Wal-Mart: good or bad?

overall good company29%29% - 47
overall bad company16%16% - 26
I shop there but dont agree with their agenda13%13% - 22
I never shop there, I dont agree with their agenda18%18% - 30
dont care20%20% - 33
Total: 158
deeznutz1245
Connecticut: our chimps are stealin yo' faces.
+483|6491|Connecticut
I see Wal-Mart on the news all the time and I am just wondering how everyone else here views them. I personally dont see them as bad. Just because they are big they have a target on them and truthfully, they donate a lot of money towards my community. Other companies are way worse. Please debate.
Malloy must go
CameronPoe
+2,925|6554
Monopolies=fail
[LCI]squeakyfleece
O-<--< stick man lolololol
+27|6656|perv
VERY bad company!
IRONCHEF
+385|6489|Northern California
** open for 1 on 1 debate **

I think their lack of respect for communities they rape shows their agenda..pure greed.  Likewise, their benefit structure and poor track record for employment law adhesion make them very hated.  Oh, they also outsource many of their products (including from child labor and other unethical labor sources) while portraying the idea that everything is american made or pro-america.

They are GREED embodied within large walls.  Just google some of their criticisms.  I do not shop there.  The money I save will be taken back just in the form of taxes paying for their employee benefits, the bankruptcy of neighboring businesses shut down because of this inconsiderate business.

Oh, and they're communist now! --->see here<---

Last edited by IRONCHEF (2006-11-09 11:28:10)

Marlboroman82
Personal philosophy: Clothing optional.
+1,022|6622|Camp XRay

https://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l250/marlboroman82/Untitled-8.png
deeznutz1245
+483|6491|Connecticut

IRONCHEF wrote:

** open for 1 on 1 debate **

I think their lack of respect for communities they rape shows their agenda..pure greed.  Likewise, their benefit structure and poor track record for employment law adhesion make them very hated.  Oh, they also outsource many of their products (including from child labor and other unethical labor sources) while portraying the idea that everything is american made or pro-america.

They are GREED embodied within large walls.  Just google some of their criticisms.  I do not shop there.  The money I save will be taken back just in the form of taxes paying for their employee benefits, the bankruptcy of neighboring businesses shut down because of this inconsiderate business.

Oh, and they're communist now! --->see here<---
I will debate this with you.
Malloy must go
IRONCHEF
** 1 on 1 debate with deeznutz1245 **

Ok, I'll make a 1 on 1 debate point for us to start on that supports one reason why wal mart is "bad".

By "bad" I'll illustrate that they have bribed their requested store expansion in an unethical manner by paying off a city council member in my own city.  While a $50,000 donation to a city councilman is perfectly legal, it is a non-competative and inconsiderate form of business that in the opinions of many, is not wanted.  By purchasing favors of a politician who can help Walmart expand it's store size, when they couldn't otherwise get authorization for such expansion, that is why it is considered unethical.  Small stores that suffer because of the Walmart presense are not able to buy politicians.

http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?sectio … id=4728561

Last edited by IRONCHEF (2006-11-09 11:41:01)

13rin
+977|6478
Wal Mart rocks.

I think their prices are highly competitive.  Nine time out of ten they have every item on my shopping list so I don't have to goto another store to look for them. 

I don't see why a company shouldn't look for cheaper methods to bring down production costs.  Making more money is what business do.  It's American.

I think that Maryland was idiotic for going after them, and they failed too.

They also contribute to the community
http://www.walmartfoundation.org/wmstor … /index.jsp

Heck, if you don't like them, then don't shop there.
I stood in line for four hours. They better give me a Wal-Mart gift card, or something.  - Rodney Booker, Job Fair attendee.
King_County_Downy
shitfaced
+2,791|6596|Seattle

Our national debt is partly due to Wal-Mart.
Sober enough to know what I'm doing, drunk enough to really enjoy doing it
deeznutz1245
+483|6491|Connecticut
My brother in law (wifes brother) works for the company. There are a lot of things I feel are misconstrued about wallyworld. Most people bring up the benefits issue. They offer FIVE different packages ranging from bad to excellent. My wife is an ER nurse at a hospital and her bennies arent even as good as her brothers. They pay for 80 percent of his coverage. Now, you can opt for the cheap insurance which is what most people that live  paycheck to paycheck do. A man at his store had to pay for his kids $500 deductible and whined to the press about it but he has "22 rims on his car. WTF? If you have a family you are obligated to have good coverage instead of wasting money on material stuff. I am just throwing that one out there cuz most people dont realize they do offer EXCELLENT insurance that most people dont opt for.

Last edited by deeznutz1245 (2006-11-09 11:46:14)

Malloy must go
SpawnKiller
#1 Karkand Whore
+14|6384

Marlboroman82 wrote:

lmao south park ftw

Wlmart = GOOD
-=raska=-
Canada's French Frog
+123|6624|Quebec city, Canada
It's a business, they are there to make money, and they succeed..

now about the employees, Ive heared some and they said it was alright, and that they had advantages that other shops couldnt give. I dont remember which but it was about holidays and things like that. Anyway, if you dont like it, dont work there, there are plenty of other jobs...

for the consumers, wal-mart is pretty cool, everything is cheap there

about the workers in third-world countries, remember something, wal-mart treat them better than local companies do. In those countries, working conditions are always not that good, particularly for local companies. Multinationals too, but usually those impose rules.

Last edited by -=raska=- (2006-11-09 11:42:26)

Stingray24
Proud member of the vast right-wing conspiracy
+1,060|6444|The Land of Scott Walker
They sell cheap stuff, I buy cheap stuff.  I'm a consumer, no reason to pay more for the same stuff somewhere else.
RDMC
Enemy Wheelbarrow Spotted..!!
+736|6564|Area 51
It has my name in it, off course its bad!

Last edited by RDMC(2) (2006-11-09 12:21:44)

IRONCHEF

-=raska=- wrote:

now about the employees, Ive heared some and they said it was alright, and that they had advantages that other shops couldnt give. I dont remember which but it was about holidays and things like that. Anyway, if you dont like it, dont work there, there are plenty of other jobs...

about the workers in third-world countries, remember something, wal-mart treat them better than local companies do. In those countries, working conditions are always not that good, particularly for local companies. Multinationals too, but usually those impose rules.
HERE is an example of the rampant complaints against Walmart and their labor practices.  They are always met with the same kind of PR "this allegation is not representative of our procedures..blah blah blah" and they're right.  Their actual procedures as written do tell managers to only pay for clocked time.  It does NOT, however, punish managers who do make their employees work off the clock..which is what is rampant.  And further, it has been shown that walmart does have quota-type policies given to managers who will get in trouble if an employee does not clock out at their prescribed hour..so managers illegally alter time entries while the employee is secretly denied pay..such is what this class action suit speaks volumes about.
deeznutz1245
+483|6491|Connecticut

IRONCHEF wrote:

-=raska=- wrote:

HERE is an example of the rampant complaints against Walmart and their labor practices.  They are always met with the same kind of PR "this allegation is not representative of our procedures..blah blah blah" and they're right.  Their actual procedures as written do tell managers to only pay for clocked time.  It does NOT, however, punish managers who do make their employees work off the clock..which is what is rampant.  And further, it has been shown that walmart does have quota-type policies given to managers who will get in trouble if an employee does not clock out at their prescribed hour..so managers illegally alter time entries while the employee is secretly denied pay..such is what this class action suit speaks volumes about.
Can you show me evidence that there is a quota policy for management pertaining to unpaid work. No you cannot because there is no such policy. As for the link you gave me, it showed zero evidence of facts. It stated that associates made claims which turned into a class action suit that WM lost. It does not mean that managers force employees to work unpaid, and certainly doeas not show there is a quota policy to do so. Employees are given their schedule and it is their duty to follow it. In the middle of a busy day one manager is not going to be able to decipher who is still scheduled and who is working off the clock. I can assure you that %90 of buisnesses have employees who work off the clock. That is their fault. The news stated that Wal mart cannot apprehend theives if the merchandise is under  $25. Does that make it true? NO. Why not I can find a link for it? According to their policy number AP-09 any amount $.01 and up is grounds for apprehension. The news twists things.
Malloy must go
jsnipy
+3,276|6521|...

If they are bad, then there are a lot of bad people, since a lot of people shop there, which is what keeps Walmart alive. Human nature is greedy anyway ... which is we will burn.

Last edited by jsnipy (2006-11-09 12:08:40)

jonsimon
+224|6494
Walmart is a corporation. Strike one.

They are an oligopolistic predatory pricer. Strike two.

They break the law. Strike three.

Walmart Fail.
IRONCHEF

deeznutz1245 wrote:

IRONCHEF wrote:

-=raska=- wrote:

Can you show me evidence that there is a quota policy for management pertaining to unpaid work. No you cannot because there is no such policy. As for the link you gave me, it showed zero evidence of facts. It stated that associates made claims which turned into a class action suit that WM lost. It does not mean that managers force employees to work unpaid, and certainly doeas not show there is a quota policy to do so. Employees are given their schedule and it is their duty to follow it. In the middle of a busy day one manager is not going to be able to decipher who is still scheduled and who is working off the clock. I can assure you that %90 of buisnesses have employees who work off the clock. That is their fault. The news stated that Wal mart cannot apprehend theives if the merchandise is under  $25. Does that make it true? NO. Why not I can find a link for it? According to their policy number AP-09 any amount $.01 and up is grounds for apprehension. The news twists things.
The burden to show evidence of a quota policy is not mine to make since I was using the link in context of supporting the fact that it was an example of rampant complaints against walmart in the form of that class action suit.

Further, I supported your wayward rebuttle that I did not show evidence "..because there is no such policy" by saying there is no written policy.  However, there are the claims by actual workers, both in the linked suit referenced and in daily press that I have read over the years saying that they had not received full pay for hours worked.  Those same workers (uncited) have further referred to testimony of managers who after being fired for not keeping said quotas saying that regional managers/supervisors DO in fact require specific pay and hours to be met regardless of keeping workers working off the clock.  If I find this citation, I'll add it later.

In short, Walmart is not a fair employer because it has not paid it's workers for hours worked.  Were it not so, there would not be so many lawsuits throughout the country..there wouldn't be so much opposition to walmart.

And i'm only scratching the surface with the unpaid work topic.  Can you dispute this?
jonsimon
+224|6494

jsnipy wrote:

If they are bad, then there are a lot of bad people, since a lot of people shop there, which is what keeps Walmart alive. Human nature is greedy anyway ... which is we will burn.
Human nature is murder and rape, I guess that justifies it, right?
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6528|Global Command
Cheap china junk
https://i13.tinypic.com/2j2izjq.jpg
IRONCHEF
Is "junk" an english word for that boat, or is that a chinese word for that boat?

nm, found it..

junk2  /dʒʌŋk/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[juhngk] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun
a seagoing ship with a traditional Chinese design and used primarily in Chinese waters, having square sails spread by battens, a high stern, and usually a flat bottom.
[Origin: 1545–55; < Pg junco a kind of sailing vessel < Malay jong, said to be < dial. Chin (Xiamen) chûn; cf. Guangdong dial. syùhn, Chin chuán]

Last edited by IRONCHEF (2006-11-09 12:33:20)

deeznutz1245
+483|6491|Connecticut
It is a good point, as well as the surfaced being scratched on other issues. My major problem is with people who jump on the wagon and crush them for issues they cannot debate because they are not informed. That is not the  case with you, however, I am just pointing out that what is reported to the press does not make it true in many cases. On the flip side I bet there are things we have no idea about( that are bad)  that we neglect to debate altogether. For Wal-Mart being as big as they are people will try and sue them over things out of Wal-Marts control, and we know that is true. I just feel that other companies have done much worse to employees and communities.
Malloy must go
IRONCHEF

deeznutz1245 wrote:

It is a good point, as well as the surfaced being scratched on other issues. My major problem is with people who jump on the wagon and crush them for issues they cannot debate because they are not informed. That is not the  case with you, however, I am just pointing out that what is reported to the press does not make it true in many cases. On the flip side I bet there are things we have no idea about( that are bad)  that we neglect to debate altogether. For Wal-Mart being as big as they are people will try and sue them over things out of Wal-Marts control, and we know that is true. I just feel that other companies have done much worse to employees and communities.
tru.dat

Lot's of lamers out there like that old bag that sued (and won) McDonald's for putting her hot cup of coffee between her legs as she was sitting in her car, then reached to the passenger seat to grab her food, and squeezed the coffee cup of scalding hot coffee..and it bubbled out and between her legs and under her giving her considerable burns.  Was it mcdonalds fault for producing liquid for sale over 180º?  Yes, according to the verdict..which is why every service establishment now sells liquids no hotter than 180ºF.  Putting "caution - hot" on the cup or lid would have saved that lawsuit from happening to.

Anyway, I maintain that walmart is the devil.  in 2007 I will open up a store (called SURVIVAL MODE) that sells emergency preparedness and camping items, and wilderness, first aid, cpr, aed, and other usefull services/training.  Since Walmart stocks freeze dried foods, lots of the type of camping gear and other emergency preparedness (radios, flashlights, flares, stoves, etc) stuff I'll be selling, I'll be making sure not to open up shop near a walmart or target.  I'll be the only store of my kind in the bay area (and anywhere I've been), but non-competative behavior like walmart could easily snuff out my business if my main income comes from the things they can monopolize.  This is why i'll be offering the lucrative trainings and services. 

Did you know that most corporate environments pay EMS vendors up to $250 per person to just give a 4 hour first aid class?    Then some punkass kid from Cintas comes in, takes 5 people into a conference room for 4 hours, shows a video, teaches basic first aid, let's the 5 participants practice, gives them a card, and walks out with $1250 cashola!  lol  Crazy money in these services!
Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy
+731|6688|Tampa Bay Florida
The company is a disgrace to America.  My mother gets all sorts of clients reporting from abuse, lack of support, and all other sorts of shit coming from Wal-Mart.  The fact that so many people voted overall good company really says something...... and it scares me.  Wal-Mart is only good to the people who benefit from it at the expense of others.  Their products suck ass (Wal-Mart airsoft guns fall apart within 2 weeks of purchase), they're employees constantly suffer, and they exploit cheap labor from outsourcing, while still claiming to be a "good for America" company.

Last edited by Spearhead (2006-11-09 17:06:12)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard