It's unquestionable US is the World's Superpower at this moment.  Despite the motivations, US removed Saddam from Iraq.  Saddam was a dictator, he killed a lot of people, that problem is solved.  Now, US and Coalition forces should help to establish a "true" Democracy in Iraq and they should try to fix the civil war in that country, before leaving.  I criticized Bush a lot of times (I know), but what is done is done. 

US has now an incredible opportunity to rebuild its image.  And Bush should use his time left at the office to help the Middle East achieve peace.  How can this be done?  It's no easy task, but it can be done.  Now the Dems are in control of the Congress, GWB will be more flexible in certain issues.

First of all, I will be fair, and I won't ask US to quit all its support to Israel, but US needs to get harder on Israel.  What does this mean?  Well, US voting against Israel in the UN Security Council every time Israel commits a crime would help.  If US votes this way Israel will change a bit its policy.  By doing this, US will obtain more respect from Muslim countries, and specially from Muslim extremists.  This more neutral position will help to avoid future terrorist attacks.  But they are extremists, so they won't stop so easily. 

At the same time, the UN backed by US and the Western Countries should help to define the "Definitive Borders of Palestine" with the status of a Country recognized by all the World, and to rebuild Lebanon.  Another step to show the Muslim extremists that the West is not unfair and one sided as they think. 

The rebuilding of Lebanon is a matter of money, so that shouldn't be hard.  The borders of Palestine is another story.  This should be done with caution and I don't know exactly how.  But this "NEEDS" to be done.
Once Palestine borders are defined, both Palestine and Israel, will have their own homeland, and they'll need to learn how to live with each other.  They'll need to end hostilities, and in fact Palestine will be the first one to accept that since they will have what they always wanted, their own homeland.

It's a win-win situation for everyone.  The Middle East achieves peace, and the US and the West get rid of the terrorism shadow.

It sounds like a science-fiction movie, but if the UN, US and the whole West take the first step, the next ones will be easier.  It's up to "us".