Techworld
Banned
+17|6416
Is this a good degree?

What do you study in it? Is there any networking etc in it or is it all code?

Thanks
Greenboi
+14|6380
isnt that like the binary in huge detail and the code mainly?

I guess there would be networking in it, like how the data is transmitted (but im doing that currently on a national dipolma...) so im not 100% sure but it may go into a whole lot more detail
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6595|SE London

Will mostly be programming. Something like IT systems would focus more on networking. I did Computer Systems Engineering, that included most stuff, with slightly less emphasis on coding and more on hardware IC design/electronics and signal analysis.
Maxxxie74
+25|6584|Brisbane, Australia
Most computer science degrees focus on the "science" - getting your head around algorithms and subsequently coding it.  If you're looking for an education that will prepare you for network administration or support, the average computer science degree won't cut it.  An IT degree might have more exposure to this technology.  I'm currently doing a masters degree in networking and systems administration, and as you can expect, this is very much focussed on the networking side of things.

Many employers look for some form of undergraduate degree in a related discipline, but when all is said and done, you will probably get more value from going to a technical college and/or vendor-specific courses, eg MCSE, CCNA, A+ classes.

In short - a degree is only "good" if it focuses on what you want to do.  For me, a network nerd, a computer science degree is not the right choice.

Hope this helps.
Max.
Scorpion0x17
can detect anyone's visible post count...
+691|6779|Cambridge (UK)
As others have said, it's going to be largely programming. There should be some coverage of the hardware side of networking, but in-depth.

Also, you can't go by the name alone - it depends what university it's at and exactly what degree it is.

I did a BEng(hons) Software Engineering for Real-Time Systems degree and it covered far more mechanical, electrical and electronic engineering than it did software engineering!

As a general tip - you're in the UK, yes? If so, phone UCAS (or whoever they are now) and ask for prospectuses for Universities that you'd like to go to - they may even be able to give you prospectuses for just 'Universities that do computer science degrees' - the prospectuses should give some details about course syllabus and if you need to know more, just phone up the university in question...
dubbs
+105|6645|Lexington, KY
You should probally check out a Computer Engineering degree.  I know that I have a Associates in this, and we covered A+, Net+, and Cisco during the course.
Scorpion0x17
+691|6779|Cambridge (UK)
What I wonder about these A+, Net+ and Cisco type things is, well, why bother?

They teach you in-depth knowledge about things that will be obsolete well within 5-10years and any other CS/SE/HE/whatever degree is going to cover the theoretical groundwork that you need to then do any specific further research into these areas yourself.

In fact I'd say the most important 'qualification' required for anybody in any part of the IT industry is 'self-education' - IT is probably the fastest moving industry there is and you have to have the mindset of "education doesn't finish with school"...
san4
The Mas
+311|6702|NYC, a place to live
I really enjoyed taking CS classes, but it's really theoretical. It makes sense to take some CS, but if I were you, I'd make sure my degree had the word "engineering" in it.
JE3146
+109|6584|Oregon
I see CS as the easy way out. If you want a fun ride, take CpE, or if possible a new ECE degree with a focus on networking & signals. That'll get you in touch with data transmission and signal processing.

But before you do that... don't say I didn't warn you. It SUCKS.

I have 3, 300 level Signal & Systems courses to take. I've done 1 and it's enough to make me want to find a 5 story building to jump from. Reaches a level of math that I didn't want to know existed.

Personally I'm doing CpE.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6595|SE London

JE3146 wrote:

I see CS as the easy way out. If you want a fun ride, take CpE, or if possible a new ECE degree with a focus on networking & signals. That'll get you in touch with data transmission and signal processing.

I have 3, 300 level Signal & Systems courses to take. I've done 1 and it's enough to make me want to find a 5 story building to jump from. Reaches a level of math that I didn't want to know existed.

I know - I hate that stuff too.

Too many bloody transforms!!!!  Laplace, fourier, Z, they all do my head in. I hate anything to do with AC signal analysis. Just looking at the equations hurts my head. Actually doing the work makes me want to smash stuff and usually ends with a long trip down to the pub.
JE3146
+109|6584|Oregon

Bertster7 wrote:

JE3146 wrote:

I know - I hate that stuff too.

Too many bloody transforms!!!!  Laplace, fourier, Z, they all do my head in. I hate anything to do with AC signal analysis. Just looking at the equations hurts my head. Actually doing the work makes me want to smash stuff and usually ends with a long trip down to the pub.
Man I'm only through Laplace and Fourier..... now Z??

Please don't ruin the inevitable surprise lmao......

+1 for you for knowing the pain....
Scorpion0x17
+691|6779|Cambridge (UK)
Is Z a kind of transform or you talking about Z the formal spec language? Z the formal spec language made my brain want to dribble out of my ear... in fact, come to think of it, I've never been quite the same since...

Edit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Z-transform - aah... I see... I think I'll go back to thinking it might be a formal spec language now...

Last edited by Scorpion0x17 (2006-12-06 13:02:14)

JE3146
+109|6584|Oregon

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

Is Z a kind of transform or you talking about Z the formal spec language? Z the formal spec language made my brain want to dribble out of my ear... in fact, come to think of it, I've never been quite the same since...
After looking in my book, he means Z transforms.

Which all I have to now say is...... "here we go again".....

Computer Engineering...... Greek for "assisted suicide"
Scorpion0x17
+691|6779|Cambridge (UK)
yeah, see my edit...
JE3146
+109|6584|Oregon

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

yeah, see my edit...
Go wiki fourier and laplace while you're at it

Then the word LTI
Techworld
Banned
+17|6416
lol.... so.. electronic engineering...

Year 1

* Circuit Theory
    * Circuit Design
    * Microelectronics 1
    * Electromagnetism
    * Introduction to Communications
    * Modelling and Analysis
    * Mathematical Methods
    * Algorithm Design
    * Digital Circuits and Design 1
    * Computer Systems 1
    * Systems Software and Architecture
    * Professional Perspectives

Year 2

* Digital Circuits 2
    * Microelectronics 2
    * Optoelectronics
    * Advanced Modelling and Analysis
    * Computer Systems 2
    * Communications Systems
    * Data Communications and Networks
    * Sensors and Instrumentation
    * Image Processing and Computer Vision
    * Operating Systems and Concurrency
    * Project Planning and Management
    * Enterprise Project

Year 3

* Microelectronics 3
    * Control Systems
    * Further Transforms
    * Real-Time Systems (BEng only)
    * Business Process Re-engineering (MEng only)
    * Individual Project
    * VLSI Design Principles
    * Information and Coding for Comms
    * Optical Communications
    * Data Networks and Distributed Systems

what do you think?

Computer systems + Communications :

Year 1

* Introduction to Communications
    * Java Programming 1
    * Java Programming 2
    * Systems Software and Architecture
    * Computer Systems 1
    * Mathematics for Software
    * Modelling and Analysis
    * Algorithm Design
    * Digital Circuits and Design 1
    * Circuit Theory
    * Circuit Design
    * Professional Perspectives

Year 2

* Digital Circuits 2
    * Optoelectronics
    * Java Programming 3
    * Advanced Software Design
    * Computer Systems 2
    * Data Structures and Algorithms
    * Communications Systems
    * Data Communications and Networks
    * Image Processing and Computer Vision
    * Operating Systems and Concurrency
    * Project Planning and Management
    * Software Hut

Year 3

* Real-Time Systems
    * Parallel Algorithms and Architectures
    * Business Process Re-engineering (MEng only)
    * Pattern Recognition and Neural Networks
    * Individual Project
    * VLSI Design Principles
    * Information and Coding for Comms
    * Optical Communications
    * Data Networks and Distributed Systems
    * Software Engineering and Formal Methods (BEng only)

Year 4

* MEng Team Project
    * Introduction to Computer Graphics
    * Advanced Computer Arithmetic and Number Representation
    * Architectures for Digital Numerical Hardware
    * Digital Design Flow 1: Logic Synthesis and Verification
    * Digital Design Flow 2: Floorplanning, Placement and Routing

Which sounds better?
JE3146
+109|6584|Oregon
Why are they 3 year schools?

Year round?

Are these accredited schools that will get you a BS?
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6595|SE London

JE3146 wrote:

Why are they 3 year schools?

Year round?

Are these accredited schools that will get you a BS?
It's a BSc or BEng over here. Or you can do a 4 year course for an MSc/MEng.

@Techworld:
Go for the 4 year course. Uni is fun, it's best to prolong it. Put off functioning in the real world as long as possible.

They both look very similar, but the MEng will get you more money after you finish. Which you'll need to pay off that whoping great student loan.
a_fraudulent_miracle
+7|6729|MoVal, Southern California
I wanted to do computer science at my school... and after completing only 2 courses of C++ programming, i bailed out. For me, it was too hard, and the amount of time spent out of class was spent trying to complete the programming assignments. And most of the assignments were based heavily off of each other, so if i didn't know how to fully understand program 1, i was screwed for the other assignments thereafter. I'm just not cut out for it. I didn't know that CS was more about the programming than the hands-on stuff.

Right now i'm working on Business Administration.
Techworld
Banned
+17|6416
lol thats what im afraid of... does that computer systems and communications one look ok?
Scorpion0x17
+691|6779|Cambridge (UK)
They both look good.

Here's the big question you need to be asking yourself - what do you want to for a career after Uni?

And be specific - 'something with computers' won't cut it - as you're finding out the IT industry is a big big industry with lots of different sub-trades within it, all of which require slightly different core skill sets.

So, what do you want to do?
EVieira
+105|6492|Lutenblaag, Molvania
I graduated as a CS major in 2002. Both the courses that you presented have the same network and communications classes, just in different years. If you are interested in the hardware and configuration of networks, such as signaling, electronic circuits of routers, cabling, subnetworks, VPNs, etc... I would go for the electronic engineering.

If you are more interested in protocols, distributed systems, network programing, network security and internet then go for the CS.

But in both cases, network will be only a part of the course. There will be lots of math, theory, etc of things that aren't related at all to network. Backing up whatever university degree you choose with certifications from CISCO or other network related companies will greatly increase you curriculum.

Last edited by EVieira (2006-12-07 02:25:15)

"All truths are easy to understand once they are discovered;  the point is to discover them."
Galileo Galilei  (1564-1642)
Techworld
Banned
+17|6416
Did you find CS hard? Alot of work?

Can you give some examples of what you had to do etc..
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6785|PNW

Techworld wrote:

Is this a good degree?

What do you study in it? Is there any networking etc in it or is it all code?

Thanks
Programming and large-scale networking are great fields. I have an AA in Media Design/Production, but it's damn competitive.
adv3rsary
+28|6729
was my major before i changed it to business

i wouldnt recommend it unless you have a LOT of patience, can cram a lot of info into your head and be ready to expect that you dont know anything about the subject despite whatever you may think you know...

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard