Poll

Which sniper type do you think is better?

Bolt77%77% - 182
Semi auto22%22% - 54
Total: 236
arnica
+18|6705|Sydney
My arty is my sniper ... dodge this!!!!
Todd_Angelo
Leukocyte
+336|6652|Warlord

killer21 wrote:

I don't snipe on Karkand.  I only snipe on Jalalabad and maybe Surge and/or Mass Destruction.
Stretch yourself dude. Oh and play more large maps while you're at it

killer21 wrote:

II think I have a pretty good ratio with a sniper rifle considering I just started sniping last month on a regular basis.
You're a captain, I'd bloody hope that after 600 hours play if you begin to snipe your stats for the rifle wouldn't suck. I'm surprised your accuracy is 'only' 50% though, I would have expected it to be higher.
General Breetai
+23|6581

Jemme101 wrote:

Those rubbish tables by Duck have been around longer than you have been playing this game.
And the story's about the earth being the center of the sol system have been around for more than 2000 years. What does this prove ? Nonsense doesn't get credibility because its old nonsense.
Between my public accounts and clanmatches I must have played over 2000 hours in this game.
Then you must really have a problem with your senses. I find it totally absurd to discuss something which is so clearly, but okay:
- How many shots can you fire with your M24 in a minute ?
- How long do you think the M24 needs for the bolt to reload ?
- If you agree that the M24-Shooter has 5 Shots per clip and you have 7 clips (correct me if I'm wrong), how long would such a sniper need to empty his ammo with a rate of fire of 600 per minute ?
(Btw. if you really have 2000 hours in a game which has been around about two years, you really need a life to attend to.)
You were correcting James-M-II with numbers to back up your story. If you do so you better make sure they are correct before misinforming him and others.
There are two differences. The first thing, my mistake is neglectable, it doesn't change anything for the fact how many shots you need for a target. Your error is absurd in its nature. The second thing is, that I don't have any problem admitting my error, I make dozens of them every day. But I don't insult people and lose my temper.
The 'claims' are not mine and neither do I have to prove them. The feedback by the posters in that thread and the updates by Black_Duck_1 is all I need.
Then I would consider finding people who backup your "not mine" claims. I would really wonder how many people agree to a rate of fire of 600 in a bolt action gun.
When and where I will ask him about the 600 number is for me to decide and not some douche like you.
And if you think that insults prove your point better, than maybe we should stop the debate at this point.
Jemme101
M24 Abuser
+99|6526|Valley of the Dragons

General Breetai wrote:

And if you think that insults prove your point better, than maybe we should stop the debate at this point.
There is no debate, because you cannt even read what somebody else posts ...

Jemme101 wrote:

Chillin&killin wrote:

Jemme101 wrote:

According to [DUCKS]Black_Duck_1 it will take less time for the Bolts to make a Kill then the Semi's.
hmm it also says you can get 600 rounds a min with m24,m95 and l96a1
I am not sure if that was tested by him. It looks more like a spec from the game data. Some sort of reference or something. A cyclic rate couldnt be tested in any case with the rifle in my opinion. I was thinking about asking him this same question.

General Breetai wrote:

Btw. if you really have 2000 hours in a game which has been around about two years, you really need a life to attend to.
Wow you are so the original. Did you invent t3h InterNatz? If I need a life you need a brain and a pair of glasses.

Getting 2000 hours in just over 1,5 years (yes again you are wrong, june 30th 2005 was release date) is nothing.

You are not posting anything worthwhile reading anymore so keep living in your E-bubble. Its funny to see morons like you here who fail at logic and reading so blatantly
Towelly
It's A State Of Mind
+399|6616|Your attic
No Jemme, you just got your ass handed to you...

Grow some balls and admit it.

Anyway, if you must use a sniper rifle atleast use a semi-auto... you can call it a M1 with a scope, you don't look so retarded that way.
Longbow
+163|6672|Odessa, Ukraine
SVD.Headshots. /end
dodge_this(fr)
Raving Rabbit
+26|6715|The Hague, Netherlands
L96 with a good card sound and 7.1 sound system is just awesome for your ears
Phantom2828
+51|6553|Land of the free
I need to try the L96
Ben>You
+90|6551
If you tards really believe that the L9 and M95 > SVD or the chink one, w/e the fuck it's called, you really are BF2s nubs.
Todd_Angelo
Leukocyte
+336|6652|Warlord

Ben>You wrote:

If you tards really believe that the L9 and M95 > SVD or the chink one, w/e the fuck it's called, you really are BF2s nubs.
Nice, insulting dozens of members who snipe more than you do I think and while you were at it you managed to sneak in a racist epithet. Go you.

At range M24/L96A1 > SVD or Type 88 almost any day, in almost all hands... and closer, often. Only toe-to-toe do the semi-autos have a major edge.

And M95 > SVD is sometimes a bet worth making, despite the Barrett's limitations.
[GS]ChrONOtriGGeR
Banned
+4|6597

eagles1106 wrote:

K wanna play me?  My ak101/m16 against your little unlocks, lets go right now.

Ill be at 24/7 H2k Jalalabad server, im going there right now.

lol eagles stfu you noob
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6526|so randum
K wanna play me?  My ak101/m16 against your little unlocks, lets go right now.

Ill be at 24/7 H2k Jalalabad server, im going there right now.

You honestly think a m16/ak1o1 has a chance against a sniper rifle at range? you sir, lose
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
Roger Lesboules
Ah ben tabarnak!
+316|6603|Abitibi-Temiscamingue. Québec!
Well i love pretty much all sniper...just aim the head and they are all good...but my personal choice is the l96 when i can have it...

Bolt For My Victory....use anything else you want for your!
Drunk_Musketeer
To be honest I don't care anyway..
+57|6763|Great Wall

Todd_Angelo wrote:

At range M24/L96A1 > SVD or Type 88 almost any day, in almost all hands... and closer, often. Only toe-to-toe do the semi-autos have a major edge.
I think you've never met a decent semi auto sniper. At very long range I agree M24 is better.. it's because of better zoom in bolt type.. but at range from 150m  to 110m they are equal.. and at range <110m semi autos own. Now think what is usually a distance betwen you and a target when you play the game and you will know which sniper rifle type is better in BF2.

Todd_Angelo wrote:

You're a captain, I'd bloody hope that after 600 hours play if you begin to snipe your stats for the rifle wouldn't suck. I'm surprised your accuracy is 'only' 50% though, I would have expected it to be higher.
Accuracy says nothing about who's better sniper.. For example this guy.. geir_63 http://bf2s.com/player/75618565/ (13th place in sniper accuracy.. is that mean he's better than you).. Look who's his worst enemy.. Maybe that is an eye opener. I shoot at absolutely anything.. running, driving, flying targets and I don't give a damn that I miss more because of that.. I kill those targets very often. And there are lots of snipers who do exactly same.

Last edited by Drunk_Musketeer (2006-12-09 13:32:38)

kylef
Gone
+1,352|6519|N. Ireland
I'm accustomed to lining up my shot very carefully, and one shot - the pink mist.

I'm not a fan of the "fire fire fire fire fire fire fire fire fire fire reload fire fire.." and so on.
Jemme101
M24 Abuser
@Drunk_Musketeer; so which Sniper Rifle did you use on Dragon Valley and Wake Island?
killer21
Because f*ck you that's why.
+400|6616|Reisterstown, MD

Todd_Angelo wrote:

I came from BHD where you had to select your range on your scope.  Thus, when I first started playing BF2, I was unaware how to judge how far someone was from me.  So most times, I would aim head high no matter the difference.  Suffice to say, I didn't do all that well..Now?  Well..yea.
Drunk_Musketeer
To be honest I don't care anyway..
+57|6763|Great Wall

Jemme101 wrote:

@Drunk_Musketeer; so which Sniper Rifle did you use on Dragon Valley and Wake Island?
If I play as sniper then..
USMC - M24
PLA - Type 88
.. but usually it rather will be ERYX/SRAW or AK/GP-30 you see I don't play on IO servers so I don't play as a sniper all the time. Which class I choose depends on situation on a map. If you gonna camp somewhere on a hill far away from flags or shoot at those poor people on a carrier like many snipers do then yes.. choose bolt action sniper rifle. I'm not saying that bolt action sniper rifles are bad or something.
On IO servers there are a few maps where bolt action would be better.. like Dragon and Wake probably because of lot of open space and not many places to hide and go closer to the target. But in other maps (like city maps) where you cannot just keep the distance semi auto owns.

Last edited by Drunk_Musketeer (2006-12-09 19:58:30)

General Breetai
+23|6581

Drunk_Musketeer wrote:

I think you've never met a decent semi auto sniper.
That may be because there aren't so many. In fact the only ones I met were in SF on an IO Map. Most ppl. prefer the bolt action and only beginners without unlocks go for the semi-autos.
Now think what is usually a distance between you and a target when you play the game and you will know which sniper rifle type is better in BF2.
True. But this totally depends on your playing stile. You can sit back and snipe from long range, then there will be no need for fast shooting.
MesOne35
+2|6397

Parker wrote:

bolt action.......in the game and real life.....extreme accuracy can only be obtained with a bolt action.....lol i say that as i look over at my springfield m1a (semi)....maybe i should look into getting a 700......
700 is the way to go

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h52/1 … ix_005.jpg

^mine
alien-DSW-Gen
Hates snipers and says the "F" word a lot
+72|6699|Houston, Texas
Depends on the situation. if you are camping a building, bolt action. if you are running around being active, you want that semi-auto incase you get ran up on.
some_random_panda
Flamesuit essential
+454|6416

I'm awful at aiming, and semi-auto gives me the extra shot to finish the job if I miss.

Bolt action's nice, but power is useless if your bullet doesn't make contact with the target.
Todd_Angelo
Leukocyte
+336|6652|Warlord

Drunk_Musketeer wrote:

Todd_Angelo wrote:

I think you've never met a decent semi auto sniper.
Yep. General Breetai beat me to the comment but they must be pretty thin on the ground. I don't say you can't do well with them (plastic_budgie's, the_black_rat(ss)'s and dont_be_ss's vids show what you can do) and that's why I said "M24/L96A1 > SVD or Type 88 almost any day, in almost all hands".

Drunk_Musketeer wrote:

...but at range from 150m  to 110m they are equal.
Depends on the users

Drunk_Musketeer wrote:

...and at range <110m semi autos own.
Again, only in the right hands. I've defeated numerous snipers in SF armed with the SVD who got the first hit.

Drunk_Musketeer wrote:

Now think what is usually a distance betwen you and a target when you play the game and you will know which sniper rifle type is better in BF2.
I play as a combat sniper and my general range is actually relatively short. Take SF for example, Warlord's my favourite map (no surprise there) and the max visibility is 100m pretty much.

The kind of distances I'm talking about in the last point are the bell tower to the roof of the building to the west (the one with a fire escape), or the width of a street. From what I can remember I don't think I'm exaggerating to say I can count on my fingers how many times I've been hit three times quickly enough to kill me without the chance to dodge, hide or return fire (not including a second player getting me). This is since I started to snipe almost exclusively, so maybe the last 300 hours across accounts.

Drunk_Musketeer wrote:

Todd_Angelo wrote:

Accuracy says nothing about who's better sniper..
It doesn't saying nothing; but viewed in isolation it is of little use when trying to gauge a sniper on the basis of their stats.

If the guy has insane accuracy but his KPM is low then it's pretty clear he's cherrypicking shots, as well as probably hanging back/camping on a rooftop being sod all use to his team That's your example player in a nutshell: geir_63's kills/time is around 19, which is way low (anything less than 30 is sub-par, good snipers have rates in excess of 40 and 50 typically).

On the other hand if the accuracy is high (upper 40s to 50s appears to be the right level for regular snipers) and the kill rate and KDR are both good it points to a superior player as a rule, since the ability to reliably hit targets ...and kill them... is key to being dominant in the role. Kill assists count, but not as much.

While we're on the subject of not looking at stats superficially, another something to look at is the total time as sniper over the time with the sniper rifle: the number this gives is some pointer to whether the KDR is 'natural' or not, although unfortunately there's then some guesswork involved due to potential vehicle use.

killer21 wrote:

I came from BHD where you had to select your range on your scope.  Thus, when I first started playing BF2, I was unaware how to judge how far someone was from me.  So most times, I would aim head high no matter the difference.  Suffice to say, I didn't do all that well..Now?  Well..yea.
Sort of similar problem here: I had habits formed from maybe 1,000 hours of UT where there's no bullet drop, not to mention many many hours in Ghost Recon, and Delta Force back in the day. I wasn't criticising your accuracy BTW, 50% is still up there, I just expected yours to be a little higher (mid-50s or so).
killer21
Because f*ck you that's why.
+400|6616|Reisterstown, MD

Todd_Angelo wrote:

Sort of similar problem here: I had habits formed from maybe 1,000 hours of UT where there's no bullet drop, not to mention many many hours in Ghost Recon, and Delta Force back in the day. I wasn't criticising your accuracy BTW, 50% is still up there, I just expected yours to be a little higher (mid-50s or so).
True.  It could be higher.  I hope to get it around 60 percent before I move on from sniping but I doubt it.  Bad hit reg rears its ugly head sometimes.
Jemme101
M24 Abuser
I prefer shooting with a Bolt Action, from a prone position out at 200 - 250 meters the most.
I uploaded my latest sheets some weeks ago Prone , Crouching , Standing.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard