pirana6
Go Cougs!
+682|6282|Washington St.

Dilbert_X wrote:

Most of the worlds problems were created by the US in the first place though.
occasionally occasionally turn off the tv, go outside, and stop bitching about the us dilbert. good god.
MajorSpittle
+7|3082|Oregun

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

stand on a corner in the deep south with a burning confederate flag and a pro-Obummer banner while kissing your boyfriend and see how that plays out too.
The person I share a my cubical with read this and wanted to know if you are the fat black chick in the MooMoo from "The View"?  I assume he was talking about whoppie goldberg.

If you answer this correctly you might get a date out of it and he is loaded.
Steve-0
Karma limited. Contact Admin to Be Promoted.
+214|3951|SL,UT

MajorSpittle wrote:

loaded? BFD, i'm loaded every night. Date? every day is a date. what i want to know is why your family lives in a cubicle.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6623|949

MajorSpittle wrote:

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

stand on a corner in the deep south with a burning confederate flag and a pro-Obummer banner while kissing your boyfriend and see how that plays out too.
The person I share a my cubical with read this and wanted to know if you are the fat black chick in the MooMoo from "The View"?  I assume he was talking about whoppie goldberg.

that's about what I expected from you as far as a response.  You're an moran
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6097|eXtreme to the maX

Jay wrote:

We are a tiny island nation that had a large, far-flung empire that extracted wealth over the barrel of a gun, created countries out of tribes in order to govern better, and generally got the world riled up against English speakers?
You're a large island nation which supports brutal despotic regimes all over the world in return for oil, cocaine and the second coming of Jebus.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Top work chaps.
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/worl … 7619507208

Marine Major General Doug Stone, who was bought in to run the facility and is credited with bringing in a new approach, said of the prison in a book by Michael Weiss and Hassan Hassan: “If you were looking to build an army, prison is the perfect place to do it. We gave them health care, dental, fed them, and most importantly, we kept them from being killed in combat.”

A senior Islamic State leader who is still part of the organisation but has become disillusioned, told The Guardian in 2014, Bucca provided a “perfect environment” for terrorists to sit and plan.

“We all agreed to get together when we got out. The way to reconnect was easy. We wrote each other’s details on the elastic of our boxer shorts. When we got out, we called. Everyone who was important to me was written on white elastic. I had their phone numbers, their villages. By 2009, many of us were back doing what we did before we were caught. But this time we were doing it better,” he said.

“It really was that simple … Boxers helped us win the war”

By the time Major General Stone had worked to break up the cells and introduce more moderate imams, the move was seen as two little too late. Former military veteran Andrew Thompson, who spent eight years in Iraq and academic Jeremi Suri, said the camp helped distil a potent form of radicalisation and introduce others who may not have been that way inclined.

“At Camp Bucca, for example, the most radical figures were held alongside less threatening individuals, some of whom were not guilty of any violent crime. Coalition prisons became recruitment centres and training grounds for the terrorists the United States is now fighting,” they wrote in the New York Times.
Would have been so much better to have dealt with AQ and the Taliban than create a whole new mess wouldn't it?

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2015-11-23 02:03:00)

SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3711
In a fucked up sort of way, Iraq going bad was a blessing in disguise for the middle east. Had we had a stable Iraq in 2004 or 2005, Bush would have invaded Iran next.

Speaking of Iran, they really have played a good game from 2001 until now. Instigating Iraq's insurgency was a good way to turn the American public off to large scale wars for a generation.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5349|London, England
Last week the political scientist Olivier Roy delivered a fascinating talk at a conference sponsored by the German counterpart to the FBI. Drawing on data about Europeans who join jihadist groups, Roy argues that they're primarily driven not by theology, nor by deprived backgrounds, but by a particular sort of youthful alienation.

Roy concludes that we can't make broad psychological generalizations about this subculture, beyond the unsurprising fact that they're frustrated and resentful. They come from a wide range of sociological backgrounds, but the majority are "second generation Muslims born in Europe, [and] the others are converts; almost none came as a young adult or as a teenager to Europe from the Middle East." Many of them "have a past of petty delinquency and drug dealing" followed by "a sudden and rapid 'return' to religion (or conversion), immediately followed by political radicalisation. There is a clear 'breaking point,' often linked with a personal crisis (jail for instance)."

These jihadists are

clearly a youth movement: almost all of them [were] radicalised to the dismay of their parents and relatives (a huge difference if we compare with Palestinian radicals). Most parents not only disapprove of their children's radicalisation, but actively try to bring them back or even to have them arrested by the police. This pattern is found as well among parents of converts (a fact we can expect), but also among Muslim parents (Abaaoud in Belgium). In this sense the radicals do not express an anger shared by their milieus or by the Muslim "community."

It is a peer phenomenon: they radicalise in the framework of a small network of friends, whatever the concrete circumstances of their meeting may be (neighbourhood, jail, internet, or sports clubs). This puts them often at odds with the traditional view of family and women in Islam. These groups are often mixed in gender terms, and the women play often a far more important role than they themselves claim (Boumediene in the Charlie Hebdo killers' team). They intermarry between themselves, without the parents' consent. In this sense they are closer to the ultra-left groups of the 1970s.
Roy argues that the chief motive for young men joining a jihad is a "fascination for a narrative," a storyline starrring a "small brotherhood of super-heroes who avenge the Muslim Ummah." That Ummah "is global and abstract, never identified with a national cause," and the narrative draws not just on Islam but on pop-culture products such as video games.

Roy has some particularly interesting comments on the religious dimension of the jihadists' worldview:

The ultraleft? Too bourgeois!

The revolt is expressed in religious terms for two reasons:

- Most of the radicals have a Muslim background, which makes them open to a process of re-islamisation (almost none of them being pious before entering the process of radicalisation).

- Jihad is the only cause on the global market. If you kill in silence, it will be reported by the local newspaper; if you kill yelling "Allahuakbar," you are sure to make the national headlines. The ultraleft or radical ecology is too "bourgeois" and intellectual for them.

When they join jihad, they adopt the Salafi version of Islam, because Salafism is both simple to understand (don'ts and dos) and rigid, providing a personal psychological structuring effect. Moreover, Salafism is the negation of cultural Islam, that is the Islam of their parents and of their roots. Instead of providing them with roots, Salafism glorifies their own deculturation and makes them feel better "Muslims" than their parents. Salafism is the religion by definition of a disenfranchised youngster.

Incidentally, we should make a distinction between religious radicalisation and jihadist radicalisation. There is of course an overlap, but the bulk of the Salafists are not jihadist, and many jihadists don't give a damn about theology.
Only a few of the militants whose lives Roy reviewed attended a local mosque regularly, and in general they had only a loose connection—or no connection—to Europe's larger Muslim communities. "This," Roy writes, "explains why 1) the close monitoring of mosques brings little information; 2) Imams have little or no influence on the process of radicalisation; 3) 'reforming Islam' does not make sense: they just don't care about 'what Islam really means.'" And so, he concludes,

To promote a "moderate Islam" to bring radicals back to the mainstream is nonsense. They just reject moderation as such.

To ask the "Muslim community" to bring radicals back to normal life is also nonsense. Radicals just don't care about people they consider as "traitors," "apostates," or "collaborators" as long as they don't choose the same path.

To consider Islam only through the lenses of "fighting terrorism" will validate the narrative of persecution and revenge that feeds the process of radicalisation.
To read the whole thing, go here. For a broader look at the way people talk about "radicalization"—a term that covers a lot more than the group Roy is discussing—go here.
https://reason.com/blog/2015/11/23/who- … -jihadists
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3711

Jay wrote:

Last week the political scientist Olivier Roy delivered a fascinating talk at a conference sponsored by the German counterpart to the FBI. Drawing on data about Europeans who join jihadist groups, Roy argues that they're primarily driven not by theology, nor by deprived backgrounds, but by a particular sort of youthful alienation.

Roy concludes that we can't make broad psychological generalizations about this subculture, beyond the unsurprising fact that they're frustrated and resentful. They come from a wide range of sociological backgrounds, but the majority are "second generation Muslims born in Europe, [and] the others are converts; almost none came as a young adult or as a teenager to Europe from the Middle East." Many of them "have a past of petty delinquency and drug dealing" followed by "a sudden and rapid 'return' to religion (or conversion), immediately followed by political radicalisation. There is a clear 'breaking point,' often linked with a personal crisis (jail for instance)."

These jihadists are

clearly a youth movement: almost all of them [were] radicalised to the dismay of their parents and relatives (a huge difference if we compare with Palestinian radicals). Most parents not only disapprove of their children's radicalisation, but actively try to bring them back or even to have them arrested by the police. This pattern is found as well among parents of converts (a fact we can expect), but also among Muslim parents (Abaaoud in Belgium). In this sense the radicals do not express an anger shared by their milieus or by the Muslim "community."

It is a peer phenomenon: they radicalise in the framework of a small network of friends, whatever the concrete circumstances of their meeting may be (neighbourhood, jail, internet, or sports clubs). This puts them often at odds with the traditional view of family and women in Islam. These groups are often mixed in gender terms, and the women play often a far more important role than they themselves claim (Boumediene in the Charlie Hebdo killers' team). They intermarry between themselves, without the parents' consent. In this sense they are closer to the ultra-left groups of the 1970s.
Roy argues that the chief motive for young men joining a jihad is a "fascination for a narrative," a storyline starrring a "small brotherhood of super-heroes who avenge the Muslim Ummah." That Ummah "is global and abstract, never identified with a national cause," and the narrative draws not just on Islam but on pop-culture products such as video games.

Roy has some particularly interesting comments on the religious dimension of the jihadists' worldview:

The ultraleft? Too bourgeois!

The revolt is expressed in religious terms for two reasons:

- Most of the radicals have a Muslim background, which makes them open to a process of re-islamisation (almost none of them being pious before entering the process of radicalisation).

- Jihad is the only cause on the global market. If you kill in silence, it will be reported by the local newspaper; if you kill yelling "Allahuakbar," you are sure to make the national headlines. The ultraleft or radical ecology is too "bourgeois" and intellectual for them.

When they join jihad, they adopt the Salafi version of Islam, because Salafism is both simple to understand (don'ts and dos) and rigid, providing a personal psychological structuring effect. Moreover, Salafism is the negation of cultural Islam, that is the Islam of their parents and of their roots. Instead of providing them with roots, Salafism glorifies their own deculturation and makes them feel better "Muslims" than their parents. Salafism is the religion by definition of a disenfranchised youngster.

Incidentally, we should make a distinction between religious radicalisation and jihadist radicalisation. There is of course an overlap, but the bulk of the Salafists are not jihadist, and many jihadists don't give a damn about theology.
Only a few of the militants whose lives Roy reviewed attended a local mosque regularly, and in general they had only a loose connection—or no connection—to Europe's larger Muslim communities. "This," Roy writes, "explains why 1) the close monitoring of mosques brings little information; 2) Imams have little or no influence on the process of radicalisation; 3) 'reforming Islam' does not make sense: they just don't care about 'what Islam really means.'" And so, he concludes,

To promote a "moderate Islam" to bring radicals back to the mainstream is nonsense. They just reject moderation as such.

To ask the "Muslim community" to bring radicals back to normal life is also nonsense. Radicals just don't care about people they consider as "traitors," "apostates," or "collaborators" as long as they don't choose the same path.

To consider Islam only through the lenses of "fighting terrorism" will validate the narrative of persecution and revenge that feeds the process of radicalisation.
To read the whole thing, go here. For a broader look at the way people talk about "radicalization"—a term that covers a lot more than the group Roy is discussing—go here.
https://reason.com/blog/2015/11/23/who- … -jihadists
https://i.imgur.com/9oDfpzt.gif
At least provide a tl;Dr
uziq
+492|3443
lol quoting wholesale from reason.com with no engagement or comment whatsoever. no individual reading.

intellectual alert
/r/libertarians unite
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3711
Free market solutions to jihadists problems
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
It was a summation of an essay and I had only a minute before my work filter blocked bf2s. Read it.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3711
Nah. Thanks anyway.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6707
tldr most jihadists are aliented muslim youth who really don't care about ideology.

pretty much spot on from most counter-terror experts.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3711

SuperJail Warden wrote:

Free market solutions to jihadists problems
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3711
Is it trolling to call ISIS an anti-colonial movement? They were formed from the Iraqi resistance groups after the invasion.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
They're killing mostly muslims, trying to take territory from other muslims - this has nothing to do with colonialism.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3711
Well, their organization is a descendant of a genuine anti-western resistance movement. Their two biggest enemies right now is a western installed government in Iraq and a government outlined by a British-French agreement. It was a pretty big deal earlier this year when ISIS controlled everything from northern Iraq to eastern Syria and effectively nullified the Sykes–Picot Agreement.
uziq
+492|3443
ISIS want to restore a medieval caliphate and are more interested in killing other Muslims from a religious schism that predates colonialism by about half a dozen centuries. what is it with your need to justify everything in this way? nature abhors a vacuum and this is the sort of regime that moves in to destabilised zones. it has more to do with young male psychology than the Sykes-picot agreement.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3711
You make a good point. I am just fishing for a way to justify Russians, Iranians, and Shia getting killed.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3711
Priority number one should still be overthrowing Assad.

Last edited by SuperJail Warden (2015-12-07 16:14:22)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Overthrowing Gaddafi went great didn't it?

Providing they don't get out of control and overly brutal and repressive I think a dictator give these regions peace and stability which they otherwise would not have.

Democracy doesn't apparently work.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3711
Overthrowing Gaddafi was the right thing to do and did work. As you can see Gaddafi is no longer in power.

Anyone who defends a dictators right to rule over any group of people anywhere forfeits their right to complain about privacy, discrimination, corruption, and arbitrary government in their own countries. It is an indefensible position to hold unless you are just openly selfish and self centered.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
Wow.
-Frederick Bastiat
uziq
+492|3443
i think a large portion of europe preferred tito to what came after.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard