Bell
Frosties > Cornflakes
+362|6550|UK

It's all BT's fault.  Well for me anyway, they simply wont upgrade my area unless a certain amount of people want it and register an intrest.  Fs they where diggin it up just last year, and now we find our self's being caped at 0.5 mbps IF that.  Still I am an AOL customer and they compensated me for overpayment when it was finially realised the performance was not up to scratch, great customer service from my experience atleast to .

Lets burn down BT hq for the fun of it!

Martyn
S1lent-Stryke
+12|6531|UK
I live very close to Bt's headquarters and the fastest connection I can get is 1MB, mate down the road lives 100m too far from the local exchange and is stuck with a maximum 512k connection.  This sucks, BT are taking the piss!
JohnLeavitt
+16|6444
WTF??? i live in the USA and i have cable with a 100mbs connection with no caps or anything... i can do as much downloading and uploading as i want... no bandwith limits... and it only cost $40 USD a month... WOOT... average ping is BF2142 + BF2 is like 20-30 lol

Last edited by JohnLeavitt (2006-12-01 09:55:52)

_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6718|Riva, MD
I'd should like to try BF with that new Fiber-Optic internet that Verizon has just installed in my area, it's supposed to 5x faster than cable.  I heard that it does T.V. too.
beerface702
+65|6694|las vegas
alot of europe has awesome broadband access, mainly in small areas or villages from what ive read here and other places.

somewhere in germany you can get gigabit for like 150 a month

but it seems isp's are grumpy as hell in uk

here in vegas we arnt the fastest, but my isp doesnt have a download cap per month, no p2p throttling

get 10meg down, 1.5 up its more like 12 meg down though, im always consistentaly at 1380k + on most sites like microsoft.com, or the big download sites ive tested it on.

cant wait to full fibre comes out this way in a year, supposed to jump to 38meg with this new carrier out here
mcgid1
Meh...
+129|6718|Austin, TX/San Antonio, TX
I'm on my school's internet in the US, and we rank as lords of the internet with a T3 connection.  I get to download at around 2mb/s, no caps, and the highest ping I've had since I've been using it is 16.  And, I don't have to pay a cent to connect.
livingstorm
+8|6674
If you want to see slow internet connections, try getting a half decent one in Australia
Jasp
Bongabilla
+171|6663|The Outer Circle
i got 4MB with Blueyonder, no limits, no caps all good

....Funny thing is they have not charged me for the last 3months now....

Like im gonna tell em that!
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/11882/holteendersig2.jpghttps://forums.bf2s.com/img/avatars/11508.gif
Cheez
Herman is a warmaphrodite
+1,027|6440|King Of The Islands

Techworld wrote:

PLease tell me how the internet connections are in your country for comparison purposes.
Aww. Poor you. Only 8Mb?. Lemme fill you in on Australian Broadband:

We have one giant prick of a govt. subsidiary that acts like a business (only care about shareholders and shit), that naturally owns almost the entire network of Australia. Now 7 years ago, when Telstra first brought in ADSL, they had the brilliant idea of throttling everyone to a max of 1.5Mb. Of course no-one could afford 1.5, because it was $80/month for 400MB or so. A couple years later, and other ISPs are finally allowed to use the national network, for around $30 per port, per month.

Now last month, Telstra reluctantly uncapped the 1.5. And we are all sitting and waiting for them to run around to every exchange and take off the collar. We can now have 8Mb for as little as $59.95 for 600MB. Not only that, they count uploads, and when you reach it they throttle you to 64kbps.

Now ADSL2+, that's something different. Because Telstra have been sitting on their arses with 1.5, all the other ISPs have been rolling out their own networks to as much as they can afford. So you can only get ADSL2+ in Melbourne, Sydney, Newcastle, Perth, Adelaide, Brisbane and the Gold Coast. So if your lucky enough to have had one of the ISPs enable ADSL2+ in your town, in your exchange, you can get 20GB, up to 24Mb for $59.95 (So that's fairly feasible pricing). Also, during this 8Mb suprise, Telstra also announced they are rolling out ADSL2+, but only in exchanges that already had another ISP put in their own 2+ DSLAM, (in fear that they'd have to sell it to other ISPs in Regional Aus)

Me however, I'm stuck on ADSL1 and using one of the other ISPs that can use the network. But because Telstra sprang this uncap on everyone, all the ISPs are rustling up plans to have 8Mbps. So for now I'm paying $64.95/month for 28GB on 512.

So have a sook on your Unlimited 8Mb why don't ya. Oh and speaking of Unlimited, we don't have that.
My state was founded by Batman. Your opinion is invalid.
zero_x830
+5|6425|Netherlands
I got a question though: I sometimes see people with 999 ping, I mostly assume they lost connection then.
But lately i see people with 0 or 1 ping? how is that possible? they also lost connection or the they got super duber über connection?
aardfrith
Δ > x > ¥
+145|6793
I am currently on Demon (UK) Home 8000 package, which is shit.  Don't confuse this with "the shit", it's just shit.  Lsat night I had 3 disconnects while playing bf2142, so today I've ordered NTL 10Mb cable.  Soon as that's installed, I'm cancelling Demon.

It's an extra £15 a month but for the connectivity and speed, I think it's worth it.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6717

JohnLeavitt wrote:

WTF??? i live in the USA and i have cable with a 100mbs connection with no caps or anything... i can do as much downloading and uploading as i want... no bandwith limits... and it only cost $40 USD a month... WOOT... average ping is BF2142 + BF2 is like 20-30 lol
Sure you do. No one has 100mbs connection... You think you do, but you don't. Unless your dad works as a manager at an internet company working with fiber optics.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Techworld
Banned
+17|6403
I cant even play bf2 during peak periods wont connect
DoctorFruitloop
Level 13 Wrongdoer
+515|6547|Doncaster, UK

cyborg_ninja-117 wrote:

JohnLeavitt wrote:

Sure you do. No one has 100mbs connection... You think you do, but you don't. Unless your dad works as a manager at an internet company working with fiber optics.
£10 says he's checked the internet connection status on his PC and taken the ethernet speed as being his internet connection speed.
Techworld
Banned
+17|6403

Cheez wrote:

Techworld wrote:

PLease tell me how the internet connections are in your country for comparison purposes.
Aww. Poor you. Only 8Mb?. Lemme fill you in on Australian Broadband:

We have one giant prick of a govt. subsidiary that acts like a business (only care about shareholders and shit), that naturally owns almost the entire network of Australia. Now 7 years ago, when Telstra first brought in ADSL, they had the brilliant idea of throttling everyone to a max of 1.5Mb. Of course no-one could afford 1.5, because it was $80/month for 400MB or so. A couple years later, and other ISPs are finally allowed to use the national network, for around $30 per port, per month.

Now last month, Telstra reluctantly uncapped the 1.5. And we are all sitting and waiting for them to run around to every exchange and take off the collar. We can now have 8Mb for as little as $59.95 for 600MB. Not only that, they count uploads, and when you reach it they throttle you to 64kbps.

Now ADSL2+, that's something different. Because Telstra have been sitting on their arses with 1.5, all the other ISPs have been rolling out their own networks to as much as they can afford. So you can only get ADSL2+ in Melbourne, Sydney, Newcastle, Perth, Adelaide, Brisbane and the Gold Coast. So if your lucky enough to have had one of the ISPs enable ADSL2+ in your town, in your exchange, you can get 20GB, up to 24Mb for $59.95 (So that's fairly feasible pricing). Also, during this 8Mb suprise, Telstra also announced they are rolling out ADSL2+, but only in exchanges that already had another ISP put in their own 2+ DSLAM, (in fear that they'd have to sell it to other ISPs in Regional Aus)

Me however, I'm stuck on ADSL1 and using one of the other ISPs that can use the network. But because Telstra sprang this uncap on everyone, all the ISPs are rustling up plans to have 8Mbps. So for now I'm paying $64.95/month for 28GB on 512.

So have a sook on your Unlimited 8Mb why don't ya. Oh and speaking of Unlimited, we don't have that.
ROFLMFAO

I feel good now
02fxnmaurer
+75|6483|Birmingham UK
im on 8mb aol....its shit, people who have it pretend its good just so they dont look like mugs...yes the connection is unlimited...when u can get it... pings are crap after 5pm due to amount of users and certain ports closed etc. It infests ur pc with rubbish and stops ur computer and its functioning of bf2..with its supposed spyware checks every 1 minute or so. The 8mb broadband is a little bit of speed to accelerate graphics card etc however aol certainly doesnt like this game..dont go on aol propspective broadband changers

lol johnleavitt u dumbass

Last edited by 02fxnmaurer (2006-12-08 09:43:12)

Scorpion0x17
can detect anyone's visible post count...
+691|6767|Cambridge (UK)

Techworld wrote:

RANT:@

I hate UK internet, most have a download cap for the month ( i dont but i cant really download that much due to throttling)
GEt this....

I pay for unlimited broadand that includes:

A peak time fair use policy inforce from 6pm - 11pm - this slows all p2p down, causes havoc with pings
a port throttle inforce 8am - 1 am - 5kb/s p2p until 1 am

I mean , what the hell is the uk's problem? we are one of most developed countries and yet we have this garbage connections. We're at average 8mb. Our connections are bleeding useless for anything.

The more I read your posts, the more I think you should stop calling yourself 'Techworld' and put that website into mothballs until after you've done a good, hell any degree...

WTF crappy company are you with?

I'm in the UK. My net connection is 2Mb, granted, but only because the person that pays the bills can't be arsed to actually tell BT to upgrade to 8Mb, and we don't have any of those problems. 2Mb is actually fine. The vast majority of people don't actually need more than that, ever.

Last edited by Scorpion0x17 (2006-12-08 10:23:15)

Techworld
Banned
+17|6403
listen you jerk, i am not even old enough to take a degree... where is your website? I think i've done pretty well for self taught and if you would now do me the upmost favour and shut the hell up. You may have a degree in Art or anything P*ssy like that but I have a degree in common sense.

What the hell does my isp being poor have to do with my website? I am with Tiscali if it is any of your business. Plus, I pay my own bills , which is more than you do? How old are you? 24? assuming you have a "degree".

You read my posts? Glad to see i have an admirer, I am not afraid to ask for advice, I do not go around thinking I know it all like yourself, I do not know it all,  I never will, no one will.

I'm in the UK. My net connection is 2Mb, granted, but only because the person that pays the bills can't be arsed to actually tell BT to upgrade to 8Mb, and we don't have any of those problems. 2Mb is actually fine. The vast majority of people don't actually need more than that, ever.
Infact you are wrong. With the introduction of online TV, more people will be wanting to watch TV online, while their sons play battleifeld 2 online in another room... 2mb bandwidth can only go so far..When I was on 2mb online tv was "ok" a bit sluggish. So, people do need more than 2mb, are you completely missing the point of broadband? My old 2mb connection downloaded at 230KB/S that became a drag... now I download at 730KB/S and i dont have to wait aslong.
You  are the type of person who will find negativities in things unless you have it, if you have it.... its the best its great! but if someone else has it you will find all sorts of childish excuses. (me) : Look at my new ferrari!! (you) :  ah i dont want one of those... what a crap car, my rover metro is much better(2mb)
If you are willing to stay on 2mb "forever" feel free, I look forward to watching online TV on a 24mb connection soon.
What about the future where people will be e-working, video conferecing big scale.... 2mb will never be adequate. .... I invitie you to revoke your claim " don't actually need more than that, ever."

Regards

Last edited by Techworld (2006-12-08 13:52:36)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard