smtt686
this is the best we can do?
+95|6653|USA
http://www.cnn.com/2006/SHOWBIZ/TV/11/2 … index.html

I, for one, think its a great idea.
Miller
IT'S MILLER TIME!
+271|6778|United States of America
While anything racist other than that word be allowed.... You know it would happen.
Hurricane
Banned
+1,153|6653|Washington, DC

If someone wants to use it, go ahead. Their judgement as to whether it will be taken lightly (Dave Chappelle) or considered insulting (Michael Richards or whatever his name is... Kramer =p). No need for more censorship than we already have.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6604|SE London

Fuck off!
Any words should be allowed in the name of entertainment. It is the sentiment behind words which people should be worried about, not individual words.
Stingray24
Proud member of the vast right-wing conspiracy
+1,060|6468|The Land of Scott Walker
I don't hear the "n" word in any entertainment I choose to watch.  Of course a good idea to stop using it.  No to the government getting involved and making laws over things like this.  If I don't like the language in something, I don't watch it.  There's a channel and an an off button on the remote for a reason.
SysTray
"Generous mods" < Thats right Systray !
+180|6843|Delaware
Never. Not really much hard info to back that up with. I think it's freedom of speech. People call each other that stuff all the time.

Colored people (lack of a better general term) say it in America to each other, why shouldn't it be allowed to be used as a lyric?
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6604|SE London

Stingray24 wrote:

I don't hear the "n" word in any entertainment I choose to watch.  Of course a good idea to stop using it.  No to the government getting involved and making laws over things like this.  If I don't like the language in something, I don't watch it.  There's a channel and an an off button on the remote for a reason.
QFT!
Phantom2828
+51|6550|Land of the free
Freedom of speech.
This is the stupidest thing I have ever heard.
You hear fucktards like Dave chapel say it every second.
So I guess you mean Ban all WHITE people from saying it huh. That sounds kinda racist.
Phantom2828
+51|6550|Land of the free

Hurricane wrote:

If someone wants to use it, go ahead. Their judgement as to whether it will be taken lightly (Dave Chappelle) or considered insulting (Michael Richards or whatever his name is... Kramer =p). No need for more censorship than we already have.
I think you mean its insulting because he was white
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6707|United States of America
Pansies at CNN. They don't specify the word in question within the whole article.
IRONCHEF
+385|6513|Northern California
How exactly can you "remove it from entertainment?"  Are script writers really going to ommit it's useage when doing films depicting segregationist type themes?  Are rappers going to abide and replace it with other words?

Good luck.
Hurricane
Banned
+1,153|6653|Washington, DC

Phantom2828 wrote:

Hurricane wrote:

I think you mean its insulting because he was white
No, it was insulting the way it was used. Chappelle uses it for the sake of using it, while Richards used it in a hateful and angry manner.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6623|132 and Bush

My opinion is 15:35 seconds in

A rare time I agree with Sharpton.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
{BMF}*Frank_The_Tank
U.S. > Iran
+497|6600|Florida

smtt686 wrote:

http://www.cnn.com/2006/SHOWBIZ/TV/11/27/michaelrichards.ap/index.html

I, for one, think its a great idea.
Al Sharpton will probably throw a hissy fit and he will probably say that blacks not being able to say it in their music and all that is oppressive and their freedom of speech is hindered.

I cant stand Al Sharpton.......
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6623|132 and Bush

{BMF}*Frank_The_Tank wrote:

I can't stand him either.. listen to the interview, makes sense.

Last edited by Kmarion (2006-11-27 16:54:14)

Xbone Stormsurgezz
{BMF}*Frank_The_Tank
U.S. > Iran
+497|6600|Florida

Kmarion wrote:

{BMF}*Frank_The_Tank wrote:

I can't stand him either.. listen to the interview, makes sense.
Yeah I did, I was posting my reply about the same time you were, so I didnt get a chance to watch it until after I posted.  I will say I am honestly surprised about his opinion on it, but I am glad he of all people feels the way he does about it.  The only occasion I can think of where I have agreed with him lol.
Ryan
+1,230|6865|Alberta, Canada

Well blacks saying it to other blacks is ok, but whites to black is just stupid.
eagles1106
+269|6606|Marlton, New Jersey.
I think it would be a great idea but, half of the time the word isnt used with the intentions of looking down upon the African American race.  Now it can be used just as the common insult.  Thinking logically shouldnt people just decide not to watch entertainment that they know the word will be in if they are offended by it?  I havent watched one in a loooong time that has used the n word
Invaderzim
Chicken wing?
+49|6471|Newcastle NSW Australia

stingray24 wrote:

Thank you sir, finaly someone who has some sense and doesnt stop other people because they dont want to watch it.
weamo8
+50|6465|USA
I dont think it should be banned, I think it should be used more by everyone.  "Nigger" is way too powerful of a word, and the more scared we are of it, the stronger it gets.  It is ridiculous.  It is seriously like the "Volderwhore" word in Harry Potter or something.
sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6780|Argentina
And black comedians will be allowed to say cracker?  Black persons call each other the N word all the time.
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6427|North Carolina
I think refraining from using this word is good, but banning it is going overboard.
Stingray24
Proud member of the vast right-wing conspiracy
+1,060|6468|The Land of Scott Walker

sergeriver wrote:

And black comedians will be allowed to say cracker?  Black persons call each other the N word all the time.
They can call me or anyone else white a cracker, who cares.  I've always been puzzled by black folks calling each other the N word but anyone else guarantees themselves an ass kicking if they call them the same.  I've heard the answer that they "mean it differently" so it's ok to do it.  I don't buy that.  If a race does not want a racial slur used against them, they should not use it in their everyday language, either.
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6427|North Carolina

weamo8 wrote:

I dont think it should be banned, I think it should be used more by everyone.  "Nigger" is way too powerful of a word, and the more scared we are of it, the stronger it gets.  It is ridiculous.  It is seriously like the "Volderwhore" word in Harry Potter or something.
Voldemort...  and yeah, I see the parallel.  That's pretty funny, actually...  lol
weamo8
+50|6465|USA
I havent been in these forums for very long, but I have always been surprised by the amount of profanity around here.  Even in this thread there is "fuck" and "cracker," but I am the only to actually type the almightly "n" word.  Granted I have never been much for political correctness, but I have never understood why this word is so scary.  Why is it the most untouchable word in the English language?!? Please someone explain.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard