JahManRed
wank
+646|6628|IRELAND

Bernadictus wrote:

CameronPoe wrote:

Ironically my thread on Africa has ended in an almighty flame war and a ban!!!! Exactly why Bernadictus asked me not to make Israel/Palestine threads. He suggested I concentrate on the poor and hungry of Africa!!!! LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL
See why I said this forum is not mature enough for big-boy talk.
There are some babies on here but the more mature posters know who they are and glance over their rantings. Sometimes when you need a cheer up and a laugh, you have a read, but generally ignore. It is, was and always be a part of life in D&ST. The issues discussed here generally attract the posters here to put their point forward. Its because both sides are so polarized in their opinions that a flame war starts. Might I suggest that the flamers get warned/banned and not the topic, just because they use it to flame??? Anyho back on topic.

Africa..........
Africa is a big big mess. Ultimately Spain,Portugal, France and Britain are to blame as they colonized it. I'm not saying things would be any better if they hadn't, I'm saying that if we had stayed the hell out of there and let the African society develop at its own rate, (As the rest of us did)have their own Industrial Revolution, Renaissance etc,  then they would eventually find their own equilibrium. It may have taken years but they would have got their.
The colonial powers withdrew, but they left friendly puppet dictators in place with the wests interests at the forefront instead of the people of Africa's. Military Dictators are the norm as long as they keep their countries resources flowing unabated.

The IMF and World bank currently take the brunt of the blame for digging the Continent into even more debt. Making the situation hopeless unless the debt is canceled. By handing out loans by the handful to dictators who do not represent the people, you saddle the people with the debt, while the loan goes into the pockets of the regime running the country. The people then have to struggle to repay these debts instead of using their money to start an infrastructure which may get the place out of the hole it is in.

And finally I get to blame everyones favorites!! End game Fundamentalist Christians. Pumping millions into countries to build elaborate churches like bristling statues rising out of the filth when there is no clean water in the same town. Converting these people is easy when you tell them to prepare for when you will be 'raptured up to heaven', offers a glimmer of hope for these people as their present is so bleak. The backlash to this is that the people don't give a shit about roads or infrastructure or planting crops because we are all going to die soon anyway and we will be off to heaven.
deeznutz1245
Connecticut: our chimps are stealin yo' faces.
+483|6493|Connecticut
Acidkiller187, you have done something I honestly thought nobody could ever do, and I now loathe you for it. You have enabled me into agreeing with Jonismon, Ironchef, Dec45, Bubbalo and CameronPoe in the same thread. You sir, are an angry little homosexual man and you have no place in this forum. Go get bent, and just know that any response you may put about me or my mother will be ignored and unresponded to because you are a freak. By the way I am well aware that "unresponded" is not a word. Im fine with it.
Malloy must go
Dec45
+12|6641

deeznutz1245 wrote:

Acidkiller187, you have done something I honestly thought nobody could ever do, and I now loathe you for it. You have enabled me into agreeing with Jonismon, Ironchef, Dec45, Bubbalo and CameronPoe in the same thread. You sir, are an angry little homosexual man and you have no place in this forum. Go get bent, and just know that any response you may put about me or my mother will be ignored and unresponded to because you are a freak. By the way I am well aware that "unresponded" is not a word. Im fine with it.
Damn, I don't even know your opinion on anything but police, and you already loathe someone for having to agree with me? Wow. I'm sorry to hear that.

Last edited by Dec45 (2006-11-23 13:13:03)

deeznutz1245
+483|6493|Connecticut

Dec45 wrote:

deeznutz1245 wrote:

Damn, I don't even know your opinion on anything but police, and you already loathe someone for having to agree with me? Wow. I'm sorry to hear that.
I dont hate him for agreeing with you, read his insane posts. I loathe him for innapropriate mother references and I was commending you and the others for E-slapping him. Go feel sorry for someone else.
Malloy must go
rambo_killin_SOB
bunny hopping nade spammer
+61|6512
ask them if they want a cookie
Dec45
+12|6641

deeznutz1245 wrote:

Dec45 wrote:

deeznutz1245 wrote:

I dont hate him for agreeing with you, read his insane posts. I loathe him for innapropriate mother references and I was commending you and the others for E-slapping him. Go feel sorry for someone else.
Hm... Let me point something out for you, perhaps you didn't realize that you blatantly implied.

"Acidkiller187, you have done something I honestly thought nobody could ever do, and I now loathe you for it. You have enabled me into agreeing with Jonismon, Ironchef, Dec45, Bubbalo and CameronPoe in the same thread."

This would suggest, that you loathe him, because he made you agree with the said people, seemed out of your index of ability. This would suggest that you have a pretensive judgment on those listed, and have decided that you'll never agree with them. I'm included, yet you don't know my opinions on jack shit. So... Again, I'm sorry to hear that.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6651|USA

sergeriver wrote:

CameronPoe wrote:

What do you think should be done about the problems of malnutrition, disease, poverty and starvation in Africa?

How important an issue is it to you? I mean genuinely now. I don't want people feigning concern or lack of concern here - I want honest opinions.
I posted several threads about the fuck ups in Africa but nobody cares.
What do you want done? You bitch about the US involvement in the ME, yet you think we should go to Africa now?? Kinda wishy washy on your postion of the US involvent in world afairs aren't you??

Or do you honestly think we can go to Africa, solve all their problems, and nobody dies in the process??
MDFSpacePhantom
It is I
+146|6384|San Jose CA.
I have a cousin in the USMC, and he's going to be shiped out there soon. To do what I don't know.
Major_Spittle
Banned
+276|6655|United States of America
I wish Europe would start taking care of the problems in their neck of the woods.  Look at North and South America and how tidy, none warring, and generally prosperous it is.  Then look at Europe's side of the world.  And Europe is always trying to tell the U.S. how to do things and how wrong we are.  Maybe the U.S. should stop spending time and money in Protecting Europe.  Let the Chinease/Russians/N. Koreans/Iranians/Iraqis of the world loose on Europe and spend the savings creating more wealth, capitalism, and democracy in the Western Hemispheres so we can just protect our side of the world from the next group of Nazis that decide to pwn those 'peons.  I am tired of paying high taxes to support Wars and a military that benefit the World as much or more than it does the U.S.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6632|949

Major_Spittle wrote:

I wish Europe would start taking care of the problems in their neck of the woods.  Look at North and South America and how tidy, none warring, and generally prosperous it is.
Is that right?  The US Government and Business sector created more problems in South America than anywhere else in the world.  South America is hardly "tidy, no warring, and generally prosperous."

Get a clue.
Major_Spittle
Banned
+276|6655|United States of America

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

Major_Spittle wrote:

I wish Europe would start taking care of the problems in their neck of the woods.  Look at North and South America and how tidy, none warring, and generally prosperous it is.
Is that right?  The US Government and Business sector created more problems in South America than anywhere else in the world.  South America is hardly "tidy, no warring, and generally prosperous."

Get a clue.
Compared to Europe, Middle East, Africa, and Asia it is....... FTW  and the only reason Europe has enjoyed as much peace it has since WWII is because of A US MILITARY presence there.  If the US would have pulled out like we did after WWI Europe would have been the same mess it has been all through history.

Europe has always been a place you LEAVE from, America has always been a place you GO to. 

You get a clue.

Last edited by Major_Spittle (2006-11-25 17:32:28)

deeznutz1245
+483|6493|Connecticut

Dec45 wrote:

deeznutz1245 wrote:

Dec45 wrote:

Hm... Let me point something out for you, perhaps you didn't realize that you blatantly implied.

"Acidkiller187, you have done something I honestly thought nobody could ever do, and I now loathe you for it. You have enabled me into agreeing with Jonismon, Ironchef, Dec45, Bubbalo and CameronPoe in the same thread."

This would suggest, that you loathe him, because he made you agree with the said people, seemed out of your index of ability. This would suggest that you have a pretensive judgment on those listed, and have decided that you'll never agree with them. I'm included, yet you don't know my opinions on jack shit. So... Again, I'm sorry to hear that.
OOOH, my turn to point something out. It was meant to be comical! Yet you try so hard to sound so intelligent in your posts claiming I dont know your opinions when I read them after you have posted them on a public forum. Loosen up and go get laid.
Malloy must go
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6651|USA
Tell ya what: Since the EU thinks the US is nothing more than war mongers hell bent on pushing our will on the rest of the world, why don't YOU go to Africa and solve all of their problems, while the US sits back and watches. We then can tell you how fucked up you are and NOT offer to help or offer any solutions to the problems. OF, and if you know what is good for you, NOBODY better die in the process.
CommieChipmunk
+488|6570|Portland, OR, USA
every time i bring it up in a thread as something else that the us should be doing, i get shut down... I think its a major issue that really needs attention given to it..
BVC
+325|6696
Maybe Europe is sick of fighting?  I can't imagine two world wars in your back yard in half a century would be fun...

Last edited by Pubic (2006-11-25 21:33:11)

deeznutz1245
+483|6493|Connecticut

Pubic wrote:

Maybe Europe is sick of fighting?  I can't imagine two world wars in your back yard in half a century would be fun...
That European countries, respectively, created. Many countries fought in both of those wars and it wasnt even their/ our fight.
Malloy must go
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6651|USA

deeznutz1245 wrote:

Pubic wrote:

That European countries, respectively, created. Many countries fought in both of those wars and it wasnt even their/ our fight.
ouch!!
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6651|USA

CommieChipmunk wrote:

every time i bring it up in a thread as something else that the us should be doing, i get shut down... I think its a major issue that really needs attention given to it..
Ok it is a major issue, when is the EU going to address it? Remember, nobody wants the US policing the world, we are supposed to stop enforcing our will on everyone......You can NOT have it both ways. The US is not a genie in a bottle, for the EU or the UN to beckon whenever THEY feel like it, or need it.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6601|132 and Bush

Are countries like Sudan still unwilling to allow UN troops? If so how can you help them when the the militias take all the aide we send and use it to their benefit?
Xbone Stormsurgezz
aardfrith
Δ > x > ¥
+145|6792

CameronPoe wrote:

What do you think should be done about the problems of malnutrition, disease, poverty and starvation in Africa?

How important an issue is it to you? I mean genuinely now. I don't want people feigning concern or lack of concern here - I want honest opinions.
Sorry for reviving the thread but I missed it when it came out.  At the time, I was on holiday in Egypt (by coincidence, part of Africa).  This being the only time I've stepped foot outside Europe, I wanted to spend some time seeing real people living real lives in a completely alien culture to what I'm used to.  And driving from Taba to Cairo, I saw precisely that.

The Sinai desert is typical of the areas where malnutrition, disease, poverty, etc. are rife.  The word "desert" is apt - it's a place that's completely uninhabitable by Western standards and yet the Bedouin make it their home and have done for centuries (millennia?).  Only within the last decade or two have parts been opened up by tourism, as water pipelines and 1st World money make it possible to create permanent settlements.

However, 1st World money will only be pumped into places that can turn a profit.  The place I stayed had five 5* hotels in a resort on the Red Sea, created at massive expense but located where it will make a profit.  This obviously is not the answer for everywhere, not least of all because it will kill the local culture, but it can draw in money and give jobs locally.

By the way, staying in Taba Heights gave me the opportunity to take a quick (one-day) glimpse into Israel and WOW.  What a cultural difference there is between Egypt and Israel.  But that's for another thread...
ElMorte[OwP]
Expert Opportunity Misser
+9|6557|Bikini Bottom Germany
We should not  have grant them independence. I think they would be better of if there still were european colonies.
SlightlySto0pid
+7|6450|New York
From reading the 1st page, the problem in Africa is that people aren't looking for solutions they are looking for people to blame. If Africa is to be "saved" we will have to forget the past and work toward the future. Same with most of the world's problems. Too bad it will never happen, looks like Africa's screwed. Iraq/Iran/Afghanistan anyone?

Last edited by SlightlySto0pid (2006-12-04 20:04:23)

{BMF}*Frank_The_Tank
U.S. > Iran
+497|6578|Florida
the U.S. should donate millions of Power Bars

They are healthy.
BVC
+325|6696

deeznutz1245 wrote:

Pubic wrote:

You're right it wasn't our fight, but it was the right thing to do, and the people our grandparents went to help actually wanted us there.  I think Darfur would be different in that respect.
deeznutz1245
+483|6493|Connecticut

MDFSpacePhantom wrote:

I have a cousin in the USMC, and he's going to be shiped out there soon. To do what I don't know.
kill
Malloy must go

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard