Poll

of the world could live decently?

Yes43%43% - 50
No56%56% - 64
Total: 114
CommieChipmunk
+488|6571|Portland, OR, USA
It's a fairly simple poll.  If the option was presented to you (would you give up your luxuries so all of the world would live decently) would you decline, leaving the millions around the world still starving and living in poverty.  Or accept so that everyone would live in mediocrity but every one would be semi-equal? 

And no I'm not talking communism here..

It's not quite as black and white as that but you know what I mean.

Last edited by CommieChipmunk (2006-11-10 22:59:07)

Snipedya14
Dont tread on me
+77|6696|Mountains of West Virginia
Absofuckinglutely
Paco_the_Insane
Phorum Phantom
+244|6646|Ohio
F'in' commies!
Parker
isteal
+1,452|6395|The Gem Saloon
no. mine are mine because i started a business and earned that shit......not giving it away because they made poor decisions.......isnt this one of the principles of communism?? you know that politicol system thats fallen like 30 times in the last century.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6583|SE London

I don't quite understand the question. It would only mean a personal sacrifice so everyone who is poor would be able to live comfortably? It wouldn't mean everyone is living in mediocrity, bringing the quality of life down for a large percentage of the worlds poplulation? Could I work to make some more money to get some new luxuries or is this a permanent thing?

If the answers to those questions are yes, no and yes (to being able to work my way back up to having some luxuries), then I would (that's a damn good deal) - if not, no.

Sorry this post is so diabolically incoherent.
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6530|Global Command
I nulled vote because there would have to be a zillion conditions on it like birth control and school curriculum that the people better off now could never agree on let alone convince the worse off to accept.
THESAVAGE1
+6|6455
Parker has a business??!!! You have to be kidding!!! What a load of shit. You've got to be 12 years old max.

" they made poor decisions " - LOL. Like not being born in your family?? In your city???
Get a grip you knob jockey.
Ki][mE
OMG H4XOR!
+51|6564|I'm a Viking....Norway
No!
Doctor Strangelove
Real Battlefield Veterinarian.
+1,758|6469
null vote
Leprechaun56
Proud Infantry Whore
+31|6585|U.S.A
No.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6652|USA
"Absofuckinglutely"

NOT.
Scorpion0x17
can detect anyone's visible post count...
+691|6767|Cambridge (UK)
Yes.

And, no this isn't communism. Well, that is to say, communism has similar ideals at its core. But this, in and of itself, is not communism.

ATG wrote:

I nulled vote because there would have to be a zillion conditions on it like birth control and school curriculum that the people better off now could never agree on let alone convince the worse off to accept.
Why so?

Last edited by Scorpion0x17 (2006-11-10 18:48:30)

lowing
Banned
+1,662|6652|USA

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

Yes.

And, no this isn't communism. Well, that is to say, communism has similar ideals at its core. But this, in and of itself, is not communism.

ATG wrote:

Why so?
why don't enlighten us by telling us HOW thisisn't communism? Ya know, something more substantial than you saying so.
FrankieSpankie3388
Hockey Nut
+243|6531|Boston, MA
I don't know. I did work hard for it but for everybody in the world to be happy, I think I would give it all up... not that I have much to give up.

Last edited by FrankieSpankie3388 (2006-11-10 19:00:44)

Scorpion0x17
+691|6767|Cambridge (UK)

lowing wrote:

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

Yes.

ATG wrote:

Why so?
why don't enlighten us by telling us HOW thisisn't communism? Ya know, something more substantial than you saying so.

wikipedia.com wrote:

Communism is an ideology that seeks to establish a future classless, stateless social organization, based upon common ownership of the means of production.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Communism

Based upon common ownership of the means of production.

What the OP/Poll is about is redistribution of wealth, not common ownership of the means of production - two very different things.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6652|USA

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

lowing wrote:

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

Yes.

Why so?

wikipedia.com wrote:

Communism is an ideology that seeks to establish a future classless, stateless social organization, based upon common ownership of the means of production.

What the OP/Poll is about is redistribution of wealth, not common ownership of the means of production - two very different things.
Uhhhhhhhhhh yeah, soooooooo, if we all have the same shit then we pretty much fall into that definition do we not??
Scorpion0x17
+691|6767|Cambridge (UK)

lowing wrote:

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

lowing wrote:

wikipedia.com wrote:

Uhhhhhhhhhh yeah, soooooooo, if we all have the same shit then we pretty much fall into that definition do we not??
No, you misunderstand. - common ownership of the means of production - that is, that the factories, farms, etc, are owned by the people, not that everyone has the same stuff/level of wealth.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6652|USA

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

lowing wrote:

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

lowing wrote:

No, you misunderstand. - common ownership of the means of production - that is, that the factories, farms, etc, are owned by the people, not that everyone has the same stuff/level of wealth.
but if the means for such ownership is for the common good to make sure none has any more than the other..................???????????
Scorpion0x17
+691|6767|Cambridge (UK)

lowing wrote:

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

lowing wrote:

but if the means for such ownership is for the common good to make sure none has any more than the other..................???????????
But it's not. Communism isn't about redistribution of wealth, it's about the people controlling the means of production. Sorry, to just repeat what I've already said, but this is actually pretty simple. One does not imply the other.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6652|USA

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

lowing wrote:

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

But it's not. Communism isn't about redistribution of wealth, it's about the people controlling the means of production. Sorry, to just repeat what I've already said, but this is actually pretty simple. One does not imply the other.
Kinda hard t ohave a "classless" society if some have more than others.
Scorpion0x17
+691|6767|Cambridge (UK)

lowing wrote:

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

lowing wrote:

'Class' is not a measure of wealth and 'wealth' is not a measure of class.

You can be a working-class millionaire and you can be an upper-class destitute.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6652|USA

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

lowing wrote:

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

no actually a CEO could be clasified as "working class" by your difinition, he is after all working to run a company.

Class is meant to be divided by wealth, not by work ethic

lower class---poverty poor, low income

middle class--- majority of America, modest to very comfortable living.

upper class----- extremely comfortable living up to being  rich

just admit it, when you are talking about no one having more than anyone else, and classless societies, you are talking about communism

don't try and tell me that a person making 12,000 a year could be considered upper class. You can't re-difine class to suit your argument. Either find another approach to convince me or admit you want communism t oprevail.

Last edited by lowing (2006-11-10 19:44:04)

blakrobe
+3|6532
It's a bit hard to say what one does and doesn't deserve in life, but I would give up a few luxuries to see everyone given an equal opportunity. From this point, if they choose to be slack or excel, that is their decision and they can be hungry or poor.
Scorpion0x17
+691|6767|Cambridge (UK)

lowing wrote:

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

lowing wrote:

no actually a CEO could be clasified as "working class" by your difinition, he is after all working to run a company.

No. Class is a measure social standing. I.e. a measure of the 'power' one has within society.

Whilst it is correct to say that 'power' and 'wealth' usually go hand-in-hand, they are not the same thing.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6652|USA

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

lowing wrote:

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

No. Class is a measure social standing. I.e. a measure of the 'power' one has within society.

Whilst it is correct to say that 'power' and 'wealth' usually go hand-in-hand, they are not the same thing.
yeah yeah yeah, for this discussion we are talking about POSSESSION now aren't we?

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard