Tyshalle83
+1|6756|Raleigh, NC
I installed SF through the CD, installed the patch, at the end of the patching thing it told me it failed to patch, then when I clicked OK it told me it successfully patched.... all right. I get into the game, can successfully play a single player game.

I get into a multiplayer game, load it up, and I get to the screen where usually the map pops up and you choose your team and kit, except that didn't load up. Instead it's just one camera view of an area on the map, with the tickets thing at the top, but according to it there are 0 tickets left for both teams. I'm able to see the text of people talking, and when people die I see that too. This happened to me sometimes before, even before I got SF and usually it just took a few minutes and the stuff popped up. I waited forever, it didn't happen. Instead, I was booted off the server, apparently for having modified content. It told me to roll back to my normal version of Battlefield 2... the problem is, is to my knowledge, I haven't modified anything in BF2 whatsoever.

The only thing I can think of is those stupid movies. I've deleted those because I'm sick of wasting two minutes of my life on intro movies that can't be ESC out of. Does that count as modifying my content?
Jester.retseJ
+4|6735|Toronto, On
It's better to not delete any content just in case. I found this to work better and also save on loading times and memory usage:

I made a backup folder under xpack/movies and copied and pasted EA.bik, Intro.bik, Legal.bik, and welcome.bik into it. I then went back to the xpack/movies folder and opened up notepad (or some other word editor) and made an empty document (0 bytes) and saved as EA.bik. Repeat for the other 3 files you just moved until you have 4 empty files named EA.bik, Intro.bik, Legal.bik, and welcome.bik.

Now you just have placeholders for the startup movies which you just moved. When you start BF2:SF it will still try to play these movies but since they're 0 bytes, it'll end up just skipping them and load you right into your login screen. Small trick but now you get to save your two minutes.
RGB|Apocalypse
+1|6764
Yeah I renamed the original file and put in empty same name files too. It seems that (rightfully) PB would detect a cheat/hack if not done so.

And I thought I was the only one tired of watching the unskippable intro EVERY F**KING TIME.
fizz85
+1|6793|Voice of reason
LOL... I renamed them also from crappymovie.mpg to crappymovie.mpg.old
TheCheat54
+0|6837
You CAN press Escape after the Dice logo disappears and the "light shine" reaches the right side of the BF2 logo before the logo fades...
RGB|Apocalypse
+1|6764

TheCheat54 wrote:

You CAN press Escape after the Dice logo disappears and the "light shine" reaches the right side of the BF2 logo before the logo fades...
Well, that's for sure right? Nobody would expect you to watch the nice movie every single time. By intro I refer to the whole "EA-Challenge everything" crap and the DiCE crap. I don't need to know I bought a EA/DiCE game every single time I load a game.

Most games DO allow u to simply press ESC you know.
SysTray
"Generous mods" < Thats right Systray !
+180|6825|Delaware
I got the same thing and I've never deleted anything from the game ever. Still getting the error, can't find a damn thing wrong.
TheCheat54
+0|6837

RGB|Apocalypse wrote:

TheCheat54 wrote:

Well, that's for sure right? Nobody would expect you to watch the nice movie every single time. By intro I refer to the whole "EA-Challenge everything" crap and the DiCE crap. I don't need to know I bought a EA/DiCE game every single time I load a game.

Most games DO allow u to simply press ESC you know.
The only reason I was pointing out this fact is because the original poster was complaining about "2 minutes of movies" or some crap when the EA and Dice logos hardly take 15 seconds.

Last edited by TheCheat54 (2005-11-23 19:21:57)

Tyshalle83
+1|6756|Raleigh, NC
Eh, that 15 seconds is long enough. I'm well aware of what is escapable and what is not. 15 seconds feels like 2 minutes when it's unnecessary time spent.

Regardless, I put those movie files back and it still gave me shit. So WTF is going on?
Jester.retseJ
+4|6735|Toronto, On
It's true you can just press ESC to skip through the movies but i had an alterior motive. Having 0 byte placeholders instead of the actual movies saves them from being loaded into memory whenever you start up the game. That's 126 mb worth of memory that isn't loaded everytime you start up the game and any memory you can free up is a good thing for performance. All they had to do to save us the trouble is put an option to turn the movies off like almost every other game in the world but no. How many times can you watch the same thing over and over again?

In reply to the problem still occurring even after you put them back: Sounds like a corrupt file or something missing. Some other people have had problems with the patch install. Try reinstalling the 1.12 patch and see if that helps. If not you may have to reinstall the whole thing (sucks). EA help will probably tell you the same thing but try emailing them and see if they have a solution.
Metaltop
+1|6766|The Netherlands
With normal BF2 I have placed them into the map movies/a and I have never had problems with it.

Will probably work with SF also (will try that tonight).
VirtuaLResistancE
ArmChair Warrior
+4|6759|NH - USA
I remember looking into the "Unmodified content" thing before (by googl'ing it) and it basically means your patch did not work and you need to install it again. (Regardless of the second message you got)
Sunday8PM
+1|6844|EU
I had the same thing, just reinstalled everything and it works.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard