OliTz
+12|6388
Besides general know-how in the game and mastering the games code i.e weapons, vehicles etc..
You must also master your keyboard and mouse. Learn how to multitask. Learn how to use your fingers in ways that will allow you to do multiple tasks at once. jumping around while reviving and being able to switch back to your rifle in time to nail a guy can make or break whether you die or not.

Alot of players seem to be slow with switching to certain equipment during gameplay. I've seen guys stand over my body and take a minute just to switch to the shock paddles, watching this I know the guy has difficulty with his controls.

This is a more common occurance than what I 1st thought, but alot of players seem to have alot of difficulty with there controls. All the best players can do 4-5 things at once.

For example-

Your facing 2 enemys, and its yourself and some random guy fighting them, the guy on your side goes down fast, but you kill one of them, then quickly siwtch to shock paddles while proneing and crocuhing and jumping all over, then switch back to rifle just in time to nail him while hes trying to kill you or revive his buddy.

The example provided requires at least 4-6 actions done in a matter of seconds, this is something few players seem to be able to do.

TIPS-

If you own a gaming mouse (Mx logitech series or Razor) you will have free buttons on it typcially on the sides. Now what I have personally done is ive mapped the shock paddles, health pack and rifle keys to the 2 side buttons & the "click" on the mouse wheel. I can switch between those 3 items over a dozen times within 2 seconds.

Its not a macro, but more so a huge edge over my opponent, so if im hurtin in a fight and i have no cover, I can simply click the button on my mouse, throw down a health pack and click the button on my mouse for the rifle, doing all of this in a split second.....now if I would have used the mouse wheel, it might not have been as simple or with the # keys.

In the controls under "common controls" theres a # for every weapon, rifle is 3, health packs 5 and paddles are 6, erase those 3 and set them to your mouse buttons.

I dont have any other tips, but like I said previously, any good player has mastered his controls. So take some time and find some comfortable control settings, mess around with them in single player if need be, because there very important during online play.
Rabbit.v2
Banned
+186|6537|stalker.
That's what i have to but i have nades and ammo bags instead,
OliTz
+12|6388

swe:D wrote:

I thought I was the only one.
I've got an mx518 btw.
velocitychaos
+26|6505|Brisbane Australia
Ive done this too but i seem to get lag when i'm hitting these buttons so quickly and i don't get the weapon/ items switching smoothly, some times they jump back and forth between say nades and rifle and i end up dying....very frustrating, i'm about to get 2 gb of ram ( only have 1 gb ) hoping this will fix the problem.
VicktorVauhn
+319|6400|Southern California
I was talking about control configurations with someone on a clan board and was suprised as hell to hear ANYONE scrolls or uses the next weapon to choose guns.

I have all the weapons re-done, with rifle and nades being E and R respectively so I can switch to either with out having to reach for anything. then I have pistol, claymores/flashbang, knife, revive as 1234....I dont think there is a single thing in common controls that I haven't re-assigned other the the stuff I don't use...

I also cant imagine playing with out at least a 5 button mouse.
RDMC
Enemy Wheelbarrow Spotted..!!
+736|6573|Area 51

OliTz wrote:

swe:D wrote:

I thought I was the only one.
I've got an mx518 btw.
Mmm..got the same mouse but I mapped them for reload and enter/exit vehicle key, use my scroll for weapons change..
mcminty
Moderating your content for the Australian Govt.
+879|6730|Sydney, Australia
Nice tips.

My mouse is not as fancy, but I have mapped the pistol to the wheel "button". In the middle of a shootout, I can quickly pull out my pistol if I run out of ammo.

Mcminty.
Fenris_GreyClaw
Real Хорошо
+826|6528|Adelaide, South Australia

my mouse needs more buttons
tupla_s
+455|6600|Finland
I have primary weapon and nades on the thumb button and shockpadles/wrench in the mid button, medbacks/c4 I have in < (Which is next to z on Finnish key layout)
[RFW]Xenomorph
+9|6390|Sweden
i use the scrollwheel to change items but i've learnt exactly how much i need to scroll to choose what i want.
a good idea though, i'll try what olitz said
Mad Ad
+178|6519|England, UK
The wheels useless - best thing you can do is assign a single weapon to scroll up and another weapon to scroll down, making it like 2 more buttons. Ive got scroll up for knife, scroll down for pistol and the scroll click for main weapon.

That way, no messing about when my main clip runs dry, pistols right there and I dont have to be looking down trying to figure what weapons next (or interrupt moving to hit 2).
Towelly
It's A State Of Mind
+399|6599|Your attic
I have a G5, so only one side button but I have it mapped to the primary weapon, not only does this decrease the draw time, but it also means I can switch fire modes stupidly quickly, meaning I can go from CQC to long range in an instant, good stuff.
turkeybacon
+50|6454|Dragon Valley
Regarding the mouse (i have a logitech mx518) I mapped vehicle views to the quick buttons, because I spend more time in vehicles. So thumb button 1 is cockpit view, thumb button 2 is rear view to see whats behind me. I'm constantly flipping views but I realized from reading this, those buttons do nothing for me in infantry. I'm very fast at tapping the 1, 3, 4, 5 buttons, but I realized I have to stop moving to hit them. I'm try mapping those controls for infantry, thanks! I think I'll go paddles on thumb 1, nades on thumb 2 or something like that. I suggest you play with your settings for vehicles though, take advantage of those different views! They saved my ass many times in a tank trying to figure where the AT rockets are hitting from.

edit: I use them in choppers too. Also when piloting a chopper, I have front view (3rd person) set to my right click button. Dont assign anything to right click in vehicles though, only choppers (and maybe jets if you fly with a mouse). The 3rd person view would be great in a humvee, but remember a tank is also a vehicle and your right click is your MG in a tank, right click is TOW in an APC. Also while gunning for a chopper, the game considers you to be in a vehicle (not chopper). So right click toggles tv view. But when FLYING a chopper, I'm constantly cycling rear view, 3rd person view and cockpit view (tap cockpit twice to get the nose out of your way)

Last edited by turkeybacon (2006-11-12 11:13:48)

FrankieSpankie3388
Hockey Nut
+243|6539|Boston, MA
I just know where the number keys are in relation to my hand so I can pull anything out whenever I want. The trick is not to use the WASD configuration, but to move everything to the right one set and use the ESDF configuration. You get one extra set of keys to bind how you'd like and you could also reach any number necessary to use whatever weapon/tool you would like.
turkeybacon
+50|6454|Dragon Valley

FrankieSpankie3388 wrote:

I just know where the number keys are in relation to my hand so I can pull anything out whenever I want. The trick is not to use the WASD configuration, but to move everything to the right one set and use the ESDF configuration. You get one extra set of keys to bind how you'd like and you could also reach any number necessary to use whatever weapon/tool you would like.
Thats a cool idea, I thought of it but I was too much of a wuss lol. I might try that in the future, would take alot of getting used to, but you get more possibilities for key binding so it probably pays off. Just curious, whats your sprint, jump, crouch, prone controls look like? What do you use some of the extra (close proximity) keys for?
|Mu|2dEr|
+8|6376|Louisiana
I've just gotten used of stock controls I use mouse buttons for ventrillo

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard