Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6674|Canberra, AUS
...for bombs and missles.

Do you really need to spend US$320 billion on the military (as of 2002)? Couldn't you funnel that money into more useful enterprises, like a decent education - especially geography, or stricter border control?

EDIT: Make that US$419 billion.

Last edited by Spark (2006-11-12 22:56:19)

The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
Blehm98
conservative hatemonger
+150|6463|meh-land
border control...  thats rascist

education?  right now the education system gets worse the more money that goes into it.  The education system gets a ton of money already, the only reason its so poor is that the teaching staff and the people in charge of teaching organizations are more interested in themselves.  The Teachers union in California is quite adept at losing large sums of money, and our school district recently lost like $2000...  like it just disappeared completely.  Now thats on a city scale, imagine what the state or country scale is like
Masques
Black Panzer Party
+184|6722|Eastern PA

Spark wrote:

Do you really need to spend US$320 billion on the military (as of 2002)? Couldn't you funnel that money into more useful enterprises, like a decent education - especially geography, or stricter border control?

Plus all of the emergency supplimental increases passed by congress, 80% of the intelligence budget (most the US intelligence capabilities are within the Defense Department), and various black budget projects which puts the total defense expenditures somewhere above $500 bil (possibly over $600 or even $700 bil).

Last edited by Masques (2006-11-12 23:03:18)

Parker
isteal
+1,452|6394|The Gem Saloon
military equipment costs money.........around $80,000 for the heat dispersing exhaust for blackhawks. shit everytime a fighter drops one of those 500 gallon fuel tanks thats 15 grand. and ammo cost from 9mm's all the way up too 155mm arty and the mlrs rockets.....$$$$$$$$$$$
N.A.T.O
The People’s Champion
+59|6439|A drop house
In a time of war the US usually spends an exuberant amount of money on its military forces. It’s always been that way. When the war is over it will go down again, especially now that the Democrats have control (they love to / military funds).
kr@cker
Bringin' Sexy Back!
+581|6549|Southeastern USA
two factors are often ignored when critiscizing the military budget. it needed to be restuctured and overhauled to be effective in a post-cold war climate, and it needed to be rebuilt post clinton. three factors if you consider it's one of the few expenditures in which you can actually see results

good point on education blehm

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1510710/posts

edit: added link to the USS William Jefferson Clinton

Last edited by kr@cker (2006-11-13 07:52:10)

CommieChipmunk
+488|6569|Portland, OR, USA

Parker wrote:

military equipment costs money.........around $80,000 for the heat dispersing exhaust for blackhawks. shit everytime a fighter drops one of those 500 gallon fuel tanks thats 15 grand. and ammo cost from 9mm's all the way up too 155mm arty and the mlrs rockets.....$$$$$$$$$$$
Jesus Christ.  Do you know what that money could be better spent doing??  Seriously, the stuff thats going in Darfur right now is horrible, i just heard that the Darfurian government just blocked the UN from coming into the refugee camps..  We don't even know/care what's going on there.

And in all truth, given the current administrations justifications for going to Iraq, we should not even be there.  The 9/11 bombers came from Syria... The ignorance in here blows me away...
Locoloki
I got Mug 222 at Gritty's!!!!
+216|6640|Your moms bedroom
You cant even hire a private army to do your dirty work... i heard some special forces guys formed up an army for hire with a blackhawk and shit to help clean up africa, but the UN/America had a shit fit and said you couldnt hire private armies so, private army left, UN stepped in, killing continued, cost spent by UN was like multiple times more than it cost the private army... i think i saw this on the military channel or something
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6529|Global Command

Spark wrote:

[b]...for bombs and missles.

Do you really need to spend US$320 billion on the military.
Yes.
konfusion
mostly afk
+480|6549|CH/BR - in UK

ATG wrote:

Spark wrote:

Yes.
Now that's a great answer. And a reason? Why do you need to keep reinforcing an army, one of, if not the largest army in the world, and then send it on suicidal missions like "freeing" Iraq. Money spent on napalms and other chemical weapons is money spent on making people suffer. A gun is one thing, but killing people slowly should be outlawed.
DeepSkysUrGe
+28|6434|Jax, Fl

Spark wrote:

Yes, if we don't who else is going to help the Iraqi people?
iNeedUrFace4Soup
fuck it
+348|6545
Tell the government, not the people.
https://i.imgur.com/jM2Yp.gif
Bubbalo
The Lizzard
+541|6561

DeepSkysUrGe wrote:

Spark wrote:

Yes, if we don't who else is going to help the Iraqi people?
Yeah, how's that working out over there?  Everyone safe and sound?
weamo8
+50|6442|USA
Hey Spark... read your own sig.
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6674|Canberra, AUS

weamo8 wrote:

Hey Spark... read your own sig.
You are a loser.

I'm asking a question, moron.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
Smoke_Deez
+8|6386
Education, Education, Education.
kilgoretrout
+53|6469|Little Rock, AR

Konfusion0 wrote:

ATG wrote:

Spark wrote:

Yes.
Now that's a great answer. And a reason? Why do you need to keep reinforcing an army, one of, if not the largest army in the world, and then send it on suicidal missions like "freeing" Iraq. Money spent on napalms and other chemical weapons is money spent on making people suffer. A gun is one thing, but killing people slowly should be outlawed.
Are you retarded?  When was the last time you heard about us using napalm or chemical weapons in Iraq?  We're in the process of destroying all of our chemical weapons, there's a factory doing it about 150 miles from my house.  Also, our army is nowhere near as large as China's.  Personnel wise, our army isn't all that large, that's why it costs so much money.  We spend money on good gear for our soldiers so we don't need as many to get the job done.  As far as education is concerned, everyone calls Bush a warmonger, but his "No Child Left Behind" has pumped a ton of money into education, but it's also proven overwhelmingly that the federal government should leave schooling to local governments...
.:XDR:.PureFodder
+105|6829
As I've posted before, included in this budget is money for

Teleporters (like the ones in Star Trek)
Psychic powers (the US army still thinks this may work)
A device that can beam messages directly into the brains of soldiers both friend and foe.
Grenade sized Hafnium dirty bombs (even though they already know they actually can never work)

A waste of millions of dollars? Oh yeah.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard