42|6676|Kingswood Country

Fenris_GreyClaw wrote:

Mongoose wrote:

Enfield all the way!!!
Rule .303! Go the Lee!
Wonder if anyone else gets the Breaker Morant ref. Nice call.
TimmmmaaaaH
Damn, I... had something for this
+725|6440|Brisbane, Australia

aaahh krauser! everything is purple now from reading that green!
https://bf3s.com/sigs/5e6a35c97adb20771c7b713312c0307c23a7a36a.png
bob_6012
Resident M-14 fanatic
+59|6656|Lancaster Ohio, USA
Do I even have to say which one I like? I mean come on, it should be obvious what I think the best rifle is. I don't care if you have a scope on it or not, what kind of stock, whatever, M-14 all the way.
Vernedead
Cossack
+21|6234|Albion
has someone already said that theres no such thing as the best rifle? its the man that counts not the mechanics.
M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6223|Escea

OICW before it got split into the XM8 and XM25 grenade launcher, I like the XM8 and the M4, but there was something about this gun that said maximum firepower, would have been better if it were slightly less bulky though. Looks best with 30 round clip or Beta-C drum.
http://world.guns.ru/assault/as40-e.htm
ts-pulsar
+54|6503
FN FAL

Very reliable, easy to maintain, accurate, plenty of stopping power and is far more controllable than the M14 under full auto.

HK91 (G3) comes in with a close second, my only complaint with it is that it destroys the brass making reloading the brass a pain in the ass.
l41e
+677|6649

*=SAS=*DaRkAcE wrote:

Ak-47...Geez don't you people watch the military channel. They have all these best tank, rifle, bomber, fight, ect stuff on there. AK-47 was choosen by them as the number 1 rifle.
I do indeed watch the Military Channel, and I have a feeling you wouldn't be smart to take a T-34 up against an M1A2, Challenger 2, Leopard 2A6, Merkava, or any other modern MBT.
M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6223|Escea

I do indeed watch the Military Channel, and I have a feeling you wouldn't be smart to take a T-34 up against an M1A2, Challenger 2, Leopard 2A6, Merkava, or any other modern MBT.
Unless there were nobody in those tanks, but you'd still be there for the next month trying to blow them up.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard