CackNBallz
+45|6741|Toronto, Canada
I have a question about being a bomber co-pilot.  In the off-chance that I do get in with a bomber pilot before he takes off without a co-pilot or another one takes the position, how does one effectively use the laser-guided missiles?

I see that I can look about 90 degrees to the each side and close to vertically down while in the laser-missile mode, but have only gotten kills while looking relatively straight ahead.  Can you guide the missile after it has been launched?  I am experienced in almost all facets of this game except for the jets.

I recently bought a Saitek Cyborg Evo to get a little practice in single player and have failed miserably in ranked servers so far. I tend to learn things pretty quickly, but I get frustrated with constantly being chased around for 5 minutes. So I would like to hone my co-piloting bombing skills for cathartic reasons.
[CANADA]_Zenmaster
Pope Picard II
+473|6744

Keep the gunner crosshair just below the nose cone of the plane as you can only get good shots in that forward view, not sideways, so keep your view close the nose of the plane as opposed to all over the place. That way you can tell where your pilot is heading and what he's aiming for.

You can lock on to enemy targets and press fire and it will autotrack to the target as long as your pilot doesnt fly past.

If you don't have lock, you can guide your missle by pointing the crosshair where you want it to go - It's like a laser dot and the missle follows the laser dot to the best of its ability.

The missle has a huge splash damage, it will wipe up all sorts of stuff in its splash damage, vehicles included, so spamming the missles where people spawn, or grab vehicles is good policy.

It's better to rely on your anticipation of where things will/ought to be and guide the missle manually, waiting for lock only works with great pilots and you won't use it often.

Also, the ground radar you have in your missle view is very slow to distinguish friendly from foe, it has to get up close and then it will put the X in the window meaning friendly - so careful of your tk's its quite easy to tk a lot and eveyone will punish when they get hit by friendly planes, it seems to be ground pounder policy. In real life, ground troops are blessed to see friendly pilots in the skies, in BF2 its PG DN PG DN!

Last edited by [CANADA]_Zenmaster (2005-11-30 22:20:57)

Jester.retseJ
+4|6730|Toronto, On

CackNBallz wrote:

I have a question about being a bomber co-pilot.  In the off-chance that I do get in with a bomber pilot before he takes off without a co-pilot or another one takes the position, how does one effectively use the laser-guided missiles?
The laser guided missiles, like the tv guided missiles on helos, are one shot kills. It takes approximately 2 seconds of looking at a target for there to be a lock-on.

You will even say "I've got a lock on him." at that point.

However, just because it says you locked onto the target doesn't mean it has. Firing a shot just like that will almost never hit where you want it to. It will only highlight him in a box.

What you want to do AFTER firing the missile is put your crosshair dead center on this highlighted box and LEFT CLICK again. This second click is actually your laser pointer and that's when it finally locks onto the vehicle you want to hit.

Like Zenmaster stated, always point your view forward if you want to use missiles, it's very rare to hit anything other than straight on. But you can use the lock-on to find targets and then let your pilot know where to fly and/or bomb next.

Jewbat wrote:

That's how I do it in Wake because those stupid F35's are so damned slow!
You CAN catch up to MIGs and J-10s with an F-35. The trick is to use gravity. Always fly a bit higher in these jets and when you spot the faster planes, engage your pursuit by diving to intercept them first. In this way, as discussed in some of the links to diagrams i posted, you sacrifice some altitude for speed which will allow you to hang with the speed demons for a short period of time.

You can get two of these periods on each engagement. The first on your initial dive to intercept. The second is when you're level behind them and you start losing the initial momentum, dive below them again sacrificing some more altitude for speed, and re-engage them from slightly below. If you don't manage to shoot them down in these two windows, break off, gain back your altitude and wait for another chance.
Absinthe
+18|6755
man - this is an amazing post. GOLD to the eyes !
I've enjoyed reading every post on all the pages.

Good stuff.
Jewbat
+8|6728
Oh I know that trick, used it countless times. What about when the J-10/Mig-29 pilot catches on and starts to defeat it?
[CANADA]_Zenmaster
Pope Picard II
+473|6744

Jewbat wrote:

Oh I know that trick, used it countless times. What about when the J-10/Mig-29 pilot catches on and starts to defeat it?
There's not much hope for you if you're the F35 then lol.

If I was the F35 in that scenario, I'd just start mass bombing their team to make them put pressure on the J10 to chase me down, that way you are taking enemy tickets, and making the J10 stop bombing to get you. If the J10 refuses to pay you any attention then its a bombing race and the better/luckier pilot will win that scenario so its not a bad idea if you a) like to bomb b) can evade J10/Mig trying to ass rape you the entire bombing run and c) like accumlating points!

It's better then fruitlessly chasing a J10 or Mig around and getting no score for it, and teammates who don't even understand the benefit nor congratulate you. I've heard this before "Damn our pilots aren't doing anything" and you sigh to yourself after keeping the J10s off the team; its a thankless task basically.

Also, as a side note, when I see a rookie in the MIG29 on Oman (only one mig) I gleefully let him fly as long as he can stay in the air, knowing I'd rather have the Mig in a rookies hands then deal with an expert in it. I'll take out the su34 regardless, but your team would thank you if they had the brains that a rookie is doing horribly in the Mig then if an expert is raping everything in sight. It's not worth the two points to shoot 'em down, because you can bomb their team into submission while their rookie pilot keeps that vital slot occupied. If its a map with two J10s then I'll take anyone out regardless should the opportunity present itself.
Ty
Mass Media Casualty
+2,398|6773|Noizyland

"I'm looking to the sky to save me
Looking for a sign of life
Looking for something to help me burn out bright
I'm looking for a complication
Looking cause I'm tired of lying
Make my way back home when I learn to fly."

Foo Fighters rule. I saw them live last Friday. Blew me and my eardrums away man...
...sorry, just thought this topic would be best to say that in... maybe not.
[Blinking eyes thing]
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/tzyon
Jewbat
+8|6728

[CANADA]_Zenmaster wrote:

Jewbat wrote:

There's not much hope for you if you're the F35 then lol.

If I was the F35 in that scenario, I'd just start mass bombing their team to make them put pressure on the J10 to chase me down, that way you are taking enemy tickets, and making the J10 stop bombing to get you. If the J10 refuses to pay you any attention then its a bombing race and the better/luckier pilot will win that scenario so its not a bad idea if you a) like to bomb b) can evade J10/Mig trying to ass rape you the entire bombing run and c) like accumlating points!

It's better then fruitlessly chasing a J10 or Mig around and getting no score for it, and teammates who don't even understand the benefit nor congratulate you. I've heard this before "Damn our pilots aren't doing anything" and you sigh to yourself after keeping the J10s off the team; its a thankless task basically.

Also, as a side note, when I see a rookie in the MIG29 on Oman (only one mig) I gleefully let him fly as long as he can stay in the air, knowing I'd rather have the Mig in a rookies hands then deal with an expert in it. I'll take out the su34 regardless, but your team would thank you if they had the brains that a rookie is doing horribly in the Mig then if an expert is raping everything in sight. It's not worth the two points to shoot 'em down, because you can bomb their team into submission while their rookie pilot keeps that vital slot occupied. If its a map with two J10s then I'll take anyone out regardless should the opportunity present itself.
I never thought of that! Good idea. I HATE it when some moron gets into a plane when I've been waiting for it. Though I try not to wait for it because that's wasted time and a wasted soldier that isn't fighting.

I can usually fight another Mig-29 with a F35 pretty well, though it's hard. Just F35 vs J10 is impossible. If it was even pilots, is there really any way to down a J10 in your opinion?
[CANADA]_Zenmaster
Pope Picard II
+473|6744

No aerial tricks in BF2 with even pilots will down a J10 in a short period of time. A decent pilot will be constantly checking the rear view and easily out maneuver and out airspeed the F35. You can hope to get lucky though, but the J10 has such an easy runway for repair that you don't have much chance getting two rockets in a row.

You might get lucky if you catch the J10 pilot getting greedy, or lazy with the repairing, or if the J10 pilot doesn't know your a good pilot then you might get some luck. Problem is, once the J10 pilot knows theres competition about, you don't stand a chance, and the fight will turn to the J10 chasing you down instead of vice versa.

Best bet, steal the second J10.

Of methods I totally don't approve - you can assrape the runway before the J10 can get off the ground.
While this is a "valid" tactic - If this happens to me, I tell the other team that they will get it right back at the first opportunity and it won't stop until the round ends. This results in total carrier rape and the so-called hot shot jets doing the airfield raping leaving the server because they can't get anymore unchallenged easy kills. If there were two good pilots both attempting to rape eachohters airfields, I'm afraid the server would be a nightmare for everyone and the fun would approach 0.

Bottom line, you can win once against a J10, but you won't win more then that. Steal the other J10 and level the battlefield or go on a bombing rampage and keep the J10 occupied chasing you. I prefer bombing insanely, and parachuting onto the spare J10 if I get a chance.

Edit: An important note for F35 vs J10 pilots, the J10 outperforms the upper turn of the vertical S maneuver as for whatever reason it has a higher turn radius/airspeed/maneuverability at heights of 500-900 ft. More importantly, the J10s missles will track and HIT an F35 attempting to finish the split S maneuver at these heights - I have done this many times and it is a great thing to note. Try doing the maneuver in the F35 and you'll see what I mean, it suddenly becomes sluggish and cannot finish the turn very well at these heights. Another important note, the F35 looses control at a lower altitute ~900 ft, then the J10 ~1000 ft, and if you are a gambling man, you can perform the S in the J10 at a bit higher altitude then you might normally be comfortable, but the result will be the J10 will barely loose control while the F35 will loose total control. I've seen this a lot too.

Last edited by [CANADA]_Zenmaster (2005-12-02 20:36:52)

Jester.retseJ
+4|6730|Toronto, On

Of methods I totally don't approve - you can assrape the runway before the J10 can get off the ground. While this is a "valid" tactic - If this happens to me, I tell the other team that they will get it right back at the first opportunity and it won't stop until the round ends.

Another important note, the F35 looses control at a lower altitute ~900 ft, then the J10 ~1000 ft, and if you are a gambling man, you can perform the S in the J10 at a bit higher altitude then you might normally be comfortable, but the result will be the J10 will barely loose control while the F35 will loose total control. I've seen this a lot too.
a) Cheers to that. Although there are quite a few people who think baseraping is totally fine, this being a war game and all, i do not like it at all even from my own teammates. I think it's cheap... no other reason. And i do exactly the same thing, ask them nicely to stop once and if they continue i give them a dose of their own tactics. It's funny how quickly they start whining once they can't get off the ground.

b) Always check your rearview constantly. "Crazy Ivans"

c) Every plane has a lower speed threshold where they lose complete control. The loss of control is because the wings are not generating enough lift. The higher you go, the thinner the atmosphere. The steeper the climb the less air passes over the top of the wing. When this is about to happen, immediately put the nose of the plane DOWN. The dive down will increase your speed, increase the air flowing over your wings and so create lift. The reason the J10 can bare higher altitudes and steeper climbs longer is because it's basically a rocket shape, and rockets are meant to be launched straight up.
Hansim
+1|6736
@[CANADA]_Zenmaster: THX a lot for taking the trouble to make so many videos - great work, and a pleasure to view !

@Jester.retseJ: Jester, i have seen that you have also experience in other maps, not only in "Wake Island 2007". Nothing <against> Wake Island 2007, but the map is IMHO one of the easier ones, meaning no hills, no huge smokestacks, etc to crash into. Additionally there are no mobile AAs to bring some more "ground competition" into the round.

This is IMHO an excellent "aviator thread" and with more players getting past the very basic flight levels some of us might also take the competiton on other intersting maps. Those other maps might claim totally different demands towards the pilot - tactics, skills etc.
I think it would be very, very interesting to read and see also something about Dragon Valley, FuShe Pass and for e.g. about the handling of the mobile AAs etc.
BTW. also thx for your informative posts - good reading, too !
Jewbat
+8|6728
Hey, Canada if you have one of the IM methods, I'd love to talk to you. I came back from work and got onto a Dalian Plant server, and flew both F35 and J10. Now that you say about the entire F35 sluggish turns thing, no wonder I was getting pissed! Those missles were hitting me mid-turn and it was really annoying the hell out of me.

So far I've got the single bomb down, easy. I hit my targets almost 99% of the time. Also I have it down where I can recognize helicopters and gun them down with bombing sights. (This is MUCH harder with Chinese Helos as they are semi-camouflaged.)

But I cannot get the tactict without aiming. Basically your "dumbfire" missle technique is quite hard to pull off, and I've gotten several easy kills when I do get it to work (Mostly BHs.) but is there any special thing you do? I  may be cutting it too close and the missle actually fires to the left/right of the helo because I am so close.

Last edited by Jewbat (2005-12-03 08:18:54)

[CANADA]_Zenmaster
Pope Picard II
+473|6744

Hansim wrote:

@Jester.retseJ: Jester, i have seen that you have also experience in other maps, not only in "Wake Island 2007". Nothing <against> Wake Island 2007, but the map is IMHO one of the easier ones, meaning no hills, no huge smokestacks, etc to crash into. Additionally there are no mobile AAs to bring some more "ground competition" into the round.
Other maps like FuShe and Dragon Valley require a 64 player map, and servers usually only run this with the full complement of 64 player slots because the map area is simply so big. This creates one problem and one advantage.

Problem: oh God the lag with 64 players in vehicles trying to fly the jets, esp. the fast J10 can sometimes be a jerky experience. Not every server is up to the task - but CainsLair is the only server I will play this on as it is lag free, the guy has a shit pile of money and apparently isnt afraid to spend it on his hardware and it shows.

Advantage: Less pilots come to these maps with the intention of flying the Jets, everyone whores the choppers and the tanks, but only a few will spawn camp the Jets, and almost all of them will crash within 2 minutes. This means once you're in the air, your in the air for the whole round, crashing is actually suprisingly hard on these maps.

- There is no enemy jets "worth their salt" (I guess their navy jets lol!) that can shoot you down. The F35 or the J10 is great in this situation because you really have no worries about dying.

- The ground AA is an easy target if you do my rear-view find where the AA is shooting you from trick.

- There are PLENTY of vechile targets - nice square boxes all over the damn place to bomb into oblivion.

- When one team starts to loose a lot of flags, you can concentrate your bombing on the remaining spawns, and oh my God I go silly with delight when this happens, because your bombs start yielding 3-10 kills (I'm seriously not joking) on a 64 player server, 32 enemy teammates, down to a few flags, most spawning at the front flag, it's like pilot heaven! Then the kick votes start and the FUCK YOU ZENMASTER!

- On a suprising note, I prefer the F35 on Dragon Valley because its turn around time to the nearest enemy flag is much shorter, because PLA starts out with all the flags. This is a very important thing to note, and it's part of the reason I love the J10 on Wake - the turn around time (ie how fast you can get more bombs) is very fast on Wake when your China, and USMC is taking some flags. It's a vital important to how fast you can take out tanks, and rack up kills!

- An interesting thing about Dragon Valley and Fu She pass, the games last much longer then other games due to their wide area, now this is important, because of this, you as the pilot - the fastest vehicle in the game, well you see where I'm heading, in a relative sense, you have more "time" on enemy targets then anyone else. So, what happens is you can get a huge score (I got 164 on Dragon in an F35) while everyone else on the map is sitting at 20-30 avg. score. You can take out many people in a single bomb, drop another bomb, MG all the AA (this is a lot of kills), and because there is two enemy chopper spawns, yield a further 4 kills with rockets and MGs before you are even worried about ammo.

Note: on Dragon Valley, if you are flying the J10 the best way to reload is to fly at the runway and do a vertical half loop (like I constantly do in my videos) because there is that steep cliff right behind it, and doing a bank turn means you have to start it earlier then doing the afterburner vertical turn (think doing turns in a swimming pool - if your doing bank turns at the end of the lane, your an idiot). Fortunately, this requirement keeps a lot of people out of the J10s, and the ones who get in, crash pretty soon into the cliffside (lol).
[CANADA]_Zenmaster
Pope Picard II
+473|6744

Jewbat wrote:

Hey, Canada if you have one of the IM methods, I'd love to talk to you. I came back from work and got onto a Dalian Plant server, and flew both F35 and J10. Now that you say about the entire F35 sluggish turns thing, no wonder I was getting pissed! Those missles were hitting me mid-turn and it was really annoying the hell out of me.

So far I've got the single bomb down, easy. I hit my targets almost 99% of the time. Also I have it down where I can recognize helicopters and gun them down with bombing sights. (This is MUCH harder with Chinese Helos as they are semi-camouflaged.)

But I cannot get the tactict without aiming. Basically your "dumbfire" missle technique is quite hard to pull off, and I've gotten several easy kills when I do get it to work (Mostly BHs.) but is there any special thing you do? I  may be cutting it too close and the missle actually fires to the left/right of the helo because I am so close.
Thought I'd make two posts otherwise too much to answer in that last one.

You can IM me on xfire @ canadazenmaster at any time I am usually around as I work from home (on engineering coop workterm right now) so I should get back to you quickly. Anyone is welcome to message me, but if you ask retarded stuff, or you're an idiot, I'm not gonna waste my time. I am more then happy to answer stupid q's like how do I setup my joystick to friends, but people I dont know, well I'm not your customer service so please keep the conversation interesting. Sorry for this pre-emptive rant Jewbat, it doesn't apply to you, only to the idiots lurking about!

The dumbfire missles, as you aptly put them lol, work soley through practice practice practice (you knew I was gonna say it). I didn't even know this was how I was shooting people down until I thought about it. Usually I play a game long enough to find out what works, and I can honestly say I didn't recognize I was doing that tactic until my 70th hour in a jet! I'll elaborate further:

- The toggle between bomb mode, and missle mode, then missle lock has to be just right. You should release the rocket a microsecond before you hear the missle lock tone. You can see in my videos, how when a helicopter blows up due to MG fire I still fire my missles at virtually the second I WOULD have heard missle lock had the heli still been active. This is because I've trained myself to automatically fire the missle at the right time - basically its not as hard as I'm making it sound, you just gotta practice.

- The missle has to come out of the pod on the jet closest to the heli's body. Coming out of the other side 99% yields a miss. If you have time you can fire a second rocket, take a chance that it will hit, but remmber now this is two chances for tk's as you have two misses. This usually isn't a problem - You don't see many tk's on Wake because of the large airspace, but on Oman, oh my God watch those missles they can kill a teammate halfway across the map lmao.

- The missle has to come out at the right distance such that you can still pull away, but close enough that the missle goes for the helicopter regardless of flares or evasive action on the heli's part. Worst case, the helicopter pulls up and backwards (the cobra pilots do this alot) and it will result in a ram because your critical pullout time just got shortened. They will then complain that you're a rammer, even though they were retarded enough to pull straight back into their pursuer virtually ensuring death or getting shot down.

- You can shunt 'n bump a helicopter from behind a little bit (you can nudge em without blowing up) but front on you will both go boom, and the rammer cries will begin. This is an important safety factor in attacking from behind, you can often clip them a little bit too close if you don't estimate when to pullout correctly and still live.

- If you see someone hovering Heli or F35, at a far distance, entice their flares out by teasing them with missle lock - bomb mode - missle lock - bomb mode etc. and MG'ing them, as you get close do the same rocket method I use for taking out helis, but fire two rockets instead of one and they will hit the stable target almost for certain. Its better then randomly spamming rockets at the hovering aircraft - that method always misses.
[CANADA]_Zenmaster
Pope Picard II
+473|6744

Jester.retseJ wrote:

c) Every plane has a lower speed threshold where they lose complete control. The loss of control is because the wings are not generating enough lift. The higher you go, the thinner the atmosphere. The steeper the climb the less air passes over the top of the wing. When this is about to happen, immediately put the nose of the plane DOWN. The dive down will increase your speed, increase the air flowing over your wings and so create lift. The reason the J10 can bare higher altitudes and steeper climbs longer is because it's basically a rocket shape, and rockets are meant to be launched straight up.
Yea that makes sense about the generating lift part. The problem in the F35 is when you are doing the vertical S in the F35 and you start at a height of 300-400 ft (dangerous starting height) when you come to the top part of the maneuver, you are already trying to turn your plane downwards, but you end up doing more of this kind of shape:

https://img524.imageshack.us/img524/7528/pink9lz.png

instead of doing the nicely shaped S like you can in the J10 or in the F35 at lower altitudes. What I'm trying to point out here, is that you're trying as hard as you can to get it pointing downwards, but it just wont respond. The solution is to cut your throttle, and wait for your plane to literally fall through the sky, providing you can stay on the map after that long horizontal phase at the apex of the S. Then once you can see flags icons or ground, you know where to point downwards instead of being bathed in mist, and you can power up to full and head straight for that point on the ground.

In the J10 its fun to get the F35s to follow you to this height if they are constantly dogging you thinking they are hot shots - then you see XXX is no more. and its a very satisfying feeling lolol!
Jewbat
+8|6728
Yeah, I don't think I'm quite the idiot, and the reason I called it that is because it's the correct term I believe. Dumbfire rockets (I.E. Hellfire) are usually flown without any computer guidence, and that's basically what you're doing by shoving the rockets up the ass of the helicopter.

I'll see if I can get on tomorrow, seeing as I've got crappy hours where I work at and maybe I can try to perfect that damned dumbfire missle trick. I would say I'd love to fly against you, but the only place where I have the slight chance of getting you is on Oman or Zatar seeing as they both have Mig-29/F35. The Mig is fast, but not as fast as the J-10, so it's more of a fair fight on those maps.
Schuy01
+0|6722|Minnsota, United States
And to think i still try using a keyboard and mouse to fly 

I guess I have to find where my joystick went....
he_who_says_zonk
+17|6719
Dont be silly! I use keyboard and mouse, always have, and love it.
Hansim
+1|6736

...Other maps like FuShe and Dragon Valley...
Zenmaster - once again a very big THX! for your answer! I was completely absorbed in your posting
Keep up your stunning posts, this thread is awful. THX!!
Jewbat
+8|6728

he_who_says_zonk wrote:

Zonk, fly against a joysticker, and you'll be points ... flying points. That's really all their is to it, no one can compete with joysticks except joysticks.
Jester.retseJ
+4|6730|Toronto, On

Hansim wrote:

I think it would be very, very interesting to read and see also something about Dragon Valley, FuShe Pass and for e.g. about the handling of the mobile AAs etc.
I play a lot of diff maps, mostly 32 player servers as up here in the East it's hard to find a lag free 64 player server. There's lots in new york area but they're always full. The trick with other maps like Dragon Valley, Fushe Pass, etc. is to use the terrain in your favour. Going over/under bridges, through cranes, under frames etc. Here's some tips for these maps:

Dragon Valley: Only 64p has jets. Most of the action here is in the middle on either side of the river banks. These are the most contested flags and have the highest concentration of targets. Always focus on the helicopter spawns as this greatly increases your team's vehicle mobility. Along either banks you'll find lots of apcs/tanks to bomb away at. Pay no attention to the AA's in this middle section; as long as you keep your airspeed up, they have no chance of shooting you down. The only thing to worry about is the USS carier if you're flying the J10. Those in F35s should use this to their advantage in help against the faster J10's. Ask your commander to man one of the Vulcan cannons on the ship to help out and lead the J10's into his/her missile range. As F35, it's critical to maintain defense on your flag containing your UAV/Radar so always attack when this flag is in danger. I fly under the cargo unloading cranes (T Shaped steel beams) while i use the MG in defense of this point. Does 2 things: a. keeps you in perfect low altitude for lighting up any enemies on the flag, b. makes the enemy pilots think twice before following you through it (usually they crash or break off).

Fushe Valley: Only 64p has jets. This is not a friendly map for jets i've found. The winding corridors make it hard to line up shots on targets. I don't have much experience in a jet on this map, if i have any tips later on i'll post. I'd follow the same tips as in Dragon Valley and focus on the river banks though.

Kubra Dam: 32p & 64p has jets. This is a fun map. Lots of vehicles to bomb away at and pretty straight on shots for most of the map (except for the huge dam in my way you say). Ha! The dam is your best friend. You know you can fly through it right? Yup, under the crane, through the path by the heli pad (on knife edge), and even through the circular tunnels on the bottom. You can fly through the tunnels on the bottom??? YES YOU CAN. Practise this... it's a great way to lose an enemy jet! When you have a bogey on your tail, pull this manouever off and just watch the screen as "XXX is no more." shows up. No more bogey! This map is chock full of pesky AA though. Always take them out first and focus on the flags that spawn AAs. As SL i always order my squad to take these flags first to make sure my airspace is clear. Use the bridges/cranes to shake off pursuers by dodging over/under them.

Dalian Plant: 32p & 64p has jets. This is another fun map. As F35 your main goal here is to help your team secure the heli pad on the coast. This is a very important spawn as it houses both a chopper and armor. The next spawn you should try to take is the first flag by the enemy base straight north of the above mentioned spawn. Once this flag is secured it is VERY difficult for the PLA to re-capture as their paths are limited through the valley. The opposite is true for the PLA side... capture the flags mentioned above in opposite sequence for victory. As F35 your main objective is to harrass the jets/choppers coming through that north valley. Most targets are concentrated in this area. As J10 (once the heli pad on the coast is captured) i fly back and forth along the coast line. You will find all the cobras/BHs/ribs coming through this channel and hitting them from the sides back and forth makes for easy kills while you patrol the front two flags. Never mind the F35's coming through but do not go too close to the carrier's vulcan cannons while patrolling. Keep your airspeed up and you should have no problem.

Daqinq Oilfields: 32p & 64p has jets. A bomber pilots dream come true! So many vehicles/targets to bomb back to hell. As Su-30 you can simply circle your airfield all day re-arming. Always bomb flags when you see them neutralized by the enemy ASAP. Easy kills. For bombing the flag by the smoke stacks, attack from the NorthWest (better sightlines) fly through the flag releasing your bombs and perform a knife edge through the gaps in the smoke stacks. This is also a good way to lose a pursuer. The F15/F18 cannot shoot you down unless you make a mistake. As USMC you can do the same with the F15 but your bad maneouverability in this jet is a weakness. You must have a good pilot with you in the F18 if you wanna last. As F18 your one and ONLY job is to keep the J10 OFF the tail of your F15. If you can't do that then you've already lost. The SU-30 will bomb you into submission very quickly.

Gulf of Oman: 32p & 64p has jets. Advantage is with the MEC side with the SU-34. This is another devastating bomber and as USMC both your F35s need to focus on keeping this bird on the ground often or you will quickly lose terrain. The problem here is that the MIG29 is a match for BOTH of your F35s put together so the ideal thing to do as USMC is to fly in tandem. Alone in the skies you will not last at all. There is rampant base raping on this flag. I hate it when i see it. So please refrain from being cheap. The MEC armor spawn is a key flag for both sides. This flag usually determines who wins the round so always focus on it when you see it neutralized. The smoke stack/hotel are great places to circle when you're being chased and give yourself a breather. I try to fly East/West on this map cuz noone else does. Keeps me out of the line of fire of North/South and i still have good sightlines on targets.

Operation Clean Sweep: 32p and 64p has jets. Advantage with the MEC side again with the MIGs/SU-34. I try to always bomb the bridges and limit the movement of vehicles on this map. Less routes for them means more concentrated targets for you. Take care not to bomb the bridges when your teammates are on them. Tip: As MEC, even if your airstrip is taken in 32p map, you can use the airstrip to the east (in the red zone), no flag but it still rearms and repairs you. EA/DICE should fix this IMO but until then you might as well use this trick.

Zatar Wetlands: 32p & 64p has jets. Advantage with the MEC side again. Faster MIGs against the F35s. As USMC use your carrier teammates in the vulcan cannons to help you out. Lead your pursuers into ambushes over them. Another trick is with the USMC airfield on the west side. I rearm/repair South to North and fly through the hangar (yes through). Takes practise but it's a quick way to get rid of a pesky pursuer. "XXX is no more." The heli pad spawn in the middle is key for both. Always focus on defense on this point as everyone and their mother wants to fly the chopper and so always a lot of targets there for you. Like Clean Sweep, i bomb the bridges to limit routes and concentrate my targets.

Commander Tip: I like to ask the commander to supply drop at the end of the runway (middle). Sometimes you fly in too fast (like in a J10) and can't repair/rearm fully (single bomb reload). Having the supply crate at the end of the runway eliminates this hassle. The supply crate will ALWAYS repair no matter how much of the runway you've gone over and the J10 rearms fully even when you're coming in at over 1200.
Jester.retseJ
+4|6730|Toronto, On

Jewbat wrote:

he_who_says_zonk wrote:

Zonk, fly against a joysticker, and you'll be points ... flying points. That's really all their is to it, no one can compete with joysticks except joysticks.
I fly using a keyboard/mouse. It's all about experience... a more experienced pilot will always have the upper hand.

Mouse/Keyboard Tip: Increase the sensitivity of your mouse by increments. This means slowly over a period of time. It's SO difficult each time you increase it as you'll find yourself wobbling and having a heck of a hard time flying level. But once you get used to it you'll be able to out-maneouver all those that haven't. The learning curve on this each time you increase it is VERY steep (be warned, you will crash a lot). I'm slowly trying to max it out, this will give you a great edge over enemy pilots who will have a harder time trying to keep up with your turns/spins/flying.
Hansim
+1|6736

Jester.retseJ wrote:

...I play a lot of diff maps, mostly 32 player servers as up here in the East it's hard to find a lag free 64 player server...
- awful, simply awful! What a "reading experience", better than any "book" 'bout BF2!
THX - reading your post was a pleasure after a hard days work!
Yes - server lags - what a pain. It is hard enough to get into a jet without gettin' tk'ed and then you get tk'ed by server *g*. I'll try those tips, there's plenty to explore

Last edited by Hansim (2005-12-05 13:24:19)

Xennore
+0|6711
This my my guide i wrote,
check it out

http://www.gamearena.com.au/messageboards/battlefield2/thread.php/3341815
borbor
+0|6719
Thanks for the great info. I decided to learn to fly after reading this thread and it's been really helpful. I've been practicing in single-player mode on Operation Clean Sweep because my bot-teammates don't get pissed when I drop bombs on them by accident. :-)

As a total newbie at flying, I have a few pretty basic questions that you experts probably haven't had to think about for a while. 

First, I still find it fairly challenging to shoot down the bot-controlled jet, but with practice I'm sure I'll be able to do it regularly. If I lose the other jet's tail (against a bot or a human), what's a good way to recover and get back on it?

Second, I find that I can only bomb ground targets when I dive at them. I used to do bombing runs by flying at a constant height low to the ground and I frequently damaged my plane with my own bombs. Zenmaster's videos made me realize I should try diving at my ground target. I do that now and it is much better. Any tips on how to aim bombs better? Does a steeper dive help? Or dropping the bomb when my plane is closer to the ground?

Third, I don't have a joystick so until I get decent with the jet I have been using all keys to fly (the numpad takes the place of the mouse, with 7 and 9 as primary and secondary fire). The keys are much more sensitive than the mouse (at least in the default mouse setup). I know everyone says a joystick is absolutely necessary, but is it possible to fly decently using all keys instead of a joystick?

Thanks again, that's some excellent flying info.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard