blisteringsilence
I'd rather hunt with Cheney than ride with Kennedy
+83|6722|Little Rock, Arkansas

OpsChief wrote:

The Sobriety Checkpoint was just one example no? Why can't police randomly check for no license/insurance or unsafe vehicles? Or Amber Alert perimeters? What is the Abuse of Power here?

Having been stopped over the years maybe 40 times I have never experienced an abusive officer - they tend to respond well to "yes Sir" "yes Ma'am" and straight talk. Almost everyone gets upset when it's "FU MOFO it's a free country and I should be able to yak yak yak".  If you are the perpetrator and get stopped don't blame the cops lol  that drama should be left to Made for TV Movies.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
QFT

These are the checkpoints that I have either participated in, know someone who has participated in, or know someone who has been stopped at one:

Sobriety Checkpoint
Documents Checkpoint (looking for out of date registration, expired/suspended licenses, no insurance, underage/unlicensed drivers)
Amber Alert Checkpoint
Escaped Prisoner Cordon
Fugitive Perimeter
Illegal Alien Checkpoint (you see lots of them in southern Arizona/New Mexico, they're ICS checkpoints with BP that are looking for smugglers?
Toll Checkpoints (1-2 miles past the toll station on a toll road, they catch those that jump the pike pass station)

And they're all legal.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6672|USA

Bubbalo wrote:

So whoever a cop says is an asshole is an asshole?  What if two cops disagree?
enough already bubbalo: bottom line, you act like a jerk you will be treated like one. and yeah, in the situation of dealing with cops, it is his prerogative to determine that, NOT yours,
..teddy..jimmy
+1,393|6670

Dec45 wrote:

..teddy..jimmy wrote:

Dec45 wrote:

Um no... I'm not going to 'get over' people breaking the intent of the constitution. How about you 'get over' the fact some people like their freedoms preserved. It is not hardly seen in the modern world. It's clear that you don't know what you're talking about for one thing, and secondly you're accepting the revocation of inalienable rights. You're a pawn. Don't try and rub off on me.
Ok, I'm a pawn. Yes this may happen but a utopia will never be achieved. These kind of situations will always happen.

you're accepting the revocation of inalienable rights.
WOW, your protesting on a battlefield 2 forum site. Show me a vid of you protesting infront of the whitehouse and my respect for you will rise.
Sure, let me drop my life real quick, pack my bags and fly over to Washington...

Sorry, I don't live in fantasy money world...

Utopia and my opinion of what those cops should've done, is not synonymous.
What kind of crappy justification is that. If you are so passionate about the subject then money wouldnt stand in the way of your views. You could just walk
Dec45
+12|6661

OpsChief wrote:

Dec45 wrote:

blisteringsilence wrote:

OK, I guess its time for me to chime in. I'm a Sheriff's deputy. Badge and the whole nine yards. Now, I am not a patrol or investigations officer, I'm a medic and rescue diver, but I work with those who are on a daily basis. And let me tell you, its about as shitty a job as exists.

Despite what those here want you to believe, motor vehicle checkpoints ARE legal. Depending on state law, they are either sobriety checkpoints, or vehicle registration checkpoints. They have been found legal by the Supreme Court [Michigan Department of State Police v. Sitz, 496 US 444 (1990)], as well as have a foundation in case law with almost every state (see this site for more details).

This woman broke the law. There is no constitutional right to drive a car. That privilege is granted by the state government, and there are strings attached. Sobriety checkpoints are one of those strings.

If a police officer asks you to identify yourself, you are legally obligated to do it. To not do so is the very definition of obstruction of justice. She broke the law. She got arrested. If she'd handed over her license, registration, and proof of insurance like she is LEGALLY REQUIRED TO DO, she wouldn't have had this problem.
That's funny, because I saw many other cars drive by the checkpoint from the daytime when the video starts, to the night time when the video ends. It was completely random. It was not anything like a sobriety checkpoint.
The Sobriety Checkpoint was just one example no? Why can't police randomly check for no license/insurance or unsafe vehicles? Or Amber Alert perimeters? What is the Abuse of Power here?

Having been stopped over the years maybe 40 times I have never experienced an abusive officer - they tend to respond well to "yes Sir" "yes Ma'am" and straight talk. Almost everyone gets upset when it's "FU MOFO it's a free country and I should be able to yak yak yak".  If you are the perpetrator and get stopped don't blame the cops lol  that drama should be left to Made for TV Movies.
As the video sais, it's the 4th amendment. 'The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.'

It shouldn't matter that driving a car isn't a right, the same as it doesn't matter that owning a house isn't a right. You shouldn't be subjected to random, baseless searches without probable cause. The only reason vehicle isn't included in the constitution, is because it was written in 1787. Logic will tell you, that if you can't be stopped and searched of your papers as you walk down the street for no reason, nor have a knock at your door and be searched the same way without reason, then why is it any different when you're in a car? We're secure in our persons and houses, but not when in our cars?
Dec45
+12|6661

OpsChief wrote:

Dec45 wrote:

OpsChief wrote:

I once saw a brief breakdown of these stats on CSPAN I think it was, I don't trust my memory to send you to the bank with my numbers but....  In various cities/states in the US between 5-9% of arrests also have "excessive force" complaints filed.

California in 2005 for example had 1,508,210 filed arrests. That would mean 70-120k abuse cases (filed not convicted) http://ag.ca.gov/cjsc/publications/cand … ble16.pdf.  The 5-9% I got from scanning several sites. Of those complaints some ranged from bruises due to handcuffs and bumps on the head going in the back seat of a patrol car to a much smaller number of open beatings/shootings etc. Unfortunately I found no single site that broke it all down and none that compared all factors of the arrests.

No Sir I think your 10,000 times more number of unfilmed abuses idea will fail because there can't be more incidents of arrest abuse than there are arrests.

Maybe someone with search engine mastery can call up the stats in one massive, hopefully neutral lol if even possible site. If there is such a ubiquitous problem of abuse I don't want to hear OPOs (other peoples' opinions) about it. Just show me the data, I can add.
I think you'd be surprised at how many cases don't go to court, and end up in pleas. You'd also be surprised to find that because of that, many times excessive abuse is involved, and no one goes to court and files over it.
I bet I would not be remotely surprised. I think the complaints are also likely suspect in validity. The unreported/unfiled events may be because the person knew they were wrong and didn't want to blow things out of proportion.
So if you did commit a crime, cops don't have to worry about how they treat you, because you won't fight the initial case? That's completely fair and just?
Dec45
+12|6661

..teddy..jimmy wrote:

Dec45 wrote:

..teddy..jimmy wrote:

Dec45 wrote:

Um no... I'm not going to 'get over' people breaking the intent of the constitution. How about you 'get over' the fact some people like their freedoms preserved. It is not hardly seen in the modern world. It's clear that you don't know what you're talking about for one thing, and secondly you're accepting the revocation of inalienable rights. You're a pawn. Don't try and rub off on me.
Ok, I'm a pawn. Yes this may happen but a utopia will never be achieved. These kind of situations will always happen.

WOW, your protesting on a battlefield 2 forum site. Show me a vid of you protesting infront of the whitehouse and my respect for you will rise.
Sure, let me drop my life real quick, pack my bags and fly over to Washington...

Sorry, I don't live in fantasy money world...

Utopia and my opinion of what those cops should've done, is not synonymous.
What kind of crappy justification is that. If you are so passionate about the subject then money wouldnt stand in the way of your views. You could just walk
I'm assuming this is a joke.
Dec45
+12|6661

blisteringsilence wrote:

OpsChief wrote:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
QFT

These are the checkpoints that I have either participated in, know someone who has participated in, or know someone who has been stopped at one:

Sobriety Checkpoint
Documents Checkpoint (looking for out of date registration, expired/suspended licenses, no insurance, underage/unlicensed drivers)
Amber Alert Checkpoint
Escaped Prisoner Cordon
Fugitive Perimeter
Illegal Alien Checkpoint (you see lots of them in southern Arizona/New Mexico, they're ICS checkpoints with BP that are looking for smugglers?
Toll Checkpoints (1-2 miles past the toll station on a toll road, they catch those that jump the pike pass station)

And they're all legal.
They all involve vehicles... Why is that?
Erkut.hv
+124|6756|California
Wow the police spent all that friggin time digging thru her car? It's night time and the tape is still rolling? Wow.
UON
Junglist Massive
+223|6674

Dec45 wrote:

It shouldn't matter that driving a car isn't a right, the same as it doesn't matter that owning a house isn't a right. You shouldn't be subjected to random, baseless searches without probable cause. The only reason vehicle isn't included in the constitution, is because it was written in 1787. Logic will tell you, that if you can't be stopped and searched of your papers as you walk down the street for no reason, nor have a knock at your door and be searched the same way without reason, then why is it any different when you're in a car?
You don't need to prove ownership of your legs, and you don't need a licence to operate them.  So asking for your papers would be futile and pointless.

And police can stop you 'for a chat' without cause, but they need a reason to search you.  Refusing to give your name would be equivalent to not showing your driver licence, and I imagine would be reason enough to search you. 

Dec45 wrote:

We're secure in our persons and houses, but not when in our cars?
Ever been on a plane?  You can be searched at any time, and you need to carry a passport with you (at least you do here in the UK... it might be a photo id or something for internal flights in America, i dunno).

lowing wrote:

Bubbalo wrote:

enough already bubbalo: bottom line, you act like a jerk you will be treated like one. and yeah, in the situation of dealing with cops, it is his prerogative to determine that, NOT yours,
That's always my advice when dealing with the police... be polite and cooperative and they'll often return the favour.  Plus it helps if you go to court.  And you are in no way threatening they might decide not to cuff you, which might help dispose you of anything which you perhaps shouldn't have.  Of course, there are some police who will be violent and vicious without reason, but you'd have to be quite unlucky to be in a situation composed purely of this type without any who present who respond to reason.  So I almost agree with you.  Except I'd add that there are definite exceptions to the 'you get treated like your actions deserve' rule.  Perhaps proving it true?
ronmexico86
+2|6403

Dec45 wrote:

As the video sais, it's the 4th amendment. 'The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.'

It shouldn't matter that driving a car isn't a right, the same as it doesn't matter that owning a house isn't a right. You shouldn't be subjected to random, baseless searches without probable cause. The only reason vehicle isn't included in the constitution, is because it was written in 1787. Logic will tell you, that if you can't be stopped and searched of your papers as you walk down the street for no reason, nor have a knock at your door and be searched the same way without reason, then why is it any different when you're in a car? We're secure in our persons and houses, but not when in our cars?
The issue Dec45 is bringing up, from what I can see, is the word "unreasonable." Is is unreasonable to have these checkpoints? Personally I don't think so. While I do agree that the officers went beyond after the lady was a bitch, perhaps without probable cause (she did only just refuse to show her ID), the fact that this lady did not provide her id, a simple thing to do, in order to prove what sort of point? It takes hardly any time to just show your papers to a cop, especially if there is nothing wrong and its just a checkpoint. I mean, coming back from Mexico, getting on a plane, coming back from Canada, and at a sobriety checkpoint(the only experiences I've had where its just a checkpoint situation) I just show my driver's license and it's sort of glanced at, depending on the night I get asked a question, and that's that. Which doesn't seem too unreasonable to me...
     On the main issue of this thread, police using excessive force happens, but it's not frequent and certainly better than no police at all (as long as it continues to be infrequent). My father is a firefighter and my neighbor is a police captain, so its safe to say I've met my fair share of police officers and they've never used excessive force and while they have had a few stories of something that seems like excessive force (especially the ones from Palo Alto who know people who work in East Palo Alto(another city), which is in Northern CA, USA and it's definitely not a safe place) I disagree that cops constantly abuse their power.
Agent_Dung_Bomb
+302|6757|Salt Lake City

Dec45 wrote:

IRONCHEF wrote:

Dec45 wrote:

Go find a link on what are the laws of pulling over someone. You can't pull someone over, knock on their door, or stop them in the street randomly without probable cause and ask them for I.D, then arrest them if they don't present it.

EDIT: Let me just add that I have been abused by the police on numerous occasions. Nothing about my opinion put the argument to rest. If you would like a detailed description of my encounters, the encounters of some of my friends and even some links... I'll present them for you.
Ask a cop.  Probable cause can be created on the spot, not that you need it.  And in that video, the lady was pulled over at a check point..she wasn't randomly pulled over.  Once you are pulled over, they have the right to ID you because that is how cops net fugitives and people with warrants.  that's probable cause enough.
Probable cause cannot be made up, without some affiliation to a true subject they're looking for. Again, I ask... Why do you think she won the case? Because there was no probable cause. See, the thing some of you are missing, is that the checkpoint, whether approved or not... is UNCONSTITUTIONAL.
Check points are not unconstitutional.  They frequently run them around here during the holidays looking for intoxicated drivers.  Once in awhile they will run them to verify valid license/registration/proof of insurance. 

Such checkpoints are not a federal matter.  These are set at state, county, and city levels.
cpt.fass1
The Cap'n Can Make it Hap'n
+329|6716|NJ

UnOriginalNuttah wrote:

Dec45 wrote:

It shouldn't matter that driving a car isn't a right, the same as it doesn't matter that owning a house isn't a right. You shouldn't be subjected to random, baseless searches without probable cause. The only reason vehicle isn't included in the constitution, is because it was written in 1787. Logic will tell you, that if you can't be stopped and searched of your papers as you walk down the street for no reason, nor have a knock at your door and be searched the same way without reason, then why is it any different when you're in a car?
You don't need to prove ownership of your legs, and you don't need a licence to operate them.  So asking for your papers would be futile and pointless.

And police can stop you 'for a chat' without cause, but they need a reason to search you.  Refusing to give your name would be equivalent to not showing your driver license, and I imagine would be reason enough to search you. 

Dec45 wrote:

We're secure in our persons and houses, but not when in our cars?
Ever been on a plane?  You can be searched at any time, and you need to carry a passport with you (at least you do here in the UK... it might be a photo id or something for internal flights in America, i dunno).

lowing wrote:

Bubbalo wrote:

That's always my advice when dealing with the police... be polite and cooperative and they'll often return the favor.  Plus it helps if you go to court.  And you are in no way threatening they might decide not to cuff you, which might help dispose you of anything which you perhaps shouldn't have.  Of course, there are some police who will be violent and vicious without reason, but you'd have to be quite unlucky to be in a situation composed purely of this type without any who present who respond to reason.  So I almost agree with you.  Except I'd add that there are definite exceptions to the 'you get treated like your actions deserve' rule.  Perhaps proving it true?
Stooping you for a chat and asking your name?? You shouldn't have to give a police officer your name ever, if there is no reason to.. If a criminal came up to you and asked your name would you give it to them? The only difference between some Police and Criminals is the badge gives them a right to take away your money? That's just retarded and a massive violation to people which most of the masses is OK with, because they passed a Psyche test and where given a gun.. Most of the kids that I knew growing up who became police officers were fucked up individuals, and I can say that they didn't change that much from social gatherings when I've meet them. They are people who walk over the laws because they ARE above them.

UnOriginalNuttah we've all been on planes and searches is something that you agree to when purchasing your ticket, the Airlines are privately owned and the purchase of the ticket is you agreeing to there laws so Civil Laws don't count in that instance.

I'm all for being polite and courtesy, but as a civilian(which is the same as a cop but without the badge and gun) you have to be well aware of your own rights, and shouldn't let the police violate them ever.. The woman in the car was absolutely in the right and will still have this mark on her record even though it was thrown out(which is bullshit as well). Bottom line is that if you are OK with the police taking away your rights, even in one instance you shouldn't be able to call yourself an American, you are about as patriotic as a fascist or a communist when you are OK with one of these instances happening. And I belive that was Rush Limba in the video talking? A strong right winger who see's these instances as wrong?
OpsChief
+101|6697|Southern California

Dec45 wrote:

OpsChief wrote:

Dec45 wrote:

I think you'd be surprised at how many cases don't go to court, and end up in pleas. You'd also be surprised to find that because of that, many times excessive abuse is involved, and no one goes to court and files over it.
I bet I would not be remotely surprised. I think the complaints are also likely suspect in validity. The unreported/unfiled events may be because the person knew they were wrong and didn't want to blow things out of proportion.
So if you did commit a crime, cops don't have to worry about how they treat you, because you won't fight the initial case? That's completely fair and just?
Logical Fallacy and not answering my comment. You need to be able to deal in percentages not absolutes.

That "Some people don't complain" does not mean all people do or don't.  If someone didn't commit a crime, abused a cop during the arrest process and the cop got rough they have a choice to complain, if they feel they should be able to abuse law enforcement without retaliation then they will probably file. If they recognized they provoked the action they will likely not file. There are many variations of this I will not explain them all. But that doesn't mean they aren't there.
Pug
UR father's brother's nephew's former roommate
+652|6563|Texas - Bigger than France

Dec45 wrote:

Sorry folks, you can't pull someone over and check their I.D without probable cause of a violation of law. Let me ask you something...

Who won in court, and was acquitted of all charges? The lady you all said broke the law. Thanks for playing.
You can at a checkpoint.

And, if the lady isn't carrying her ID or proof of insurance...well guess what happens?

That's the law.  If she won in court, she had a very good lawyer...and she was lucky.
TheOneAndOnlyX
Banned
+36|6395|Florida, USA
Our forefathers are totally against this, they were all opposed to such criminal acts the British imposed on them such as the writs of assistance which is exactly what this is. A warrantless search for no harm done or anything.
cpt.fass1
+329|6716|NJ
And not for nothing, but generally it's the right wingers who are for police abuse no matter how little it is. I always thought true conservatives are against government involvement..
OpsChief
+101|6697|Southern California
answers to some recent replies:

A reason to search can be that a crime was commited with x miles and x minutes of your location and you meet the available description of the perpetrator.  The description may be vague for many reasons. Asking for a DL is not violating personal papers - you don't own your State Drivers License the state does!!!

Vehicles did exist in 1787!!!!  wtf is a horse and buggy?

Once a stop is made a persons demeanor and actions may dictate probable cause in the eyes of the officer. If you are beligerent or evasive suspicion arrises "why is this person screaming at me for asking for a DL? hmmmm, maybe I need to ask more questions to find out what is wrong"...

Cops make mistakes as much as anyone else but forcing a situation that may cause a mistake is just as bad as a hidden speed trap or planting evidence. Activities which a small percentage of people engage in on both sides but the police have the added problem of people using every little mistake to take to court for a settlement.

There were three blind men from Iowa standing on a road in Africa.  Something bumps into all three of them at once and they each proclaim they know what it is. "It's a snake like creature" shouts the first "it is long and winding around my arm!!!". The second replies "no no no sir, it's more like a giant cow but stringy hair and saggy skin!", the third discredulously exclaims "you guys are stupid this is a tree trunk with strange prickly bark!" What they found was an elephant but each could only describe a small part they came in contact with but, still with confidence, declared it the "Whole Truth". To take sides on this issue so broad and complex ignoring valid points is the only real obstacle to solving the problem.
UON
Junglist Massive
+223|6674

cpt.fass1 wrote:

Stooping you for a chat and asking your name?? You shouldn't have to give a police officer your name ever, if there is no reason to.. If a criminal came up to you and asked your name would you give it to them? The only difference between some Police and Criminals is the badge gives them a right to take away your money? That's just retarded and a massive violation to people which most of the masses is OK with, because they passed a Psyche test and where given a gun.. Most of the kids that I knew growing up who became police officers were fucked up individuals, and I can say that they didn't change that much from social gatherings when I've meet them. They are people who walk over the laws because they ARE above them.
By stopping for a chat, I mean asking for you for information a recent crime in the area or some other reason without needing suspicion that you have been involved in a crime.  E.g., an informal chat.  Where they may ask you to account for yourself, including giving your name and where you are going.  Failing to give that would be raise suspicion. I've been stopped sooo many times, and arrested plenty too.  Here's an example where I would have been arrested if I hadn't accounted for myself:

I walked out of my front door... about 100 metres down my road the police roll up in a car, jump out and demand my name and address and where I'd just come from.  They asked if I'd been in trouble with the police.  I answered honestly (including details on my extensive rap sheet), and after they namechecked me they said they'd stopped me because there had been a report of domestic abuse from my a house opposite mine.  Since I'd given details which checked out without flinching or hestitating, they let me go on my way.  The funny thing is I had a load of weed on me and if I'd lied about any of the three points they'd asked about, they could have quite rightfully seached me, and found the weed.  Luckily I was aware that they actually can demand that information, and didn't try to be a false hero based on some rumours of what rights you have when dealing with the police gained from an internet forum. 

You have rights, yes.  And you can choose to say nothing to the police and settling things at the station.  But if you know the police officers rights and powers then you will know when it is in your interest to protect them, and when it is not.

cpt.fass1 wrote:

UnOriginalNuttah we've all been on planes and searches is something that you agree to when purchasing your ticket, the Airlines are privately owned and the purchase of the ticket is you agreeing to there laws so Civil Laws don't count in that instance.
And the roads are publicly owned, but there are still laws.  Essentially, a country is  a privately owned airline with the citizens as the shareholders.  And they (in theory) have approved the laws.  And they can ask to have them changed.

cpt.fass1 wrote:

I'm all for being polite and courtesy, but as a civilian(which is the same as a cop but without the badge and gun) you have to be well aware of your own rights, and shouldn't let the police violate them ever..
Except when it's in your interest to do so, because you will arouse suspicion or cause yourself to be arrested.

cpt.fass1 wrote:

The woman in the car was absolutely in the right and will still have this mark on her record even though it was thrown out(which is bullshit as well).
If it was thrown out, it won't be on her record.  Although they mention that she got off the assault and resisting arrest charges, but it doesn't say what happened to the obstruction of justice to which she was originally arrested.  I suspect that charge may have stuck.  And I suspect that she was more aware of her own rights than the rights of the police in that particular situation.

cpt.fass1 wrote:

Bottom line is that if you are OK with the police taking away your rights, even in one instance you shouldn't be able to call yourself an American, you are about as patriotic as a fascist or a communist when you are OK with one of these instances happening. And I belive that was Rush Limba in the video talking? A strong right winger who see's these instances as wrong?
Without the power to suspend rights, police can't make arrests.  By their very nature arrests are a suspension of rights.  Ensuring the power is used correctly is a more worthy cause than calling for it's abolition.

I don't deny that police abuse their powers, but stopping people at checkpoints and asking for proof that they are legally entitled to operate their vehicle doesn't count, IMO.

Last edited by UnOriginalNuttah (2006-11-20 14:00:38)

ronmexico86
+2|6403

cpt.fass1 wrote:

And not for nothing, but generally it's the right wingers who are for police abuse no matter how little it is. I always thought true conservatives are against government involvement..
There are few people who support police abuse, if even any at all (personally I don't know any). The fact of the matter is that there will ALWAYS be people who abuse power, but in the United States (and in other countries I'm sure) when people, police included, abuse their power, and get caught, they get punished.
cpt.fass1
+329|6716|NJ
Very good points Unoriginal, but in all seriousness and IMO where does this all stop? Someone brought up a good point about the home searches, if it's in the interest of the community why don't they do random searches on homes looking for meth labs and the sorts? The probable cause could be a shady looking person walking into the home?

The power to suspend rights should only be used in the right circumstances, the video show was not one of them. Also with the current laws in place, they can slap anyone with a fine at any time. She might have got off the two of the charges but I'm sure it probably cost her a couple of thousand dollars to do so.

I'd rather be robbed from a crimal of the 40 dollars in my pocket then stoped for no reason and blow a couple of thousand on a wrong charge...
cpt.fass1
+329|6716|NJ

ronmexico86 wrote:

cpt.fass1 wrote:

There are few people who support police abuse, if even any at all (personally I don't know any). The fact of the matter is that there will ALWAYS be people who abuse power, but in the United States (and in other countries I'm sure) when people, police included, abuse their power, and get caught, they get punished.
What do you think happened to the police who abused that woman? And the real problem is, as the Police power grows and the civilians power shrinks who is going to police the police?

And if you read the past 3 pages of this post you will see how many people actually support it by defending the arresting officers actions..

Last edited by cpt.fass1 (2006-11-20 14:15:43)

IRONCHEF
+385|6511|Northern California
I actually think the police in that video were quite professional and calm.  I didn't think they abused that woman at all.  (we're talking about the OP video, right?)
cpt.fass1
+329|6716|NJ

IRONCHEF wrote:

I actually think the police in that video were quite professional and calm.  I didn't think they abused that woman at all.  (we're talking about the OP video, right?)
Yeah, but they stated they had no reason to stop her. Which means she had no reason to give ID, if they stated a Valid reason to pull her over then I'd agree with you.

Like Maam your tail light is broken, can we see some ID.

Why does no one understand that no probable cause=no reason for her to show ID, it's the american way. Then not only that they trumped up a bunch of additional bullshit charges against her. It wrong on so many Levels.

Example; You're walking down the street not paying attention to where you're walking and accidently bump into a police officer. And get arrested for assult, which is a mandatory jail term I think. Is that fair and constitution that you have to now go to court and fight that charge?
IRONCHEF
+385|6511|Northern California
Actually, they didn't trump up charges against her, they charged her for obstruction of justice.  They, stopped her, lawfully, then proceeded with their duties to ID her and verify that she is the registered owner and driving with current registration.  The stop, being a road block is the probable cause.  The procedure they performed was lawful due to the road block.  Her giving any threatening language or actions then bring us to the level of discretion for the officer.  They followed a well established and typical police practice that will continue every day they're in that uniform.

What happened in the court doesn't invalidate their procedures or the lawfullness of their procedure.  Next time they'll "find" something to qualify for probable cause..as is the case with more experienced officers. 

Your example of bumping into an officer has little to do with this topic, but if it did happen, it is going to be the officer's word against yours..and yes, we should hope there's no such officers who would do that.
cpt.fass1
+329|6716|NJ
Stopped her lawfully, for no reason? If that's lawfully they need to change the laws in that state because it's unconstatutional..

Ok I'm terrible sorry but I am not a trusting person, and there are alot of weirdo's out their and putting a uniform on someone does not make them exempt from that. Now this is a single woman driving down the road and being pulled over. Now lets say this officer has some kinda emotional problem and is looking to find out where she live, so he can do something to her later. Now why isn't this even a consern, that uniform means jack shit. It means they passed a 6 month course and a psyce exam.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard