swedge
+23|6455|haggis hill
hey guys i just ordered myself a g15 keyboard and now i need a new mouse, i currently have a logitech mx500 which has been brilliant (best mouse ive ever had) but im lookin for a new one.  i was looking at the g5 but it only has 1 thumb button and i prefer the 2 thumb buttons.

any ideas
Varegg
Support fanatic :-)
+2,206|6806|Nårvei

Mx518 - best there is
Wait behind the line ..............................................................
Lucien
Fantasma Parastasie
+1,451|6649
yeah the G5 has a low of drawbacks. Although the teflon feet are nice, you need a smooth mousepad or else they will wear out in no time. And because of the laser technology the mouse only works on certain mousepads. I've also been unable to buy new ones so I'm stuck with completely destroyed mouse-feet.
Secondly, the scrollwheel is shit. It regularly doesn't register your scrolling properly, and it feels very vague and uncertain. Unlike on even the cheapest mice, where every scroll is an easily recognisable click, here you'll end up stuck between two 'scrolls' and find yourself unable to switch guns or shoot in the middle of a fight. It's also near impossible to click the scrollwheel without actually scrolling

Another problem is the shape of the mouse - you need big hands to use it. When I'm holding a mouse my thumb will be at the bottom. But the (notably more larger than in the 510/18) thumb grip is in the middle meaning that I am constantly pushing hard against the sharp edge of the bottom - after playing for a while there will literally be a huge, deep line on my thumb.

Finally, the DPI and weights are useless. The mouse is quite heavy already and the weights don't help that. Switching between DPI is pointless, too.

However, it does feel very nice, the texture of the mouse is a huge improvement over the 5**, the black part is now more rubbery and the plastic on top is a lot less sticky, and far more comfortable. the thumb button is fine, I always thought that two was too many, especially as the one further away was too hard to get to to assign anything important to it. The teflon feet also make it very smooth as long as you use the right pad/desk. The wire is also a lot nice, it's more like a rope than a wire, far looser than the old 5** wires. It also scrolls to the side, which can be assigned to use keys that you can use ingame, thus replacing the second thumb button.
https://i.imgur.com/HTmoH.jpg
Fenris_GreyClaw
Real Хорошо
+826|6515|Adelaide, South Australia

buy a $10 Microsoft mouse. its what all the l33t gamers use.
some_random_panda
Flamesuit essential
+454|6387

I'm using an MX 3000.  The mouse has a nice shape and no jutting bits.  Depending on the size of your hand, it could be perfect.  (If your hand's too big, it will scrape on the mouse surface).

EDIT:  I'm a noob.  I know what you're thinking.  Just don't say it.  Have the satisfaction of knowing that I know that you know that what you know is what I know and thus I know what you know.  OK?

Last edited by some_random_panda (2006-11-27 02:17:46)

Swiss
+20|6541
mx 518, had the 510, 500 and g5 too, 518 owns all, the fact you can change the resolution in one click really turned the whole game around, hopping into a tank and increasing resolution (makes turret swivel easier/faster) and then hopping out and decreasing it for sniping or cqc. It owns.
max
Vela Incident
+1,652|6563|NYC / Hamburg

SargeV1.4 wrote:

yeah the G5 has a low of drawbacks.

The wire is also a lot nice, it's more like a rope than a wire, far looser than the old 5** wires. It also scrolls to the side, which can be assigned to use keys that you can use ingame, thus replacing the second thumb button.
ï've had a g5 for about 3/4 of a year now. i usually use it without a mouse-pad, just on a plain table. works great and i havent noticed  any wear down. i have never had any problems with scrolling. even though the middle click is a bit tricky to get used to, i have mastered it pretty fast and now i can click it without any problems. i do have big hands and i really like the shape of it. most mice feel too small for me. i also like pretty hehavy mice, so loading it up with some weights is nice. i do agree that fine tuning is pretty useless. 1 heavy & 1 lighter pack would do the job just as well. $

i have a very slight tremor in my hand so turning the dpi down during long range sniping is nice to have, same goes for higher dpi in tanks and the like

i agree with this last part though
However, it does feel very nice, the texture of the mouse is a huge improvement over the 5**, the black part is now more rubbery and the plastic on top is a lot less sticky, and far more comfortable. the thumb button is fine, I always thought that two was too many, especially as the one further away was too hard to get to to assign anything important to it. The teflon feet also make it very smooth as long as you use the right pad/desk. The wire is also a lot nice, it's more like a rope than a wire, far looser than the old 5** wires. It also scrolls to the side, which can be assigned to use keys that you can use ingame, thus replacing the second thumb button.
EDIT: the missing 2nd thumb button is not really a problem for me. i hardly ever use the 3ed/4th button anyhow

Last edited by max (2006-11-27 02:26:52)

once upon a midnight dreary, while i pron surfed, weak and weary, over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot  xxx galore'. While i clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour, " 'Tis not possible!", i muttered, " give me back my free hardcore!"..... quoth the server, 404.
Fenris_GreyClaw
Real Хорошо

Fenris_GreyClaw wrote:

max
Vela Incident
+1,652|6563|NYC / Hamburg

Fenris_GreyClaw wrote:

Fenris_GreyClaw wrote:

good job on self quoting. isnt it great to agree with yourself

Last edited by max (2006-11-27 02:28:18)

once upon a midnight dreary, while i pron surfed, weak and weary, over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot  xxx galore'. While i clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour, " 'Tis not possible!", i muttered, " give me back my free hardcore!"..... quoth the server, 404.
Fenris_GreyClaw
Real Хорошо

max wrote:

Fenris_GreyClaw wrote:

Fenris_GreyClaw wrote:

good job on self quoting. isnt ot great to agree with yourself
yes. ask WilhelmSissner.
{uscm}Jyden
You likey leaky?
+433|6675|In You Endo- Stoke
I have a a microsoft optical mouse wth 4 buttons had it three years cost £45 when it was new.

If your after a new logitech one one my mates has just bought the revolution wireless mouse,quite sanzzy once you get used to it.I think my next mouse will either be the new razor/microsft mouse or the updated microsoft optical black mouse.
DeCon_1
+16|6517|Atlanta, Georga U.S.A.
Heres the mouse that I use, it servers me well.
http://www.razerzone.com/Products/Gamin … ing-Mouse/
https://www.netzwelt.de/images/articles/microsoft_habu_razer_test_1_1163501523.jpg
Cookie.VXT
Bringer Of Cookies.
+178|6432|UK
Razer Copperhead

end off..
[pt] KEIOS
srs bsns
+231|6649|pimelteror.de
logitech mx518 ftw!
{uscm}Jyden
You likey leaky?
+433|6675|In You Endo- Stoke
Yeha that was the microsoft/razer combo,have you used a razor? i just found that it was too twitchy for me to use.Hence why i have stuck with my microsoft one.. wonderd if its the same for that mouse?
malarkeycoon
+16|6636|Cardiff
I stole my mouse from work. It has two buttons and a roller thingy. It is probable this £3 mouse does my gameplay no favours but I can't be arsed getting a proper one.
Fenris_GreyClaw
Real Хорошо

Fenris_GreyClaw wrote:

max wrote:

Fenris_GreyClaw wrote:

Buy a $10 Microsoft mouse. it's what all the l33t gamers use.
good job on self quoting. isnt ot great to agree with yourself
yes. ask WilhelmSissner.

Last edited by Fenris_GreyClaw (2006-11-27 04:58:51)

ozghost
Mr piss EVERYONE off
+48|6706|Kangarooland
ultimate companion for the g15 is the G5.

end of story.
ssonrats
+221|6641
The feet on my mouse are fucked, it feels really scratchy, i'm thinking about getting the copperhead.
jcurts
+25|6361|Coventry, UK
mx 518 man. it rules.
Marinejuana
local
+415|6581|Seattle

Fenris_GreyClaw wrote:

Fenris_GreyClaw wrote:

i use a 7 year old microsoft intellimouse and it seems to work perfectly. I have a really hard time believing that a new mouse would improve anything. does anybody here really swear by expensive mice? i had a newer generic viewsonic mouse that i stopped using because the click action was more stiff than i prefer and shape was weird, but arent all laser mice pretty damn precise?

SargeV1.4 wrote:

Secondly, the scrollwheel is shit. It regularly doesn't register your scrolling properly, and it feels very vague and uncertain. Unlike on even the cheapest mice, where every scroll is an easily recognisable click, here you'll end up stuck between two 'scrolls' and find yourself unable to switch guns or shoot in the middle of a fight. It's also near impossible to click the scrollwheel without actually scrolling,
what do u use the scrollwheel for in bf2? is it a vehicle thing? i never scroll for weapon change. i just assume u have some interesting mapping going on there if u are scrolling in bf2.

Last edited by Marinejuana (2006-11-30 04:18:28)

Stomper_40k
Re-Incarnation. You mean re-spawn right?
+44|6641|Cardiff - Wales - UK
I wouldn't swap my MX-518 for anything
mavrick 3399
EA GAMES PATCH EVERYTHING
+102|6537|Doncaster UK
G7 is what i use alot people say dont use wireless but i dont care, really good mouse, being able to change dpi in game has help alot, especially in rail guns and things (2142) (no knifes me anymore) not had a single problem with this mouse!
Sarrk
O-O-O A-O A
+788|6652|Brisbane, Australia

Wireless Mice are fine, but its the keyboards you gotta watch out for.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard