The oldest chav in the world
+2,423|6666|Cardiff, Capital of Wales
This probably only applies to UK n Aussies.  Poms vs Convicts.

To those who dont know the Ashes is a series of Cricket test matches held over 5 games.  2 Innings per team, 11 players per team.  The only comparisons you may find with Baseball is you "bowl" the ball, hit the ball and someone tries to catch the ball.

Summer 05 and England & Wales (well call em England for now on as the only good welshman has fucked his leg up) won the Ashes for the 1st time in 20+ years.  The Ashes comes round every few years so as you can tell 'Strayer (thats Australia for short), had been kicking ass.  Well Sept 05 when the 5 game series had finished they went home, bitter and sore with there tails firmly between there legs.

Ashes 06 kicks off, tonight at midnight uk time.  England have a different looking line up as a few of the players are out with injuries.  Strayer have mostly the same team and quite a few are over 35 years of age.  A lot of banter goes on between the players, media, fans just about everyone and Englands press have been labelling the Strayer team Dads Army, much to the disgust of the team that wear the Australian kit with such pride.  Its one of the most fiercely contested cricket games stage throughout the world and this year will be no different.  Some of Strayer's grounds will hold approx 100,000 fans with 10% taken up by England.  If your a English cricketer who can't stand the heat dont enter the kitchen as they say.

I got a feeling that after loosing for 20 years and keeping hold of the Ashes for a short time, were taking them back home to where they belong.  All England have to do is win 2 out of 3 with 1 game being drawn (at least) to retain the Ashes and bring them back to Lords (home of cricket).  I dont think they have it in them and think they will loose quite comfortably, it isnt my wish.  Heart says England win, head say, fat fucking chance.

The following bit applies to Aussies again.  Look for something called The 12th Man by Billy Birmingham, he takes the piss outta Richie Benaud, Bill Lawry and other commentators.  He uses all the accents of the real commentators and if you like your cricket you will love this stuff.  Perhaps I houldnt say this but the stuff is readily available on peer 2 peer software such as Limewire etc, well worth downloading.

I'll be putting regular update about how the games are going over the next few months so I apolagise now to whose who think Cricket is just an insect.  Its well worth watching if your not a fan as these two teams really hate each other and even though we wont hear whats being said they will be trying to hit each other in the throat with the ball at 90+mph most of the time.  It be worth watching sometimes to see what the Aussie fans are holding up for the English team to read during the games.
Pvt.Kosak
+125|6579
England!!.

1927 is a cardiff fan.Reading FTW!

Sorry.Cardiff our doing well this season.Good Luck.

Last edited by Pvt.Kosak (2006-11-22 08:39:58)

silo1180
The Farewell Tour
+79|6415|San Antonio, TX
I used to play a miniature version of cricket with my friends from India when I was a kid.  And when I was stationed in Japan we got to see some TV from a BBC satellite and I watched a lot of cricket (mostly India or/vs Pakistan) and I really liked it. 

Wish it was shown more here in the US, I think it's another one of those sports that can be played anywhere.  Really, you need a bat, a ball, two lines and something to be the wickets (hope that's the right terminology), and players of course.
mikeyb118
Evil Overlord
+76|6591|S.C.
Pros vs Cons
Looking forward to it.
https://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/42342000/jpg/_42342740_pontingflintoff270.jpg
The oldest chav in the world
+2,423|6666|Cardiff, Capital of Wales

mikeyb118 wrote:

Pros vs Cons
Looking forward to it.
http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/4 … off270.jpg
Did they put Ponting on a stool to help with the pic and the height difference there?
Flecco
iPod is broken.
+1,048|6658|NT, like Mick Dundee

Oh boy, you bloody poms are just asking for it. We can kick your arses in just about every sport... Not all, just most.

Including Cricket...

Give us back what's ours...

Last edited by Flecco (2006-11-22 09:38:38)

Whoa... Can't believe these forums are still kicking.
mikeyb118
Evil Overlord
+76|6591|S.C.
Who did England beat to win the rugby world cup?
1927(h)

mikeyb118 wrote:

Who did England beat to win the rugby world cup?
Isnt that the game where you run with the ball?
1927(h)
Listen to the games here

http://www.bbc.co.uk/fivelive/sport/commentaries.shtml

Not available online, you will need a dab radio

Last edited by 1927(h) (2006-11-22 16:02:37)

TuataraDude
+115|6515|Aotearoa
As a Kiwi it is very hard to know who to back. The underdogs (England) or the team that consistently outperforms other teams most of the time and therefore must be regarded as one of the best in the history of the game.

I know.....go the umpires!! YAY!

Last edited by TuataraDude (2006-11-22 09:57:24)

1927(h)

TuataraDude wrote:

As a Kiwi it is very hard to know who to back. The underdogs (England) or the team that consistently outperforms other teams most of the time and therefore must be regarded as one of the best in the history of the game.

I know.....go the umpires!! YAY!
This is one of the only times you will hear me cheering on England, I never stand and shout "Come on England" cos as a Welshman its just un-natural.  However I want them to win as Ive mentioned.  I dont hate England in any way whatsoever, half of my family are English.  Im the same with the Paddies n The Jocks, I will want them to win most of the time, unless your playing us.

Im surpised you dont throw your weight behind 'Strayer. Or do you hate them that much?
TuataraDude
+115|6515|Aotearoa

1927(h) wrote:

This is one of the only times you will hear me cheering on England, I never stand and shout "Come on England" cos as a Welshman its just un-natural.  However I want them to win as Ive mentioned.  I dont hate England in any way whatsoever, half of my family are English.  Im the same with the Paddies n The Jocks, I will want them to win most of the time, unless your playing us.

Im surpised you dont throw your weight behind 'Strayer. Or do you hate them that much?
I don't hate them (I may not always like them though either! lol) but they can be so smug that it is very irritating. But then so can the English (I'm sure you can appreciate that). You see my dilemma?
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6614|London, England
I'm hoping to see some racist Aussies get their heads cracked by the police. They always come out at this time of the year.
commissargizz
+123|6456| Heaven
The Aussies are good at cricket and rugby and would kick our bottoms, but what else.

Oh and tennis.

and tiddle winks

and the weather

bollocks I'm moving to Oz
1927(h)

commissargizz wrote:

The Aussies are good at cricket and rugby and would kick our bottoms, but what else.

Oh and tennis.

and tiddle winks

and the weather

bollocks I'm moving to Oz
They'd beat us at Croc Hunting, Female singing contestants, we'd draw with the comedians, they beat England at soccer last time they played, Rugby League, probably drinking, surfing, bbq'ing,  shit shall I stop now?

As long as they loose the cricket I'm ok with the rest.
{uscm}Jyden
You likey leaky?
+433|6671|In You Endo- Stoke
Split between the 2,Mum's side is english,dads side is aussie.

Well i'm routing for england the better they play the better the competition.

Oh and would pick monty over ashley giles anyday.
1927(h)

{uscm}Jyden wrote:

Split between the 2,Mum's side is english,dads side is aussie.

Well i'm routing for england the better they play the better the competition.

Oh and would pick monty over ashley giles anyday.
Same here on the Monty selection too.  Giles can bat better but is too negative when bowling, Month takes wickets and keeps the score down.

Im gutted as even though work is busy I told 'em I was available after a great season in our local club's 4th team and yet again, I find myself overlooked.  Im peaking at my age aswell.
Jepeto87
+38|6678|Dublin
How dare you people create this thread! Cricket!!!!

Although the warning gives people fair notice, yet I still stumbled in here!

Last edited by Jepeto87 (2006-11-22 11:12:18)

Sarrk
O-O-O A-O A
+788|6648|Brisbane, Australia

My brother looks like Ricky Ponting.
{uscm}Jyden
You likey leaky?
+433|6671|In You Endo- Stoke

Sarrk wrote:

My brother looks like Ricky Ponting.
Does he have a scar on his left cheek?
ozzie_johnson
+98|6650|Penrith, N.S.W, Australia
new zealand will win the next world cup for union australia and england have no chance, as for the ashes cricket is a bit borning.
Penetrator
Certified Twat
+296|6501|Bournemouth, South England

1927 wrote:

It should read "POHMS" not Poms, or more accurately, P.O.H.M. which stood for Prisoner Of Her Majesty.  The term refers to those people who were shipped to Australia for commiting crimes.  It is a common misconception that the Australians have always refered to the British Nationals as "Pommies".  In recent decades, it has been used as a colloquial nickname, but in fact, refers to a White Australian, as they are the offspring of English criminals.

Everyday is a school day.
1927(h)

Penetrator_01 wrote:

1927 wrote:

It should read "POHMS" not Poms, or more accurately, P.O.H.M. which stood for Prisoner Of Her Majesty.  The term refers to those people who were shipped to Australia for commiting crimes.  It is a common misconception that the Australians have always refered to the British Nationals as "Pommies".  In recent decades, it has been used as a colloquial nickname, but in fact, refers to a White Australian, as they are the offspring of English criminals.

Everyday is a school day.
I had no idea, thank you.

That is not meant to sound sarcastic at all.
Cheez
Herman is a warmaphrodite
+1,027|6431|King Of The Islands

"Oh, it’s Cricket. Marvelous game, really. You see, the bowler hurls the ball toward the batter who tries to play away a fine leg. He endeavors to score by dashing between the creases, provided the wicket keeper hasn’t whipped his bails off, of course"
My state was founded by Batman. Your opinion is invalid.
1927(h)
First over.

1.  Ball went straight to 2nd slip (possibly the worst ball ever bowled) (wide called, 1 run)
2.  Down leg
3.  Dot ball
4.  Dot ball
5.  4 Runs
6.  4 Runs

7.  Down Leg

I knew I should of opened the bowling for them.  If thats to show whats due over the next 5 matches, we're fucked.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard