Stags
+26|6656
@Plum_11: You fail.  I never meant that all the Ocean would be frozen but a good deal of it won't be there.  As more of the earth's water is frozen the sea level will drop revealing more land.  Also if this was the snowball earth affect I was talking about most of the earth's oceans would be frozen over.

That was the point I was making.
xm20k
+11|6361
The ocean level will drop as it freezes over, think frozen lake effect, the water underneath will not however freeze as it has currents and moving water wont freeze easily this is amplified buy the fact it is salt water.

The drop in the level of the worlds oceans will be insignificant due to the shear volume compared to the land mass that extends out of it.

I believe for the world to only have that one small area of ice free ocean and land would probably entail the earth stop revolving and that one spot is were the sun ended up being concentrated this would add a whole lot of other major problems the largest being gravity. other wise if the earth was still rotating as it should be there would be a belt of mild weather at the closest point to the sun the equator.
Dex Luther
+32|6438|Canukastan
Doesn't water EXPAND as it freezes?

Doperwt. wrote:

Dex Luther wrote:

xm20k wrote:

Mabey true of small bodies of water or with little to no movement but the ocean currents keep it from freezing. The surface could freeze over but the water below would remain unfrozen. It is a lot colder at the ocean floor at the polar caps than -7.6 degrees F. IIRC.
I'm sure during an ice age the temperatures drop WAY below -22ºC. Heck, during NORMAL Canadian winters the temperature often drops to double that (-40ºC).

I'd estimate that if the planet was going through an ice age the temperatures would be closer to -100ºC if not lower. Otherwise, as other have said, people would just buy some snow tires, a snow blower, and get on with life.

For an event like this to cause a war, it has to be more devastating than anything we could adapt easily too. For some cold weather and ice to be that devastating I think we're looking at temperatures that would make all those people who use the "It'll be a cold day in Hell before..." expression sweat.

I profess, it's possible that not all the water in the oceans would freeze, but I think we're still talking about ice hundreds of kilometers thick.
Well During an Iceage the temperatures are not so much colder then they are now. The difference between winter and summer becomes closer. We are running up to an Iceage again. The Icemasses on the northpole are melting, swifting the path of hot currents of water. The watertemeperature by Europe will change causing a change in the climate. A new Iceage is born.
Mankind has survivad Iceages
According to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ice_age, by definition we are still in an ice age (because of Greenland and crap). We are coming out of it, which is probably why the world is heating up each year. So the effects of "Global warming" might be natural effects.

I'm not saying human activity isn't damaging the Earth, but it might not be as bad as "experts" are making it out to be.

Last edited by Dex Luther (2006-12-03 22:05:17)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard