RavyGravy
Son.
+617|6422|NSW, Australia

lets not flame America there is nothing wrong with America...well nothing I want to comment on
Reciprocity
+721|6597|the dank(super) side of Oregon
Australians are just Canadians with cute accents.
13rin
+977|6495

<<<FTDM>>>Gen.Raven wrote:

this is mainly for the Aussies but do you think our government is trying to be to much like America?
Is there anything wrong with that?
I stood in line for four hours. They better give me a Wal-Mart gift card, or something.  - Rodney Booker, Job Fair attendee.
Superglueman
+21|6376|The Great South Land

Sh1fty2k5 wrote:

Read the other day that the temperature in Sydney was just above 8C in mid-summer when we had about 23C late fall... The world is goint to an end
It is actually late spring. And for those of you who think America gives us nothing you can thank them (and some other western countries) for the crazy weather - hole in the ozone layer is over Australia.

Back to the topic.
The reason for concern about our government becoming Americanised is because we want to be Australian. Any American should understand patriotism ( at least it seems that way from your television) Unfortunately Australia is so young and has barely had time to develop a culture of its own before being bombarded by Americanism AND immigrant cultures. Its not that these things in themselves are bad but combining them with an undeveloped culture and a limited sense of country identity, causes the loss of what little culture we once had.

We are becoming a country with out culture - indeed very MULTI cultural which in effect leads to none as they all blend and disintegrate. With no sense of unification it gives the current generations a sense of culture shock and a feeling that we are being washed away. That we have no belonging, no roots and no common ground. I think this is true of all Australians.

There seem to be two sides only in Australia to fight it - be against the Americanism that is on our television and in our government or be against the multicultural acceptance and tolerance of everything and everyone. This in our country, rightly or wrongly is called racism. (And is an extremely volatile, frowned upon subject) I'm not sure if it is racism but perhaps a symptom of the loss of our national identity.

Australia is having an identity crisis. That is why a thread like this is so important to us Aussies.
But yes, our government is too Americanised and I hope you (Australians) are all going to the I.R protest tomorrow in your capital city.
DrunkFace
Germans did 911
+427|6697|Disaster Free Zone

Superglueman wrote:

I hope you (Australians) are all going to the I.R protest tomorrow in your capital city.
Give me 1 good reason to. In fact just give me any reason, it doesn't have to be good. I'd protest against the protesters but that would be kind of hypocritical. IR laws don't go far enough, ban the unions, bunch of corrupt leech's.
RavyGravy
Son.
+617|6422|NSW, Australia

DBBrinson1 wrote:

this is mainly for the Aussies but do you think our government is trying to be to much like America?
no but i just think we need to revert to our old culture
BVC
+325|6711

DrunkFace wrote:

Give me 1 good reason to. In fact just give me any reason, it doesn't have to be good. I'd protest against the protesters but that would be kind of hypocritical. IR laws don't go far enough, ban the unions, bunch of corrupt leech's.
I have a friend in Brisbane who was fired without reason, and he can't take it any further because Australia's labour laws suck arse.
DrunkFace
Germans did 911
+427|6697|Disaster Free Zone

Pubic wrote:

DrunkFace wrote:

I have a friend in Brisbane who was fired without reason, and he can't take it any further because Australia's labour laws suck arse.
There's always a reason. If he was an asset to the company he would not have been fired. Companies do not fire people if they make the company profitable, or just for fun. It costs too much to train new people. I don't know the situation but all I can say is work harder next time.
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6691|Canberra, AUS

DBBrinson1 wrote:

It would be nice if we actually had our own identity.

What if someone thought you were too much like Europe? How would you respond?
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
ozghost
Mr piss EVERYONE off
+48|6726|Kangarooland

Spark wrote:

DBBrinson1 wrote:

It would be nice if we actually had our own identity.

What if someone thought you were too much like Europe? How would you respond?
Depends what 'fuck you' was in French i guess.

You do have a point though regarding our own identity.
Superglueman
+21|6376|The Great South Land

DrunkFace wrote:

There's always a reason. If he was an asset to the company he would not have been fired. Companies do not fire people if they make the company profitable, or just for fun. It costs too much to train new people. I don't know the situation but all I can say is work harder next time.
That shows complete lack of understanding . I also know people directly affected. At my wife's work their was a woman there who my wife says was an asset to the company loved by staff and parents but she updated her skills and became a liability due to her pay increase,  She refused to go on a fortnightly contract , where she had to give them four weeks notice but they gave her none.  (They wanted to fill her position while she was still there and then get rid of her) it would have only cost them an extra 5000 a year to keep her. Its now cost them that much and more to advertise, pay casuals and finally fill the position. Not to mention bad relations with the parents and community. The head office make budget cuts all the time and now give any old excuse to fire you including harassing another work member who had been there 10 plus years - why because she'd been there 10years and they had to pay her more. They simply replaced her with a less experienced less costly individual. (My wife didn't like her anyway but thats not the point) Tell me then how do you become an asset to a company? Loyalty, service and qualifications stand for nothing and companies seem to think it is cheaper to train someone  - and frankly it is. Thats only one reason why these IR laws don't work. If you truly want to know check out the rights at work website. (i won't be posting it here I'm sure you can find it.) Otherwise you can argue with people there on their forums about it. I only made a passing comment in the spirit of the current  thread.
BVC
+325|6711

DrunkFace wrote:

The reasons were somewhat personal.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard