Absinthe
+18|6756
Hey
sorry for the crude title, but this describes how I feel right now.

WHY, oh why people are voting against "playing" commanders ?
I am a good commander, helps allot to my entire team. I switch to engineer if needed, and support. That truely help the battle for my team. Almost every time I decide to take an active role of the commander, Almost on the spot I see folks voting a mutiny against me. I never got turned away from my position (succesful mutiny vote) but HEY !! it removes ll the fun of being an acting commander.

As you can see in my stats - and please do, I tend the commanding position quite often. And as you can see also, I think I'm performing *good* as a commander (I havent got that much commander score - around 7K, but thats becuase I'm only 50 hrs as one).

I want to open a discussion, that will clear this thing once and for all..
lets see what you folks think of that. I bet this happens to ya'll commanders.
I am aware of the fact that commanders should stay behind and mannage the battle. But what if a commander is acting outstanding both as a commander AND a soldier ? what then ??
*ToRRo*cT|
Spanish Sniper-Wh0re
+199|6743|Malaga, España
it,s not that ur bad, some other people just whoring about the 2x at the end of the round if u should win. they would even Teamkill you for that
tF-voodoochild
Pew Pew!
+216|6848|San Francisco

Well, perhaps you are some sort of exception, but when I am commander it takes up pretty much all of my time to continuously scan the map and place uav's and drop supplies and warn my teammates of incoming troops/tanks/choppers/etc. Sitting in the commander screen is a full time job, there is always something to do, which makes me wonder how you could possibly manage to be an outstanding commander AND soldier all at the same time.
GTKtino
+0|6770
I think its simple, if you want that commander role to be the commander as you said, then STICK to it!!!!

its the same if ; an assault soldier would go into battle and look for a dead medic to get their kit and revive. See what Iam saying, of course youre helping out, but your not sticking to your role.

and being commander , there are so many things to do constantly that I dont think theres time for you to play other roles.
C.Keen
Aliens Ate My Babysitter
+0|6809|UK
I have nothing against somewhat active commanders as long as they are doing their job as a commander (and generally only on small servers). I've just come from a 32-player server where the commander did nothing for the team, ignored all UAV and supply requests. It is probably encounters with shit arse commanders like this that jade people against active commanders of any kind. Fair play if you can do both, but I doubt you can. A commander has to firstly take care of commander duties, and I don't think you can properly do that whilst trying to muck in on the front lines.

Last edited by C.Keen (2005-11-24 13:51:32)

Absinthe
+18|6756
check my commander score vs the time Ive played as a commander, and calculate.. 

I reply a go to all requests if they are availble. I send orders to squads, I warn them both vocally and visually of incoming enemies and arty zones. Its just makes me feel there are allot of kids playing the game that have fun voting a mutiny. this sucks.

Last edited by Absinthe (2005-11-24 13:41:13)

GTKtino
+0|6770

Absinthe wrote:

and your point is????
:]-[: El_Shiznit
+3|6749|Florida
I do find it quite annoying when the commander is in a jet or helicopter.  Any other vehicle is fine in my book.

I have a standard I keep for myself when commanding.  (around) 20 people or less in the server, I will fight and command.  More than 25, I will usually sit back and command unless the team sucks.  That being said, I ALWAYS defend the base I'm at if there are guys there using whatever I can get.

Never been mutinied, but many have tried.  But mainly because they run into my arty and blame it on me.

Last edited by :]-[: El_Shiznit (2005-11-24 13:41:38)

C.Keen
Aliens Ate My Babysitter
+0|6809|UK

Absinthe wrote:

Dude, if your score per minute was at all impressive I'd agree with you, but it's 1.27,. That includes all your commander time so it's nothing to shout about.

As GTKtino right said, if you're going to be commander, be commander. Do that job and concentrate on it. Don't fuck about on the field trying to be Rambo. The thing is, without realising it you're probably be doing really gimpy things like dropping supply crates for yourself when they would really be more beneficial elsewhere.
Mario-C
+0|6743|Wellington Nz
playing commanders suck.End.Its a full time job and no one can possibly claim they can do both
=Y.R.A=Monkey
+0|6733
Gotta agree with tF-voodoochild. Command screen is fulltime for me too, the warnings can be a little annoying but there is no denying that they help. Someone always needs something, ammo, health, uav whatever. Being up to your neck in enemy infantry stops you being an (more) effective commander.
imdead
Death StatPadder
+228|6769|Human Meat Shield
Yep, same here, had this topic before where a commanders role should be or not to be fighting.  No matter what server or people I sit back and drink....coffee... and look what going on. A dead commander is a useless commander.  I notice some people don't like when I call out to other groups not in the UAV that there is infantry spotted, why is that?
hanse81
+0|6734
At first I was a camping commander then I switched to active command and now I am camping again
I have read so many places that the bigger part of the players want the commander to stay put. When you are playing Wake and none of the team players manage to capture a flag I sometimes have to play active just to get out the frustration of seeing players try to do the same time after time. I think some players lack fantasy to try things the enemy don't expect... I once got the flag at airport on Wake only 30sec after the game started palying UMEC. You just need some fantasy, some luck, some skill and the result is awesome
Nemesis-SBS-
+9|6838|6,000 ft & falling......weeeee
so its only the commander who gets the x2 bonus???
C.Keen
Aliens Ate My Babysitter
+0|6809|UK

Nemesis-SBS- wrote:

so its only the commander who gets the x2 bonus???
It's only the winning commander who gets a 2x bonus on their commander score. You don't get 2x on your points gained outside of being a commander, so if you had 100 points and went commander at the last second, you'd get 100 points.
Dilligas
+6|6782

*ToRRo*cT| wrote:

it,s not that ur bad, some other people just whoring about the 2x at the end of the round if u should win. they would even Teamkill you for that
That is the only reasson....point whores. I run around and kill, defend, and cap even when I get no points for it just for my team...then some asshole wants to kick me.
This is what I do when a vote it going.
Select ALL of your squads and tell them that UAV, Supplies, Arty is there for them. That shows a good amount of people that you are trying to help, and hand out orders.  I have yet been voted out while doing the above.
Good luck.
KB77Hell
+0|6739|T.O. Canada
I've gotta go with the majority on this one...commanders should stay put as it's definitely a full time job.  There's a lot of shit going on at all times and as imdead said, a dead commander is a useless commander.  The only exception should be to repair your trailers and arty should they be destroyed.
-=|BW|=-Hollow_Moon
+5|6755
If im commander the most exciting movements I make, are repairing commander assets, defending the flag im working at (usualy an uncappable). Other than that its constant battlefield survielance & help for all those players who rely on your eye in the sky & helping hand.

Dont take the position away from someone who could do a better job & take the role more seriously.
Sure on a small server or a server with very few people.
:]-[: El_Shiznit
+3|6749|Florida
I still say that on a smaller server, the commander should be fighting.  One person makes a big difference then.  Use all commands except scan by pressing "T".  Doing that saves a lot of time and it's just as effective if done right.
Rick_O_Shea678
Angry Engy
+95|6753
I'm pretty sure my win/loss ratio in games with a "playing" commander is about 1:3.  Esp. if we have no uncap bases.  If all your bases are cap'able and you are running around with a gun, you will lose against any competent opponents.  Your name could be Blazin.UK, and you still won't make enough difference as one man to compensate for not doing you CO duties effectively.  You will lose your main, they will blow your CO assets, and you can kiss you 2x bonus goodbye, loser.

In the sixteen man servers, I can see a fighting commander having more of a role, since you are 12 percent of your team.  But it's so frenetic in 16 man, all you could do is place UAV in front of everybody, and maybe drop an arty.  And everyone moves so fast in a small space, so when you are not paying attention to the CO screen you will probably miss most of the time (and arty on a 16 man size will likely take one of your team as well.)

In the 32 man and 64 man, like TF-voodoochild said, the CO role is fulltime.  It's a totally different experience; you are disconnected from the action.  But that's the role.  If you don't like it, don't do it.  And if you're not willing to do it fulltime, DON'T DO IT.  The Commander needs to stick his head in the CO screen and keep it there until the last opponent ticks over.  The only times he can pull his head out is to defend himself or his own base, repair blown assets, or possibly to drive to the closest flag if it is white, or owned by opponent, and unoccupied.  As imdead said, a dead commander is a useless commander, so keep your head down.

The frustration runs both ways.  Fighting commanders are bad commanders, and I know I'm in for a short losing round when I see one.  Unless we have an uncap'able base, in which case we are in for a long round, probably losing.  But I also know what it's like to be commander, and have no squads to work with, or squads who do not follow orders.  A commander should be an experienced player, and as such it will be frustrating as hell to have no one to give orders to, or have them run off doing their own thing, while you look down into your little screenie and foresee exactly what is going to happen, and that's it not good.  But that's the way it is, you are the commander now.  If your team is poor, there's not a whole lot you and your gun can do about it as an individual.
Absinthe
+18|6756

d4rkph03n1x wrote:

You do realise you dont get points for killing people as commander?
I'm not looking for points mate ! I'm looking for my team's victory. period.
thats why my K/D ratio sucks big time.

so.. I see here, from veteran players/commanders that inspite of the *burning urge* to participate in combat, where the commander (who is usually an experinced player) might contribute a bit of his skills - needs to STAY PUT ? see your allmighty brigade fall down ? Where is the "follow me soldiers"  ? I dunno.

see ?

its a true conflict here. A commaner IS an experienced player, that *must not* move/stick his head  out of the CO screen - just to save himself.. basically thats what it is you say.

Last edited by Absinthe (2005-11-24 16:24:04)

Chard_Wreck
+0|6733
I've said it before. I still think EA should make the CO be inside the COM trailer to open their COM screen.
-=|BW|=-Hollow_Moon
+5|6755
The thing I cant stand are the mind boggling terrible commanders, the other day on wake I started piloting an attack chopper for someone & the commander used an M95 to team kill me & take my place as pilot while using Q to press sorry over & over... Ban Tastic

Another one like that on Fushe as well, I said he couldnt fly a chopper & command, he tried to prove me wrong & crashed... Guess I proved him wrong
Umbra Acciptris
+1|6755
I don't get "active commanders"  Stairing at that screen long enugh for a scan is more than enugh time to get poped by a sniper or enemy soldier if you are on the front line.  How do you manage to go from active field service to accuratly scanning, determinging the highest conentration of enemies, where they will be in about 15 seconds, bomb them, and add a UAV for friendlies?  I can only imagine you are dying horibly, alot.

I dislike having to so much as remove my command screen to defend a flag right next to me, or repair assets that a spec ops destroyed.
Tigg@lot
noob on tour
+1|6774|NRW,Germany

Absinthe wrote:

so.. I see here, from veteran players/commanders that inspite of the *burning urge* to participate in combat, where the commander (who is usually an experinced player) might contribute a bit of his skills - needs to STAY PUT ? see your allmighty brigade fall down ? Where is the "follow me soldiers"  ? I dunno.
If your "allmighty brigade" falls it indicates that you´re not doing your job correct.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard