OpsChief
+101|6675|Southern California
As avid loyal BF2 players we are well indoctrinated and accepting (or resigned lol) in the EA patch release process. But something changed this time around and begs a few questions. If I hadn't been a regular BF2s/other BF2 community participant I would be wondering what is going on.

The existence of 1.41 is a mystery in the US at first. Unless you are an active BF2 community participant (I mean activity outside the game) you would never know that there is a new patch. You would have to ask or use the typical indicators from EA.

What EA did and didn't do this time:

No "Official Release" notice in the Game Login - instead you get 2142 "buy it now!" advertising. Now with the BF2 servers moving ahead installing 1.41 what the uninformed user gets is alot of red text in his game browser. If your favorite servers are listed unavailable and the only EA message says Buy 2142 what are you likely to conclude?  (not everyone reads, reads well, can find EAs BF2 page etc...)

It is in the EA downloader but so is alot of other stuff so how do people know what is "required"?

Why is only a Full 530mb file available? (I know what I have read, why the lag between full and incre? Why not release them later and together?)

Why at least as of yesterday is there no announcement on the BF2 page? (very confusing, I submitted a ticket to EA Support and they would not say "Official Release" they just said D/L it here...URL)

There is a weak announcement on EA UK BF2 page last I checked from another thread in BF2s but nothing like the 1.40 and previous patch publicity.

Why did they change their release process?

Some EA strategy possibilities:

Malicious: EA takes a page out of Microsofts playbook and nerfs BF2 client/server relationships during the first 30 days of BF2142 release intending to increase frustration with BF2 and drive people to BF2142

Incompetent: Somebody forgot to make an official release announcement

Arrogant: The community will figure it out why waste $omeone to tell them, what real damage could it do?

EA it doesn't look good but take your pick of the above choices.

I admit I may have gotten up from bed this morning feeling old and grumpy but can anyone add a good reason for what EA did this time?
san4
The Mas
+311|6687|NYC, a place to live
They are sloppy idiots. It shows in everything they do.
FesterTheMolester
BF2s US Server Admin, IRC>Forums
+157|6639|The Mind Of A Cereal Killer

san4 wrote:

yeah... your right.. they only
A. designed a game that obviously has all of us here hooked
B. Make a hella' lot more money than all of us here
C. Have been around for longer than some of us here....(yeah, there are probably some 8 yr olds around)
D. Created Madden, as well as hundreds of other titles that we all play, and don't complain about
E. Are one of the biggest software companies in the world

Oh yeah, that really screams sloppy idiot to me... quit with the EA bashing, it's ridiculous

My personal belief on the subject is that it was a mistake made by some low level grunt who forgot to submit the changes to the website. As for the lack of warning whenever you log on... i haven't had any patch announcements show up whenever i log on... maybe a day or two after the patch is released, but never on the day.

anyways, those are my opinions on this craze of EA bashing..... just quit... if you don't like the way they handle things, stop playing their games, have fun finding one that's not
adam1503
+85|6387|Manchester, UK
I remember reading somewhere that EA had trouble writing an incremental patch for what they wanted to change, so instead they added the changes onto 1.4 and released it as yet another full patch.  Apparently, the only thing it does is fix some server crashes. 

Anyway, I think the reason for there being no announcement about it is that theyre ashamed at not being able to write an incremental patch and would rather we didnt know about it from them.  The only way I found out about it was when the company that runs our clan's servers updated the software on the servers.
OpsChief

FesterTheMolester wrote:

san4 wrote:

C. Have been around for longer than some of us here....(yeah, there are probably some 8 yr olds around)
D. Created Madden, as well as hundreds of other titles that we all play, and don't complain about

Oh yeah, that really screams sloppy idiot to me... quit with the EA bashing, it's ridiculous

My personal belief on the subject is that it was a mistake made by some low level grunt who forgot to submit the changes to the website. As for the lack of warning whenever you log on... i haven't had any patch announcements show up whenever i log on... maybe a day or two after the patch is released, but never on the day.

anyways, those are my opinions on this craze of EA bashing..... just quit... if you don't like the way they handle things, stop playing their games, have fun finding one that's not
lol I hope I didn't sound like I was bashing EA(yet), I am still just asking questions, gathering information and opinions. If I can confirm that they are playing us or if is turns out one of the other two possibilities I will comment accordingly. lol

It's been more than a week and still no Official EA US announcement and they still spam BF2 login with BF2142 advertisements.

As to the other reply I think the only reason BF2 gets so much attention about bugs and hacks is the stats and perhaps multiplayer mode as well. Other EA single player/nonstat games were made to be hacked because it doesn't hurt anybody.
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6736|Oxferd Ohire

FesterTheMolester wrote:

That is the only reason I don't bash them for all they have done.

I <3 Madden
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
acidkiller187
+123|6629
I stilllike bf2 though
Xblade-3o5-
Oi, Suzy!
+113|6752|Florida, United States

FesterTheMolester wrote:

san4 wrote:

Not to burt your bubble, but EA DID NOT MAKE THE GAME, it was DICE, EA just publish this.
Zolow
Mr.Jihad
+8|6419|Tabriz, Iran

Xblade-3o5- wrote:

FesterTheMolester wrote:

san4 wrote:

Not to burt your bubble, but EA DID NOT MAKE THE GAME, it was DICE, EA just publish this.
Yea that's a very good FYI.
bobgreen5s
+0|6690

FesterTheMolester wrote:

hmm... you can't compare personal wealth to company wealth
LaidBackNinja
Pony Slaystation
+343|6708|Charlie One Alpha
Let's face it. EA sucks dick. Nothing to do with BF2. They just suck more ass than those vacuum toilets you have on space-stations. GO valve! Go valve!
"If you want a vision of the future, imagine SecuROM slapping your face with its dick -- forever." -George Orwell
greygoose
+0|6364

OpsChief wrote:

It is in the EA downloader but so is alot of other stuff so how do people know what is "required"?
It is not on EA link.  Anyone who has downloaded it from there, post a screenshot for proof.
OpsChief
I got home a few hours ago from holiday and logged into BF2 to help get the server started. When I got to the game browser the hair stood up on the back of my neck! <--- not really I just had a haircut

THERE!!! In the login screen was a notice for the long awaited and much anticipated  official release of 1.41 patch!!!!!!!!!! and a tiny little add for 2142 lol

Why was I amazed? I opened an EA support ticket last weekend to complain about the lousy patch release process this time around. Of course the impotent support staff couldn't answer my question (not their fault) so the ticket went unresolved with unsatisfactory result. Then on 11/22 they sent me a customer satisfaction survery asking what they could do better..........  ahh hahahahaa

I gave them a few suggestions  (really in a nice way - no flaming, really. I just asked them, in 50 words or more, to re-evaluate their marketing ethics).

Did they hear me? Hear US? no, it , just, can't, Be....

Note on location, I'm not sure I understand your point but this is where I D/L from ftp://largedownloads.ea.com/pub/patches/BF2/1.41/    approx 11/15
A member of THB club got it from his EA downloader  approx 11/15 also

Last edited by OpsChief (2006-11-26 21:43:38)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard