phoenixgunner
+2|6373
EA has done a very poor job on balancing the two attack jets included in the AF addon, the A-10 is underarmed and the Fantan from what I know, is supposed to be a supersonic jet but with limited weapon carrying capability, so maybe give the A-10 some sort of guided missles or at least rocket pods like the attack choppers, while adding a backburner for Fantan and make it more agile, but reducing its cannon to 100 rounds. its just my two cents so please keep the topic going!
I.M.I Militant
We Are Not Alone In Here
+297|6728|Melbourne, Australia
i personly havent played AF but i think they should of made the planes how they are in RL
TigerXtrm
Death by Indecency
+51|6377|Netherlands

It's still a game, so balanced gameplay comes above getting everything realistic...

I'm not a big fan of the AF jets. To slow, to bulky, hardly defense against AA and they could hold a contest with a jackhammer and win. But from what I've seen on maps when they are flying back and worth, I wouldn't say they are unbalanced. Maybe if they fight each other but - oh! - that's thats not what they are meant to do. They are meant to bomb targets, rearm, bomb more targets and so on. Not to engage combat with each other.

Tiger
phoenixgunner
+2|6373
What I'm saying is adding more realism while improving the survivalbility of the planes, better weapon system gives the Warthog more chance to defend against AAs, while the Fantan being more evasive, with its speed and improved maneuverability, thus making them harder targets for mobile AAs.
FrankieSpankie3388
Hockey Nut
+243|6539|Boston, MA

TigerXtrm wrote:

It's still a game, so balanced gameplay comes above getting everything realistic...

I'm not a big fan of the AF jets. To slow, to bulky, hardly defense against AA and they could hold a contest with a jackhammer and win. But from what I've seen on maps when they are flying back and worth, I wouldn't say they are unbalanced. Maybe if they fight each other but - oh! - that's thats not what they are meant to do. They are meant to bomb targets, rearm, bomb more targets and so on. Not to engage combat with each other.

Tiger
That's what makes me hate them. They're always flying around bombing people and are hard to kill, but if you're on the ground it's easy pickings for them.
*e6/TheChronic
+21|6490
on operation road rage i think that they are pretty balanced you just have to be good with the cannons...
Phrozenbot
+632|6624|do not disturb

Personally, I think the attack jets just need more hit points, and maybe an increase of cannon damage. They don't do shit towards tanks, but they are pretty effective against light targets. Explosion animations for the jets are kind of weak. I'd like the frogfoot's cannon to do more damage.

The Fantan isn't all that bad. I personally like it. Problem with it sometimes is it just has bad lift (pulling up from drops), and you can sometimes crash into tall trees.  It's also harder to stay on the A-10 in a dog fight. It's supposed to be more agile than a F-16 in low altitude. But, oh well. I love the attack jets though. Should have been in the game from the get go.
Leprechaun56
Proud Infantry Whore
+31|6593|U.S.A
Af jets are too slow, too big, and not very powerful. Id say they should have like aa missiles that can kill stuff on the ground, like tanks in one hit. It would be like a laser missile, only you dont need a second operator.
Phrozenbot
+632|6624|do not disturb

Not to AA missiles, but highlight air targets? Yes. Very thick fog on the jet maps.
FeedUsYourFetus
+89|6461
You guys need to take some time to learn the AF jets.  If they were more powerful, they'd be WAY TOO POWERFUL.  I initially complained because it seemed like the A10 gun is more like a pea shooter than what it should be........until I spent some time in it to realize that if you operate the thing right, you WILL dominate the map and the round.  I routinely play with the AF jets without getting shot down by AA ever....and if I am in one of the AF jets, my score is usually in the top three if not the highest.

If you let AA get a solid lock, yeah, you're probably toast.   But then again, they can't lock on you if you killed them before they ever had an idea you were coming now can they?  It's all about practice and learning how to never be seen before it's waaay too late.

KiL
basetballjones
+30|6757

FeedUsYourFetus wrote:

You guys need to take some time to learn the AF jets.  If they were more powerful, they'd be WAY TOO POWERFUL.  I initially complained because it seemed like the A10 gun is more like a pea shooter than what it should be........until I spent some time in it to realize that if you operate the thing right, you WILL dominate the map and the round.  I routinely play with the AF jets without getting shot down by AA ever....and if I am in one of the AF jets, my score is usually in the top three if not the highest.

If you let AA get a solid lock, yeah, you're probably toast.   But then again, they can't lock on you if you killed them before they ever had an idea you were coming now can they?  It's all about practice and learning how to never be seen before it's waaay too late.

KiL
Yep, practice.  The A-10 is really a monster already and is probably more agile than it was meant to be.. the Su's are superb in a dogfight and can simple shrug off aa unless thay just do "shoot me" flyover.

For all intents and purposes, every one of the AF jets is meant to be a bomber, and they handle as such.  They pull up slow, but you are never supposed to get that close to the ground in a warthog anyway.

High altitude dive bombing, strategic planning for your runs and reloads, and good knowledge of the map will get you the gold star.
venom6
Since day One.
+247|6567|Hungary

Leprechaun56 wrote:

Af jets are too slow, too big, and not very powerful
Just you should know the A-10 was created during Vietnam war...why ?
To give the infantry troop close air support.If its fast it cant see where to bomb.
Wanna know more ? Use internet !
Marine_fighter77
+20|6365
well its true i agree that those jets suck ' ..... unbalanced.. crappy and every time a line backer gets a lock on you , well....... you're screwed.
Lt.Gen.Chaos
+0|6436|CA.USA
Ok This is something that is always argued about.

In real life the a-10 is Not supersonic jet. It is slow and does not have any air to air missiles.

i know that this site is not always creditable but most of the time has good info.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A-10_Thunderbolt_II

Know on the other had the a-10 has a crappy Machinegun on the front. in real life that gun rocks.

this is more like it should be
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid … 0+strafing

Those are just true facts.

part to blame is EA for not doing the greatest mod on it. For you that has DL the DCON mod for bf2 that a-10 is alot bettter.

now on the other hand i find the a-10 great for its job in-game. if you know anything about Bombing you'll find that it is easy to kill tanks and jeeps with the bombs, the mg on the other hand...........

Those are my thoughs on it, hope it helped.

[Spec]Lt.Gen.Chaos

www.special-ops.us

Last edited by Lt.Gen.Chaos (2007-04-04 12:50:11)

Snake
Missing, Presumed Dead
+1,046|6575|England

Lt.Gen.Chaos wrote:

It is slow and does not have any air to air missiles.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A-10_Thunderbolt_II
Wrong.
On that very wiki guide, it makes reference in the "armaments" section to:

"AGM-65 Maverick air-to-surface missiles and AIM-9 Sidewinder air-to-air missiles"

Although it could be inaccurate, thats what it says
Lt.Gen.Chaos
+0|6436|CA.USA
Ok so i was wrong i admit that. still its main roll is bombing. Its 2 slow to do air to air combat.

Last edited by Lt.Gen.Chaos (2007-04-04 13:46:20)

aj0404
It'll just be our little secret
+298|6359|Iowa...
the only complaint i have about any of them is the A-10.it's harder to bomb since it drops the 2 bombs side by side,instead of in a line.sometimes you'll line it up perfectly but the bombs will only land next to the target instead of hitting them.
FeedUsYourFetus
+89|6461
I have found the A10 to be the easiest to consistently bomb well with.

KiL
Phrozenbot
+632|6624|do not disturb

Fantan is more accurate when bombing.
TrollmeaT
Aspiring Objectivist
+492|6681|Colorado
I think they are fine & have seen several people "own" with them. More practice is need I think. Good luck!
FeedUsYourFetus
+89|6461

Phrozenbot wrote:

Fantan is more accurate when bombing.
That's because the bomb placement is very tight on the Fantan, not wide like on the A10.....but I can still bomb a lot better with the A10.  Personally speaking (obviously). 

KiL
Snake
Missing, Presumed Dead
+1,046|6575|England

FeedUsYourFetus wrote:

I have found the A10 to be the easiest to consistently bomb well with.

KiL
Ditto. The Su39 has a hard time pulling up and is poor on the steep climbs.

I actually have next to zero experience in the Fantan so I cant say for that. Mostly cos I never get to it first - and I whore the WZ11 on Midnight, when its running.
yUP|Patriots
+7|6670

Snake wrote:

This isn't true. The Su39 can out climb the a-10, meaning the climbing radius is higher with the Su. Hence the a-10 is an easy target to gun down with the Su's powerful guns.
Phrozenbot
+632|6624|do not disturb

yUP|Patriots wrote:

Snake wrote:

This isn't true. The Su39 can out climb the a-10, meaning the climbing radius is higher with the Su. Hence the a-10 is an easy target to gun down with the Su's powerful guns.
He said it pulls out of dives a little weak, not if it can out climb the A-10. The A-10 will either roll on it's back or dive when it reaches a certain altitude before the Su does, usually. Somewhere around 800-850, but I've had people stay on my tail at higher heights.
aj0404
It'll just be our little secret
+298|6359|Iowa...
i think the A-10 cannon needs more damage,or at least more splash damage.right now it fires fast but it's so weak it doesn't make a difference.i've shot the Fantan with a steady stream of the A-10 cannon for 2 seconds straight,and then the pilot merely pulled away.he wasn't even smoking.for taking down other jets the SU-39 is the most effective in my opinion,because the cannon actually does damage.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard