+156|6548|Sydney, in 1978
lol
..teddy..jimmy
+1,393|6666
I was born in sydney
Mongoose
That 70's guy
really? where abouts in sydney? and in what year?
..teddy..jimmy
+1,393|6666

Mongoose wrote:

1990, i cant actually remember the name but I lived in Australia near Manly for 6 months
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6733

Mongoose wrote:

Fullay sick cronulla maaaaaaaaaaaate
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Invaderzim
Chicken wing?
+49|6465|Newcastle NSW Australia

cyborg_ninja wrote:

Mongoose wrote:

Fullay sick cronulla maaaaaaaaaaaate
LOL. Hormoorgoord Habbib, I pump for you like a subwoofa!
mcminty
Moderating your content for the Australian Govt.
+879|6738|Sydney, Australia

dubbs wrote:

like Dell who have chosen to go there instead of India.  This is not totally because of the cost of labor, but the fact that Australians speak English more like the people in the States do.  Yes it is cheaper to have employees in Australia, but if it was all about money, they would stay in India.  (I know that in the long run it is about money, since they do not loose as many customers, or that you have to pay extra to get a tech in Australia.)
Generally a very level headed post. Thank you.

I have chosen this part however because it is 'complete bull'. Dell makes their computers in some SE Asian country (Thailand or Malaysia).

The last 5 times I have phoned customer support, for both my computer and my grandma's, I have gotten an Indian support person.

Ok, type VQY and hit enter. V for Victor, Q for Quebec, Y for Yankee... (and so on)
But hey, that's globalism.

Mcminty.
DrunkFace
Germans did 911
+427|6698|Disaster Free Zone
Holy Fucking shit Dubbs.. and you wonder why people think Americas full of arrogant assholes. Maybe if you took your head out of your ass and realised the US is not the centre of the universe then people may get along a little better.

dubbs wrote:

I know that LotR was not filmed in Australia, but a movie like that helps the economy where ever it is filmed
What the Fuck did the US do? It was a fully NZ written and directed film. The only thing that had anything to do with America was New Line Cinema who produced the film. Do you think they funded the film to help the NZ economy or because they would make a profit?

dubbs wrote:

I could list a lot of things just in technology that the US either created or provided the ability to us to other nations, but are not given credit for it.
Do you give credit to other countries that also create lots of new technologies? or is it just a one way street to suck up to America.

dubbs wrote:

but those nations forget or over look that some simple things were first developed in the US, and if we wanted to we could have keep them "secret" to just the US.
During WW II even before America entered the war all technologies where freely exchanged between alliance. The British gave America RADAR which would have prevented pearl harbour. America gave military support.

dubbs wrote:

If the US wanted to, they did not have to share the technology.
Where would America be without other countries? America doesn't actually invent much, they just develop existing technologies further.
Automobile: Germany
Jet Engine: Germany, UK
Computer: Germany, UK, USA
Nuclear Power: Germany, USA (with German Scientists)
Gun Powder: China
Concrete: Romans
Electricity: USA -> Battery: Italy
Telephone: Belgium, USA
Internet: USA
Transistor: Germany

If we need to thank any country it should be Germany. But every country has invented or discovered different things, and many things are developed simultaneously in different countries as well as joint research being made by countries together. The USA is blessed with a huge land area rich in natural resources, which makes for a good economy with money to spend on research making it a popular place for scientists around the world. It really doesn't matter where things are invented in todays world it usually has many different people from many different countries giving there collective input.

As for Australia becoming too Americanised.
Politically we have always been close to America and England and this relationship is unlikly to change and apart from the war in Iraq (which I'm not totaly against) theres very little wrong with the arrangement.

Economically Australia has also always traded heavily with the US and UK, but due to global position we have started to trade alot more in SE Asian, Japan, South America and have now got strong ties with the biggest market ion the world of China.

Socially and culturally is where I see the problem. With so much American TV(media) and introductions of American companies we are slowly losing our identity to American ideals and ways of life. Our 'slang' is going and many traditions are being lost. I'm not saying everything American is bad its just nice to have ones own identity.
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6692|Canberra, AUS
Australia > You.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
Mongoose
That 70's guy
lol @ spark
..teddy..jimmy
+1,393|6666

..teddy..jimmy wrote:

Australia=land full of ex-cons
America=Land full of cons
Mongoose
That 70's guy
rofl @ someone quoting them selves
..teddy..jimmy
+1,393|6666

Mongoose wrote:

rofl @ someone quoting them selves
..teddy..jimmy wrote:

America=Land full of cons

mcminty

..teddy..jimmy wrote:

..teddy..jimmy wrote:

Yeah, 230 odd years ago England were Kings of the World.

... alot can change in 230 years.
..teddy..jimmy
+1,393|6666

mcminty wrote:

..teddy..jimmy wrote:

..teddy..jimmy wrote:

Yeah, 230 odd years ago England were Kings of the World.

... alot can change in 230 years.
No shit
Mongoose
That 70's guy
i wish it was 1978....
Flecco
iPod is broken.
+1,048|6682|NT, like Mick Dundee

McMinty, get your "Australia owns: Europe/America/Africa/other/blahblah" .gif out again... Hehe.

Woohoo for having more uranium than any other country on the planet!
Whoa... Can't believe these forums are still kicking.
mcminty
... forget about it.

EDIT: written in response to Teddy.
Adams_BJ
Russian warship, go fuck yourself
+2,053|6640|Little Bentcock
bring on the .gif!
mcminty
https://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y116/mcminty/ausowns.gif
dubbs
+105|6649|Lexington, KY

DrunkFace wrote:

dubbs wrote:

If the US wanted to, they did not have to share the technology.
Where would America be without other countries? America doesn't actually invent much, they just develop existing technologies further.
Automobile: Germany
Jet Engine: Germany, UK
Computer: Germany, UK, USA
Nuclear Power: Germany, USA (with German Scientists)
Gun Powder: China
Concrete: Romans
Electricity: USA -> Battery: Italy
Telephone: Belgium, USA
Internet: USA
Transistor: Germany
Shows your lack of history.

Computers (First Modern): ENIAC  (Considered the first computer by most historians).
Nuclear Power:  USA  (Remember we were the first to drop the A-Bomb)
Battery:  Try Eygpt. 
Concrete was not created by the Romans, they just made a better concrete then most societies during their time.

There is a debate on who created the telephone first.  Some say Bell by the matter of a few hours.

As I stated in my post that I know that the technology would have happened, but how much longer would it had taken?  I know that the LotR did not help NZ's economy that much, but it did help it.  You can not deny that.  Not only did New Line spend money during that time, but think of how many fans will spend money just to go to the spots that the film was shoot. 

Also, I do not think that America is the center of the world.  I am just stating some the things that other people seem to forget.  Another thing, I am person who enjoys other cultures, and want to learn about them.  I am a person who enjoy learning about other cultures, and actually know about some that most people do not.  I had this impression since I was about 14 years old, when a lady visited our school and was speaking about Kenyians who know more cities in my state, then most of the people in my class.  I was in awe because of this and wanted to learn about other cultures.  I know that America is not the center of the world, but they have and do effect a lot of the world, which people seem to forget.

Last edited by dubbs (2006-11-19 03:22:41)

Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6733

Spark wrote:

Australia > You.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Flecco
iPod is broken.
+1,048|6682|NT, like Mick Dundee

Also, Australia lost a higher percentage of it's young men to WW1 and 2 than any other allied nation I believe. Kinda crappy considering how our economy was trying to establish itself during those years and had a depression to work around.

EDIT

In viewing this thread... I think it is safe to say that Australian's are more arrogant than any other demographic on these forums...

Last edited by Flecco (2006-11-19 02:57:32)

Whoa... Can't believe these forums are still kicking.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard