Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6403|North Carolina
In response to Gunslinger's comment in another thread, this is for discussing what led to our victory back during the Revolutionary War.

Personally, I think allying with France and the time that it took to cross the Atlantic greatly aided our ability to defeat the British.

What do you guys think?
Stealth42o
She looked 18 to me officer
+175|6670
Read: A People's History of the United States: 1492-Present 
by Howard Zinn
WilhelmSissener
Banned
+557|6731|Oslo, Norway
I'm gonna go with france!
GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6642

Stealth42o wrote:

by Howard Zinn
read and have a copy of it within arms reach. great book btw.  any particular chapter?
GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6642
one could say that Americans wanted to be a nation more than Britain wanted to keep her as a colony.

But France did help, quite bit I think.  I love the revolutionary war era, seriously.  But I think it all boyles down to the Continental Army.  Not for their victories, but for their defeats and the fact that they remained, for the most part, hopeful and loyal even when all was lost.  Britain should have won given the numbers and experience.  Attrition is a motherfucker.

Last edited by GunSlinger OIF II (2006-12-02 15:55:26)

SealXo
+309|6534
I studied this recently.

We didn't really "defeat" the british, we just scared them off.... sorta

Its like saying "how did the charlies beat us?"
no they didnt beat us we just left.

the reason for britans retreat was because of different rebellions that scared british tax collectors off

but MAINLY after the battle of trenton, where the US started winning battles.

THEN, we allied with france, france held the coast with the navy and then we siezed there supplies..

Ask yourself
how did we win over germany
we cut off there supplies
if we didnt cut of the Train tracks and navy then id be speaking german right now
sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6755|Argentina
I find some Americans to be ungrateful to France, making fun of them surrendering, when they were the key factor in the American Revolutionary War.  And I think they were the first country to recognize US Independence.
PspRpg-7
-
+961|6696

We used 1337 hax.
GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6642

sergeriver wrote:

I find some Americans to be ungrateful to France, making fun of them surrendering, when they were the key factor in the American Revolutionary War.  And I think they were the first country to recognize US Independence.
the french are the ungrateful ones.  the stunts degaulle pulled when he became top dog.  pretty much abandoning us at the height of the cold war.  fuck the french, the 50's and 60's are lost more recent than 1779.

and anyways, the french didnt help us for sake of the revolutionary fight.  they helped us just to spite their long time rivals.  Marquise de Lafayette was an adventure and military man (in reality had no kind of title of noblity like Marquise, he was just an entrepeneur) who had to beg and pleade with the french royal court for a token force to send in support.  the royals were very hesitant and only decided to send an armada only after they were certain that britain was going to lose.

Last edited by GunSlinger OIF II (2006-12-02 16:03:43)

dubbs
+105|6630|Lexington, KY
I have to say that the French helped a lot in the war.  They basically allowed the US to fight the land war, because they were fighting the British Navy.  This slowed down the amount of troops that could reinforce those already in America.  Also, Spain helped out some, so you had two of the stronger world powers attacking the strongest at the time.  Most of this was because they wanted to make Britian weaker, and that they both had interest in America.  The Spanish wanted to expand further North and France wanted to go farther South.

I know that in 1812, the US was basically defeated.  Britian had burned Washington, DC, and in the most part over ran the US.  Most people consider this war a draw, because the US basically got what they set out for in the start of the war. 

Trivia for you, the USS Essex was a part of the 1812 war.  The first US ship that was named USS Essex.  Also, this is probally when the British Navy started to decline, since the 20 year old US Navy, won a large amount of battles in this war.
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6403|North Carolina

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

one could say that Americans wanted to be a nation more than Britain wanted to keep her as a colony.

But France did help, quite bit I think.  I love the revolutionary war era, seriously.  But I think it all boyles down to the Continental Army.  Not for their victories, but for their defeats and the fact that they remained, for the most part, hopeful and loyal even when all was lost.  Britain should have won given the numbers and experience.  Attrition is a motherfucker.
I agree for the most part, and it seems to parallel with our forces versus the insurgents in Iraq.  The insurgents are far more fanatical than we are.  They have nothing to lose, and we have everything to lose.  This is why we're slowly moving away from Iraq.  We've figured out that Iraq really isn't worth our time or money.
zeidmaan
+234|6413|Vienna

americans joined squads and had a good commander.

ps. you have to expect a certain ammount of usseless replies...
Stealth42o
She looked 18 to me officer
+175|6670

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

Stealth42o wrote:

by Howard Zinn
read and have a copy of it within arms reach. great book btw.  any particular chapter?
Awesome book, very educational.  No particular chapter, whole damn book is great.  Would have to look threw it to find which chapter is pertains for this thread.
Commie Killer
+192|6385

sergeriver wrote:

France has changed a hell of a lot.
Sgt_Sieg
"Bow Chicka Bow Wow." The correct way.
+89|6773
Actually, the when the French showed up the Northern phase of the war was already won by America. The Americans fought in the South while the French Navy stayed up north and played slap-fight with British Ships. Overall the French didn't really that huge of an impact on the war. The fact that they became an ally did a lot more mentally to the British than it did physically.
CommieChipmunk
+488|6568|Portland, OR, USA

Stealth42o wrote:

by Howard Zinn
My US History Teacher loves that book...
R0lyP0ly
+161|6652|USA

sergeriver wrote:

i though the US was one of the first to recognize US independence?

Wasn't Saratoga the turning point?

***The British policy of salutary neglect, combined with their rash methods or reinstanting crown control, combined with Americas "touchy-feely"ness; that is what caused the Revolution***
R0lyP0ly
+161|6652|USA
Also this-- French didnt join the War to help the Americans, they joined the war to hurt the British. France was a little self-righteous too, whatwithall their asking for US support the ensuing years.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6599|132 and Bush

Guerrilla warfare and help from the French, kinda Ironic I know.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Ender2309
has joined the GOP
+470|6569|USA

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

Stealth42o wrote:

by Howard Zinn
ewwwwwww...i have to read that fucking book for my AP us class. i hate it. he has such a fucking monotonous writing style. not to mention most of it is america bashing.
CommieChipmunk

Ender2309 wrote:

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

Stealth42o wrote:

by Howard Zinn
ewwwwwww...i have to read that fucking book for my AP us class. i hate it. he has such a fucking monotonous writing style. not to mention most of it is america bashing.
Not America bashing, truth telling... slight difference
good book though, i read it in my AP US class last year....

EDIT: but to actually answer your question

They were fighting a defensive war, kind of think about it like Iraq.  They don't have to win, they're fighting a defensive war.  Kind of the same deal, the Americans just had to drive them out. (easier said then done obviously but you get the basic idea)

Last edited by CommieChipmunk (2006-12-03 00:07:23)

Ender2309
has joined the GOP
+470|6569|USA

Stealth42o wrote:

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

Stealth42o wrote:

by Howard Zinn
Awesome book, very educational.  No particular chapter, whole damn book is great.  Would have to look threw it to find which chapter is pertains for this thread.
chapters 4-6 six, my friend.

and i still hate that book.
Ender2309
has joined the GOP
+470|6569|USA

CommieChipmunk wrote:

Ender2309 wrote:

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

no,

whether or not he's telling the truth isn't the issue. its the WAY he tells that's america bashing.
CommieChipmunk

Ender2309 wrote:

CommieChipmunk wrote:

Ender2309 wrote:

no,

whether or not he's telling the truth isn't the issue. its the WAY he tells that's america bashing.
I see where you're coming from... but the truth is the truth
Ender2309
has joined the GOP
+470|6569|USA

CommieChipmunk wrote:

Ender2309 wrote:

CommieChipmunk wrote:

no,

I see where you're coming from... but the truth is the truth
yeah, i'm the kind of person who will argue with you about anything, just because of the way you say it. regardless of whether or not i agree with you.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard