spawnofthemist
Banned
+1,128|6633|Burmecia, Land of the Rain
ythnku.
Magius5.0
+106|6373|UMass Amherst
hrm...pretty good guide, covered a lot of the basics.  I have a guide coming up detailing all the ground vehicles and combat tactics for individual+squads (it's about 80% done and been working on it for a while, but I want to make it look nice with pics) so I'll include you in the credits. 

One thing you are right about: a walker with two excellent pilots will spell the death of scores of enemies, and prove to be a titan of terror.  But I know one of two weaknesses...me and my beloved Engineer kit while being stealthy...or if all else fails...  *pulls out RDX* JIHAAAAAADDD!

(check my stats to see how many I've killed, it's a lot)
Buzerk1
+44|6828
@ Magius5.0 ...stats? where??
Drax
Paddles/Plane Whore
+28|6552|Australia, NSW
great guide, and i gotta agree about the noobs who hop in ur vehicle and get killed straight away. happens all the time

only other thing for mech vs tanks is at a range. both tanks have the advantage over the mech if they can stay hidden and accuratly blast u from a distance. my advice is either run or dodge, or try to close in on them.

and hanging back a little bit from the action also helps, u die much less and can mash infantry without worries of rdx and mines

Zefar
+116|6641|Sweden
With the Walkers I have some problems taking out infantry due to this reason. The main guns are so weak in the splash area so they need an direct hit but that cloud of death only cause huge lag to the opponent and thus making him harder to hit. It also give him a great deal of cover. Though you need like 2-3 hits to kill but still they got enough time to hide if they are close to a corner. That never was a choice with the Mec Chopper. :3 All thou that one raped the infantry quite well.

Also I'm not bad at aiming but most guns in BF2142 need an SPOT ON hit to kill even those on Gunship and Transport chopper. Like COME ON EA. And sometimes my aim is on but it won't hit >.<

Also Motion Mines. Once triggered you can't escape it. I tried to jump out once but it still went after it. So if you hear that sound just back away from the area and hope for the best.

Leaving your Mech alone at any time is bound to make someone enter it and steal it. It's the thing people do nowdays. Same thing is in BF2 unless you play on a "GOOD" server.
jkohlc
2142th Whore
+214|6518|Singapore

spawnofthemist wrote:

[note = not sure if the AA EMP on the secondary seat of the walker will disable a vehicle, can someone confirm?]
yes it works btw...but u will have to be REALLY close to the enemy vehicle and aim really low...for some reasons...the AA EMP Missile fly straight up to the sky when fired..
LT.Victim
+1,175|6554|British Columbia, Canada
You forgot a pretty useful Tactic in a walker.

If a Tank is shooting at you from Very Far Range.

Rush Towards the Tank while holding down Shift and run in a "S" Pattern, and when you get close enough, unleash hell.

He will most likely get confused trying to aim back and forth, and by the time he understands what you are doing, he'll be seeing "you will respawn in: 15s"
spawnofthemist
Banned

jkohlc wrote:

.for some reasons...the AA EMP Missile fly straight up to the sky when fired..
hmm.. i wonder why
[PIGGED]_Golgotha
+0|6559

LT.Victim wrote:

Rush Towards the Tank while holding down Shift and run in a "S" Pattern, and when you get close enough, unleash hell.

He will most likely get confused trying to aim back and forth, and by the time he understands what you are doing, he'll be seeing "you will respawn in: 15s"
This is pretty much the right tactic if facing a tank at range - however some tank soldiers KNOW you will do this and will have laid motion mines BEFORE they opened up on you.  They then lure you over the mines as you charge.  Clever tank guys will have placed these out of sight so you wont even know until you are the one reading the spawn text.

As a lone wolf engineer with over 90 walkers taken down so far I promise you that this is a very satisfying kill!

Golgotha
[PIGGED]_Golgotha
+0|6559
On a seperate note I think the guide is excellent and covers every aspect of the Walker, I would add only the following thoughts:

As they tend to live so long I sometimes find myself running low on ammo (I am not that experienced inside the walker though - so it might be less of a concern than I let myself think!) - so I quite like to work in a team where one vehicle has an engineer and the other has a supply (not an issue if you are using the walker defensively and your commander responds to requests for supplies).

If you are piloting a walker and have an AA gunner upstairs - then as stated VOIP is pretty essential.  The main thing we will co-ordinate is a word (usually AIR!!) that he can yell when he sees a flyer.  When he yells, I'll stop moving if possible (ie stopping wont get us both dead) in order to give him a stable platform from which to fire at the flyer.  (And as the writer of the flyer guide said - Walkers = Death).

Learn to recognise the dust puffing up from the ground as an EMP strike comes in.  If you are in conquest mode you can bet theres a bombardment right behind it.  When the dust puffs up you have 3 or 4 seconds to move - and you dont need to move very far to be safe.

Golgotha
التعريفات
Squiggles
+102|6359|Cali
Nice guide spawn...+1
WilhelmSissener
Banned
+557|6725|Oslo, Norway
thanks...
psH
Banned
+217|6375|Sydney

spawnofthemist wrote:

This one has the potential to fuck you up. Plain and simple.
HA!
Drax
Paddles/Plane Whore
+28|6552|Australia, NSW

Zefar wrote:

Also Motion Mines. Once triggered you can't escape it. I tried to jump out once but it still went after it. So if you hear that sound just back away from the area and hope for the best.
i think u can use the engineer thing to defuse them, u can use the zellar sniper if ur recon to shoot them and it detonates/dissapears(as dos rdx + apm's)

and ive had them disappear before after waiting 2 mins or so with them activated
spawnofthemist
Banned

Zefar wrote:

I covered motion mines.

If you move, they move.
If you don't, they dont.

Get out and defuse. Or leave one if you think someone will try and steal it.
Delphy
+45|6577|Bristol, UK
I find the tanks a lot better than the walkers. You've got much better range, and are much less of a target. Everyone attacks the battlewalkers, I always get emp-ed and then taken out.
Drax
Paddles/Plane Whore
+28|6552|Australia, NSW
i find the apcs better than tanks (esp fall of berlin + some other close combat maps)
keep it to urself or get a good driver, dont let a noob in. sit in 2nd seat and own infy up from a distance. walkers and tanks targeted on more, and u can escape easier.

woot for 18.5 k/d ratio in apcs
JohnLeavitt
+16|6435

LT.Victim wrote:

lol that is  my favorite battle walker tactic it so owns those "artillery" tanks

Last edited by JohnLeavitt (2006-11-22 10:10:22)

VeNg3nCe^
¦Tactics Øver Principles¦
+314|6697|Antarctica
The T32 Nekomata has always been easier to kill to me, there are a few tricks that will let you always win.  First, use his fixed cannon against him; circle around the tank while sprinting and try to get behind him.  Because he has a fixed turret and no treads, all you really need to do is get behind him and hes dead.  If he tries to back up he will hit an obstacle after a while and pin himself down, giving you an easy kill.  If he charges, the cannon is too inaccurate and the tank turns too slow, giving you another free kill.  If he tries to be an artillery tank, chances are he will not be able to hit you due to the wobbling gun.
Magius5.0
+106|6373|UMass Amherst
Another note for the motion mines: RDX can detonate them if you have Recon kit, but no Zeller handy.  just be sure you don't cook yourself when it goes off.  Or, if there's a recon buggy nearby, boost it, bail out, and let the mines chase it...giving your walker a clear avenue.
WilhelmSissener
Banned
+557|6725|Oslo, Norway
Sticky, no no-one is going to read it!
Buzerk1
+44|6828
Oohhh nooo, it's now a sticky.....
JimmyBotswana
+82|6577|Montreal
Try to avoid walking backwards if possible
T0rr3nt
+54|6569|Michigan
you forgot have the not so fucking retarded teammate unlock, where they actually spawn as engineers and defuse and repair...
Gillenator
Evils Bammed Sex Machine
+129|6386|Evilsville
How do you raise your shield by the way??

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard